Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
FYI - 2012 Sedalia MO, 2013 Huron SD, 2014 Gillette WY
Thanks for the schedule Munimula.
Gillette is the most western of the location. roughly 1800 miles from the east coast, 3600 round trip, getting there is a vacation in its self.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
As they say ItsIt...an Airstreamer reaches his/her destination the moment he/she is hitched up and seated behind the wheel.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
FYI - 2012 Sedalia MO, 2013 Huron SD, 2014 Gillette WY
Thanks.

Quote:
Oh yeah...and GO RANGERS!!!!
Let's go Caps!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
First of all I am not a current member. These are some ideas that have crossed my mind, be it my own ideas or someone else's.

1. Renew membership in the month you join, just like the DMV uses your birthday.
2. MAL's have a right to vote on national items, can't hold state or regional offices but could hold national positions.
3. ONLY Airstream owners as members, if you opt out of ownership then you opt out of membership. Life Members etc Too Bad!
4. Voting via internet, including at the international rally, international membership meeting should be on the web start to finish, this way those of use working stiffs could still participate, and vote on items brought to the membership

Just a few items and thoughts.
Ted
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #45
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenpow View Post
1. Renew membership in the month you join, just like the DMV uses your birthday.
4. Voting via internet, including at the international rally, international membership meeting should be on the web start to finish, this way those of use working stiffs could still participate, and vote on items brought to the membership.
I agree wholeheartedly with all four points, but only points 1 and 4 are on-topic, as they're the only ones related to technology to improve WBCCI. Points 2 and 3 have been argued ad infinitum on other threads, and I'd hate to see this thread hijacked by people who just keep rehashing the same tired old differences of opinion.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Purpose of the ECC & this tread

This thread was started by a member of the ECC to illicit ideas that might be used by the ECC to use electronics and technology to improve communication within the club and enrich the member experience. That also is the purpose the ECC was formed. Communication within the club includes the use of the internet, (websites & emails) as well as the club magazine (Blue Beret) and other person to person communication. We have added email addresses to our national directory and many units have included the member's cell phone numbers as well as their land lines in their directories. Also the new national website is structured to be readable on smart cell phones. At this point, we have not got the members' permission to make their information directly available over the internet. Only 60% of our members currently utilize the internet so we also need to get all important communications to those 40% of the members who do not use the internet.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The meeting with the Executive committee has approved our broader use of our existing contract with "Constant Contact" beyond its exclusive use by the Marketing Committee. By using the new club database, we can now send out information to selected groups of our members via email.

An example of how the club might better use emerging technology would be: to seek the EC's approval to investigate the possibility of interfacing the new club database with an auto-dialer to make phone calls to selected groups of members in the future. 99% of our members have phones.

Another example would be: to seek EC's approval to include the members cell phone numbers within the national database. Since many cell phone contracts assess a charge on incoming calls, this would have to be an "opt in" option on the dues renewal form for next year. If approved, we could make contract with our members, even when they are on the road enjoying their Airstreams. The individual club members would also be able to reach other members on the road.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Dwight,

You may make my information available. (It all ready is via various internet searches) WBCCI 10199
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #49

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Another example would be: to seek EC's approval to include the members cell phone numbers within the national database. Since many cell phone contracts assess a charge on incoming calls, this would have to be an "opt in" option on the dues renewal form for next year. If approved, we could make contract with our members, even when they are on the road enjoying their Airstreams. The individual club members would also be able to reach other members on the road.
As I see it, the biggest hurdle here is to ensure that unauthorized people can't get hold of the information. No one wants to open themselves up to potential identity theft, so any means of making this information available to members MUST be secure, without making it too hard for authorized people to access. Until you can assure members of that, you'll be unlikely to get a lot of takers.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
The meeting with the Executive committee has approved our broader use of our existing contract with "Constant Contact" beyond its exclusive use by the Marketing Committee. By using the new club database, we can now send out information to selected groups of our members via email.

An example of how the club might better use emerging technology would be: to seek the EC's approval to investigate the possibility of interfacing the new club database with an auto-dialer to make phone calls to selected groups of members in the future. 99% of our members have phones.

I do not like either of these suggestions, the last thing I want is more ROBO CALLS at meal time. Why publish cell numbers? The Blue Book already gives out to much personal information such as address.

Gary
Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
While I have no objection to my phone being in the directory, I am strongly against any kind of automated calls.
I have no problem with E mails because I can deal with them at my leisure.

As I have said before , I believe far more than 60 % of the members have e mail but have not turned in their addresses for publication due to spam concerns
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #52

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I do not like either of these suggestions, the last thing I want is more ROBO CALLS at meal time. Why publish cell numbers? The Blue Book already gives out to much personal information such as address.
The answer to that is simple… Just don't "opt in" to having your cell number listed in the database, then the database won't be able to auto-dial you, thus exempting you from both options.

It seems to me that they're trying to bring WBCCI into the 21st century, but they're leaving an out for the people who want to remain entrenched in the 20th.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Disliking phone calls hardly puts you in the last century. I seldom use a phone either cell or otherwise and look at any non emergency call as a nuisance. Being able to opt out would be great! Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I think you miss the point. Typically those who don't use e-mail, DO rely on telephone communication. It is that group we need to reach if electronic communication is to be relied upon.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I consider emails a pain also. I do not like to talk to anyone, I lie also. Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Apparently WBCCI needs a "paranoia factor" - ranging from 1-5, where 1 is "post my address, phone, and email address, it's all fine, in any directory that is available only to members", and 5 is "don't even list me in the directory; I'm an unperson", and each member can pick which one they want.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think several people have missed the point here.

I doubt very much that there would ever be a need for ROBO calling to the membership. The group calling feature will most likely be used to call those in leadership that have to remain in contact to provide the direction of the Club in general. Yes maybe some units would use it effectively within the unit to improve correspondence of the unit.

E Mail and group calling will greatly reduce the time previously spent waiting for the US Mail to get through the rain, snow or dark of night.

As for the phone numbers being in the directory that will go a long way to improve the Courtesy Parking for those that offer it and use it. Just think a simple call to a member 50 or 60 miles from your location might save a lot of wasted travel time and preclude you from driving head long into some family function.

Yes your phone number and e mail address can become a nuisance in the wrong hands but if that is a problem to you I suggest you confront Verizon, Facebook, Google, or any of the hundreds of others that sell that information on a daily bases.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I am not paranoid!!!! Well maybe a little nuts. Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #59

2012 Interstate Coach
I guess I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. The voices in my head are plotting against me.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The wide use of cell phones has greatly affected how people travel and communicate. The club needs change its operation and itself to use that technology to make for a better member experience. The more recent adoption of smart phones (combined with Internet connectivity) has also great advantage for traveling people. For those people who already use Smart Phones and those that will adopt them in the future, we need to plan our systems to make the best use of this technology, but we can not forget about those existing members that do not have them yet.

I do not have the research to prove it, but I think the older generation is more paranoid. They are also more fearful of making mistakes and reluctant to make changes that have a remote chance that they could be blamed if a problem develops.
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com