Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I believe Apolaroid's post #80 above is classic, classy, and can set the tone of all new connections between this effort and the WBCCI IBT. His thoughts ring true, include everyone and exclude no one, and fit the Girl Scout words I learned a lo-o-ng time ago: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is Silver (!) and the other gold. " Working through hardship and misunderstandings is so difficult, but the product that results should be marvelously well tempered by the fire. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Wow -- I'm shocked -- you've got two vintage trailers and you're NOT part of the Pensacola Unit and the VAC? I can tell you this -- you're missing out. Send a pm to JBond here and ask about their next rally and could you please drop by one day and meet the members. You'll be welcomed with open arms and if you don't join after that introduction, well, then there's nothing the WBCCI could do for you.

They're great people and it's a great group and you are definitely missing out...

__
I have attended a vintage rally hosted by the Pensacola Unit. Timing with a few other life events kept me from joining at that time, but plan to do so. The Pensacola Unit, was welcoming and made the event fun. My plans are to join in the fall if the club will have me. I look forward to spending time with the other members and just using my Airstreams.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #83
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaroid
I have attended a vintage rally hosted by the Pensacola Unit. Timing with a few other life events kept me from joining at that time, but plan to do so. The Pensacola Unit, was welcoming and made the event fun. My plans are to join in the fall if the club will have me. I look forward to spending time with the other members and just using my Airstreams.
You can join anytime after July 1st and your membership will be good untill the end of next year. Your membership has to be in by the end of November if you want to be included in the Membership Directory.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #84
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Okay...I will admit

...that I started reading the thread, skimmed and skipped and ended up here.

Back to the basic question....I think it was, " how to improve WBCCI"?

Start at the bottom. Yes, that means start at the basic Unit level. Focus on participation by joining a Unit and trying to make it work. Total membership is not nearly important as how many members are attending your events. Host rallies, help out rally hosts and don't wait to be catered to. If you want a rally run a certain way that would make you happy, then host one.

Some basics to rallies;
Centralized gathering areas make for inclusiveness. We use our Unit tent at just about every rally. This has been a great way to reduce the tendancy to gather in small cliques or exclusive groups. Remember to include everyone.
Campfires everynight make for great relaxation and conversation.
Create "buzz" about your events, talk them up on the Forum and in your newsletters.
Most of us are still working in our Unit and look forward to a weekend of relaxation, coffee in the morning, touring around, hiking, or something during the day, and meet up for happy hour in the afternoon. Potluck dinner together or a "grill your own" and dine together works great. Very laid back.
Things don't always have to be so planned. Be spontaneous when you can.
When they are planned have fun with it and make a theme for the entire weekend from meals and decorations to activities.
The more party like the better.
Kids activities are great and the parents can join together to manage those so that they are age appropriate. Don't wait for your kids to be entertained.
Units will need help from parents to get this going. Our unit tends to have the kids and adults all involved in the same things, like pumpkin carving, kayaking, hiking, etc. It really isn't that segregated.

In the end, "constitution and by-laws" are needed for any organization, but all the structure and government at the levels above the Unit are not needed. Like many corporations, it may be necessary to trim the fat at the top. The real important stuff is at the Unit level anyway. Reduce headcount at the region and international levels. Reduce the overhead expenses of management, streamline the International Rally and reorganize.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
...that I started reading the thread, skimmed and skipped and ended up here.

Back to the basic question....I think it was, " how to improve WBCCI"?

Start at the bottom. Yes, that means start at the basic Unit level. Focus on participation by joining a Unit and trying to make it work. Total membership is not nearly important as how many members are attending your events. Host rallies, help out rally hosts and don't wait to be catered to. If you want a rally run a certain way that would make you happy, then host one.

Some basics to rallies;
Centralized gathering areas make for inclusiveness. We use our Unit tent at just about every rally. This has been a great way to reduce the tendancy to gather in small cliques or exclusive groups. Remember to include everyone.
Campfires everynight make for great relaxation and conversation.
Create "buzz" about your events, talk them up on the Forum and in your newsletters.
Most of us are still working in our Unit and look forward to a weekend of relaxation, coffee in the morning, touring around, hiking, or something during the day, and meet up for happy hour in the afternoon. Potluck dinner together or a "grill your own" and dine together works great. Very laid back.
Things don't always have to be so planned. Be spontaneous when you can.
When they are planned have fun with it and make a theme for the entire weekend from meals and decorations to activities.
The more party like the better.
Kids activities are great and the parents can join together to manage those so that they are age appropriate. Don't wait for your kids to be entertained.
Units will need help from parents to get this going. Our unit tends to have the kids and adults all involved in the same things, like pumpkin carving, kayaking, hiking, etc. It really isn't that segregated.

In the end, "constitution and by-laws" are needed for any organization, but all the structure and government at the levels above the Unit are not needed. Like many corporations, it may be necessary to trim the fat at the top. The real important stuff is at the Unit level anyway. Reduce headcount at the region and international levels. Reduce the overhead expenses of management, streamline the International Rally and reorganize.
I completely agree with Pam. All the important stuff happens at the Unit level. Regional and International is mostly rules and fluff that does not add to my enjoyment of our club.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I completely agree with Pam. All the important stuff happens at the Unit level. Regional and International is mostly rules and fluff that does not add to my enjoyment of our club.
I am a fairly new member, but I also agree with Pam and Michelle.

We joined the WBCCI because of the unit not the other way around. I realize the need to search for the right unit might require people to join MAL and try out different units until they find the right one, but at least this approach does support there being a WBCCI Airstream club which, overall, I do think is a major part of the history that is worth preserving. Since voting has become a need these past few years then the WDCU is worth the extra $1 to be able to do that. I support the 1 person/1 vote and hope that will be in place soon.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaroid
Did some people forget, this was about getting out with your Airstream and having fun? No wait that should be having FUN. More focus needs to be placed on what we have in common then the many differences. As I stated in the reply I made earlier on this thread, I am not a member of any Airstream club yet, but I am in your target group for recruiting. I am in my early 40's with 3 teenage sons. We have 2 Airstreams and are looking for different ways to use them and have a good family time. Other people like myself can be the future of this club. Maybe there do need to be changes in the WBCCI, even Airstream has changed over the years. Where today's Airstream is still an awesome product it has changed to reflect a different buyer. Microwaves, TV, computers, and cell phones are part of today's lifestyle and built in with the new Airstreams, but look at the product, it is still an Airstream. The same can be done with the club. The history of what made this club great is still here, but times are different and some changes might help. I have read on this site advice from owners to people looking to buy an Airstream, they say to consider your future needs. The WBCCI might think in those terms. I think looking at what today's teenagers might enjoy would help. Think about what today's young families are like and what would help bring them into the club, and keep them. Wally was a man ahead of his time, the club he started is great because he understood what the people wanted and needed. He also understood change. This club can outlive all of us, but only if some focus is put towards a changing Airstream Family. Like the changing Airstream, the club can adapt too, but at the same time hold strong on to the values set in the early days of the WBCCI. Teaching new Airstreamers the basics, and sharing a strong history will keep the club true to what it started as, adapting will keep the club alive. Don’t be afraid to learn a new dance move, but don’t forget the Tango.
This is a great post!
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Let's all meet somewhere spontaneously to have fun, an Airstream Happening. Fill your tanks bring food and water and meet up. That sounds like fun. Perhaps we could incorporate a little GPS in transmitting coordinates to find the "hidden city". If Wally could be so adventerous in spirit to have done those caravans than I think we ought to be able to be a bit more spontaneous with that we have today in the way of services across America. Perhaps a caravan with a destination to be planned each night at the campfire pow-wow.

The Challenge: Or maybe you have a fun thing to do in your head, let it out, and tell us what it is. Conventional ideas need not be expressed...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote