Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Kelowna , B.C.
How do I do WBCCI Numbers ???

Just the "new guy getting ready to hit the dusty trail ..... I have my new WBCCI #'s and need to remove the old numbers from the previous owner and attach the new one's ..... I there a "trick" to getting the old ones off ??? and what steps should I take to put the new ones on and keep them from coming off ???? my thoughts are a heat gun to take them off .... then clean the surface with alcohol and attach the new ones ..... I think that they're self adhesive and just "peel" off the paper back that they come on ...... I'd appreciate any info/help ..... thanks Brian
briandeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The numbers came with an instruction sheet describing putting them on using soapy water, so you can move them around a bit, then you wipe them down to remove the excess water and let them dry.

Getting the residue from the old numbers off is hard. I got the ones off the back of my unit using Goof-off and then polish. I'm still working on the front.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rin-tin-tin
Just the "new guy getting ready to hit the dusty trail ..... I have my new WBCCI #'s and need to remove the old numbers from the previous owner and attach the new one's ..... I there a "trick" to getting the old ones off ??? and what steps should I take to put the new ones on and keep them from coming off ???? my thoughts are a heat gun to take them off .... then clean the surface with alcohol and attach the new ones ..... I think that they're self adhesive and just "peel" off the paper back that they come on ...... I'd appreciate any info/help ..... thanks Brian
You've pretty much got the idea down! The old ones come off much more easily with heat (generally just the afternoon sun will work), clean the surface with Goo-Gone or something similar, followed with alcohol.

Use dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle and liberally spray the surface down where you're going to mount the first number. When you get the number on, spray it again and slide it into position. As long as you keep it wet, the numbers will move easily. Gently work the air bubbles out, and then leave it to dry on. Then the next guy who owns your trailer will get the job of removing YOUR numbers!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I found that a steam-iron worked well. (inland-Andy's tip). I wasn't having good luck with my first attempt, but when I tried it a second time, and added a bit more patience , it worked much better. I found that the thing to do is get a wet rag or dish towel or something, use it as a "pressing cloth". let the iron sit there for a couple of minutes and really lay the steam to it. once it got started, things moved right along.

but the leftover residue is a real bear to get rid of. xylene got some of it. there's still some "stuff" there, but I think its etched into the skin. and I don't mean the sillouette of the old numbers; yeah, I know that'll probably always be visible. there is still what looks like glue residue here and there...but you can't feel it on the surface of the alluminum. thinking of trying some "SS" on it. Do you still have that stuff, Steph? was it you that had it?

anyway, haven't put my numbers on it yet. its on the list.

Oh, and wouldn't you know, this trailer's PO(s) had 5-digit numbers, and they assigned me a 4-digit. and the real puzzler: the ghost of the first character is most definately a "3". how could that be? so its not like calling up wbcci and asking for a different number, which would have to start with a "1", would let me completely conceal the damage from at least one of the old numbers...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

My prior vintage was polished and clear-coated by P&S in Ohio. When called, they recommended "plain old" mineral spirits for removal of old adhesives like duct tape, numbers, etc., which I did and had no problem with the clear-coat. But, that might have been their proprietary coating, I'm not sure.

If you do anything, BE SURE AND TEST in an unseen area first.

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Or do like we did: request the same numbers that were last on the trailer when you send in your WBCCI application. Our PO gave us their blessing to request their numbers since they were leaving AS for a SOB MH. So our #5013 is still #5013, and we are so happy that we didn't have to remove and add! Just a suggestion for new AS buyers joining WBCCI.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hide old numbers?

What if you were to get a rectangular piece of vinyl - maybe white - to use as a background for you new numbers? It could cover the ghost images of the old numbers and give your new numbers a good contrast for easier viewing.

Just an idea - I don't have any numbers

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
don'tcha think silver colored would be better?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Oh, and wouldn't you know, this trailer's PO(s) had 5-digit numbers, and they assigned me a 4-digit. and the real puzzler: the ghost of the first character is most definately a "3". how could that be? so its not like calling up wbcci and asking for a different number, which would have to start with a "1", would let me completely conceal the damage from at least one of the old numbers...
Before they started recycling the old numbers, they were issuing numbers in the 30000s. The highest number in the 2004 directory is 32111.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Kelowna , B.C.
Guys, thanks so much for the info and ideas ... tackled the job and found a hair dryer on "hot" heated the glue on the numbers and they came off fairly well .....the new numbers went on not bad on the front (although placement a little high), but had a heck of a time with the back ..... the wind came up and folded a "9" over on itself ... by the time I got it undone it was stretched and went on a little off centre ..... I don't mind .... it's not bad and some say that I'm a little off as well .... anyway ... thanks agian for your assistance .... Brian
briandeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:13 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Before they started recycling the old numbers, they were issuing numbers in the 30000s. The highest number in the 2004 directory is 32111.

Shari
well, duh...I guess I should've looked in the directory myself. I keep forgetting that I actually have one. That explains it.

hmmm...maybe I should put in a request for #37521. No, wait!: "37528". that "8" will cover several of the old ghosts in the last spot.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How do I do WBCCI Numbers ???

Greetings Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rin-tin-tin
.....the new numbers went on not bad on the front (although placement a little high), but had a heck of a time with the back ..... the wind came up and folded a "9" over on itself ... by the time I got it undone it was stretched and went on a little off centre ..... I don't mind .... it's not bad and some say that I'm a little off as well .... anyway ... thanks agian for your assistance .... Brian
I had the same experience with the "9" on my Overlander back in '95/'96 when I put my first set of numbers on the coach. I also compounded the problem by trying to "do-it-myself" despite a fear of heights - - the result can be seen in the photo below (note the "3") - - the exact same mistakes were repeated on the rear set of numbers as well.

Trying to spend as little time on the ladder as possible while trying not to notice the height, I managed to end up with the result shown. I was usually reminded about it at each International Rally as the parkers never were certain just what my number was supposed to be - - fortunately I learned my lesson and had a technician install my numbers after the coach was polished at P & S Trailer Service. I am still asked ocasionally why I didn't have my "mistake" repeated when the new numbers installed so that my coach would still be easily identified!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:49 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ok, Kevin, now that's funny! What a huge difference between how your unit looked than and how nice it looks now!

Chuck, yes I still have some SS left, but it is only doing a so-so job of getting the goop off. I don't think it's much different than Mothers or Eagle One, which you can get at your local auto parts store. I'm still trying to get the front cleaned up to put my numbers on, and that last layer of adhesive just won't go! In fact it keeps grabbing more and now it's turned black, which is even worse than before! What a mess!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote