Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Elected officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
How are the IBT officers elected? Does a change require another (gasp!) bylaw change? Is it possible to start now to develop a proposed slate of regional and national officers from active units representing the whole diversity of the 12 regions who would publicize their agendas, visions for the club, their methods of reinergizing the club, promoting membership growth and retention of present members, and recruitment of those lost along the way, and so on? If so, that should be begun ASAP. By the way, Duane's 8 points in post 24 reflect good beginnings. ~G
Hey Max, you've stated much better than I could what I was trying to address pertaining to getting new members elected.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #30
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Since the only way to reach all the members of the club is the BB, they need to be more open to the idea of members running for office. At the delegates meeting it was clear that many of the delegates were not happy because they did not know others would be running and that they were locked by there members.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Running for office

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Since the only way to reach all the members of the club is the BB, they need to be more open to the idea of members running for office. At the delegates meeting it was clear that many of the delegates were not happy because they did not know others would be running and that they were locked by there members.
The IBT could easily include a one page form to complete as a candidate. The form would include the office running for and room to include background information on why you're qualified. The page would also include deadline dates for the entries.

Expanded information on each of the candidates could then be posted on the WBCCI website for all to review. Then its imperative for the region officers to get this info out to their respective units and or motivated units to inform their members.

Not hard to do but would take some initiative on the part of the IBT. However, I have come to the conclusion that they're not interested in upsetting their current "Modus Operandi".

Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #32
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I agree with the posting on the WBCCI website, but I think only a small percentage of members ever go to that site.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think part of improving the WBCCI would be media reform of the Blue Beret. All sides to an issue and its impact on the club should be represented with equal import. Much club business could be accomplished and the quality and quantity of club news improvely vastly. Page after page of set type format differing little each month is an ill use of postage. Where is and how much real information is gleamed from each issue?

On the other hand if the Blue Beret is to be used as a recruiting tool then that also falls very short from the mark. You have only to hand out a Blue Beret or chase an Airstreamer down with a coupon and they may think you are asome kind of fanantic from another world. There is little to entice participation or membership. If the Blue Beret is a tool in that direction than after that revamping we should also have a members newsletter sent out .pdf for real club business.

We all cannot rely on our units to disperse the needed information. There is huge variance on availability and inclination of addressing club politics from unit to unit. Each paying member should be privy to all pertinent information about the WBCCI and receive it regularly.

We cannot keep burdening the club with travel expenses to run the business of keeping the club moving forward. It also is far too slow a vehicle to meet only a few times a year and expect to get her done. Also like to add my kudos to Bob Thompson for being the only RP vote during the caps and fuel dispersement NOT to burden the budget, running in the red, with extending the temporary .40/gal and 10% again to the next year. His comments were applaudable. I believe you would find it on the 2nd business meeting archive under new business, well after the 1 hour and 37 minutes (use your slider) when the VAC report and interchange occurs. Sorry not to have the exact time point to direct you. But take a listen. Thanks Bob for trying...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The main trouble with the WBCCI is the International leadership. Collectively they keep trying to discard the core identity of our club while retaining all the outmoded practices. What they should be doing is celebrating and strengthening the singular identity of our club while discarding many of the old fashioned practices. Because they try to implement their assbackward goals by constitutional amendment, they unnecessarily spread pain and agony to every single unit and every single club member, generating divisiveness and turmoil instead of togetherness and tranquility.

The WBCCI is the only major single brand RV club existing today. It has an exciting and trail blazing history. That is our strength and identity, not our weakness as stated by IP Don Schafer during this year's Delegates Meeting. If IBT members see multi-brand RV clubs as the path to the future, then leave the WBCCI and go join the FCMA, Good Sam, or some other multi-brand RV club and spread your gospel there. Leave us alone with Airstreams and Wally; we'll survive just fine, thank you. The overwhelming majority of us like what we have, but our "leaders" are too far out of touch with ordinary club members.

Two years ago the IBT proposed throwing Wally Byam under the motor home wheels by changing the Club name to exclude him and his memory. They failed. This year they proposed to eviscerate our club's single brand identity by admitting in as full members any owner of a new or used SOB Four Winds Class A motor home. They were overwhelmingly defeated. IP Don Shafer has stated in the Blue Beret that many WBCCI members no longer know who Wally Byam was. Wrong! Wally and his accomplishments is our Club's biggest draw: exciting history and a long tradition of product adventure, excellence and evolution. Market it and sell it! The IBT should celebrate and promote the Club's unique RV history: that's our collective story and that is what sets us apart from all other newer multi-brand RV clubs. Many single brand products club are thriving. But Lawrence Welk has not topped the charts for decades. It time for change.

Here are a few specific suggestions for improving the WBCCI near term:

-- Jettison the outmoded practices of requiring coats and ties at camping club meetings, including IBT and Delegates Meetings.
-- Relax the dress code to merely something more than a Speedo bathing suit.
-- Sports shirts, slacks and even shorts in summer heat should be encouraged.
-- Make wearing berets optional in formal meetings and at all other times.
-- Jettison the military style President's Dinner and Dance and formal invitations to limited attendance events. Have events in Big Tents without walls.
-- Open up the Blue Beret to reader feedback and comment. If you can't stand the heat, don't seek the office.
-- Begin an IBT to member on line chat room where IBT members interact directly with club members at least monthly.
-- Require all Regional Officers to be available in on line chat rooms monthly to all Region members for questions, comments, feedback, etc. Let them feel our throbbing pulse.
-- The only purpose of the Nominating Committee should be to assure that each candidate meets the minimum requirement so running for a particular office, nothing more. This change is hoped to eliminate the string of "same old, same mold" candidates for every National Office.
-- Give each National Office candidate 2 pages in three consecutive months of the Blue Beret to state his or her visions and plans for the future of the club. Those who run only stale resumes of every office they have held since kindergarten will be exposed as lacking vision and any action plan for the Club.
-- Make seeking National Office an election process, not a Coronation.
-- Encourage and make it as easy as possible to form new units. Old Units that prefer fossilization to changing their ways to attract younger and newer members will wither and die a well deserved death.
-- Let Units compete for members instead of driving dissatisfied members out of the club by giving them only one local Unit choice in each geographic area. The creamier units will rise to the top while the sour units will get discarded.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I agree with the posting on the WBCCI website, but I think only a small percentage of members ever go to that site.
Members not going to the website is a challenge that could be changed. My company does all our business via the company website. Of course its password protected as there's need to know info is posted. Many of our older employees weren't happy with this but in time they adjusted. This is an aviation company and the majority of us do not go into an office. We work from home so to speak.

I get my monthly schedules, updated operations manuals, to how it goes in the fleet via the website.

All of the departments have a placeholder where they post their pertinent employee information. Information that needs immediate attention is communicated to us employees via email. (We all have a company email address.)

It can be done, maybe not overnight, but through the regional/unit leadership this could be accomplished.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Think more simple.....look at the structure - The IBT is at the top of the pyramid - once members have reached those positions they have no other duties other than to administer the Clubs Constitution.

I know so many of us "Hate" the Constitution - but it is that single document along with its by-laws and regulations that provide order and direction to the regions - which in turn provides order and direction to the local Units.

Put yourself in the local units shoes - you want to volunteer for the first time (beyond wiping up tables or setting out the morning continental breakfast) and you are spouted all the "rules" to which you must follow in order to volunteer in the Unit. To start you become a trustee - what is that anyway. A breaking in period to trust what you read and see as the clubs order - YIKES

Once a Trustee you have several duties (all of which are outlined in the By-laws and regulations) of which you must follow if you are sworn in as a board member of the unit. Gotcha - you are doomed and now you must follow along like sheep for term after term after term. I saw my previous Unit emphasis was simply on the 4 rallies they held - all the effort was to find hosts and facilities that could handle the "demands" of its membership and lets rephrase that a percentage of their memberships demands, expectations and requirements. The fun stuff started outside the constitution - like the dinners, or pre-season gatherings - the "Unofficial" events that are not controlled by the "Constitution"

So where do I think a good start would be to improve - to dive right INTO the By-Laws and Regulations - and toss every single one that is written in a restrictive manner that will pose barriers to participation by any demographic of membership. Clean the mess up once and for all - cut the B-laws in half - re-type them get them up as a PDF and EDUCATE the regions on how to administer their Units within their jurisdiction.

Clean up the voting procedures, Clean up the communication procedures.

Now the Units can breath and move forward in setting up fun events that are not so structured to follow constitutional rules. Business meetings should be secondary to the rally not a rally built around a meeting.

Units can promote their activities (new and fun ways of doing things) like hmmm when you let your hair down and camp/rally with friends and family - new or old rigs TT's or MOHO or friendly SOB "buddies".

Then we will have stuff to write about to include in the BB. The BB is simply a Regional Report and Rally Calendar and that is all - pull that stuff and make that a separate document included in the mailing like most other organizations do - and have the BB as the Wbcci newsletter that so many people have been asking for.

Some have said in previous posts - it is about the people not the constitution. It is time we shaped our club to what we want to see and not what the constitution is dictating.

I would gladly volunteer to sit on the By-Law review committee - not to make arbiotrary changes - but to loosen the reigns and to promote Unit flexibility - to promote Region supervision and encourage the growth of Units within and New.

I still see the model of the Ontario Unit (not to pick on them) but 177 members across a vast Province and ONLY 1 unit - would the province not be stronger if it had several units geographically - to allow for more volunteers, more events, smaller events that are easier to manage that would encourage more volunteers etc. I am sure there are several units out there that have large membership bases - but the core attendance would only be 1/3 at best -so what are the other 1/3 doing - NOTHING. or they leave and find a Unit that is closer and has more events.....

Ontario has a very good unit for its size and they have great volunteers too - I am sure over the years change happens to the betterment of the Unit - but the loss of membership is too great to ignore....not only in their Unit but everywhere.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #37

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Exclamation

Now that the moho issue has been put to rest, it's time to move forward and bring WBCCI into the 21st Century.

1. One member/one vote. This is an ABSOLUTE MUST!

2. One year complimentary membership to WBCCI as a MAL with the purchase
of a new Airstream.

3. The Blue Beret must be totally revamped. It is extremely "hokey". It must
be much more professional looking. It needs to be more along the lines of
Airstream Life, and less like a newsletter from the local nursing home.

4. Put more emphasis on the Regions and less on the National organization. Have the International Rally only in even numbered years, and have major regional rallies in the odd numbered years. This will make it the Internationals better events, and allow working members to attend major rallies with less travel time.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Now that the moho issue has been put to rest, it's time to move forward and bring WBCCI into the 21st Century.

3. The Blue Beret must be totally revamped. It is extremely "hokey". It must
be much more professional looking. It needs to be more along the lines of
Airstream Life, and less like a newsletter from the local nursing home.

4. Put more emphasis on the Regions and less on the National organization. Have the International Rally only in even numbered years, and have major regional rallies in the odd numbered years. This will make it the Internationals better events, and allow working members to attend major rallies with less travel time.
Almost choked on my coffee Moose. When we purchased our used airstream a couple months ago the previous owners gave us a copy of the latest Blue Beret and we almost crapped ourselves. It was like you said a nursing home publication.

I would venture to ask Richard Luhr, of Airstream Life, for some suggestions on revamping the letter and wouldn't mind investing some money in that direction for a couple sample formats to get it going.

With today's technology using Adobe Indesign or Quark Express the major makeover can be done very quickly.

Per your point number 4. I think the Regionals should be responsible for holding the International Rally's not unlike the world competes for holding the Olympics. Each Regional would have their turn and know well in advance when its their turn. That way they've had plenty of time to pre-plan.

I haven't been here very long but can already see there's a ton of talent in the ranks and can see great things in the future if that talent were to be put to full use.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
I think that the dues structure is backwards with $55 going to International and $10 going to the unit. I would like to see only $10 or $15 going to International and $55 going to the unit. My $55 is primarily used to subsidize the International rally and the IBT. Make the International organization do more with less (no perks); then it is being done for the love of Airstreaming.

The Blue Berret is a propaganda vehicle for the IBT. Just look at the "Vocal Minority" editorial to see my point. The only other thing the Blue Berret does is provide notice of rallies and caravans. Allow other points of view in the Blue Berret.

I am so disallusioned with the lack of leadership by the IBT that I keep hope by knowing that someday they will not be members of the WBCCI (unless they have found a way to immortality).

I like the idea of having an International only every two years.

Want to grow the club - look at what the dynamic, growing usits are doing; like the NEU, FCU, WDCU, HOTU, etc and what the vintage group is doiing.

However, in my opinion real change will only happen when the next generation takes over the leadership.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Many good points have been stated already , most will take some time . One thing we can all do effective immediately is to up our toleration level by 10 % , that alone will make 100% improvment . We need both young and old if we want to preserve the richness and growth of the club. It's time to stop driving the wedge.

I am relatively new to WBCCI , a little over a year , and have been fortunate enough to land in a great unit (NEU).From what I have learned so far there are some major revisions that need to be made at the international level , but the group dynamics even in our unit is still there . Sometimes the undercurrent is the most damaging to all of us.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Old 07-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf
Members not going to the website is a challenge that could be changed. My company does all our business via the company website. Of course its password protected as there's need to know info is posted. Many of our older employees weren't happy with this but in time they adjusted. This is an aviation company and the majority of us do not go into an office. We work from home so to speak.

I get my monthly schedules, updated operations manuals, to how it goes in the fleet via the website.

All of the departments have a placeholder where they post their pertinent employee information. Information that needs immediate attention is communicated to us employees via email. (We all have a company email address.)

It can be done, maybe not overnight, but through the regional/unit leadership this could be accomplished.
I agree with Dpandorf. Something as simple as being able to pay dues online would be an improvement I would appreciate. Some units already have a good interactive sites. While there are good things about the WBBCI web site, it's web presence doesn't seem to be as significant as it could be nor is it effectively utilized as a marketing tool.

Anyone who purchases an Airstream from a dealer should be given information about the web site (maybe they are, I don't know). Moosetags' idea of a complimentary WBBCI MAL membership is great. I think I've read that the WBCC did something like that years ago. More would be likely to take advantage of it if they could activate and do business online. Making the web site a more interactive part of the club and a way to actively disseminate information via mass emailings rather than passively waiting for folks to stumble on the site could potentially save time, money, and boost membership. I'm no expert with this kind of thing, but I would be happy to volunteer some of my time to help achieve this.

The notion that the older population wouldn't benefit from such enhancements isn't entirely true. I know more than a few 70- and 80-somethings that are quite proficient online. And more would be if the rest of us took the time to show them how.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Brevard , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to Roadschooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Many good points have been stated already , most will take some time . One thing we can all do effective immediately is to up our toleration level by 10 % , that alone will make 100% improvment . We need both young and old if we want to preserve the richness and growth of the club. It's time to stop driving the wedge.

I am relatively new to WBCCI , a little over a year , and have been fortunate enough to land in a great unit (NEU). From what I have learned so far there are some major revisions that need to be made at the international level , but the group dynamics even in our unit is still there . Sometimes the undercurrent is the most damaging to all of us.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Yes I agree, a diverse group would be the best kind of group! I want to belong to a group where everyone doesn't "look" exactly like me. Our commonality is camping/RVing and Airstreams.