Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
We live smack dab in the middle of Washington State and have seen little to nothing interesting from the Washington Unit (no offense anyone). We have however had an absolute blast with the Oregon Unit, which has a lot more fun without a compound to not camp out in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Like Lewster and Zig I also left the WBCCI about that time. In addition to the problems at the National level there are similar issues at the local level. On a rainy December evening I was returning from a trip down the Oregon coast with a friend in a SOB. I decided rather then driving the rest of the way home we could stop at the Land Yacht Harbor. We pulled into the facility and called the person in charge on the intercom at the gate.

I was informed that I could stay but my friend could not. I said my understanding was that as a member of the Washington Unit I was allowed to have a guest. I was told that to have a guest required a written approval signed by the unit president three days in advance. My response was we would both seek other accommodations. As we were looking over our maps the gentleman in charge pulled up to the gate. After some conversation he said we could stay the night this one time. There was only one other rig in the entire guest area. By the way this is how the web site read then as it still reads today. See item 4. http://washingtonunitwbcci.org/ontheroad.html

I will say I have enjoyed camping with the Vintage Club and the Oregon Unit and enjoyed visiting with some of the Washington members but I just refuse to send a check to support such bureaucracy in a social club.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I do not think that one was recorded. The seminar was proposed by John B. to allow the delegates to have an opportunity to compromise and further modify the motorhome proposal in a less formal setting. I talked to our rep. and several others, but they said little was accomplished. Using Robert's Rules calling the question cuts off all discussion. This is the same procedure used last year to vote down the proposed new constitution.
I am the delegate recognized and making that motion. Many of us believed that the delegates knew the feelings of their membership on the issue and that further debate would cause more division. Debate also brought the possibility of more changes, confusing the issue and the delegates. I will also tell you that there were delegates on both sides of this issue standing to make the same motion.

I hope we can focus on improvements to the club and not on division this year.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #123
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Thanks

Thank you Smartstream and Goransons for the kind words about the Oregon Unit, we do have fun but still follow the WB rules to keep the IRS and Insurance guys happy. The clubs that are growing in double digits this year are the progressive units so things are changing. Hopefully the MH is dead for a couple years, I don't think it will come out of the IBT, to many progressives in the IBT now. Now we can work on getting International as a members rally and not an early workers rally. It was embarrassing how many early workers they had, and they kept on thanking them. I was an early worker and could have easily come 1 week later, I did come 3 days later than my date to arrive. Next year I will come in 1 week later and all my committee members will come in 2 days early not a week and the powers that be will KNOW this. Also my committee could have mearged with at least 2 other committee's. We could save the WB 30 nights of site fee's @ $20.00 or more, thats $600.00. Enough money to give everyone at the rally rally 1 breakfast. Just adjusting arrival dates for early workers and cutting down on committee's could save at least $50.00 on fees or add more benefits for the rally rally attendees.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #124
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
" Now we can work on getting International as a members rally and not an early workers rally. It was embarrassing how many early workers they had, and they kept on thanking them. I was an early worker and could have easily come 1 week later, I did come 3 days later than my date to arrive. Next year I will come in 1 week later and all my committee members will come in 2 days early not a week and the powers that be will KNOW this. Also my committee could have mearged with at least 2 other committee's. We could save the WB 30 nights of site fee's @ $20.00 or more, thats $600.00. Enough money to give everyone at the rally rally 1 breakfast. Just adjusting arrival dates for early workers and cutting down on committee's could save at least $50.00 on fees or add more benefits for the rally rally attendees"

When I asked a former international President about all of the early workers and how the "True Rally" is over before the the members arrive , his wife told me that I should become an early worker to get in on the fun !!

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The Leadership's inability to act on the obvious is just one more indication of either their lack of ability or the fact that they just don't care about the membership. Your choice.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The Leadership's inability to act on the obvious is just one more indication of either their lack of ability or the fact that they just don't care about the membership. Your choice.
Bingo! In my opinion the WBCCI has become about nothing but the present and past leadership. But yet, they wonder why membership and participation is so low.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The needed changes in the WBCCI are happening at the Unit level in many successful units. Don't focus on the things happening at the International level, look at the Units.

The changes at International are inevitable and on the way. The best thing we can do is support the units which ARE making the change and / or share their success within our Units.

Together we will be Moving WBCCI Forward!
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #128
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Some of each. They're human, like everyone else.

Leaders aren't chosen because they'd be good leaders. They're elected because they want to be leaders and so get themselves nominated, and then because they're popular enough to be confirmed. But desire and popularity do not equal the ability to make difficult decisions.

Some of them only want the perks and prestige that leadership brings. Others really do want what's best for the club, but lack either the ability or the numbers to accomplish positive change. Others may not know what needs to be changed to make the club better. Not knowing any of the leaders personally, I don't know who falls into which camp.

It's been said about democracies that, it's the only form of government where the public gets the leaders they deserve. If that's the case with WBCCI, then the only way to get the leaders we need is to select and elect them ourselves. The leadership is not solely to blame for the state of the WBCCI. We ALL are, to the extent that the membership as a whole helped the leaders get where they are today.

And several Units are doing the needful by putting forth the leadership that can improve the club; other Units aren't, yet.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Protagonist

You have mentioned that you are new to the Club and I suspect your tenure may follow the period when several very highly qualified member voiced their desire to serve and attempted to be nominated from the floor. Words can not describe the shenanigan and obstacles that were placed before them.

Election within this Club are the result of a SINGLE SLATE presented by the nomination committee. An outsider stands less of a change of being elected than Anthony Weiner does in New York City and stands just as much ridicule in the process.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #130
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Protagonist

You have mentioned that you are new to the Club and I suspect your tenure may follow the period when several very highly qualified member voiced their desire to serve and attempted to be nominated from the floor. Words can not describe the shenanigan and obstacles that were placed before them.
When I say "new," I've been a member for a year and a half, and only attended Unit rallies, no caravans, regional rallies, or Internationals. Partly due to work; my time off at any one time is limited, and when I do get time off, I often have other commitments than WBCCI.

I am, however, well aware that selection of officers— at all levels— really is "selection" and not really "election." And that hurts the club as much as anything, as it is a virtual guarantee that the ones selected next time will have the same agenda as the ones selected this time. There's very little room for change under such a system.

But you never know; someday, one of the selectees may surprise us, by turning out to be a better person than he was given credit for.

As an engineer by profession, I'm a realist. But even realists need to have their own inner idealist.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post

The changes at International are inevitable and on the way. The best thing we can do is support the units which ARE making the change and / or share their success within our Units.

Together we will be Moving WBCCI Forward!

I am encouraged by the future International officer line up. With a little patience things will change
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Despite what many here often repeat, I do not believe that most of the club leaders are itching to take office and get their perks. It is hard to find people willing to serve at the Unit level (in many Units, not all), Region level, and International Level. Becoming an Officer is a significant multi-year time and money commitment at any level, but the commitment needed increases as one rises from the Unit to Region to International level. I know several people that (I believe) would be more "progressive" than some of our recent International Officers that were asked to run for International 3rd VP that turned down the opportunity. I think sometimes it comes down to who agrees to run rather than who wants to run for office.

And for those that do agree to enter the International VP to President tract, I think the emphasis on having them plan an International Rally takes up most of their time, both during their one offical year they are President as well as the three years leading up to being President. This focus is probably more responsible than anything else for a lack of progress on other issues. That plus the fact that any president is only in office for one year - a pretty short time to develop and implement any effective changes. There is only so much time any of them has to accomplish club business and right now things are set up such that the International Rally is the "top" priority on the agenda.

I really believe that most of the people that serve at the International level do want to help and make things better, but the system is not set up to help them be effective.

The other point we do need to remember is that each of us has our own opinions of what changes are desirable or needed, but we are not all always going to agree on what those changes are. That too makes it had to implement effective change. Any significant change risks alienating some members while delighting other members. Navigating the fine line where most/all members accept and embrace change is a tough task. I'm sure this makes maintaining the status quo a more attractive option in many cases.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Joe I totally agree and couldn't have said it better. I do agree that the President is focused on 'his' Rally. And I remind everyone that they spend 90% of the time working on a event that only 10% of the members attend. But with the current constitution and the way the club is setup that isn't going to change overnight. The club does many things well, and does a few things poorly, just like any large organization.

Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Despite what many here often repeat, I do not believe that most of the club leaders are itching to take office and get their perks. It is hard to find people willing to serve at the Unit level (in many Units, not all), Region level, and International Level. Becoming an Officer is a significant multi-year time and money commitment at any level, but the commitment needed increases as one rises from the Unit to Region to International level. I know several people that (I believe) would be more "progressive" than some of our recent International Officers that were asked to run for International 3rd VP that turned down the opportunity. I think sometimes it comes down to who agrees to run rather than who wants to run for office.

And for those that do agree to enter the International VP to President tract, I think the emphasis on having them plan an International Rally takes up most of their time, both during their one offical year they are President as well as the three years leading up to being President. This focus is probably more responsible than anything else for a lack of progress on other issues. That plus the fact that any president is only in office for one year - a pretty short time to develop and implement any effective changes. There is only so much time any of them has to accomplish club business and right now things are set up such that the International Rally is the "top" priority on the agenda.

I really believe that most of the people that serve at the International level do want to help and make things better, but the system is not set up to help them be effective.

The other point we do need to remember is that each of us has our own opinions of what changes are desirable or needed, but we are not all always going to agree on what those changes are. That too makes it had to implement effective change. Any significant change risks alienating some members while delighting other members. Navigating the fine line where most/all members accept and embrace change is a tough task. I'm sure this makes maintaining the status quo a more attractive option in many cases.
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote