Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Rochester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
I would like to suggest that the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) voting proceedure be looked at as a model. They have divisions, that are much like WBCCI's Regions. Interestingly, 12 like WBCCI. Each year, a director to the BOD is elected in four of the divisions. The term is three years. This way, at least 2/3 of the directors have experience. The BOD selects the chairman, treasurer, etc. They also hire and fire the COO. In my 40 years with the club, I don't remember more than a few times where there weren't at least two people running in each division. Elections are by mail ballot sent an accounting firm, like Haskins & Sells for counting. Since the director in your division is responsible to you, they listen. There is NO get in line, and automatically be elected. You have to run for office!

They meet by conference call at least monthly, and face to face twice a year. Real minutes are promptly published via the web site, Sports Car Club of America.

Jim Mickle
This sounds great! Certainly hope someone considers looking into this type of approach and speaking with the officers of this club to get ideas. All organizations have their struggles and different personalities, but I think constant reevaluating is a good thing.

Like Minstral Blue, we haven't even been members a full year yet, and we never knew the background politics - just that to be a member of your immediate unit required membership to the WBCCI. I think their fees should be evaluated. I personally feel the annual expense could be a reason people don't join or don't reup their membership. I also suggest that they improve the BB if that is one of their biggest ways of communicating with the members. I fully support the 1M1V.

WBCCI # 5971
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Here's another idea. While not allowing non-Airstreams in the club, WBCCI can allow non Airstream owners to join the club as, oh, how about calling them "rally friends?" They would not be able to hold office, or vote, but they would be welcome at all rallies.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"Here's another idea. While not allowing non-Airstreams in the club, WBCCI can allow non Airstream owners to join the club as, oh, how about calling them "rally friends?" They would not be able to hold office, or vote, but they would be welcome at all rallies." (Terry's quote, just above)
THIS IDEA IS SO KIND AND SO SIMPLE. Why must WBCCI business so often be obtuse, layered, unnecessarily complex, and/or difficult for members' participation? My idea for improvement is to simplify and make direct and clear all WBCCI business. Terry's idea hurts noone, includes those who "need" help, and keeps the integrity of the club. Hear, hear, WBCCI IBT. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Certifiable

. , .
Just thinking out loud ...

Along the brainstorming lines:

1M1V

Re-think the Region system.

Bring in more vendors to the big rallies

Modernize the Blue Beret

etc.

None of these ideas are new. There are many, many other suggestions that can be made. I hope this thread stays positive/constructive and gives others an opportunity to come up with creative, even wild, ideas.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Regions

Along the 're-think the Regions' lines

How about reducing the amount of Regions from 12 to 4.

They could be,

Northeast
Northwest
Southeast
Southwest

I believe this may reduce costs and should make the Regions offices be more highly contested.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #20
Certifiable

. , .
I'm just guessing here but maybe some new members buy their 1st Airstream, sign up with the nearest local unit, get turned off for whatever reason and bolt. For good. Never knowing a unit just for them was around the corner.

Is there some way of doing a better job of matching streamers with units? Incentives for dealers who get buyers into the club for a number of years?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good idea, but how about MAL until they visit several in thier area then they can choose the one that best fits them.

Marie
Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Angry Dress code...

I realize that the little blue beret and red blazer was a real turn on in the 50s, 60s and possibly 70s, it doesn't do a thing for me or my hubby especially. He said he would never be an officer if he had to wear the "sissy hat". My suggestion would be to either do away with the "officer uniform" or at least the "cow pie" that many of the officers have trouble wearing anyway. I know the beret represented international travel, but heck, even the French don't wear the berets much. Not only that, our Army has changed their dress code to include berets, and believe me, the Green Berets were not a bit happy. Wait a minute, I just realized what the blue beret means.... you have to earn it, it's an elite part of the organization.

Well..... back to a website to look for another AS part....

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #23
Certifiable

. , .
Perhaps some of the International officers could spend some time with us here once in awhile.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Suggestions to the club

After mulling this club thing over all day, and this evening enjoying the stars, a fine glass of Port and a premium cigar I have the following to offer if I were King for a day. (If these have been done already please forgive me as I just showed up around here this past month or so.)

1. Task the regions to conduct a survey of those that have left their units in the last year to ask why they left. (I would develop at least 5 - 10 questions with multiple choice questions that would be easy to complete and could be done via email.)

1.a. Require the regions/units to get those results back to the IBT leadership in 3 months.

2. Immediately reinstitute with Airstream to have every new owner given a one year paid membership to the club as a MAL.

2.a. Include with that membership a brief description of the club and list the different units near the new owner with points of contact.

2.b. When a new buyer purchases an Airstream have the local unit informed of the new owner so that they may send a boiler plate welcome letter to the new owner about their unit and upcoming rallies with points of contact and ensure it is followed up with a phone call.

2.c. Every new buyer receives a one year subscription to Airstream Life magazine.

3. Volunteer challenges at International Rallies: (I'm assuming that the IBT does all the organizing and picks where they'll have their rallies. If this is not the case please disregard #3.) I would institute a system where each region would be responsible for holding the International Rally in their region. That region would be responsible for organizing that rally and utilize their units to gather the necessary volunteers, etc. As an incentive, money would be allocated the regions that are organizing from the IBT. Volunteers would come from the region.

4. Institute the 1M1V by the end of this calendar year, ASAP.

5. Members who currently own MOHO's and want to stay as members could remain members by paying for a lifetime membership as calculated in the current bylaws. If they have already paid for lifetime then they're here for their lifetime. (I would not care if they showed up to an event in an SOB. Most of these individuals have already given their all to this club.)

6. I would also develop some type of feedback system requiring the units to have to report to their regions on why members have not renewed. This could be in conjunction with the format used in 1.a. above.

7. Elected officers. If you want to run for an IBT office a timeline must be established and include at a minimum a one page resume from the prospective candidate.

8. I would develop a recognition system that provide incentives ($?) to the regions/units that out performed other region/units in adding new members and retaining existing members.

8.a. This would be conducted on a quarterly basis and would be near the front page of Blue Beret so that all could see.

These are some of things I'd be proposing if I were King for a day.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #25
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
I would also like to suggest that the IBT stop trying to focus on constitutional by-law changes as their ownly approach to increasing membership. It seems to me that this type of organizational politics is what sends many people running to the hills.

How many members actually join over what the by-laws say? I know we didn't. We joined because after we bought our Airstream, the American icon of camping , we met some great people at the 2006 Alumination Celebration Region 1 Rally and wanted to camp with them. It isn't because we don't have other friends who love to go camping: it is because we all love AIRSTREAM and want to be connected to that history!

Okay, so I got a little punchy with the smilies, but it is early on a Sunday morning....
WBCCI # 5971
Old 07-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #26
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Along the 're-think the Regions' lines

How about reducing the amount of Regions from 12 to 4.

They could be,

Northeast
Northwest
Southeast
Southwest

I believe this may reduce costs and should make the Regions offices be more highly contested.
Are you suggesting leaving the units the same or what would the changes be there? Other than the annual Region rallies, what do the regions do?
WBCCI # 5971
Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Are you suggesting leaving the units the same or what would the changes be there? Other than the annual Region rallies, what do the regions do?
I am not suggesting any changes to the existing units.However I do believe that the units that are thriving should be looked at to see what they are doing right and see if these results could be applied to those units that are struggling.
Along with that I think it would be beneficial for the club to make it easier for the formation of new units.
As far as the second part of your question,I will leave that for someone who is more directly involved with activities at the Region level.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Kristine, you hit the nail on the head, I think.

I've been thinking the same thing: this issue (and MOST issues within the wbcci) is not going to be solved by a bylaw, constitutional ammendment, or any other "rule".

The biggest problem I see regarding the declining membership is with people. Theres a "culture" of the club at large, that is very rigid, and unwelcoming. the solution to that is..."be more welcoming, and quit being so d@mned rigid."
I don't think there's any way to legislate that.

I've heard too many stories about newbies being "scolded" for various petty infractions, by some self-appointed tyrant, like not parking with their jack post exaclty on the red dot, or numbers not being on their trailer, comments about kids, etc, etc. this type of crap has sent people running to our unit from others...but I suspect for every one of these people that has given "wally" another chance, there are 10 that just never came back to another event, and won't. ever. We'll just never hear from them again.
You don't "welcome" people by turning them away after the gate after they've driven 1000 miles to get to the event. You don't "welcome" people by not pro-rating rally fees for those who can't attend for the entire time. You don't "welcome" people by telling them "we don't mind kids...if they're quiet".

For the non-wallyites that read these threads, and come away thinking that the wally club is all about "politics": Its not. Its a sad byproduct of these discussions, giving people the wrong impression. At the local level, there's very little of this, and there is no requirement that anyone participate in it. (it does exist, though, in any large organization of this sort). We don't sit around the campfire talking about the politics of the club. well...not much, anyway. Our rallies aren't about pounding gavels and points of order or blue berets (hardly ever see them). We just get together and go camping and have fun.
So find a unit that fits your style, and go caming. You're welcome to come with us.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote