Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think several people have missed the point here.

I doubt very much that there would ever be a need for ROBO calling to the membership. The group calling feature will most likely be used to call those in leadership that have to remain in contact to provide the direction of the Club in general. Yes maybe some units would use it effectively within the unit to improve correspondence of the unit.

E Mail and group calling will greatly reduce the time previously spent waiting for the US Mail to get through the rain, snow or dark of night.

As for the phone numbers being in the directory that will go a long way to improve the Courtesy Parking for those that offer it and use it. Just think a simple call to a member 50 or 60 miles from your location might save a lot of wasted travel time and preclude you from driving head long into some family function.

Yes your phone number and e mail address can become a nuisance in the wrong hands but if that is a problem to you I suggest you confront Verizon, Facebook, Google, or any of the hundreds of others that sell that information on a daily bases.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I am not paranoid!!!! Well maybe a little nuts. Jim

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I guess I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. The voices in my head are plotting against me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The wide use of cell phones has greatly affected how people travel and communicate. The club needs change its operation and itself to use that technology to make for a better member experience. The more recent adoption of smart phones (combined with Internet connectivity) has also great advantage for traveling people. For those people who already use Smart Phones and those that will adopt them in the future, we need to plan our systems to make the best use of this technology, but we can not forget about those existing members that do not have them yet.

I do not have the research to prove it, but I think the older generation is more paranoid. They are also more fearful of making mistakes and reluctant to make changes that have a remote chance that they could be blamed if a problem develops.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
They also have more experience upon which their opinions are formed (aka wisdom).

Don't underestimate them or be too quick to dismiss their concerns.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sadly "experience" does not always mean "wisdom" has been gained.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #63

2012 Interstate Coach
As long as improvements are in the form of "we have this new feature that you can use if you want" and not in the form of "we have this new feature that you must use this because we say so"…

The old, wise, experienced members who don't want to play with new technology will be under no obligation to use the new features.

The younger, less experienced but more tech-savvy members that WBCCI is trying to attract will be able to use the new features.

I fail to see the down side to this initiative.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #64
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Seems to me that this just boils down to an opt-in system.

Lynn
Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #65
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Technology as an Option, not a Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As long as improvements are in the form of "we have this new feature that you can use if you want" and not in the form of "we have this new feature that you must use this because we say so"…

The old, wise, experienced members who don't want to play with new technology will be under no obligation to use the new features.

The younger, less experienced but more tech-savvy members that WBCCI is trying to attract will be able to use the new features.

I fail to see the down side to this initiative.
Protagonist nailed it! This is precisely what we (the ECC) envision: More advanced use of technology for those members who want it. Less for those who don't. We can do that.

Just to put fears at rest, there is no plan to publish a WBCCI directory on the internet at the present time. We clearly see the advantages but also understand the concerns. Right now we have much less contentious matters to address first - the new website, perhaps a modern database and integrating the two, on-line memberships, on-line renewals through unit websites (perhaps eventually through wbcci.org). It's a long list and we are working our way through it.

We do appreciate your patience and the good ideas this discussion has given us. Don't stop now!

Carolyn
WBCCI Electronic Communications Committee
Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The old, wise, experienced members who don't want to play with new technology ...

The younger, less experienced but more tech-savvy members...
I take exception to your statement. I am up with the technology as I use it for my business. Sometimes there are issues that go beyond technology such as privacy issues.

I don't have my information published in the hard copy database (annual WBCCI directory) as I don't want it out for public consumption. I do that by not renewing until it is too late to have the information published.

I have multiple e-mail addresses but the WBCCI does not have any of them as they have no need for it. There is nothing so important from the WBCCI that I need instant communication. All the information I need related to the WBCCI I can get online from WBCCI or the units websites.

You can be condescending and arrogant because you believe that it is only the younger generation who are tech-savvy. However it doesn't make you right.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #67

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
I take exception to your statement. I am up with the technology as I use it for my business. Sometimes there are issues that go beyond technology such as privacy issues.

I don't have my information published in the hard copy database (annual WBCCI directory) as I don't want it out for public consumption. I do that by not renewing until it is too late to have the information published.

I have multiple e-mail addresses but the WBCCI does not have any of them as they have no need for it. There is nothing so important from the WBCCI that I need instant communication. All the information I need related to the WBCCI I can get online from WBCCI or the units websites.

You can be condescending and arrogant because you believe that it is only the younger generation who are tech-savvy. However it doesn't make you right.
I apologize for upsetting you. Since you hadn't posted to this thread before, I had no way of knowing that you'd be offended. It was not my intention to upset anyone. For the record, since I'm in my mid-fifties, I'm hardly a young'un myself.

Please consider the context, since the post that caused offense was a direct reply to a couple of posts, first by dwightdi, that said, "I do not have the research to prove it, but I think the older generation is more paranoid. They are also more fearful of making mistakes and reluctant to make changes that have a remote chance that they could be blamed if a problem develops." And another by mbmbstreamer that said, "They also have more experience upon which their opinions are formed (aka wisdom)."

So, yes, I was intentionally a bit snarky, for taking the opposing viewpoint to others who previously brought age into the discussion. Again I apologize. I guess it just proves that older IS smarter, after all!

But I also posted a comment that said, "As I see it, the biggest hurdle here is to ensure that unauthorized people can't get hold of the information. No one wants to open themselves up to potential identity theft, so any means of making this information available to members MUST be secure, without making it too hard for authorized people to access."

I clearly AM aware of the privacy issues. Being aware of the issues does not automatically mean that I want to be unreachable, however.

Since I clearly am causing more problems than I'm solving, I'll unsubscribe to this thread now, and let you guys continue the discussion without me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Protagonist:

Please do not leave the thread. I'm just a little cranky lately for non Airstream reasons. Sorry.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #69
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
At this point, we have not got the members' permission to make their information directly available over the internet. Only 60% of our members currently utilize the internet so we also need to get all important communications to those 40% of the members who do not use the internet.
I saw this post a few weeks ago and found it very interesting. After reading the recent issue of Blue Beret I decided to take time to comment on the above and the article of interest in the Blue Beret.

Regarding above - yes we need to be flexible and provide useful means of communication to those who do not use the internet. If 40% of our club does not use the internet that alone indicates why we have some of the problems discussed on these forums. If 40% of our club does not use the internet then they are severely handicapped when it comes to understanding why the club is attracting so few new members. If 40% of our club lives their lives in a pre-1990's frame of mind it is obvious why I cannot renew my membership online and why I cannot obtain electronic access to member information.

So my suggestion is... provide all member information in an electronic format. Preferably in a searchable, sortable data format (or with a searchable, sortable GUI) so I can easily find my WBCCI friends, identify WBCCI preferred suppliers, easily obtain information on members by state, city, etc. For the 40% who do not use the internet they can obtain the printed copy of the membership directory via snail mail.

On to the article in the Blue Beret - it was interesting to see the plea from the WBCCI membership chairmain regarding a volunteer to create a map showing all courtesy parking. The chairman does not refer to an elctronic/interactive map so I can only presume this would be a printed/stagnant map. While courtesy parking is a wonderful hidden gem within the WBCCI community, and we should all make more use of it, I find it interesting that we're considering a volunteer to "make a map." So here's the next suggestion... Make the same electronic member information available via computer/smart phone app so we can easily identify courtesy parking opportunities.

All this relates back to the post above and to my prior suggestions regarding WBCCI member data. If the WBCCI information were in a true relational database many of these issues listed in this thread could be addressed. The data would obviously need to be secure and only available to current members. There are any number of electronic login methods to verify current membership - most of us use them every day - when we login to check account balances, shop online, etc. Let's apply those same security measures to the member data and make it available to all members. Then the member numbers could be searched, the courtesy parking locations could be identified, renewals could be done online, and we'd be looking like a 21st century club rather than a mid 1970's club.

If the data is only available via a secure portal I don't see any need to obtain "permission" from the membership. The portal is simply the electronic version of the directory rather than a printed version of the directory.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I would like to second nvstysly's above post. We, as a collective group need to approach this with a mindset not of our own generation, but from someone in their early 20's possibly even late teens. We should also look to future proof the work which is now being done.

The new website looks great, and has a lot o good information. The contrast is quite stark hen you follow some of the links which take yo to old formats.

Well done.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com