Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
WHAT??? No more LUNCHES???...well, at least Wally would invite me over for a hot dog...and, I would reciprocate...was that relish and mustard? I was a 1st VP, but saw some problems with my own attitude and time to devote...still pay my dues, but sometimes feel guilty about not contributing more...however, the lack of progressive and supportive leadership is a REAL problem...I have found that our unit is just THAT...a unit. We camp, eat, enjoy community, raise a few(ok, more than a few)...but we have fun...what a concept! and we C A M P...where and when did that notion go away? Ya make more friends at a campfire than you do at Golden Corral, and you'll probably eat better...we always have...invitations are not necessary, but ALWAYS extended...c'mon and join us...I truly believe that example is the strongest strategy to accomplishing anything...DO IT, and let it happen.
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #222
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Well I have intaked a lot from this posting over issues of WBCCI, we are still newbees to air forms and WBCCI and still have many questions for all. but I must say I respect all your views Rob you have done a lot for airstream fokes like us always something new for me to learn, peewee your family history earns my respect also. we love are vintage airstream and it would not be complete or right without the lovely red numbers on it paying respect to our founder of airstreams and all that is good about streaming is one reason we will stay with the club , also durning our travels we need a place to hang our hats for several months and TOP OF GA is the place with club membership 180 month big help in the wallet for full time travelers I hope and pray that all this talk and hashing out on here will result with changes to the club for all involved and for Wally;s due respect which he so earned and worked hard for all those traveling in his footsteps, Happy days for all and merry X Mass to all
Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #223

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Public Appology

I would like to apologize for a statement that I made in an earlier post to this thread. What I intended to say was that the IBT should be dethroned from their high and mighty position because of their lack of regard for the wishes of the the membership. If anyone has taken offense to my statement, please accept my sincerest apology.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #224
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The King has no clothes on...

A margarita inspired goofy idea....I think it would be a hoot if everyone concerned about the how things are being run got bumper stickers for their rigs that say "The King has no clothes on". It has the making of a cult hit protest. Imagine a ton of rigs cruising the highways and pulling into internationals with those, what are they going to do, file grievances against 500 members? I suspect not. OOOH and t-shirts, got to have t-shirts.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
A margarita inspired goofy idea....I think it would be a hoot if everyone concerned about the how things are being run got bumper stickers for their rigs that say "The King has no clothes on". It has the making of a cult hit protest. Imagine a ton of rigs cruising the highways and pulling into internationals with those, what are they going to do, file grievances against 500 members? I suspect not. OOOH and t-shirts, got to have t-shirts.

Ah the wonderful benefits of tequila. Count me in on the bumper sticker! I hope to make it out to Gillette and would welcome sporting the sticker and a shirt. I just love rousting the gold row'ers. It's half the fun of being there.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #226
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Our trailer is bald. I'd actually considered sending the IBT our big red stick on WB. numbers "until the budget is in the black again and you no longer need these."

I won't, of course, but the thought makes me smile.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I've had 2 martinis - count me in...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
But he better

Quote:
"The King has no clothes on"
He better be wearing his badge!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #229
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Badges??? We don't need no...well, you get the idea...got a couple, tho'...don't have the bumper sticker, yet...come to think of it, I don't have a margarita, either...where's a bartender when you need one? It's only 3:30 am...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 12-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #230
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
What a great idea... that is tremendous... A bumper sticker campaign is sure to set thing right and bring them to their knees. Maybe t shirts too. You need to register for Gillette now and hand them out. I am very sure the IBT will read your bumper stickers. They ignore personal emails, but bumper stickers they always pay close attention to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
Ah the wonderful benefits of tequila. Count me in on the bumper sticker! I hope to make it out to Gillette and would welcome sporting the sticker and a shirt. I just love rousting the gold row'ers. It's half the fun of being there.
You are going to have a great time. Make sure you park with the VAC folks. I strongly recommend you do not let anyone know you are a WDCU affiliate though, you might get parked out of the way a bit. I know when I go somewhere I too look forward to messing with those in charge. That would be my motivation too. The $1200 in gas and $500 to get in would be of little concern to me, just being able to roust those gold row'ers would make it all worth while.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #231
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I know when I go somewhere I too look forward to messing with those in charge. That would be my motivation too. The $1200 in gas and $500 to get in would be of little concern to me, just being able to roust those gold row'ers would make it all worth while.
Frank, you said they don't answer email. International is the best place to get in the IBT's face and let them know what's up. In Perry we handed out fliers at the main hall in support of Pete Daniel and Leo running from the floor. You should have seen 'em as we got in their face. Some were aghast. Like we did for the name-change fight - we should sticker every moho in the gold row. "No deficit spending" picketing outside the hall.

They will have no choice but to take notice. Yeah saving our club can be fun! That's how this child of the sixties rolls bro. Peaceful protest.

Regarding the trip to Gillette...i borrow a saying from my sailing days...An Airstreamer reaches his destination as soon as the seat belt is clipped in.

Can't park with vintage as I'll be taking the 34 footer and plan on parking with the Classic Club.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #232
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Chirstmas Eve

Tiding of love, joy, peace and understanding.

Sue and I wish all of our friends a Joyous and Merry Christmas; and Happy and Healthy New Year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2009 R.pdf (1.11 MB, 109 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #233
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Support

Quote:
International is the best place to get in the IBT's face and let them know what's up.
Dave, just by going to International, and paying them the $500 (it would be $600 for us) you are saying "I support you!" and by continuing to send in the $55 a year (I really think it will go to $75 a year), you are continuing to supporting them... KISS - it is that simple. Why wait 4 more years for it to come to an end... stop supporting them this year, and 2010 will be the dawn of the new WBCCI (well, after the dust settles, it'll be more like 2011).. a much less of a wait for happier times!

I don't support what they are doing, period.

I had a long post I had written up, but I deleted it, as I'm not going to dwell on the past.. I'm looking towards the future... where I see good times in a grassy field with a very nice Wagon Wheel...(like at my Installation) of Airstreamer's - some WBCCI full of hope that are patiently waiting for change, and some not... in the end, they will all be there camping and having fun - that's what it's all about.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagon Wheel.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	92916  
Courtesy parking

Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #234
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Dave, just by going to International, and paying them the $500 (it would be $600 for us) you are saying "I support you!" and by continuing to send in the $55 a year (I really think it will go to $75 a year), you are continuing to supporting them...
Rob, if I applied your logic to my membership in the WBCCI to my life I would have had to move out of the United States a long time ago. Am I suppose to stop paying my taxes in protest of the national deficit? I am not about to move to Brazil because their government enjoys a surplus.

This American does not run from problems. I am not kidding about standing outside the hall before the delegates meeting handing out a nifty flier that Leo will work up. I view the protest as a win-win-win. Paying the Rally fee helps the clubs books, raising the volume at International enables us to speak to the general membership and hopefully wake-up the sheep that are out there, and the protest will have to register with the IBT letting them know we are pissed off with their fiscal irresponsibility in a very public way.

Your boycott in this instance won't work and is counter productive. Creating a buzz at Intl could give Wallyites something to talk about 'round the campfires at every Unit Rally around North America. That is how we get it fixed.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #235
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Picket Sign

Dave,

Laws and Gov't requirements to live here in the US can not be compared to a club we voluntarily join and pay for... there is no law I have to pay the IBT... what the IBT is doing is about as un-american as it can get... Madoff did this but see where he's sitting now, right... but we know it's happening and what can be done... maybe Winter IBT will show us a difference, but I don't think so.

I can see you now, with your picket sign there in Gillette (without Leo cause I really think he's a goner too)...it will be a little more effective than a bumper sticker.... I look forward to your valiant effort - and am really encouraged by your opptimism that you can make them change...

90% (that's my estimate) of the club could care less of the politics - those 90% don't even know this is happening because of the fatal flaws of WBCCI communication and their propaganda mechanism (the Blue Beret).

We'll just have to agree to disagree because seeing how the club votes last year in Madison, all I can say is good luck with the changes required to save it in its current state of affairs. I applaud your efforts buddy!

Time will tell who's right.... and truthfully, I hope I am wrong as I honestly don't want to see the WBCCI disappear, just honestly believe it must be totally overhauled (broken down and then re-built from the ground up) and start over in order to succeed for the next century.

For the IBT, the power of the purse is everything.

Two more days until Christmas....

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"90% (that's my estimate) of the club could care less of the politics - those 90% don't even know this is happening because of the fatal flaws of WBCCI communication and their propaganda mechanism (the Blue Beret)."

I think this is very true, Rob, because those people are just camping, socializing and having a very, very good time. It is time for the word to be spread about these significant problems, however, because these people also don't want to see the demise of the WBCCI.

Yes, we didn't want to hear it for the longest time, but now that we have joined the WBCCI and a Unit we really like, we have a stake in the outcome. There is always the ant-and-the-rubber-tree-plant possibility----with the alternative to doing something being to do nothing.

I do think people should be encouraged to listen and judge for themselves whether new or continued membership is in their own, individual best interest---and I see people on these forums stating they are doing just that. Whether the WBCCI does change will not be a "do or die" issue for us, but we are now committed to doing what we can.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #237
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
And muni, if colonists in the 1770s applied your logic to their lives, there wouldn't be an America to leave. We colonists would still be "working from within" for change. Your logic would have had Ghandi practicing law for the Commonwealth. Your logic would have Rosa Parks sit in the back of the bus.

Rob is not advocating a coup d'etat of the WBCCI. He is, in my opinion, engaging in one of the most powerful and peaceful forms of resistance... noncooperation. He simply refuses to participate in an organization he finds unjust.

It is easy enough to sit back, write the modest dues check, keep the red numbers and blue beret, and solemnly nod, agreeing with the notion that, "Yes, the WBCCI has some problems which really ought to be addressed, and could you pass the macaroni salad." It is much harder to take a public stand. Rob (and others) are leaving an organization to which they have devoted time, money and emotion. Some may see this as "running from problems." I see it much differently.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #238
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
He simply refuses to participate in an organization he finds unjust.
And thus rendering himself powerless to effect change from within.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #239
Rivet Master

Quote:
And thus rendering himself powerless to effect change from within.

But obviously not powerless to affect change.
13500 views and counting, and lots of great ideas.
Rich the Viking
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
As one of my many duties, I chair a regulatory commission governing cable television service. The local provider is Comcast, a company with a worse reputation for customer service than the IRS or the Postal Service. (I can provide a citation, if you wish). Over the years, I've met with a number of corporate liaisons. Every one of them admitted Comcast had "some problems" but they all ardently claimed they were "working for change from the inside."

If I had to pick one word to describe all of this "effecting" change it would be...

Comcastic.
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com