Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #127
Rivet Master
 
mbmbstreamer's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 631
The needed changes in the WBCCI are happening at the Unit level in many successful units. Don't focus on the things happening at the International level, look at the Units.

The changes at International are inevitable and on the way. The best thing we can do is support the units which ARE making the change and / or share their success within our Units.

Together we will be Moving WBCCI Forward!
__________________

__________________
Matt
WBCCI # 3518
TAC# GA-6
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #128
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The Leadership's inability to act on the obvious is just one more indication of either their lack of ability or the fact that they just don't care about the membership. Your choice.
Some of each. They're human, like everyone else.

Leaders aren't chosen because they'd be good leaders. They're elected because they want to be leaders and so get themselves nominated, and then because they're popular enough to be confirmed. But desire and popularity do not equal the ability to make difficult decisions.

Some of them only want the perks and prestige that leadership brings. Others really do want what's best for the club, but lack either the ability or the numbers to accomplish positive change. Others may not know what needs to be changed to make the club better. Not knowing any of the leaders personally, I don't know who falls into which camp.

It's been said about democracies that, it's the only form of government where the public gets the leaders they deserve. If that's the case with WBCCI, then the only way to get the leaders we need is to select and elect them ourselves. The leadership is not solely to blame for the state of the WBCCI. We ALL are, to the extent that the membership as a whole helped the leaders get where they are today.

And several Units are doing the needful by putting forth the leadership that can improve the club; other Units aren't, yet.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #129
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,813
Images: 12
Protagonist

You have mentioned that you are new to the Club and I suspect your tenure may follow the period when several very highly qualified member voiced their desire to serve and attempted to be nominated from the floor. Words can not describe the shenanigan and obstacles that were placed before them.



Election within this Club are the result of a SINGLE SLATE presented by the nomination committee. An outsider stands less of a change of being elected than Anthony Weiner does in New York City and stands just as much ridicule in the process.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #130
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Protagonist

You have mentioned that you are new to the Club and I suspect your tenure may follow the period when several very highly qualified member voiced their desire to serve and attempted to be nominated from the floor. Words can not describe the shenanigan and obstacles that were placed before them.
When I say "new," I've been a member for a year and a half, and only attended Unit rallies, no caravans, regional rallies, or Internationals. Partly due to work; my time off at any one time is limited, and when I do get time off, I often have other commitments than WBCCI.

I am, however, well aware that selection of officersó at all levelsó really is "selection" and not really "election." And that hurts the club as much as anything, as it is a virtual guarantee that the ones selected next time will have the same agenda as the ones selected this time. There's very little room for change under such a system.

But you never know; someday, one of the selectees may surprise us, by turning out to be a better person than he was given credit for.

As an engineer by profession, I'm a realist. But even realists need to have their own inner idealist.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #131
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post

The changes at International are inevitable and on the way. The best thing we can do is support the units which ARE making the change and / or share their success within our Units.

Together we will be Moving WBCCI Forward!

I am encouraged by the future International officer line up. With a little patience things will change
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #132
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,975
Images: 41
Despite what many here often repeat, I do not believe that most of the club leaders are itching to take office and get their perks. It is hard to find people willing to serve at the Unit level (in many Units, not all), Region level, and International Level. Becoming an Officer is a significant multi-year time and money commitment at any level, but the commitment needed increases as one rises from the Unit to Region to International level. I know several people that (I believe) would be more "progressive" than some of our recent International Officers that were asked to run for International 3rd VP that turned down the opportunity. I think sometimes it comes down to who agrees to run rather than who wants to run for office.

And for those that do agree to enter the International VP to President tract, I think the emphasis on having them plan an International Rally takes up most of their time, both during their one offical year they are President as well as the three years leading up to being President. This focus is probably more responsible than anything else for a lack of progress on other issues. That plus the fact that any president is only in office for one year - a pretty short time to develop and implement any effective changes. There is only so much time any of them has to accomplish club business and right now things are set up such that the International Rally is the "top" priority on the agenda.

I really believe that most of the people that serve at the International level do want to help and make things better, but the system is not set up to help them be effective.

The other point we do need to remember is that each of us has our own opinions of what changes are desirable or needed, but we are not all always going to agree on what those changes are. That too makes it had to implement effective change. Any significant change risks alienating some members while delighting other members. Navigating the fine line where most/all members accept and embrace change is a tough task. I'm sure this makes maintaining the status quo a more attractive option in many cases.
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #133
4 Rivet Member
 
damonbeals's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 473
Joe I totally agree and couldn't have said it better. I do agree that the President is focused on 'his' Rally. And I remind everyone that they spend 90% of the time working on a event that only 10% of the members attend. But with the current constitution and the way the club is setup that isn't going to change overnight. The club does many things well, and does a few things poorly, just like any large organization.

Damon
#4827

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Despite what many here often repeat, I do not believe that most of the club leaders are itching to take office and get their perks. It is hard to find people willing to serve at the Unit level (in many Units, not all), Region level, and International Level. Becoming an Officer is a significant multi-year time and money commitment at any level, but the commitment needed increases as one rises from the Unit to Region to International level. I know several people that (I believe) would be more "progressive" than some of our recent International Officers that were asked to run for International 3rd VP that turned down the opportunity. I think sometimes it comes down to who agrees to run rather than who wants to run for office.

And for those that do agree to enter the International VP to President tract, I think the emphasis on having them plan an International Rally takes up most of their time, both during their one offical year they are President as well as the three years leading up to being President. This focus is probably more responsible than anything else for a lack of progress on other issues. That plus the fact that any president is only in office for one year - a pretty short time to develop and implement any effective changes. There is only so much time any of them has to accomplish club business and right now things are set up such that the International Rally is the "top" priority on the agenda.

I really believe that most of the people that serve at the International level do want to help and make things better, but the system is not set up to help them be effective.

The other point we do need to remember is that each of us has our own opinions of what changes are desirable or needed, but we are not all always going to agree on what those changes are. That too makes it had to implement effective change. Any significant change risks alienating some members while delighting other members. Navigating the fine line where most/all members accept and embrace change is a tough task. I'm sure this makes maintaining the status quo a more attractive option in many cases.
__________________

__________________
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.