Old 10-22-2004, 07:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How to choose a wbcci unit?

Greetings yukionna!

The cost difference between "Member at Large" and "Unit" membership is in large part determined by the Unit's dues. Typically the cost savings of joining through a Unit is between $3.00 and $10.00 - - the largest savings I am aware of is through the WDCU where the Unit dues are lowest due to their newsletter being provided to members via e-mail.

Member at large according to the WBCCI webpage is $60.00 per year. The WBCCI dues when joining through a local Unit are $45.00. As an example, my total for WBCCI and Unit dues for the 2004/2005 membership year was $57.00.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Overlander64 -- thanks for the clarification!

WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:20 PM   #17
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I just joined the WBCCI, a local unit and the VAC.
WBCCi and local dues came to $ 60.00, the VAC was $ 20.00, I believe.
I chose a local unit in stead of being amember at large, figured maybe there's some local meets etc. Who knows. Might be fun, old people or not. I'll be old soon.
My reason for joining was the VAC Rallye in Colorado last July. I was invited as a guest, brought my 15yr. old nephew, flew in my wife and had a great time.
I figured I'll give the local unit ( south coast) a try first, the price is the same as a memeber at large situation. I figure I can always join a different unit later.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Based on your experiences we have joined the Oregon unit which sort of "fits" us well and we have joined our more local Inland Washington unit as well. We hope to meet many intersting folks in both units and of course - GO CAMPING.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #19
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE
2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Originally Posted by Janet
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Based on your experiences we have joined the Oregon unit which sort of "fits" us well and we have joined our more local Inland Washington unit as well. We hope to meet many intersting folks in both units and of course - GO CAMPING.
Congrats on your new membership Janet, have lots of fun! To all who responded to concerns of joining a unit without a website, I agree it is not a reason to assume these units are not active. Understandably web sites are time consuming to create, I have enough trouble with a point and click home page from my .mac account! Still it is a good way to get an overview reguarding what each unit is doing through the year, and easier than requesting a newsletter from each prospective unit.

Big Dee, let us know how the weekend goes at the Los Banos Region 12 Rally, and what your thoughts are!

(sleepless in Ga visiting daughter...still on Ca time and I am a night owl there!)
CaliforniaStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Originally Posted by Janet
OK - we are ready to join; but which unit?

Does anyone belong to a unit that isn't their "neighborhood" unit?

Does anyone belong to more than one unit?
Hi Janet,

When we bought our AS we joined the Cape Cod Unit which is closest to us. We went to a New England/White Mtn Unit joint rally Columbus Day weekend and met people there from the Charter Oak Unit. All of these are Region 1 Units. Everyone seems to get along really well and we feel like it was a great start to our WBCCI experience. We have yet to meet anyone from the Cape Cod Unit but hope to as soon as the rally season starts again next spring. If it turns out that we feel more in tune with the NE, White Mtn, or Charter Oak Units I don't think it is a big deal to change. ????? Correct me if I'm wrong, we have only been members for about 2 months. Age and computer skills will not be the determining factor for us. It will be, are these the people we want to spend time with. I hope this helps.

Whatever you are be a good one....'Abraham Lincoln'
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
You are only a full member of one unit only with full voting and officer rights. You can be an associate member of as many units as you wish, no voting or office holdings. You pay the WBCCI dues once and then only the local dues for your associate membership. Many WBCCI members have associate membership in other clubs.

Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote