Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Members not going to the website is a challenge that could be changed. My company does all our business via the company website. Of course its password protected as there's need to know info is posted. Many of our older employees weren't happy with this but in time they adjusted. This is an aviation company and the majority of us do not go into an office. We work from home so to speak.

I get my monthly schedules, updated operations manuals, to how it goes in the fleet via the website.

All of the departments have a placeholder where they post their pertinent employee information. Information that needs immediate attention is communicated to us employees via email. (We all have a company email address.)

It can be done, maybe not overnight, but through the regional/unit leadership this could be accomplished.
I agree with Dpandorf. Something as simple as being able to pay dues online would be an improvement I would appreciate. Some units already have a good interactive sites. While there are good things about the WBBCI web site, it's web presence doesn't seem to be as significant as it could be nor is it effectively utilized as a marketing tool.

Anyone who purchases an Airstream from a dealer should be given information about the web site (maybe they are, I don't know). Moosetags' idea of a complimentary WBBCI MAL membership is great. I think I've read that the WBCC did something like that years ago. More would be likely to take advantage of it if they could activate and do business online. Making the web site a more interactive part of the club and a way to actively disseminate information via mass emailings rather than passively waiting for folks to stumble on the site could potentially save time, money, and boost membership. I'm no expert with this kind of thing, but I would be happy to volunteer some of my time to help achieve this.

The notion that the older population wouldn't benefit from such enhancements isn't entirely true. I know more than a few 70- and 80-somethings that are quite proficient online. And more would be if the rest of us took the time to show them how.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Lebanon , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Many good points have been stated already , most will take some time . One thing we can all do effective immediately is to up our toleration level by 10 % , that alone will make 100% improvment . We need both young and old if we want to preserve the richness and growth of the club. It's time to stop driving the wedge.

I am relatively new to WBCCI , a little over a year , and have been fortunate enough to land in a great unit (NEU). From what I have learned so far there are some major revisions that need to be made at the international level , but the group dynamics even in our unit is still there . Sometimes the undercurrent is the most damaging to all of us.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Yes I agree, a diverse group would be the best kind of group! I want to belong to a group where everyone doesn't "look" exactly like me. Our commonality is camping/RVing and Airstreams.
Roadschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #43
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
-- Jettison the outmoded practices of requiring coats and ties at camping club meetings, including IBT and Delegates Meetings.
If you listened to the IBT meeting, 1st VP asks the Prez if the members can remove their jackets and hats (due to the heat), a roar is heard from the crowd!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
The notion that the older population wouldn't benefit from such enhancements isn't entirely true. I know more than a few 70- and 80-somethings that are quite proficient online. And more would be if the rest of us took the time to show them how.
The organization already has a sanctioned computer club that could help out with these needs.

Membership retention. I listened again to the Executive Board meeting conducted on the 26th. The president said that a thousand (1,000) new members register each year yet 1,200 - 1,300 leave each year.

We do not have a problem registering new members, its keeping the ones we already have.

Again, you have to find out why members are leaving before you can determine a game plan to fix that problem.

How many of us complete surveys when we buy a new product and also answer a couple questions when we've canceled a service. We need to use a similar system for own membership retention.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think the membership chairperson of each unit is invaluable. They should be the first cheery voice you hear, the impetus before each event and implore you to stay and find out why if you leave. They are the first face of WBCCI and can make a big difference. Questionaires are very impersonal and many probably feel no obligation to complete them. Our new members are not stats but personalities that we should have done our utmost to acquaint ourselves with. If they leave we should be able to give a response to headquarters. By the time someone is walking it may be insult onto injury to be asked to fill out forms.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think the membership chairperson of each unit is invaluable. They should be the first cheery voice you hear, the impetus before each event and implore you to stay and find out why if you leave. They are the first face of WBCCI and can make a big difference. Questionaires are very impersonal and many probably feel no obligation to complete them. Our new members are not stats but personalities that we should have done our utmost to acquaint ourselves with. If they leave we should be able to give a response to headquarters. By the time someone is walking it may be insult onto injury to be asked to fill out forms.
The questionnaire could easily be implemented in a phone call. Doesn't have to be formally done in a document form. However, there needs to be a way to document why members joined and why they left. Doesn't have to be complicated.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That may accomplish a little. But if I had my druthers there would be a touchstone involved and a relationship built up long before it came to calling down the list of why your monies didn't show up.

photography
Old 07-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
That may accomplish a little. But if I had my druthers there would be a touchstone involved and a relationship built up long before it came to calling down the list of why your monies didn't show up.

Ah man I wanted to give you Karma on this post but....it would not let me - them there rules again!!!

This is an excellent point. When Peter and I left we told our unit why - we did not want to just quietly leave and get the "call" as to why we are not returning. But when it came time for the next years membership renewal - you can bet we got the dutiful e-mail informing us that our membership dues were coming up Technology.

You can ask for reasons why people leave all you want - it is what you do with the responses that will COUNT!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #49
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
How to make it better? Simple...

Less formality,
fewer rules,
and a much more
flexible and welcoming attitude.

People buy Airstreams to travel, camp, and get away from all the "normal" life stresses. Why would anyone want to use their precious time off (whether they work or not) to travel to an event full of rules, rigid itineraries, and people who are telling them what to do when. The best rallies are those with just a few planned events (like potlucks) and relaxed friendly people. There are always enough people around so if you want to get up and have coffee around the fire at 6am, someone else will too. Or if you want to get up at 11 and go out for a late breakfast, you'll find someone to join you. The less rules you have the easier it works.

The important thing is to be friendly and welcoming to all. Ask everyone to join in whatever you're doing and those who want to will. There was a thread a while back complaining about someone (an Airstreamer not even an SOB) showing up at a potluck without signing up. I say, the more the merrier! If I see any unknown Airstreams at the campground, I'll invite them to join us. I have yet to go to a rally potluck where we ate even half of the food we brought. We often have a mini-potluck meal of leftovers the next day.

So back to the original thought...
less rules,
friendlier attitude,
and more fun!
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Kristine, you hit the nail on the head, I think.

I've been thinking the same thing: this issue (and MOST issues within the wbcci) is not going to be solved by a bylaw, constitutional ammendment, or any other "rule".

The biggest problem I see regarding the declining membership is with people. Theres a "culture" of the club at large, that is very rigid, and unwelcoming. the solution to that is..."be more welcoming, and quit being so d@mned rigid."
I don't think there's any way to legislate that.

I've heard too many stories about newbies being "scolded" for various petty infractions, by some self-appointed tyrant, like not parking with their jack post exaclty on the red dot, or numbers not being on their trailer, comments about kids, etc, etc. this type of crap has sent people running to our unit from others...but I suspect for every one of these people that has given "wally" another chance, there are 10 that just never came back to another event, and won't. ever. We'll just never hear from them again.
You don't "welcome" people by turning them away after the gate after they've driven 1000 miles to get to the event. You don't "welcome" people by not pro-rating rally fees for those who can't attend for the entire time. You don't "welcome" people by telling them "we don't mind kids...if they're quiet".

For the non-wallyites that read these threads, and come away thinking that the wally club is all about "politics": Its not. Its a sad byproduct of these discussions, giving people the wrong impression. At the local level, there's very little of this, and there is no requirement that anyone participate in it. (it does exist, though, in any large organization of this sort). We don't sit around the campfire talking about the politics of the club. well...not much, anyway. Our rallies aren't about pounding gavels and points of order or blue berets (hardly ever see them). We just get together and go camping and have fun.
So find a unit that fits your style, and go caming. You're welcome to come with us.
YES! YES! YES! Kudos, Chuck! Very well said!
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #51

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When I tried to join WBCCI, I recall finding the woman on the phone very curt and not very friendly. When I couldn't immediately provide the VIN of the new Airstream that I had just purchased, I was curtly told that I couldn't join until I had it. I simply made one up and gave it to her.

I have found club officials not at all friendly. That really needs to change.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #52
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
When I tried to join WBCCI, I recall finding the woman on the phone very curt and not very friendly. When I couldn't immediately provide the VIN of the new Airstream that I had just purchased, I was curtly told that I couldn't join until I had it. I simply made one up and gave it to her. I have found club officials not at all friendly. That really needs to change.
Another member of the WBCCI Membership Prevention Committee...
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Just read Rich Luhr's blog, he's getting a little antsy.

"I'm looking at the official rally schedule, but it's no help. Golf, Line Dancing, Unit Leadership Workshop, Vintage Club Board Meeting, Party Bridge, Genealogy Club Meeting, Jewelry Making, CB Seminar, a prostate seminar, Computer Class ("Publisher"), Teen Queen practice, Craft Workshop, Knitting"

What would be some great rally activities, in your opinion, if you were to compile a program?

photography
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Plain and simple...

When you join a club, you do it because you are interested in what that club does. Plain and simple.
I do not know how many times I have heard WBCCI members tell me that the only way to change it is to join it. I do not agree with that approach. I am not joining a club to fight a battle. I would rather just join one that already follows my principles and likes.
For crying out loud, look at the list of events that Carol just listed. NONE, and I mean NONE would even interest me.
Now, the Metro-Detroit Unit has some fun things going on. They do a Christmas in July rally. That will be fun for my two young girls. I am planning on camping with them for this rally. This does not mean that I am going to join the WBCCI though.
The overall cost of the rallies is another thing. Figure out how much it would take to go to two local rallies and also pay the annual membership. I could do a lot for my kids with that money. Things that they like to do. Bridge and prostate seminars do not really interest them, or me.
I like the people in this local unit. I do not care for the Regional or the International organizations. The International gets WAY too much of the money.
The top 3% of the membership should not get 97% of the money! That is a shame.
I am sure that there are more good people in the WBCCI then bad people. Why not take back your organization?
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #55
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Great Points

I think you all are on the right path.

Open the election of officers up to the most talented, knowledgeable and dedicated Airstreamers.

Do away with the lifetime benefits, I don't think the past presidents have earned what the President of the US has. Most organizations only allow past presidents to serve one year after leaving office. The past presidents need to be out with the rest of the members telling their stories and sharing with the youngsters.

I agree on the overhauling of the Blue Beret.

I love the idea of alternating international and regioinal rallys. It promotes more local participatiion while allowing sites within the region to be identified and tried in order to qualify for an international rally,(sites already in existence and the club does not have to carry the cost of setting up). Maybe the time has come to re eveluate the regional concept and cut them back to maybe 8 and eventually 6 or 4.

The talent is here to have a dynamic camping organization at every level.

The key is opening up the leadership at the local, regional and natiional levels.

Keep the ideas comming, remember "the seen is a product of the unseen.....ideas, whose time has come, become realities"

GO FORUMS!

Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #56
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have gotten many great ideas in this thread. The one thing that stands out to me is the fact that the club is not very good at keeping new members. I would like to see a study done on how many new members drop out in the first few years and why. Once the reason for the loss of new members is documented, the club should work to correct the things that drove these new members away.

I think hat everyone will agree that the BB needs an overhaul. The folks that produce the BB are to be thanked for the effort they put forth in every issue, but in alot of ways they are missing the mark. Airstream Life is a great publication and I look forward to every issue when it arrives. I have also found that the publication I get from the VAC, while quite different from Airstream Life, is top notch as well. The BB should look at what these other publications are doing and encorperate some of these ideas into a new and improved BB.

I am sure more of you have some great ideas to improve the club and we would all like to hear them. It's our club, we can make it better!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Article IX

Any thoughts on implementing Article IX to get our recommendations heard?
Article IX

Sec. 2 ....... It may hold meetings at a time and place designated by the President and special meetings may be called by the President or by eleven (11) members of the Board of Trustees or at the signed request of one thousand (1000) members in good standing. (7/1/86)
Just thought I'd ask as my wife and I did some serious perusing of the constitution over the weekend.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
We have gotten many great ideas in this thread. The one thing that stands out to me is the fact that the club is not very good at keeping new members. I would like to see a study done on how many new members drop out in the first few years and why. Once the reason for the loss of new members is documented, the club should work to correct the things that drove these new members away.

I think hat everyone will agree that the BB needs an overhaul. The folks that produce the BB are to be thanked for the effort they put forth in every issue, but in alot of ways they are missing the mark. Airstream Life is a great publication and I look forward to every issue when it arrives. I have also found that the publication I get from the VAC, while quite different from Airstream Life, is top notch as well. The BB should look at what these other publications are doing and encorperate some of these ideas into a new and improved BB.

I am sure more of you have some great ideas to improve the club and we would all like to hear them. It's our club, we can make it better!
I support both of these points.

During the June 23 meeting Leo pointed out that the stats of how long they stayed with the club and why they left would be very useful and that the IBT should be more involved with following up on this. Unfortunately it was basically handed back to the units to figure out. I think a lot of units would have more members if people weren't required to join the WBCCI.

Kristine
Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Any thoughts on implementing Article IX to get our recommendations heard?
Article IX

Sec. 2 ....... It may hold meetings at a time and place designated by the President and special meetings may be called by the President or by eleven (11) members of the Board of Trustees or at the signed request of one thousand (1000) members in good standing. (7/1/86)
Just thought I'd ask as my wife and I did some serious perusing of the constitution over the weekend.
Woohoo! Where do you think they would hold this meeting?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
That was the first area I noticed with my preious unit - because of our experience and the wow what did I join syndrome - We rejoined hoping to make some sort of difference but in a large unit like that you have to wait your turn to make a difference and that wait was a minimum of 3 years.

Peter and I wondered how many people join each year and then leave the next. I think at the time Streamer23 was doing stats here at the forums too and this particular Unit stats screamed of people leaving after the first 2 years.

My point I am getting at - is just try and get any answers from your Unit if they don't want you to know I wanted to sit on that committee too to help out and get invovled to find out why people were leaving and offer ideas to the new Rally hosts to make improvements - to new to young and to energetic and not playing by the "book". So you guess where my energy went .....
.....into the trailers themselves rather than the club - trailers are very accepting to your sincere attempts to restore some units are not

Great idea folks pursue it - Get the Region involved to monitor it - the units do have the information they just do not have anyone "official" asking for it or have a sound purpose to make changes with the results.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote