Old 03-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandgrace
does this mean that because... where do i fall in the scheme of the politics of the the clubs?
Eligable for WBCCI membership as an Airstream hardside full facility RV owner. Welcome at WBCCI events. And up for a grand time whether you just want to see the country alone, enjoy good fellowship, or see the country with others.

The scheme of politics will depend upon you, your values, and how you approach things.

The stuff about motorhomes is a subjective assessment of statistical patterns. It is an attempt, an effort, for some folks to create a model out of what they see. That doesn't mean any MoHo owner fits the statistical grouping. So don't take such statistical speculation personnally, please!

Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandgrace
does this mean that because i am under 50, and i have a land yacht motorhome (fiberglass) that i am unwelcome at rally's if i decide to join the club? i bought because of the quality, plus i knew that i was getting one of the last ones made. since we don't have rivets, does this make us second class citizens in "the club". i bought to "see america" the way that i want to, not necessarily to socialize in. i do love the absolute mania with which i see airstream owners caring for and describing their rigs, but i didn't buy "a bus" either. as a newbie, where do i fall in the scheme of the politics of the the clubs?
Join the club! Have a good time. Enjoy your local unit members. If it's what you're looking for, then stay on. If it's not for you, then do whatever you want. Contrary to the impression you may be getting, the WBCCI is a bunch of really nice folks who enjoy themselves and their club. Don't worry about the politics.

Roger

Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
BUT we would become members of an european unit immediatly and probably will in an USA/Canadian Unit just because we want to support the idea behind the WBCCI.
Have you considered forming your own unit? You can do it, it is not very hard. If you are interested, I can forward the needed information to you via email.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #18
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Airstreams are just plain cool...

I was betwixt and between in that I am not happy with the power of my TV so as I am sure many people have we went through the evaluation of do we upgrade the TV or go to a motorhome. I was really excited when I heard Airstream was going to come out with a new silver "classic" motorhome but well that's the way it goes.... If Airstream is not going to come out with the classic then I will just upgrade my TV and maybe someday my trailer. I really love the style of the Airstream.. I just landed in Atlanta today and was driving up 85 and got chills down my spine when I saw someone pulling one down the road.... Yes, Airstreams are just plain cool and so are the people that drive and pull them... I did not know about WBCCI until we bought ours and what an added benefit!! I have to admit I have never met a friendlier group of people in my life !! The New England Unit is great !! It's all about camping and meeting other people, folks... and I am sure there are other units which will begin to follow. I truly believe membership is going to grow if we welcome others with open arms as I have been. If you follow all the treads in this forum this is really what this is all about..... Life is what you make of it and so is the relationships you make in the club.. I am like many in the forum too busy to get involved in the pomp and circumstance of an "organization" .. man I get that at work and I don't neeed it in my recreation.. Don't get me wrong I appreciate those who volunteer and I intend to, but this is about fun... But I love camping and have been doing that for years.. And I am happy I met people who like it too.. That's what WBCCI is all about and that is Airstreaming...This has nothing to do with economics gang, this has to do with a group of people who have made a connection through style or like preferances to meet other good people. I could care less wether you chose a motorhome a trailer or a basecamp. I do care that you are a friendly individual who has similar intrests as me and invites me to share a marshmellow at the campfire....
Old 03-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
I agree with Chaplain Kent's prediction, some motorhomes manufactured by Thor at a plant dedicated to the production of motorhomes will end up with an Airstream bowtie. The WBCCI will then be faced with whether it is an Airstream club or a Thor club.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 AM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I agree with Chaplain Kent's prediction, some motorhomes manufactured by Thor at a plant dedicated to the production of motorhomes will end up with an Airstream bowtie. The WBCCI will then be faced with whether it is an Airstream club or a Thor club.
and why not? there ain't much about the present moHo's that's anything like an "airstream", save the badge glued to the outside. Which begs the question: just what is it that makes an Airstream an "Airstream"? Is it the form? (trailer vs. MH), the semi-monocouque construction? the materials? the finish? the fasteners? (rivets!) the financial/business arrangements of the ownership of the company?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It's an interesting topic since I just got an email from a member of our local unit who is concerned and owns a motorhome.

Here is what she said to me.

Since Airstream is curtailing production of motorhomes, this is not the time to limit the WBCCI to Airstreams. It may be that in the near future the club will have to consider other brands to accommodate those of us who prefer mh's.

I find this very interesting because this person made a statement at a local unit rally last April that the new BaseCamp shouldn't be allowed into WBCCI because it wasn't like the other Airstreams.

My response to her email basicly stated that there has been speculation about the potential need to open up WBCCI to other Thor built vehicles as a measure to insure survival of the organization.

I do predict that if the International attempted to bring in a non-Airstream built vehicle into WBCCI, especially if it looked as if it was stilted towards keeping current leadership intact, a very divisive and potentially membership threating rift would occur. It would not surprise me to see a new club emerge from such a fight.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
"And why not?" Well, there is this movement right now to change the name of the WBCCI to "Airstream Owners Asso. Int'l." Why change the name to Airstream if we will eventually be allowing Thor built RV's into the Club? Hasn't this already happened with the "Airstream" B class Westfalia? What part of the Westfalia is manufactured by the Jackson Center plant? Is it even assembled there?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
? Hasn't this already happened with the "Airstream" B class Westfalia? What part of the Westfalia is manufactured by the Jackson Center plant? Is it even assembled there?
hi forrest...

i wonder how many wb members own a newer sprinter based models...?

and they now call these 'touring coaches'......not to be confused with class b...

anyway, the westfalia is mostly ...by my guess 95%+ a german/euro build...

the interstate and the newer model...called a parkway......

are also build on/inside the sprinter chassis but the coach finish work is at jc....
so maybe 40-60%, depending on how ya keep score, done in j/c......

and the differences are obvious.....the westie is sooooo much nicer....

cheers
2air'
Old 03-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
I seem to recall reading that the original Mexican caravan (before the WBCCI was formed) was open to all trailer brands. It was later limited to a certain number and Airstreams only because the first caravan was too big and unruly.

Maybe for the WBCCI to survive, they will have to accept other brands into the membership.

Dennis
Old 03-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
t was later limited to a certain number and Airstreams only because the first caravan was too big and unruly.
A couple of other reasons:

1) Airstreams held up better than the other brands with the rigorous terrain and demanding use.

2) the trailers (including Airstreams) often broke down and had "issues" during the caravans and the mechanics (that the caravan included) couldn't support all the parts & pieces of all the different brands.

3) the "old time" caravans became a marketing tool for the sale of Airstreams

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
Who’s driving?

This is an interesting thread in many ways because it touches the fundamental issue of who governs WBCCI. Do the members of WBCCI who choose to affiliate with local units govern through elected officials, or does the manufacture govern by default.

Thor exercised it right to stop production of the class “A” Motor Home (MH) based on a business decision that it may, or may not share with WBCCI. Thor is also within it rights to re-label any product it manufactures as an Airstream, and since current WBBCI rules except any “Airstream” MH it would seem Thor has the keys to admission into WBCCI.

Does this mean WBCCI should abandon the new proposed AOAI name and open its doors to any THOR product? Can WBCCI tell the owner of a Thor MH that is identical to an Airstream MH with the exception of the AS badge that they cannot join because the AS MH is better?

It seems to me that WBCCI has a lot of challenges to face and its members need to resolve the heated debate over its identity and direction. We love our Airstream and enjoy camping with friends and family more the debating issues “at large” members have no control over. We do however wonder from time to time who’s driving?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Who IS driving?!?

Safari -

Touche!

Who IS driving??? That truely is THE question. WHO is at the wheel of this adventure?

WBCCI seems to be batting things about a LOT, THOR is sitting very quietly in a corner and watching things play out.... They seemingly have quite a bit at stake in how things in WBCCI shake out.... AND they can still raise a huge stink IF things don't turn out in what they deem to be a favorable way...

Need to have the parlimentarians and attorneys weigh in here....

Who IS driving???

Thanks for that reminder safari!

Axel
Old 04-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #28
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
In this electronic age, when we have shifted to an information society instead of an industrial one, that is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID that members at large are not allowed to vote on issues that impinge on what we are asked to PAY FOR.

I'm looking at sending my "local" dues to a unit over a hundred miles away from where I live just for the "privilege" of having a vote.

If I missed anyone, this is STUPID.

Lamar

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote