Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
How to choose a wbcci unit?

OK - we are ready to join; but which unit?

Does anyone belong to a unit that isn't their "neighborhood" unit?

Does anyone belong to more than one unit?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Good question.

We got invitations from the local unit in northern Illinois. However, it looks like Indiana and Illinois are mostly "grandparent" rallies and stuff like that. Sounds conservative, boring, and meaningless to us. I hope they have fun.

We went to a Wisconsin rally and the people were awesome. We're going with them.

So based on small amount of experience I recommend you try them out first and go with whatever matches your interests!
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Janet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet

There are two broad choices when joining the WBCCI - - Member at Large meaning that you have no local unit affiliation - - typically more expensive than joining through a "local unit". The second is to join a "local unit".

When considering possible units, you have a number of options. You can contact the WBCCI and ask to be directed to the membership chairperson of the unit closest to your home. Many times, when you contact the membership chairperson, you will be invited to attend a Unit function as a "guest" or "buddy" - - this allows you to get a feel for whether you will feel comfortable with the group. Another option would be to check the WBCCI Rallys page for upcoming rallys near you - - if one is being presented by a Unit in which you are interested, contact the organizer and see if you might arrange to attend as a "prospective" member. Another option, as a Vintage owner, is to join the WDCU which was originally organized as something of a Unit for Vintage owners (it is not limited to Vintage owners, but many if not most are Vintage owners). Another possibility would be to drop by the Regional Rally (an annual Rally in which all Units within the region typically participate) which would give you an opportunity to meet members from a number of Units within your region - - the region rallys are listed on the rally page linked above. One thing to keep in mind is that you can always change your local Unit affiliation if you find that another Unit better meets your needs.

I now live in Southern Illinois, but maintain my membership in the Wisconsin Unit. There are no rules regarding which unit you may wish to join. I just happened to join the Wisconsin Unit when I bought my Overlander in 1995 - - it was the closest Wisconsin unit to my Southwest Wisconsin home at that time. I enjoy the unit so have kept my primary membership there (primary membership means where you pay your International as well as local dues each year).

Since I am now quite some distance from Wisconsin and won't be able to make as many of the Unit functions, my plan is join the Southern Illinois Unit as an associate or subscribing member meaning that I am basically subscribing to their unit newsletter with plans on participating in some of their unit activities. There is no limit of which I am aware upon the number of associate memberships that you may enter into - - the associate membership is typically under $20.00 per year and it is my understanding that associate members are expected to either be regular members of another Unit or an "At Large" member of the WBCCI.

Good luck with your search for the ideal local WBCCI unit!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
...had the same exp with the Illinois group. What did it for me was when we got our newsletter and the folks in the pics were on oxygen.

Not that there is anything wrong with being on o2, but it was not our type of crowd.

Never looked at Wisconsin, but did find the VAC was fairly interesting.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
I also like the idea of membership, however here in region 12, of the 14 units listed just 6 have a web site...and only half of those appear to be "active" unless I missed something!

I guess a member at large would work best for us as there would be opportunities to gather with different units in our travels, but what fun to be affilliated with an outgoing unit like the VAC in No Ca, which seems to be vintage units only. If they allow new AS's in (and of course don't discriminate) that would be a fun unit from the pics they post.
I see no point in contacting our local unit that isn't active enough to even put together a web site

The fun for me would be a large gathering with a range of age groups....as this forum seems to represent

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Try different rallies and join the unit with the best food. I like the associate membership thing. I think I'll do that. In NE there seems to be alot of overlap in attending other unit's rallies in the region which is cool.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Barbara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
I also like the idea of membership, however here in region 12, of the 14 units listed just 6 have a web site...and only half of those appear to be "active" unless I missed something!

I guess a member at large would work best for us as there would be opportunities to gather with different units in our travels, but what fun to be affilliated with an outgoing unit like the VAC in No Ca, which seems to be vintage units only. If they allow new AS's in (and of course don't discriminate) that would be a fun unit from the pics they post.
I see no point in contacting our local unit that isn't active enough to even put together a web site

The fun for me would be a large gathering with a range of age groups....as this forum seems to represent

Barbara
Please don't discount a Unit just because it doesn't have a website. Our Wisconsin Unit is very active with a very diverse membership base, yet unless I am mistaken, we don't have a website. As a former Volunteer Webmaster for the VAC, I know from experience that it is a very encompassing job to maintain a good website and can easily understand why it can be difficult if not nearly impossible to find a volunteer webmaster within the ranks of many Units. Four our part, the Wisconsin Unit has a regular newletter that keeps members up-to-date with what is planned. You may discover that there is an active Unit near you with a diverse membership that just doesn't have a member with the skills/knowledge/time to devote to developing a website - - even though developing a site today is far easier than it was a decade ago, it still takes some knowledge or skills that may not be available within a Unit's membership base.

Good luck with your search for a Unit!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 10-16-2004, 01:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Barbara!

Please don't discount a Unit just because it doesn't have a website.
Good luck with your search for a Unit!

Kevin
Appreciate the info here Kevin and I'll keep that in mind!

Barbara
Old 10-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Barb,

I agree with you about the website thing. Just to get an email address from some of these local units is a major accomplishment. And the fact that very few WBCCI members around CA are also Forum members further illustrates that it is an older, non-tech group.

There is the WBCCI Region 12 Rally in Los Banos next week with all of the units from CA and NV. I plan to visit them on Saturday to check out the various local units and see if any interest me. The fact that they don't advertise pro-rated rates for those that can only come for the weekend doesn't bode well. I guess they don't get any members that just come for the weekend. Right now, I am a member at large.

I know that WBCCI are THE nicest people you will ever meet. I know this. It's just I don't want to be the only non-grandparent among a group. If there is a unit that has a wide cross-section, then I'll join that unit. I'll let you know how it goes.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:45 AM   #10

1972 23' Safari
Hebo , Oregon
Talking Ok we are ready to join: but which unit

Hi there... Many units do not have a web site. It is a relative new thing for some of us ole geasers. Please do not judge us by that. I have been a member for nearly 40 years. Perhaps you have some misinformation that I might clear up. I think it would be a good idea to join a unit that is close to where you live. Most units send out a monthly newsletter to keep members up to speed on what is happening and where. Also see the Blue Beret for every regions happenings, as well as the WBCCI directory. You will always be welcomed by any unit. The Vintage Club is suppost to be a club within the WBCCI and not a separate organization. I know that they sometimes allow Vintage owners to join without joining WBCCI but it really is against the rules. Hope your travels are happy ones and remember to "keep the shiny side up" A. Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin

Barbara
A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Some units and members are really big on the rules, others are big on the fun. Thus the DC unit. You have to go to events and get a feel for the units. There is no reason to not be a member at large if no unit speaks to your particular streamin dream yet. Go to vintage and forum rallys. I think you will find that units that have web sites are younger and more motivated to be inclusive. The older folks are comfortable with the newsletter format as it's within their skill set, a top down process and not interactive like the forum. In any case get involved, go camping, have fun. None of this is really important in the big picture. It's "recreational".

Now I've done it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
None of this is really important in the big picture. It's "recreational".

Now I've done it.
Not important? Expect the aluminum-worshipers enforcement squad to knock on your door any moment!

AirForums Custom Search
Old 10-21-2004, 06:04 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Yes, Janet. We live in Southwest Florida, but we belong to the Florida Springs unit, something like 150 miles away. That particular unit has a somewhat younger outlook than units closer to home, and since I haven't yet celebrated my 100th birthday, this is important to us.
As long as you don't mind traveling a little further to rallies, look around and find a unit that fits what you like doing, rather than one that is close to you, that may have activities you aren't foaming-at-the-mouth enthusiastic to participate in.
Come to think of it, you could always join the Florida Springs unit, it is only a short transcontinental drive away...
Terry
Old 10-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
There are two broad choices when joining the WBCCI - - Member at Large meaning that you have no local unit affiliation - - typically more expensive than joining through a "local unit"...
I didn't think the "member at large" was more expensive. I thought the total annual dues is the same for "member at large" and "local" -- $55. I think the monetary difference between the two types of membership is in the actual distribution of the dues funds -- if you go "member at large", all of the $55 goes to WBCCI whereas with "local", $45 goes to WBCCI and $10 goes to the unit.

With regards to your question about which unit to join, I would suggest you try out a few rallies with different units before you decide.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 07:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings yukionna!

The cost difference between "Member at Large" and "Unit" membership is in large part determined by the Unit's dues. Typically the cost savings of joining through a Unit is between $3.00 and $10.00 - - the largest savings I am aware of is through the WDCU where the Unit dues are lowest due to their newsletter being provided to members via e-mail.

Member at large according to the WBCCI webpage is $60.00 per year. The WBCCI dues when joining through a local Unit are $45.00. As an example, my total for WBCCI and Unit dues for the 2004/2005 membership year was $57.00.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 10-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Overlander64 -- thanks for the clarification!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:20 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I just joined the WBCCI, a local unit and the VAC.
WBCCi and local dues came to $ 60.00, the VAC was $ 20.00, I believe.
I chose a local unit in stead of being amember at large, figured maybe there's some local meets etc. Who knows. Might be fun, old people or not. I'll be old soon.
My reason for joining was the VAC Rallye in Colorado last July. I was invited as a guest, brought my 15yr. old nephew, flew in my wife and had a great time.
I figured I'll give the local unit ( south coast) a try first, the price is the same as a memeber at large situation. I figure I can always join a different unit later.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Based on your experiences we have joined the Oregon unit which sort of "fits" us well and we have joined our more local Inland Washington unit as well. We hope to meet many intersting folks in both units and of course - GO CAMPING.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Based on your experiences we have joined the Oregon unit which sort of "fits" us well and we have joined our more local Inland Washington unit as well. We hope to meet many intersting folks in both units and of course - GO CAMPING.
Congrats on your new membership Janet, have lots of fun! To all who responded to concerns of joining a unit without a website, I agree it is not a reason to assume these units are not active. Understandably web sites are time consuming to create, I have enough trouble with a point and click home page from my .mac account! Still it is a good way to get an overview reguarding what each unit is doing through the year, and easier than requesting a newsletter from each prospective unit.

Big Dee, let us know how the weekend goes at the Los Banos Region 12 Rally, and what your thoughts are!

Barbara

(sleepless in Ga visiting daughter...still on Ca time and I am a night owl there!)
Old 10-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Quote:

Hi Janet,

When we bought our AS we joined the Cape Cod Unit which is closest to us. We went to a New England/White Mtn Unit joint rally Columbus Day weekend and met people there from the Charter Oak Unit. All of these are Region 1 Units. Everyone seems to get along really well and we feel like it was a great start to our WBCCI experience. We have yet to meet anyone from the Cape Cod Unit but hope to as soon as the rally season starts again next spring. If it turns out that we feel more in tune with the NE, White Mtn, or Charter Oak Units I don't think it is a big deal to change. ????? Correct me if I'm wrong, we have only been members for about 2 months. Age and computer skills will not be the determining factor for us. It will be, are these the people we want to spend time with. I hope this helps.

Mary
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote