Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #541
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Maybe

Gene,

Since he used "and" maybe he was talking about the IBT officers....

Conduct unbecoming AND officer in the IBT????

This thread nothing but civil.....maybe controversial, but civil still.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #542
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Without the WBCCI, Airstream would become just another travel trailer, and your investment would plummet. Airstreams command higher the average prices because of the mystique. The Caravans and Rallies are part of that mystique.
That is sure counter to the numbers - WBCCI membership numbers going down, Airstream Trailers sales, steady or increasing depending on the economy. WBCCI could not live without Airstream, but Airstream surely could live without WBCCI. And, indeed, soon enough, it just might.

The officer statement really reminds me of the time Jim Franklin told my wife to "Stand Down" at the delegates meeting in Salem - nice! That is really not the way to reach this crowd. They have had enough of the militaristic style. Worked years ago - not anymore.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #543
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Please, understand what “freedom of expression” and our First Amendment entails. Many here don’t agree with the posting: “It may be time to end this thread.” Freedom of expression has always been a burden to some, but what is the alternative?

By name and definition this forum is a public space for Airstream people to express opinions. Somewhat as it was at the Ancient Forum in Rome. Why not let any topic run its course, and end naturally after no one has any more to add? If we don’t like what is said we can let others know our point of view or leave the forum. No one should be allowed to limit civil discussions or topics on a 'free' forum.

Be thankful that AIRForums has moderators and not censors to maintain equality and freedom of expression. If anyone knows a better alternative forum, please let us know.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #544
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Without the WBCCI, Airstream would become just another travel trailer, and your investment would plummet. Airstreams command higher the average prices because of the mystique. The Caravans and Rallies are part of that mystique.
I don't agree with this statement. How many people own an A/S? How many are WBCCI members? Most people know what an A/S is when they see one but have never heard of the WBCCI, caravans or rallies. Frankly I don't think the general public give a rat's rear end.

Face it, to most of the membership the WBCCI is merely a camping club. You don't neeed to be a member to go camping. This isn't Russia, where Party membership is mandatory. As far as I can see the problems are at the top. Increasing the dues, especially in economic hard times, to cover financial shortfalls brought about by what appear to me to be bad, self-serving decisions will kill it.

An A/S has it's own mystique; it's own cachet. The styling is timeless; the quality is obvious. It's value has nothing to do with the owner or the activities in which they engage.

I for one do not fear for losing my investment. My insurance carrier accepted my declared value of $10,000.00 on my 68 Caravel without comment or request for an appraisal, inspection or even a photo. What does that tell you?

This thread will end when interest wanes, people stop posting and it dies a natural death. No one, except a moderator/administrator has the power to kill it off.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #545
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post

I find this interesting as when I purchased my Airstream I had never heard of the WBCCI. I was still willing to pay a premium for it because of the pervieved value to me. (If I had known of the WBCCI I might not have been willing to pay as much.)

I also think that it is interesting that a poster who is not a moderator is trying to close the tread. There are too many elistists in the world who know what is best for the rest of us.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #546
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
I've got lots and lots of the numbers 2, 8, and 0... I ordered for like 5 trailers....
Now you can have any number you like on the trailer. Of course that was always true you just didn't think about it. I'm putting the old 3 digit number on "The Bat Cave Express" when it warms up. As it happens I belong to a secret society which allows but does not reguire or even talk about having red numbers or blue if you like or whatever since it's a secret society and we keep it that way by everyone making their own rules which apply only to the person who makes em up in the first place....

PS: I've done some research on pototoe cannons. I'm movin on up to cantelopes, more interesting landing...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #547
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
That is sure counter to the numbers - WBCCI membership numbers going down, Airstream Trailers sales, steady or increasing depending on the economy. WBCCI could not live without Airstream, but Airstream surely could live without WBCCI. And, indeed, soon enough, it just might.

The officer statement really reminds me of the time Jim Franklin told my wife to "Stand Down" at the delegates meeting in Salem - nice! That is really not the way to reach this crowd. They have had enough of the militaristic style. Worked years ago - not anymore.

That was Kimber????? Brooke and I were in the stands, when that happened. That incident is what prompted our decision to walk out and quit the WBCCI!!!!! What a small world; no wonder I like you guys, LOL!

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #548
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
I don't agree with this statement...
I don't either. It has no basis whatsoever. I had no clue what the WBCCI was, when we bought our Sovereign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
...I for one do not fear for losing my investment. My insurance carrier accepted my declared value of $10,000.00 on my 68 Caravel without comment or request for an appraisal, inspection or even a photo. What does that tell you?...
Ditto. My insurance carrier placed the replacement value of our Sovereign at $40,000, and there was no appraisal, inspection or photo either.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #549
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post

PS: I've done some research on pototoe cannons. I'm movin on up to cantelopes, more interesting landing...
How about pianos as Chris did in Northern Exposure? He didn't use a cannon, he used a trebuchet: BoAnder Trebuchet Web Site-Construction Details for instructions to build a smaller one.

Gene
Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #550
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via MSN to Sparty73 Send a message via Yahoo to Sparty73
If you want a hint at where Airstream sees their buyers coming from watch Christopher Deam's six minute talk at TED in which can be seen at:

Christopher Deam restyles the Airstream | Video on TED.com

He's gets into what market segment Airstream was seeking from the CCD redesign beginning at 5 minutes five seconds in. It is pretty clear that they are not looking to the existing WBCCI model as their target market demographic.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #551
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
That was Kimber????? Brooke and I were in the stands, when that happened. That incident is what prompted our decision to walk out and quit the WBCCI!!!!! What a small world; no wonder I like you guys, LOL!
Yea, it was her. I was in the back of the room recording the meeting because at the time WBCCI wouldn't broadcast or archive them (they did right after I published that meeting and made it a CRIME to do it ever again).

I almost stood up and took the microphone and told Mr. Franklin that his words were inappropriate. I got the impression that he was in over his head on that desk and could not handle the motions and amendments before him (name change) and was mad at the way it was going anyway.

I think the wrong person was told to stand down if you know what I mean.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #552
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
I don't either. It has no basis whatsoever. I had no clue what the WBCCI was, when we bought our Sovereign.
Same here. I didn't know (or care) much about the club until we got the Bambi in 2005, approx. 12 years after we bought the 68 Trade Wind. The AS salesman, who was a member of a local unit, convinced us to take a look. Frankly, I'm glad we did, but the existence of the club had absolutely nothing to do with our appreciation of Airstreams.
WDCU
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #553
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Tim what was the context of Franklin telling Kimberly to stand down? Was she speaking? I have heard them say that at the IBT Mid-Winter meetings while they confer with one another over some point. I was very surprised to hear such militaristic speaking. In fact the entire experience was like nothing I could have imagined, like a tribunal, perhaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0014A.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	93874  

photography
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #554
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
In fact the entire experience was like nothing I could have imagined, like a tribunal, perhaps.
There's not even one woman on this "tribunal"? Everyone has the same color tie? Do they get their suits at the same store too? That photo is more revealing than a lot of the posts.

Gene
Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #555
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Somebody needs to do some adjustment on herhis photographic equipment/software. The Exif data on the pic from the meeting indicates that it was taken on 11-22-2008.
Lynn
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #556
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There's not even one woman on this "tribunal"? Everyone has the same color tie? Do they get their suits at the same store too? That photo is more revealing than a lot of the posts.

Gene
Gene.

Might be a lady there???

Just to our right of center, there appears to be a lady that has 3 water bottles on the left and one water bottle on her right.

Note the different hat/cap as well.

Could be???

Definitely, in the minority.

How old is that photo?

Andy
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #557
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Andy,

I wondered about him/her. Him/her is wearing, so far as I can tell, a beret set back further on his/her head, tie and black suit. Are women required to dress like men if elected to this group?

As I was informed by someone privately, look at the ladies in the 2nd row of the audience—they are all wearing the same patterns on their dresses. They must have made the clothing themselves out of the same cloth because the pattern is moved around a bit on their backs. The design looks to me like something you'd see on a chair in a house in 1955.

Gene
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #558
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Interesting observation.
Could it be that the four ladies are wearing the uniform from some cult and given reserved front seats in the cheering section?
No, that can’t be. But ‘inquiring minds want to know.’
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #559
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Interesting observation.
Could it be that the four ladies are wearing the uniform from some cult and given reserved front seats in the cheering section?
No, that can’t be. But ‘inquiring minds want to know.’
Who knows, who knows ???

But one thing most of us know, is that the club, as we once knew it, is either, dented, bruised, damaged, or something else.

The question seems to be, does it need to be refurbished, repaired, modernized, updated, remodeled, overhauled, or total reconstruction ??

Politics, to me, should not even be in the shadows of a good club, let alone on the Marquee.

But, politics has never been my cup of tea.

Squeaky wheels, usually get lubricated, sooner or later, to stop the squeaking.

Andy
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #560
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The two ladies at the table are the secretary and the Parliamentarian, Bonnie Nester. (who is from our unit). I also see the backs of the heads of two of our other members. That picture is enough to scare off any young potential members.
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com