Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
If you are going to be in Gillette, stop by. We have Happy Hour most nights and love company and conversation. We chatted in Bozeman at Andy, Barb, and Hunter's place. Not sure we saw you in Madison.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Good deal! We probably can't make that trip this year though, unfortunately. In Bozeman I was in doggie 3amp in front of the stadium. You must have been to the 2020 deal in the Vintage Tent. I was on the side. Asked a few questions... Saw Hunter once, Leo, Artstream, my MD compadres...did a few walk arounds and found a few vintage regulars and the rest were all new acquaintences and even held a party with the new neighbor and we two took off on a week long spontaneous caravan to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Afton.

I like the Internationals best. I have been to three and all have been solo. Perhaps DH will go to the one in Illinois, our home state.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
We will renew our 2011 membership. We believe that our money is well spent and supporting our unit is worth every penny. We host some great rallies and our membership is probably some of the most diverse folks we have met. It is absolutely a pleasure to be a part of this eclectic collection of great people. We too joined for the historic aspect of the club and love having our own red numbers on our vintage rig as well as our Wally Byam Caravan Club Sticker. We are looking forward to a great year and are seeing some positive change on the horizon. Our unit is on the move and we continue to add new members each month. The 4CU Rocks!!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Now that I am a TAC member I will take the high road and not the WBCCI on the forums any more.BUT that still does not make me a happy camper with them.
YES the 4CU rock and is a grate WBCCI unit to be in.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #25
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Great Positives

Thanks for adding your comments. Great positives.

If you get a chance to check out our NEU website, please visit at
www.newengland.wbcci.net

Our webmaster has been working on the site and it's looking good. We have a very good rally schedule this year and have added some fun stuff that's not listed yet. We are doing "Tailgate Sundays", where we will announce a National Park location, meet up at a certain time, tour, bring a picnic lunch or meet at a local restaurant. We're in a competition to collect as many NP stamps this year as we can.

Looking to have fun? Visit the NEU.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
BTW, why do we need any electricity at International? I don't understand. We dry camp all the time. We have batteries and water on board.
Pam, that is shallow thinking. There are handicap and other members who require kidney machines or o2 generators / concentrators and with your thinking they would be unable to join in. And yes I am aware that they could buy and yse large heavy generators and be stuck away from others in order to run them, but some of those very members have worked for years to promote the eay of life that you would deny them. And some of those generators are too heavy for some eldery members to carry or handle.

It appears that the 2020 committee is NOT focused on the members but is being led by the also shallow thinking international leadership.
bob280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
You know what they say about assuming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob280 View Post
Pam, that is shallow thinking. There are handicap and other members who require kidney machines or o2 generators / concentrators and with your thinking they would be unable to join in. And yes I am aware that they could buy and yse large heavy generators and be stuck away from others in order to run them, but some of those very members have worked for years to promote the eay of life that you would deny them. And some of those generators are too heavy for some eldery members to carry or handle.

It appears that the 2020 committee is NOT focused on the members but is being led by the also shallow thinking international leadership.
You know what they say about assuming....

My question about needing electricity is not a reflection of the 2020 committe, but my personal question. We dry camp all the time and I have read comments here on the Airforums from people who want amenities and those who don't. The WBCCI is a diverse club with members of different ages, needs and expectations.

I personally would opt for electricity to run the AC for my dog.

So please don't assume anything, least of all that my opinions are more than my own. I am personally offended by your coments about the 2020 and international above. My personal style is for open discussion and to ask lots of questions and do not reflect either of those entities.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I think what is seen as a problem by some members as a problem is only 30 amp service (with its associated higher price) is available this year at Gillette. No lower cost 3 amp service is available. 30% of the people who came to Madison last year opted to take only 3 amp service. This 30% of the members were disregarded this year. Some have opted not to come because the lower cost 3 amp service was not offered. They think management has shot themselves in the toe again by not being flexible. We have always had higher amperage service and asphalt parking available for those who need it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
Certifiable

. , .
Bob,

What you quoted was hardly "shallow thinking." It was an honest, empathetic question, in response to a fellow member's post, who is justifiably upset that there will be no 3 amp parking at the next two Internationals. It was an attempt by someone in a leadership position to openly communicate here, on these forums, with a member. How could you possibly conclude, based upon this one question, that the 2020 committee is NOT focused on members?! I'm not a big fan of the International leadership either Bob, but in my opinion your present indictment is quite simply ridiculous!

In the future, if you could just delete the bitter, over-the-top rants before you post and simply state that there IS a need for 30 amp parking, you would appear far more persuasive and intelligent. Just a thought.

Don
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
As I recall, 30A has only been available since the Springfield, MO rally in 2005. Prior to that rally only 3A service.

I do agree that it was a mistake to eliminate the 3A service, as this resulted in a large cost increase for those who do not want or need 30A.

Regarding the 2020 Committee, they met with the VAC in Bozeman in 2008 and I thought that they were very serious about recommending changes. Unfortunately, I don't think that the leadership is very supportive of change.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I believe that Lansing was the first 30 amp., in 2004.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
So please don't assume anything, least of all that my opinions are more than my own. I am personally offended by your coments about the 2020 and international above. My personal style is for open discussion and to ask lots of questions and do not reflect either of those entities.
Pam your 3 amp question was within your comments about the actions of the 2020 com. If your personal question then you should have said so. As you know we belong to the same unit and we have had these type of discussions before. It seems that, in my opinion, you are offended any time the discussion is not your way. If discussing 2020 say so and if your personal opinion, then why not say so??

Sorry if I offended you but, don't you think that, as a 2020 member, you should have known why some members need electric?? If the members of the 2020 are to present value recommendations to the leadership that they have knowledge of the members wants and needs.

Semms to me that I recall another of your offended comments about an individual who was having trouble at Perry and you complained that I should have known that the individual was very hard of hearing. Yet you made no positive comments when I spent hours (and days) at Perry trying to get those members into the Rally and meetings. Nor do you appear to remember that I took my own time to enter the unit's publications into the various dislays and contests. Now I I must put forth to know everything about the club and its members, then why not you

As for my coimments about the 2020, they have been meeting and reporting for three years and to what end. Yes they have presented some good recommendations but the only end result is a mission statement that, in my opinion, is already outdated.

Again, if I have offended then I am sorry about that.

BTW there was no assumption within my comments so I am offended at your attempt to twist things.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Hello Mistral Blue Your comments are distorted. While Pam is on the 2020 committee, she is not in a "leadership" position and as far as I know they do not represent the position of the International leadership/

I have spent 34 years promoting the club to others and even today I continue to do so. My wife and I stop and talk to every "baldy" we see and give them a membership packet. so please don't ever, ever question my attitude about our club. I work hard to get new members and believe I have,by virtue of my 34 years as a member, the right to speak out

BTW I never said anything about 30 amp..
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hmmm...

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #35
Certifiable

. , .
I support your right to free speech, just not what you say Bob.

Quote:

Sorry if I offended you but,
You're not sorry in the least. Methinks you speak with forked tongue.

Quote:

don't you think that, as a 2020 member, you should have known why some members need electric??
Please Bob, the juvenile putdowns are getting wearisome. She knows some members need electric. She especially knows that you and Harriet need electric. But she also knows that most don't. 70% want electric. 30% don't. At the next two Internationals, 100% of those attending must pay for 30 amp electric. This is unfair and stupid (in my opinion). By her question, by this thread, it is obvious that Pam is trying to work the system from the "inside" in order to make a positive difference. She is here actively trying to assess the membership's wants and needs. Her eyes and ears are wide open. She is trying to communicate. I think we would all really appreciate it if in the future you could keep your personal animosity towards Pam to yourself.

Quote:
As for my coimments about the 2020, they have been meeting and reporting for three years and to what end. Yes they have presented some good recommendations but the only end result is a mission statement that, in my opinion, is already outdated.
I agree with you here, but what can Pam do about it? This is, yet again, another one of your unfair criticisms of Pam. She's but one member on a committee. You were once a member of the IBT. You've been around 34 years! You know how it works. Committees can only make recommendations.

Quote:
Again, if I have offended then I am sorry about that.

BTW there was no assumption within my comments so I am offended at your attempt to twist things.
Again, I don't believe you're sorry. I believe you are the one who distorts things.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well obviously some require 30 amp and some don't. Thos e that do not should not have to pay the same if they are not utilizing it. An option of either has served us well in the past and the future should continue to offer both.

I have never opted for 30 amp because of the higher cost. Presently I could not afford Gillette. In the future if 3 amp is available I will be able to consider it a viable choice.

This is not a member against member situation. Leadership has decided to cast off options and we need to pull together as members to get the option back on the agenda.

Not sure that I agree with the numbers or how they were collected but even as cited, 30 % is substantial enough to offer accommodation.

As far as what I have read of Pam she is a great gal and in no way should be held to account for the decisions of the IBT because she is trying to make a posotive difference. I don't think Bob is intending to convey that either. It is a passionate issue and it is not about Bob or Pam. Let's all go higher up where most all of us can agree on direction for the future...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:53 AM   #37
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Rally Sites and Electric

Thank you for the information about 3 amp vs. 30 amp vs. no amps.

I have been curious for some time about the possibility of hosting Region or International rallies at commercial campground. In particular the idea that sites would be set up with w/e already and our members would just pull in to the site. No need for early arrival to set up and breakdown w/e and incur those costs.

Wouldn't that be way easier and ultimately less expensive?

If International is drawing 1000 rigs, then perhaps this is a possibility.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thank you for the information about 3 amp vs. 30 amp vs. no amps.

I have been curious for some time about the possibility of hosting Region or International rallies at commercial campground. In particular the idea that sites would be set up with w/e already and our members would just pull in to the site. No need for early arrival to set up and breakdown w/e and incur those costs.

Wouldn't that be way easier and ultimately less expensive?

If International is drawing 1000 rigs, then perhaps this is a possibility.
This sounds like an excellent idea. There are facilities out there with hundreds of hookups in addition to dry camp space for those who don't want or need the hookups. Dry camping space could include limited-use generator time. Whyever not?

Maggie
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Using Commercial campgrounds with 30 amp service is just what the club is doing for the next 2 years. Gillette has 2,000 available 3 amp services that Tom did not contract for. We do not know his reasoning. A commercial campground is in the business to make money. They make more money from their more expensive sites. Our number of attendees, and therefore sales, is pretty small compared to their usual customer. They may not have been willing to sell cheap sites. We will never know because Tom never told us. Lack of open communications from the top to the members is the biggest cause of misunderstanding and anger among the members. Our low number of attendees is also responsible for the recent poor show-up of commercial vendors at our rallies. The lower amount of attendees and available cash is poor quality of entertainment. The club is in a self accelerating death spiral and the leadership does not seem to have the skill and desire to stop it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Using Commercial campgrounds with 30 amp service is just what the club is doing for the next 2 years. Gillette has 2,000 available 3 amp services that Tom did not contract for. We do not know his reasoning. A commercial campground is in the business to make money. They make more money from their more expensive sites. Our number of attendees, and therefore sales, is pretty small compared to their usual customer. They may not have been willing to sell cheap sites. We will never know because Tom never told us. Lack of open communications from the top to the members is the biggest cause of misunderstanding and anger among the members. Our low number of attendees is also responsible for the recent poor show-up of commercial vendors at our rallies. The lower amount of attendees and available cash is poor quality of entertainment. The club is in a self accelerating death spiral and the leadership does not seem to have the skill and desire to stop it.
Hmmmm. Members could surely opt to reserve the 3 amp sites, couldn't they, and deduct the difference from the rally fee?