Old 02-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

HELP! applying WBCCI numbers

Can someone tell me how to apply my new WBCCI numbers properly. I have trouble keeping their shape and spacing.

Old 02-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I can't help you with the application of the numbers, but would caution you about adding them. Some folks are planning or have attached the numbers to a piece of plexiglass and display them from the window.

The problem is that with the older units, when you want to strip down the ext and and polish it, the numbers come off. Additionally, on new coaches, some folks (including me) don't want to mar up the finish with the numbers. One reason could be if you decide not to be a member and then taking them off can be a pain, plus, there will be a shadow of the numbers until the coach is stripped an polished.

In the end it's obviously your call, but I would vote not to perm attach. I know some WBCCI folks cringe by those words, but I don't plan on sticking anything on my coaches exterior that does not have a function.

Old 02-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
What Eric said.

I've seen way too many ruined finishes as the result of those red numbers. We'll be joining the club ... but the red numbers stay off our Classic.

Someone on the WBCCI Forum suggested putting white letters on the front and rear windows.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig
I've seen way too many ruined finishes as the result of those red numbers. We'll be joining the club ... but the red numbers stay off our Classic.
Yes, we had the end caps polished on our 67, but you can see where the old numbers were: They etched the aluminum so deeply that it was impossible to polish them out. (However, we're going to be able to get those same numbers from WBCCI as new members! What luck!!)

Lynn
Old 02-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lynn

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain I remember something about applying them with soap and water, that way you can move them around a bit before it drys......

Ken J.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I have toyed with using something on the windows but the front window is a stoneguard. So i continue to contemplate.

However, as to the shadows etc. I have always contended that i would not put seat covers on my cars to protect the nice seats for the next guy.

I want to enjoy wearing out the seats and let the next guy worry over the covers needed.

Not exactly a similie but close enough i guess.

I sure do understand the argument against the numbers and appreciate the opinions.

thank you for your interest.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:35 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

pop some lines

However you can, whether chaulk lines, straight edge and grease pencil or pencil...something that comes of well is the point, mark the top and bottom of all the letters on the trailer. Generally lining up the letters from center out works best.

Then lay them on with the backing still on and adjust to the eye so they look straight, measuring too....but looks straight is more important than measures straight. Put some index marks for the corners of the letters...mix a small amount of dish soap in water, it should just feel slick like between your fingers or buy some application spray at an auto paint store. Strip the backs and apply one by one in shade and squeegee out bubbles and place and adjust to your satisfaction.

Pretty much same method for placing on clear plexyglass for temp installs with suction cups....lol...jem

P.S. check to see if all the numbers are the same height, sometimes 0,3, etc. are a little taller and this must be taken into account on placement.
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks,

That's two votes for soapy water! I am off to give it a go.

dave s.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up let us know

Good luck and let us know how you do...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We plan on putting our numbers on this spring after we finish polishing. We found that the numbers we were sent from WBCCI appear to not all be from the same batch...they are different thicknesses and one numeral is even a slightly different color from the rest. I suppose they order the different numbers as they run out...my concerns are that they will age differently once applied or that the adhesive is different from batch to batch.

What we intend on doing is going to a sign shop and have new red numbers made and all laid out ready to go, straight & spaced on one sheet. Then at least we know they will age the same & will be spaced evenly.

As far as installing them, water and a squeege works great...we've help some other folks do theirs.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Different numbers

Shari,
I will definitely buy into the different numbers theory On the front of our unit all but the 2's have faded to white, on the rear they all pretty much faded at the same rate. We plan on going the sign company route too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Hm.............

2 2's and 2 3's are Scotchcal electrocut marking film
1 4 is a Scotchcal electrocut marking film
other three 4's are "Hexis"

Here i come signmaker

Anyone have specification suggestions for a durable product?

Dave s.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Shari

Are you sure you want to do that? When you polish in the future, those numbers are going to get in the way, I think, unless you clearcoat it.

Seems to me we could all find some sort of "new plastic" numbers with some sort of oil or other substance on them that would make them stick, but not "glued" to the surface, so that they would peel off easy for the annual polish update.......

Ken J.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

RATHER THAN BE UPSET WITH THE NUMBERS BEING BEATEN OFF BY BUGS AS WE GO DOWN THE ROAD AND TO HAVE THE ETCHING PROBLEM ON THE ALUMINUM, I CUT A PIECE OF LIGHTWEIGHT PLEXIGLAS AND APPLIED THE WBCCI LOGOI AND NUMBERS AND WE PUT LARGE SUCTION CUPS ON THE CORNERS AND WHEN WE WANT TO DISPLAY OUR NUMBERS, WE JUST STICK 'EM ON THE FEONT WINDOW...SEE MY PHOTOS....IT'S ON THE TRAILER.