Old 07-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #71

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I live in Florida and was A MAL until recently when I joined 4CU in New Mexico so that I could have some say-so in WBCCI. I was a MAL because I don't really care for large group activities on a regular basis, I want to be part of the Airstream community.

It is just flat wrong that a MAL does not get any vote in WBCCI. If WBCCI had one member/one vote, we wouldn't have some of these problems because officers that refused to comply with the rank-and-file membership's wishes would be out of office. I guess that's why they have it set up that way, so the "in" group gets to hand pick it's successors.

If we can get one member/one vote, we can have a real election and get some folks in office who can turn this thing around.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #72
_

. , .
improve the wbcci? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

i found it curious that a new thread would appear

intent on offering suggestions (constructive or not) TO the wbcci wigs on improvements....

we have done this drill many many times, and as recently as december...

renee (communicator) has only posted a few dozen times but mostly on just this issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...earchid=743218

she even had a piece IN the bb with a long list of suggestions for change/improvement...

and she went so far as to organize the ideas by
'club admin, bb improvements, membership/marketing, bylaws/constitution and the int rally'...

this was to become a regular bb feature....

yea right. methinks some1 changed the plan...

at the bottom of this post is my link to the original piece as printed in the bb...

and the posts (#30 and #44) with the organized suggestions summarized for forum members.

who don't want to download the clean/virus free ms word attachment.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/309263-post30.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/309523-post44.html

so, it is great to read the vigor contained in suggestions from new folks...

but i don't see any really NEW ideas.

and the truth is the ibt REALLY doesn't care.

the name change and moho fiascos are vivid proof that this fish is rotting...

from the head down!

as for the bb as a publication,

forget the efforts at improving it or making it more 'asl' like....

the bb is mostly a coupon book for old style rallez' and caravans...

it ain't supposed to be entertainment!

so my suggestion is for 1 YEAR...

NO PRINTED BLUE BERET!

that's right. no mailing for one year.

rally/carvan coupons can still be mailed to members quarterly and printed from online templates for those that know how.

play around with an online version like the newsletters many units currently have...

with the money saved, the home office can BUY a moho for whichever ibt wig needs an upgrade!

cheers
2air'

so IF ya really wanna send something to the wb/ibt send 'em a copy of the attached piece. they must not have read it the first time!
Attached Files
File Type: doc decbbmemberideas.doc (74.0 KB, 45 views)

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #73
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I used to say, "Do Something, Even If It's Wrong". It has become obvious that even that can, and has, been taken to a ludicrus extreme. Maybe there needs to be two sects in the club, under 55 and over 55, called the Blue group, and the Silver group. If you qualify for a senior's discount at Denny's, you have to be in the Silver group. Both groups would have their own officers, the Blue group electing their officers by one member one vote, the Silver group electing theirs the way it has been. We could then see if "Old and stodgy" or "Young and active" do better. I am sure that there are a thousand reasons why this can't be done, and only one reason why it should.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I used to say, "Do Something, Even If It's Wrong". It has become obvious that even that can, and has, been taken to a ludicrus extreme. Maybe there needs to be two sects in the club, under 55 and over 55, called the Blue group, and the Silver group. If you qualify for a senior's discount at Denny's, you have to be in the Silver group. Both groups would have their own officers, the Blue group electing their officers by one member one vote, the Silver group electing theirs the way it has been. We could then see if "Old and stodgy" or "Young and active" do better. I am sure that there are a thousand reasons why this can't be done, and only one reason why it should.
Terry,

Be careful where you draw that line. I am over that line, but do not consider myself "Old and stodgy". There are many in El Camino Real much farther over the line but still "Young and active". ECR cast 90 votes against the motorhome motion and abstained for 3rd VP.

I will never qualify for the senior discount at Dennys, because I don't go there.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #75
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Maybe there needs to be two sects in the club, under 55 and over 55, called the Blue group, and the Silver group. If you qualify for a senior's discount at Denny's, you have to be in the Silver group.

Whooo Terry- I am just about to hit 51 and I am far, far from wanting to be in the Silver crowd. A person should never be judged by the date on his or hers birth certificate. I will always run with the younger crowd. I may not want to be staying up till 3 every morning but I want to have fun! I have not read anywhere in the Blue Book that members of WBCCI are to spend all their time bickering and fighting, causing members to leave and that you need to be a bitter tight a$$ to on the IBT. When our current president publishes in the BB that we as members will never know Wally, BITE ME! How dare an officer of WBCCI tell that in print to it's members. Who is failing this great organization if its members do not know Wally? Sort of like a priest telling his congregation thay don't know God! Can we improve WBCCI as members, you bet we can. Start at your unit level. Become active. Get to know the folks in your local unit. Know one says you will immediatly become best friends with everyone but you will make friends. Host a rally if you don't like the ones you have been going to. BECOME a part of the WBCCI! That is the first step to improving the club!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Smile

Quote:
I always thought it was "Old and Wise" or Young and Foolish". Just havin' some fun . It seems to be more about power and control than age . Unfortunately all age groups have the propensity for that trait , remember "Lord of the Flys". There's a little too much pedigree , especially at the top , some mixing of the blood line would be good.

BTW chronilogically I qualify for discounts at Denny's , but always forget,
Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #77
Rivet Master

The IBT maybe CORRECT!!

As many of you know, I always call it like I see it. When I felt the IBT was wrong about the MOHO, I said it. Name change, no way. Need to loosen up, oh yes, etc... I've seen many threads(I've even started some) about the problems with the WBCCI, what changes need to be made, etc... On all of these threads in less than 1 day you will get many people telling you what needs to be done/fix/change/etc... A day or so ago, I started a thread called "What will you do?" I asked what will people be doing to help make the WBCCI a better club. So far, there's been "ONE" response from someone(and I thank you) saying what they plan to do to help the WBCCI. I only hope that all whom have no problem telling the IBT and the WBCCI what is wrong will take all those wonderful ideas and try them out somewhere in the club. If your current unit will not support you, I will. You want to try something different to make the rallies better, I'll let you host one. I think at this time, we all need to quit telling everyone how bad it is and start to fix the problem. The change needs to start somewhere. Please do not sit around and wait for somebody to fix it. Get up and fix it yourself. I'm someone that feels this way, "If you don't like things the way they are, then change them". As many of you know, I p*ssed off a bunch of members of the IBT. But, everyone of them I saw at International said "Thank You" for trying to make the club a better club. Many just said, I was trying to move to fast. The club wants and needs your help, so quick typing and start doing the things you talk about.

I will now wait for the arrows and fire balls

I love you guys, but we all need to do our part to make this a better club. I don't want to see the IBT be correct when they say "People will not step up to help out". Please, let's all prove them wrong!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Brevard , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
What will you be doing......?

I posted to that thread about an hour ago............I'm embarrassed that my "stuff" wasn't as lofty as yours, but I get your point. We need to "do" more and "talk" lees. Convicted
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #79
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Maybe there needs to be two sects in the club, under 55 and over 55, called the Blue group, and the Silver group. If you qualify for a senior's discount at Denny's, you have to be in the Silver group. Both groups would have their own officers, the Blue group electing their officers by one member one vote, the Silver group electing theirs the way it has been.
I think something like this would work IF you let the member define what group they WANT to be in. It goes towards a two party system, and would allow for much greater flexibility toward new members, and what people are looking for in the club.

Take this to the next level and have an international every year, but have the rally run by blue one year and silver the next. I would be willing to be the Blue group would have bigger, more fun rallies. Competition, it is a good thing. Even if it is inside the club.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Not Future vs. Past. Future and Past.

Did some people forget, this was about getting out with your Airstream and having fun? No wait that should be having FUN. More focus needs to be placed on what we have in common then the many differences. As I stated in the reply I made earlier on this thread, I am not a member of any Airstream club yet, but I am in your target group for recruiting. I am in my early 40's with 3 teenage sons. We have 2 Airstreams and are looking for different ways to use them and have a good family time. Other people like myself can be the future of this club. Maybe there do need to be changes in the WBCCI, even Airstream has changed over the years. Where today's Airstream is still an awesome product it has changed to reflect a different buyer. Microwaves, TV, computers, and cell phones are part of today's lifestyle and built in with the new Airstreams, but look at the product, it is still an Airstream. The same can be done with the club. The history of what made this club great is still here, but times are different and some changes might help. I have read on this site advice from owners to people looking to buy an Airstream, they say to consider your future needs. The WBCCI might think in those terms. I think looking at what today's teenagers might enjoy would help. Think about what today's young families are like and what would help bring them into the club, and keep them. Wally was a man ahead of his time, the club he started is great because he understood what the people wanted and needed. He also understood change. This club can outlive all of us, but only if some focus is put towards a changing Airstream Family. Like the changing Airstream, the club can adapt too, but at the same time hold strong on to the values set in the early days of the WBCCI. Teaching new Airstreamers the basics, and sharing a strong history will keep the club true to what it started as, adapting will keep the club alive. Donít be afraid to learn a new dance move, but donít forget the Tango.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I believe Apolaroid's post #80 above is classic, classy, and can set the tone of all new connections between this effort and the WBCCI IBT. His thoughts ring true, include everyone and exclude no one, and fit the Girl Scout words I learned a lo-o-ng time ago: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is Silver (!) and the other gold. " Working through hardship and misunderstandings is so difficult, but the product that results should be marvelously well tempered by the fire. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Wow -- I'm shocked -- you've got two vintage trailers and you're NOT part of the Pensacola Unit and the VAC? I can tell you this -- you're missing out. Send a pm to JBond here and ask about their next rally and could you please drop by one day and meet the members. You'll be welcomed with open arms and if you don't join after that introduction, well, then there's nothing the WBCCI could do for you.

They're great people and it's a great group and you are definitely missing out...

__
I have attended a vintage rally hosted by the Pensacola Unit. Timing with a few other life events kept me from joining at that time, but plan to do so. The Pensacola Unit, was welcoming and made the event fun. My plans are to join in the fall if the club will have me. I look forward to spending time with the other members and just using my Airstreams.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #83
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaroid
I have attended a vintage rally hosted by the Pensacola Unit. Timing with a few other life events kept me from joining at that time, but plan to do so. The Pensacola Unit, was welcoming and made the event fun. My plans are to join in the fall if the club will have me. I look forward to spending time with the other members and just using my Airstreams.
You can join anytime after July 1st and your membership will be good untill the end of next year. Your membership has to be in by the end of November if you want to be included in the Membership Directory.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #84
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Okay...I will admit

...that I started reading the thread, skimmed and skipped and ended up here.

Back to the basic question....I think it was, " how to improve WBCCI"?

Start at the bottom. Yes, that means start at the basic Unit level. Focus on participation by joining a Unit and trying to make it work. Total membership is not nearly important as how many members are attending your events. Host rallies, help out rally hosts and don't wait to be catered to. If you want a rally run a certain way that would make you happy, then host one.

Some basics to rallies;
Centralized gathering areas make for inclusiveness. We use our Unit tent at just about every rally. This has been a great way to reduce the tendancy to gather in small cliques or exclusive groups. Remember to include everyone.
Campfires everynight make for great relaxation and conversation.
Create "buzz" about your events, talk them up on the Forum and in your newsletters.
Most of us are still working in our Unit and look forward to a weekend of relaxation, coffee in the morning, touring around, hiking, or something during the day, and meet up for happy hour in the afternoon. Potluck dinner together or a "grill your own" and dine together works great. Very laid back.
Things don't always have to be so planned. Be spontaneous when you can.
When they are planned have fun with it and make a theme for the entire weekend from meals and decorations to activities.
The more party like the better.
Kids activities are great and the parents can join together to manage those so that they are age appropriate. Don't wait for your kids to be entertained.
Units will need help from parents to get this going. Our unit tends to have the kids and adults all involved in the same things, like pumpkin carving, kayaking, hiking, etc. It really isn't that segregated.

In the end, "constitution and by-laws" are needed for any organization, but all the structure and government at the levels above the Unit are not needed. Like many corporations, it may be necessary to trim the fat at the top. The real important stuff is at the Unit level anyway. Reduce headcount at the region and international levels. Reduce the overhead expenses of management, streamline the International Rally and reorganize.