Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

As others have noted, this is a camping club, not a meeting club although at times I think things get blurred a tad. The luncheons are just good friends getting together to stay in touch during camping down-time in my opinion, and to discuss past and future fun times. If I really felt I should go an hour of travel time each way, maybe a tad over that, would work, but more than that and a lot of other factors come into it. A day of travel and if you don't enjoy the drive it is not worth it. The added cost of fuel. Possible road condition issues. I would though either call someone or email them in advance and let them know I'd love to join but cannot make it, and ask them to let me know if anything of interest is brought up.

We have car club breakfasts 40 minutes drive each way from me on Saturday mornings. Donna is the official family driver so it means she has to get up bright and early on a day off and drive us out. That happens very seldom now, perhaps once a quarter if that this year. In the past when I was driving I'd leave her to snooze and I'd head out early and take back roads looking for aluminum and automotive treasures in back yards on the side roads. It made the journey longer but an adventure. Now it is there and back when it does happen. Others in the club travel similar distances and again it is not very frequent. Every one in the club understands that the time, travel costs, and "life" are important factors and no one actually particularly cares. We do email and telephone a lot to many of them so nothing is happening that we don't know about and when something big needs to be discussed everyone is well aware of our thoughts. It works out great.

Take care, good luck with your decision, and if you go take pictures. I know, it is just the people, but that is the point right? It really is not about the Airstreams but the folks who make each of the trailers unique.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Yeah, ours is this weekend, and it's a ~315 mile trip one-way. That's life in the southwest boondocks, a durned big place. Needless to say, that's a bit to far for us to be able to drive in a day.

Sorry does make it tough in the west here where the Units are few and far between! DenCO does have members in Taos, NM (385 miles), Dodge City, KS (289 miles) and Montrose, CO (265 miles) that regularly attend luncheons in or around Denver...they typically make a weekend of it and stay at a member's house or bring their trailer. You know you and Maria would be welcome to stay at our house if you wanted to come up for one ~

Being that Rob & I are the hosts of this weekend's it's not too late to let me know if you want to attend. We are expecting over 75 people!

And you're right Barry ~
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
The luncheons are just good friends getting together to stay in touch during camping down-time in my opinion, and to discuss past and future fun times.
They are (for most of us) just an excuse to get together and hang out during the "off months" - but no reason they can't be turned into mini-rallies for long distance members.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
100 miles would probably be a reasonable distance to travel. As pyanke noted, if it were held somewhere Id never been and there were some other attractions Id consider a longer drive. Ive been known to make a 240 mile round trip just for a few jars of mustard.
Throw in a few antique malls, a brewery tour, or some other unusual venue and I would consider making it an overnighter as well.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We wouldn't drive far for just a luncheon, but we'd drive a considerable ways for a fun camping trip with our members.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Is this just for WBCCI members or can anyone contribute?. Well seeing this is AIRFORUMS I will add my 2 cents.
I would be willing to travel 1 hr each way for a luncheon if I was a member and had a unit I could support which I don't cause our local IS DEAD!
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
All contributions are gladly accepted Roger. Need an address? Just kidding. That is too bad about your area not having active units Roger. You and MaryLou should start a unit or join the existing one and show 'em how to do it. You two would be assets, we thought so at our forums rallies.

I'd drive an hour for a lunchon and further for a rally of course because it would be lots of fun over several days and only need to drive one way to get there.

I actually have an advantage to getting to the rallies because those end up being closer than the luncheons are to me. In fact it was so close I just drove to the installation rally in October to see (Airedale) Laura, become 2nd VP, only 21 years old and she's going to be a firecracker prez! So inspired was I, that I signed up for the unit right then and there, had a great potluck (I did bring a dish) and a campfire and home again. Nice people, nice time.

I do like the idea that I might go and rsvp to the hosts. That seems like a good thing to do.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote