Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
How to improve the WBCCI

Terry suggested that this thread be started to list the ways that the club can be improved and to bring in more members. It is easy to knock the club and to point out it's weaknesses. Please don't list what is wrong with the club unless you have a suggestion on how to fix it. I'll go first:

Many people talk about how they do not fit in with their local unit. At that point they drop out or become a MAL. I suggest that if you do not like the unit(s) that are local to you, start a new one. I was fortunate enough to be asked to help form the 4CU with several other people. It took a few determined people and alot of support, but it was worth the work. Last night we started to plan our activites for the rest of the year and I am excited about the thing we will be doing and the placed we will be visiting.

A few days ago the IBT granted us our wings, watch us fly!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Many people say there is not enough for younger, working families.
We can have more Friday-Sunday rallies. Summer is a great time for water parks and picnics, there doesn't need to be a business meeting every time there is a rally. Have a pot luck Friday, take everybody to a museum, baseball game, water park, on Saturday, with a movie shown Saturday evening. Have Sunday morning brunch, and everyone can leave for home before noon. There can be a family rally every month, and a rally for the more mature members also once a month, two weeks apart from each other.
There can be an Easter rally, with an easter egg hunt for the younger crowd, and Easter dinner that evening.
There can be a Memorial Day rally, with cookouts and fireworks. Both the above are long weekends, so it would not be a hardship for most working families.
There can be a Family rally at International, with activities geared toward families that are attending International. Maybe an area slightly apart from the more mature members, and an area to keep track of the young 'uns (commonly called day care).
These are things that most families would be able to take thier kids to, and if they're not careful everybody may have a good time.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Anytime a seminar is set for a rally, set some for the kids and start teaching them about Airstreams, different styles, sizes, how to load them, why space is limited, or even start teaching them about the history of the WBCCI. Teenagers who are learning to drive might be interested in towing lessons, safety, and the how to's and why's of owning a coach. It can be done with out using an actual tv or coach. It would be a slow go, but interest would build.

Have entertainment seperate from the adults for young kids and older ones, I would chaperon them, and know many more who would help.

I still think a playground area at each huge event would help. We have committees for everything else, let's have one for the kids.

Social hours for different age groups, at different times so people will feel more atuned to each other. I would say anyone could attend any group, but only if they want to.

People have different wants and needs at different ages. The older WBCCI members are use to doing things one way and seem to forget the rest of us. I do like the pomp and circumstance attributed to the rallys, and feel if kids, teens and everyone else had a part in it, it may survive.

Marie
Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We are a product of not being happy with the methods of our local unit - but unfortunately it would be pretty radical for us to start a new unit in our Province. So we will wait for the dynamic of that Unit to grow a bit with the times and peoples interests in the "Wally" era if you want to call it.

Down to earth not needing full services all the time and camping in the true sense. To think 3 years ago we were so pumped to join this Club and to be so deflated with our own efforts at "fitting in".

If not for our spontaneous love of vintage airstreams and finding this forum with so many really cool people we would have left long ago. But right now even though some may call it silly - our vintage trailers and our big red numbers are all we have to keep us going.

Once we finish the two projects we will be ready to jump back in.

In the interim - one key problem we see is the entire membership system - the dues structure, the privileges for each "class", the administration of the membership system. To include Unit structure and lack of monitored size of units too large can be huge deterants to successful events, and a barrier for many to come forth to offer assistance to host events.

Over the past 3 years I have watched this "Club" spend tremendous time, effort and money over two single issues - Name Change - to what avail and recently the MOHO issue. Looking back to the questionaire I honestly feel that if the same effort was transferred to some of the real "human" issues of this club - you know the ones that the actual members are asking for - over and over and over.

You just have to read through all the threads here - and the lack of threads at the WBCCI website to see a very blatant trend.

The days of structure in our society are gone! - look around us - we never know if we will be here tomorrow or not!!!!

Good friends, good food, travel adventure and commoroderie is what this should all be about - NOT commerce, not licensing and this cloak and dager stuff called politics has no place in this organization and should be trashed somehow.......

A serious question as to the efficient use of funds really needs to be addressed at ALL levels of the IBT and WBCCI.

Club structure to include Intra-Clubs is lacking in continuity and identity and is a much more important issue to look at involving a lot more members - than even the MOHO issue. What happened to all those people over the years where a particular airstream product was discontinued - did we have a similar vote or fiasco that we have followed for a full year here?

What has happened to the other intra-clubs - I know they can not be as active as one of the Intra-Clubs VAC.

What is the purpose of Regions??? are they a duplication of efforts or are they not functioning as they should within this infrastructure?

Sorry if I have prattled - I have refrained from all this for almost a year - as the Name change issue in itself brought all these issues to light and yet instead of the powers to be focusing on so many key issues that were brought up - they create yet another commercially political motivated issue to the table.

The Name change fiasco was very emotional to me - making me question the priorities of this Clubs administration and long term goals. Someone told me one day to stay and fight within...instead I have stayed and will slowly build a niche where I can feel comfortable and gain a unique camping Rally experience.

We just had one and something I hope over the years will grow possibly into an Intra-Club -although I am skeptical that the Rivettes will ever be an official Intra-Club - why? cause the existing ones are not recognized nor promoted nor communicated so why should we expect anything less....

Good luck with all your soul searching to make this club better - it is getting better bit by bit as the membership base changes it within their own Units.

However, the younger people making their way through the executives - have a tendancy to change - I do not know why - but defensive and protective comes to mind - seen it at the local level, regional level and even here at the forums.....guess that is life and we all have to deal with it in our own way.

One of the best phrases we learned from our first contact with an Excutive member was "keep her between the ditches and the shinny side up!" for now that is what it is all about for Peter and I.

(But more recently...the addition of "keep an eye on parts falling off trailer")
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think picking moderate climates and possibly alternative dates would be less expensive because AC would not be necessary and more conducive to outdoor activities for children and pets and people that enjoy being out of buildings and trailers.

Terry I like your ideas in both threads I hope you send in your ideas about the admissions gate as well.

Still would like to see interesting vendors, coffee and refreshment stand, top name entertainment of younger generations. I think older people can enjoy that more readily than the other way around.

I would like to see a science fair or a "canstruction" project for charity, for the young people rather than a teen queen contest.

Congratulations 4CU!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
A big Ditto on Terry's comments. And many of the other suggestions are dead on as well. Wally worked at continuous improvement of his trailers through experience and his club should be doing the same. Constantly evolving to meet the growing and dynamic needs of the members.

Yep, very good news for the 4CU. Leadership through example!

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
So here is why I am not a member of the WBCCI. When I first bought my airstream I was really interested in joining. After talking to many other airstreamers who are in the WBCCI, the message was consistent that it wasn't family oriented and it was an over-political organization. Many of us who have airstreams also have kids. You shouldn't look to segregate the events or units to focus on just the mature or just the family or seperate them at an event. It should be open to all - with or without kids- without isolating those of us who are family oriented airstreamers. No need to seperate the families from the more mature as that is why the club seems to be where it is today. Although I have never been to a WBCCI rally, maybe they shoud look at how the forum rallys are organized - family friendly and no politics - just plain old fun. This is what turned me off from joining WBCCI, so I hope something changes in the near future to where I will want to join.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneal
So here is why I am not a member of the WBCCI. When I first bought my airstream I was really interested in joining. After talking to many other airstreamers who are in the WBCCI, the message was consistent that it wasn't family oriented and it was an over-political organization. Many of us who have airstreams also have kids. You shouldn't look to segregate the events or units to focus on just the mature or just the family or seperate them at an event. It should be open to all - with or without kids- without isolating those of us who are family oriented airstreamers. No need to seperate the families from the more mature as that is why the club seems to be where it is today. Although I have never been to a WBCCI rally, maybe they shoud look at how the forum rallys are organized - family friendly and no politics - just plain old fun. This is what turned me off from joining WBCCI, so I hope something changes in the near future to where I will want to join.
I fail to see your solution to the problem.....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This thread is specifically to suggest ways to improve the club, not complain about what you don't like. If you don't like something, suggest a way to change it.
And I have never in my time with WBCCI seen families segregated from the older, non-child-bearing-age people. I have seen the older members complain to and about the younger families, until the younger families get sick of listening to it, and leave.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
No one is saying to segregate the age groups or families. Of course all events would be open to all ages, but if some of the older people do not want to attend family events or the other way around they are segregating themselves.

Suggestions are only that, I would like to see time planned for families, teens, and middle ages, but ALL would be invited to any event they choose.

Cooking classes, craft classes, how to recognize different plants, birds, anything people might like to learn more about.

Marie
Old 06-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
Certifiable

. , .
I've been a member for less than a year. I missed the name change issue last year. I really only know of the moho motion. But how these motions came to be in the first place needs to be examined. They did not help to improve the club IMO. Not enough thought or research was put into them before presenting them to the membership (not unlike many of my own poorly thought out posts).

My solution to this problem would be to get some fresh thinkers on a ballot next year, and every year hereafter, and get them elected to the board. Somehow, successfully run them against the Nominating Committee's hand-picked slate. Have a two party (at least) system so that we can have choices as to who will lead us.

Furthermore, I would like to see future amendments to our Constitution studied by professionals. I don't feel like I got the straight facts/numbers from our present leadership. I'm not going to say that it was done maliciously, but I feel like I had to wade through too many inaccuracies in deciding how to vote on the moho issue.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Just want to make it clear that my post wasn't a complaint about the WBCCI but was intended to simply state what others are saying about the reputation of the organization not being family oriented and over political.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneal
Just want to make it clear that my post wasn't a complaint about the WBCCI but was intended to simply state what others are saying about the reputation of the organization not being family oriented and over political.
That's fine, we wanted to submit this thread in its' entirety to the appropriate persons, and didn't want it cluttered with non-solution- suggesting posts.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I would like to suggest that the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) voting proceedure be looked at as a model. They have divisions, that are much like WBCCI's Regions. Interestingly, 12 like WBCCI. Each year, a director to the BOD is elected in four of the divisions. The term is three years. This way, at least 2/3 of the directors have experience. The BOD selects the chairman, treasurer, etc. They also hire and fire the COO. In my 40 years with the club, I don't remember more than a few times where there weren't at least two people running in each division. Elections are by mail ballot sent an accounting firm, like Haskins & Sells for counting. Since the director in your division is responsible to you, they listen. There is NO get in line, and automatically be elected. You have to run for office!

They meet by conference call at least monthly, and face to face twice a year. Real minutes are promptly published via the web site, Sports Car Club of America.

Jim Mickle
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
I would like to suggest that the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) voting proceedure be looked at as a model. They have divisions, that are much like WBCCI's Regions. Interestingly, 12 like WBCCI. Each year, a director to the BOD is elected in four of the divisions. The term is three years. This way, at least 2/3 of the directors have experience. The BOD selects the chairman, treasurer, etc. They also hire and fire the COO. In my 40 years with the club, I don't remember more than a few times where there weren't at least two people running in each division. Elections are by mail ballot sent an accounting firm, like Haskins & Sells for counting. Since the director in your division is responsible to you, they listen. There is NO get in line, and automatically be elected. You have to run for office!

They meet by conference call at least monthly, and face to face twice a year. Real minutes are promptly published via the web site, Sports Car Club of America.

Jim Mickle
This sounds great! Certainly hope someone considers looking into this type of approach and speaking with the officers of this club to get ideas. All organizations have their struggles and different personalities, but I think constant reevaluating is a good thing.

Like Minstral Blue, we haven't even been members a full year yet, and we never knew the background politics - just that to be a member of your immediate unit required membership to the WBCCI. I think their fees should be evaluated. I personally feel the annual expense could be a reason people don't join or don't reup their membership. I also suggest that they improve the BB if that is one of their biggest ways of communicating with the members. I fully support the 1M1V.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here's another idea. While not allowing non-Airstreams in the club, WBCCI can allow non Airstream owners to join the club as, oh, how about calling them "rally friends?" They would not be able to hold office, or vote, but they would be welcome at all rallies.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"Here's another idea. While not allowing non-Airstreams in the club, WBCCI can allow non Airstream owners to join the club as, oh, how about calling them "rally friends?" They would not be able to hold office, or vote, but they would be welcome at all rallies." (Terry's quote, just above)
THIS IDEA IS SO KIND AND SO SIMPLE. Why must WBCCI business so often be obtuse, layered, unnecessarily complex, and/or difficult for members' participation? My idea for improvement is to simplify and make direct and clear all WBCCI business. Terry's idea hurts noone, includes those who "need" help, and keeps the integrity of the club. Hear, hear, WBCCI IBT. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #18
Certifiable

. , .
Just thinking out loud ...

Along the brainstorming lines:

1M1V

Re-think the Region system.

Bring in more vendors to the big rallies

Modernize the Blue Beret

etc.

None of these ideas are new. There are many, many other suggestions that can be made. I hope this thread stays positive/constructive and gives others an opportunity to come up with creative, even wild, ideas.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Regions

Along the 're-think the Regions' lines

How about reducing the amount of Regions from 12 to 4.

They could be,

Northeast
Northwest
Southeast
Southwest

I believe this may reduce costs and should make the Regions offices be more highly contested.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
Certifiable

. , .
I'm just guessing here but maybe some new members buy their 1st Airstream, sign up with the nearest local unit, get turned off for whatever reason and bolt. For good. Never knowing a unit just for them was around the corner.

Is there some way of doing a better job of matching streamers with units? Incentives for dealers who get buyers into the club for a number of years?