Old 07-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
You're right, Bill, name tags are a good idea. That's why the host and hostess at neighborhood get-togethers, or those friendly volunteer appreciation lunches will always have name tags for attendees to fill out and stick on their breast.

It took the WBCCI to take this pleasant idea and make it a tyrannical, compulsory expectation with fines and public humiliation for anyone who fails to comply. Just as it was once fun and entertaining to fly flags before the WBCCI developed its dreaded flag protocol.
klevan,

I think that with the exception of the "approved" flags, the flag protocol is just a repeat of the proper display and respect for the flag.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
klevan,

I think that with the exception of the "approved" flags, the flag protocol is just a repeat of the proper display and respect for the flag.

Bill
Bill is right, search the web and compare the results to what is outlined in the Blue Book and you will find the WBCCI follows "standard" flag protocol.

I have no problem with following protocol, though I do fly "unapproved" flags in the correct manner without any guilt.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I think name badges are great too, and I wear one whenever I have one and remember to put it on. I think name badge requirements are just plain silly.

-J
Yep, I'm with you dougjamie on the requirement part. But, I'm happy to wear mine when we have a bunch of newbies in attendance at our rallies. I think it helps them feel more comfortable, they don't have to try and remember the names of the folks they are just meeting (at least right away).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
some units in some regions DO have Rally Rules
I am familiar with (and a member of) NorCal and often refer people that way for its type of experience. I attend their rallies when I can. Its quite a contrast to what is being done over the hill and some like things one way, others like things another. We don't mind and think its a good thing that a broad range of experience is close to hand. We encourage all to participate in the way that suits them.

But I think there is a bit of confusion here between the official meeting rallies of a Unit and other things that the members of the Unit can do using the Unit to provide appropriate assistance such as for communication and moral support. Try his advice:

Quote:
believe it is time to think outside the box
consider:

Does the Unit governance bylaws or policies preclude its members from going RVing in their Airstreams outside of Unit annointed activities? I don't think so.

Does the Unit prohibit members from doing things together? I've never seen such a rule or policy and it would be contrary to WBCCI objectives, anyway.

Does the only activity the Unit can sponsor have to be its formal rallies? I don't think so.

Does the Unit prohibit members from using its newsletter and meetings to announce and describe their RV plans? I don't think so.

I don't know of any Unit that will kick you out if you don't attend a meeting - that would also seem to be contrary to WBCCI objectives. You just loose a vote at the meeting which is another discussion about how to handle that. So don't fear there unnecessarily.

What is stopping you?

I think what is stopping anyone is the kind of attitude expressed in the rhetoric such as "tyrannical, compulsory expectation with fines and public humiliation" and the other hostile, antagonistic, and in your face type stuff we see in these discussions. It seems some folks think what's good for the goose is good for the gander. This pains me because it is destructive and hurtful. People get too stuck on confrontation rather than getting out in their Airstream. How about thinking out of the box, forgoing the knee jerk reactions, and working within the system to take advantage of what it can do for you?

There is nothing magical about a Unit's rally schedule. Where does it say you can't do what the club says is its objective and hold additional rallies in between in different styles (that aren't official governance meeting functions) so as to include people who couldn't otherwise participate? This kind of activity is done by other organizations, even by non RV organizations, why not your Unit?

Yes, thinking out of the box is going to cause some folks a bit of dissonance. It can be good for them! ;-) Best approach is probably not to lob bombs but sneak up on them like the old 'how to boil a frog' parable.

And there is nothing to preclude having two Units in the same area, either. It seems like it would be a good idea to have variety, such as we are blessed with in the junction of the Cascades and the Sierras.

Thinking out of the box means first knowing the boundaries of the box. I think you will often find the boundaries are not as limiting as you might think - if you don't make up things that aren't really there anyway.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Okay, Bryan, I'm tired of your lectures. You have obviously never been confronted with the kind of rudeness, criticism, and gossip that regsch and I have met.
Ken. I can feel your pain. Been there, done that. You do not need to assume that I am inexperienced or naive or stupid or don't understand nuance or whatever. As you yourself illustrate, I am often outside and in the ostracized category being lambasted about lectures and other such stuff because of what people do not want to hear. You do not need to unload on me what was done to you.

I have no intention to downplay anyone's experience. I do suggest people be careful in how they express themselves. I suggest that if something doesn't work the smart thing is to try something different. I have tried to point out what is not constructive and to suggest alternative ideas. In this regard, I'd suggest you first set aside the ad hominem, the "lectures" labeling, and instead look for something else, something more constructive. It'd do both of us good.

I put together a white paper on the Boise Rally and have articles about the recent history of the Sierra Nevada Unit that are on the web. You will find evidence of many scars over far longer than four years similar to what you cite. Amd you should see what I am doing for the Salem experience as I got a few more to add from that!

I am talking from experience, from a been there, done that, point of view. I am following my own advice and trying different things. I am taking a different road and I am seeing signs that is is making a difference where it counts, which is right here in my own activities. I try to walk it as well as talk it.

I am just taking a different approach that seems to be working and trying to share that with others who "been there, had that done to them" in hopes that the club can back to what I remember from long long ago.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
I second that
Robin, your gonna be sorely missed
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
This is a nice and frank discussion. No one has mentioned Nazis and Hitler yet so I still find it interesting. I am thinking about joining the WBCCI but do have a few questions.
  • The flag protocol what is that about, is the proper way to fly the US Flag, which we should all do out of respect or is it about all the additional flags which seem to be used ?
  • What fine’s are given and for what? I think you might have a hard time collecting from me and I would fine you back.

I plan to attended a small rally this weekend and see how I feel. I will have my wife, mother-in-law, son, and a dog with me. I can tell you that my Wife, Son, and dog better be well treated or I will take my Airstream and go home.

I hope I do not find the attitude some have found. I hate to think that at 57 I am to young for WBCCI. This is Camping in a modern RV not rocket science so I don’t feel I need to be a member of any group to pull it off with style.

I do not know Robin but from his posts I can tell he cared about what he was doing and I find it very sad that not only has he found the only way out is to Resign a position because of his treatment by members of his unit. It says a lot when the President resigns and become a MAL to maintain his membership in a organization which he cares about. Because of this thread I will proceed very carefully with my dealing with the WBCCI. I do feel I will find a great group of club members with open and inviting attitudes.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
This post really saddens me. Being new members, we experienced nothing but a good time and met wonderful people at our first rally. This is exactly what I had visions of....Yes...I was a little freaked when we forgot to wear our badges at a gathering, but it was all good. My hubby actually wore a tye-dye to a gathering and from one of the elder members he got, "you know, in my day we had to wear jackets to this"....oops...did we break a rule??

I hope the rules everyone are talking about doesn't effect our Airstream experience. I have found it doesn't pay to get caught up in politics....too much stress..too many opinions...yada yada yada. I don't think being MAL isn't such a bad thing Robin....Hopefully the air thins out and the skies brighten...See you down the road.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #37
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
T

I plan to attended a small rally this weekend and see how I feel. I will have my wife, mother-in-law, son, and a dog with me. I can tell you that my Wife, Son, and dog better be well treated or I will take my Airstream and go home.

I hope I do not find the attitude some have found. I hate to think that at 57 I am to young for WBCCI. This is Camping in a modern RV not rocket science so I donít feel I need to be a member of any group to pull it off with style.

I do not know Robin but from his posts I can tell he cared about what he was doing and I find it very sad that not only has he found the only way out is to Resign a position because of his treatment by members of his unit. It says a lot when the President resigns and become a MAL to maintain his membership in a organization which he cares about. Because of this thread I will proceed very carefully with my dealing with the WBCCI. I do feel I will find a great group of club members with open and inviting attitudes.

Jim
Jim,

Have a great time this weekend and make the most of it! Don't get discouraged with what some other members have experienced. Our New England Unit is so much fun! The new friends I have met in my unit are a delight to be with! With so many regions & units, there with be some units more political and clicky and overburdened with rules. That being said, this being a volunteer social organization (WBCCI), any changes that somebody believes is detrimental, should be brought upon from within.

So.............. you & your family have a lot of fun this weekend at your first rally!

Gail
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Sometimes you have to push back or the bully will eat your lunch.

By the way, membership is still open in the Wally A Carnival Club International and it is obvious that some of you qualify for membership.

Dues: $00.00
Officers: None
Rules: All local, state, federal, and campground rules apply. Period.
Meetings: Whoever, whatever, whenever.

I think I'll order some bumper stickers

I'm WACCI R U
Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #39
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Wow -- there's a first -- somebody dropping their membership because it didn't become the AOAI. Wow! I'm guessing that will be an extremely short list...

__
I didn't say I was dropping my membership, only that I was withdrawing. (Your words, not mine). As for the name change, you would find if you checked that I didn't care one way or the other, but objected to the rhetoric that was visited on folks who only wanted to discuss the subject. It seems that there are always certain folks who will attack anyone who's ideas don't support their own and state facts not in evidence as true. I don't like those kind of folks. I believe in discussion without the venom. I also think the club needs to change and don't think it will.

As for my membership, well, I will finish out this year and if there are no changes I will probably drop out of the WBCCI. I am just losing interest in the club. I don't care about rules and protocols and all that. (I served my time in the military). I don"t even care about fellowship. What the heck is that. I like to meet and visit with interesting people and I don't think that is fellowship.

I have talked to quite a few folks that have dropped out. In fact a friend that I have coffee with dropped out. Most say the same thing. No one needs the rules and politics. Who wants to go to a rally and put up with the protocol police. (Except 2air who plays with it and enjoys it). As far as having our own little rally, I don't need the WBCCI to get together with friends and I don't need their Insurance either. I carry insurance as does everyone else. I have organized and run several large gatherings on my own and have also run part of a very large national organization for 3 years. Don't let people scare you by saying that you can't do it on your own. You can!

There are many very talented people out there that could contribute to the club that won't because they don't feel like taking all the slams for no pay. You will never get them to involve themselves until the group changes in several ways. Just take a look at the number of members on this forum and then at the membership numbers of the WBCCI. See a pattern?

We have been to several rallys in the past and did have a good time, but we stayed to ourselves and didn't let ourselves become involved with the nit picky stuff. A friend who has dropped out was at a rally at an Airstream Park and was told that there could not be alcohol consumed at a dinner in the lodge ("because that is where we hold church"). Nuff said?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Anyone Been Fishen?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #41
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
Anyone Been Fishen?
Matter of fact, been fishin twice with the Motorhome (pullin the boat bhind). Once with high winds and no luck, and once with beautiful weather and walleyes to eat!! Minnesoota is grand in the Summer. So far this year, no mosquitoes either.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail
Jim,

Have a great time this weekend and make the most of it! Don't get discouraged with what some other members have experienced. Our New England Unit is so much fun! The new friends I have met in my unit are a delight to be with! With so many regions & units, there with be some units more political and clicky and overburdened with rules. That being said, this being a volunteer social organization (WBCCI), any changes that somebody believes is detrimental, should be brought upon from within.

So.............. you & your family have a lot of fun this weekend at your first rally!

Gail
Gail, thanks. We will do our best. I going camping with my family, in a great trailer, at a great place, all the rest is icing on the cake.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote