Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How far would you go? (WBCCI content)

OK For those of you that just showed up to see what's going on, here's your farcical interlude to relieve dramatic tension.

Your question:" What would you do for a Klondike Bar?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Klondike-bar.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	71320

Now for WBCCI unit members,

Your question: "How far would you travel for a unit luncheon?"

I am actually just curious. My unit is having a luncheon on the weekend and I just mapquested the location. I don't want to whine that it's too far and be a baby but I am wondering if it is too far to be practical. So for my own peace of mind in deciding, just how far would you go for a unit luncheon?

Thanks

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A maximum of two hours' travel time.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yeah that's what it is, 110 miles. It says 2 hours but knowing me it will take me longer. So I'm thinking 4-5 hours of driving for lunch feels like too much to me. I'd be more tempted if I was staying overnight in the AS.

photography
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Yeah that's what it is, 110 miles. It says 2 hours but knowing me it will take me longer. So I'm thinking 4-5 hours of driving for lunch feels like too much to me. I'd be more tempted if I was staying overnight in the AS.
Carol, my post was a little too vague. I meant two hours total, an hour there, and an hour back. Much more than that, and you'll be eating breakfast and supper on the road.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, ours is this weekend, and it's a ~315 mile trip one-way. That's life in the southwest boondocks, a durned big place. Needless to say, that's a bit to far for us to be able to drive in a day.

Lynn
Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I want to be supportive. This is my second time around in the unit. As a MAL I wasn't letting anyone down because of lack of participation. Now I'm back to being a nervous nellie, the first time I was perceived as never bothering to show up for the meetings and standoffish. There really is a good reason to be a MAL and the vote I will gain in a unit may have to be delivered in person to be exercised so I may not have made much headway in that regard. But I am going to try.

Anyone else? How far would you go? How far do you go?

And Terry, what would you do for a Klondike Bar?

Wow Lynn, that's quite a distance!!!!!!! Our December one is only 50 miles so we may be able to go then.

photography
Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I know what you mean, we are at least 90 min. from the metro area that most of the members and luncheons are held. I'm going to host the Feb. luncheon and add a mini rally for anyone that wants to make it a camping weekend. We are going to the Christmas luncheon but will take our Airstream and make it a weekend. If the weather is bad we don't go and don't worry about it, our club doesn't take roll. I would make the luncheons you can and not worry about the rest, a tank of gas added to the price of lunch makes for a expensive lunch. Remember, we are a camping club.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That's a great idea Teresa.

photography
Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
As president, and scheduler of events, I made a map with a dot for each active member. I located events by keeping close to the center of gravity of the membership. For luncheons, that means a resturant close to the Chicago (Because that is where the majority members are.), close to expressways (easy travel, some people are scared of urban traffic.) and plenty of good food at reasonable prices (Airstreamers have a tendancy to be big eaters.) I never expected or got people to drive over 1 1/2 hours one way to come to a luncheon.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
ooo I wanna go to your Chicago luncheons! MMMM How about Carson's Ribs!!!

That is logical of course. It's not our planners fault, we live out of the metro area. The majority are well served at the locations. I was just making sure I shouldn't have a stronger case of guilt than I was inclined to have. Anyway I think I have absolution here at least.

Some people scared of urban traffic? Now why would that be, just because they often change lanes by touch?

photography
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Because of our location in the South West the 4CU has no luncheons. Instead we have rallies all year long. Our next rally is Thanksgiving and it is being held in Quartzsite, AZ. This might be a little longer then a couple of hours from your place, but I can guarantee it would be worth the drive.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Oh! Klondike, where art thou?

Hi Carol:

Not nearly as far as I would drive to munch on that particular Klondike bar . . . . uuuummmmm. It must be the waterwings that fascinate me so. But since no one has offered to share their Klondikes with me this weekend, I'll be driving about 40 minutes and into the foothills west of Denver for our DenCO Unit luncheon on Saturday. We'll have treats, but nothing as warm, wet and cuddly as that alluring Klondike bar you posted. Wally On!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Carol;
I would agree with Teresa (Blupearl). If you have bad weather is it worth the time to drive 2 hours (4 hours total) for a lunch. Do what you feel comfortable doing. I live at the 7,000 ft. elevation and during the winter time it is tough justifying even getting out of my drive way. Now, if it were going to attend a Four Corners rally then even with cold weather and no snow it would be worth the trip because you would have your A/S and a great time. Because of my work schedule I am pretty much grounded until early next year when the rally at Cottonwood, AZ is taking place and if we don't have 24" of snow we will be there.
Good luck and happy camping.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
My wife and I travelled an hour and forty five minutes to get to our first luncheon. It was the first event we attended. We have missed some that are much closer to us. Life does get in the way sometimes. When we have a distance to travel we look to see if we can make a day trip out of it with the luncheon or dinner just part of the trip.

We are going tomorrow to check out a site for a rally next fall. We want to see the facilities. It is a little better than a 3 hour drive direct so we are going to do an overnighter. I will also do a little work on the way there.

Its all in the planning.

WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote