Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wonder if the french revolution began this way. Now, I understand why 2012 is such an important date. The WBCCI is totally destroyed by then.

So those people sending Leo the emails. Are they some of those given money to cover their travels? Those three people specifically? Could some one with a little more knowledge answer that for me? I would like to know if that is indeed the case.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
All current region officers receive a travel allowance that they must account for. Most use the budget up for travel to their unit rallies to promote their Region Rallies and attending Installation ceremonies. International level officers use their budgets to pay for their travels to recruit local members to attend their International Rally and scout out the particulars for that Rally. What Leo is campaigning for would reduce their budgets and travel. It would also force the club to modernize its marketing practices and optimiize its operations. Past International officers are frequently recycled into Chairmanship roles and also receive money for travel to some events. The local level officers receive no money from International for anything. International's goals and costs are not aligned to help local unit success, other than providing the Blue Beret to the local members.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #31
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Which may be all well if they weren't operating in the red as deep as they are.

They should forego those perks until they can operate in the black.

If they stopped draining 125K a year for this expense they may break even.

Do they know how to cut back in a recession?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #32
Site Team

, Minnesota
The Management of WBCCI could voluntarily publish the amount each officer receives in travel reimbursements.

They could also publish the amount of un-reimbursed expenses such as meals and entertainment. The un-reimbursed expenses are probably a lot higher than the amount they receive for mileage.

I think a little transparency would dispel some of the animosity about officer perks.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Mark, Transparency would only inflame things even more. The problem that many are having with this is that the compensation is for travel to promote the International. At that same International(which has lost money three years running) there are many perks the general, full fare paying, public never sees. All of this adds up to huge perks at the expense of the general population of the club.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #34
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Tim,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post

Wasn't Bob Thompson suspended as a result of his email?

Bill

Good point - he was and it was overturned. His message was sent to a list of individuals, my "Timmy Butterball" message was sent to me only (as far as I know) so it is deemed a personal and legal matter by the EGC. However, that message contained threats of legal action for the club forums - so it was done as part of club business.
Of course - the club cannot find that an offense because if they do - somebody is going to take their ball and go home.

Point is - Tompson writes an email message and his conviction is overturned.
The Conquistador writes a message and it is overturned.
Anything less than an overturned ruling on Leo and I bet it will get ugly.

If we do not have to be truly held accountable for what we say as private citizens communicating to other private citizens outside the arena of the club, as The Conquistador allegedly was, the precedent is set to challenge in court any conviction which is not dismissed completely as not following the bylaws & constitution.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It is not unusual for a minority of the members of any club to receive the majority of the benefits. It is in the leaders own self interest that they would structure it that way.

Only 13% of the club's membership came to the Madison Rally. They received the benefit of providing the $60,000 loss. The usual participation in the Internationals has been less that 15%.

The national caravans have only about a 10% membership participation rate. They receive very little funding from the general treasury.

The National Special Event Rallies receive nothing from the International treasury. They have to be all self sustaining and are usually run at a profit to the local unit putting them on. I am not sure what percentage of the overall national membership attend them but they are likely the same people who have the time to participate in the national caravans.

The 80% of the general membership who do not participate in the National events get nothing for their $55 since the benefit of receiving the Blue Beret (up to this year) has been self supporting and therefore a no cost benefit.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
"In it I stated to you to cut the negative crap and work with our International Board to add 6000 new members to our membership and ensure that they are all leaders. In addition your challenge was to work to ensure that at least 2500 units attended our International Rally. That would totally solve our financial woes."

I really don't know how many units attend the International Rally... but 2500 seems like an awfully big number for an organization with between 6000 and 7000 members. And if my recollection of 2009 membership is correct, an increase of 6000 represent doubling the size of the existing club.

So... all the WBCCI needs to do to "solve its financial woes" is double its membership?

In 1978, the WBCCI had 25,428 members. In the 31 years hence, the organization has lost 75 percent of its members. Airstream has stopped making Class A motorhomes which comprise 20 percent of WBCCI owners. In 2009 (and depending on the data source), the WBCCI will lose between $90,000 and $120,000. When you factor in the declining market share of Airstream travel trailers, the current economy and the meta-trend of declining memberships in social, fraternal and civic organizations, an ambitious goal would be stablizing the WBCCI at current membership levels.

The cold, hard financial reality, however, is it is effectively impossible for the WBCCI to recruit itself out of its financial deficit. Even with sweeping changes to the organization and an exponentially greater effort to retain and recruit members, the club will burn through its cash reserves or be forced to make significant changes, e.g., dramatically cut expenses.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
1993 34' Excella
Livingston , Texas
An open letter to the Leadership:

With all due respect, please explain to me how Leo violated his probation when not a single leader has defined to him or any one else what constitutes probation and no one, to the best of my knowledge, has defined or set down the ground rules for his probation. In our society, even a hardened criminal's probation is difined and the ground rules provided. Where is the ethics and honor in what the "Cartel" has done do Leo.

By the way the Club's Constitution states that anything not covered in the Constitution or By-Laws is dcovered by RRONR. And since the appearl of a probation is not covered by the By-Laws, RRONR applies and it very clearly provides the form, fit, and function for appealing a probation. Do I detect direlection of duty on the part of someone in our leadership?

There are thoses who are claiming that Leo violated his probation. OK, fine, now please tell me the exect violation and where in the letter to him that defined that rule or item which they say he vilation. Oh! you can not. I thought so.

By the way according to the grievance article, a grievance can only be filed against a member because an incident that happens at an International, regional or unit activity or function (If anyone thinks differently, they should go talk to a poffessor who deals in legal english) the airforum and savewally forum do not, i my opinion, qualify. So it appears that the grievance was inproper in the first place and the probation a miss-carrage of justice, ethics and fairness.

For shame on those involved (in my opinion)

All of the above is my "differing opinion" on this whole sorry affair!!!

Bob T
WBCCI # 280 -- 34 year member
Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
This whole affair is just sorry.

It's embarrassing to the members. The International looks childish and petulant and worst of all it demeans a great Club.

Just sad and sorry.

I encourage all who disagree with the direction of our club to start or continue the process to change or delete bylaws and elect members who you feel best reflect your beliefs. Rust never sleeps or slackens and neither should you.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
Wow! As a brand new Airstreamer and having actually inquired as to the process of becoming a WBCCI member this is eye opening. Kinda like seeing the sorry underbelly of what otherwise looked so promising. I am actually saddened that I happened upon this post.

I will rethink my application and just go camping and be friendly to others...red numbers or not.

Though I will proudly display my blue 41001.

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD

Air #41001
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_john View Post
Wow! As a brand new Airstreamer and having actually inquired as to the process of becoming a WBCCI member this is eye opening. Kinda like seeing the sorry underbelly of what otherwise looked so promising. I am actually saddened that I happened upon this post.

I will rethink my application and just go camping and be friendly to others...red numbers or not.

Though I will proudly display my blue 41001.
There is a huge disconnect between the International and the Unit.

The unit level is where you make lifetime friends and have tons of fun. Don't pass up that opportunity.

The International level has issues that will be solved and doesn't have anything to do with enjoying your unit and the people you will meet.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure how long it will remain on the WBCCI Forum but I just posted this tread With the hope that some of the leadership might see what is happening in their name.

As a new member I would like to suggest that all, and especially the WBCCI leadership, follow this Thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ain-58791.html

There are clearly reasons why membership is falling and those interested in curtailing that decline will be advised of many of the reasons

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #42

Hollywood , New York
I think this is a good club, the only thing you have to worry about on a local level is the injection of the international politicking. Someone who has international aspirations and using your local unit as a launching pad for their private ambitions.