Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #491
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
This is one of my favorite Tee's

Maybe we could ask our forum artist "ArtStream" to do a flag like this.

This is one of my favorite shirts. Leo designed it. I have worn mine. I think it's very cool. Was that in time for the name change vote in Salem Oregon Leo? I think so I think that was in answer to who is Wally Byam and in reply to the rationale that leadership was tired of telling others who Wally was or what the WBCCI was and stood for so that is why we needed an easier name to be identified with.

Membership seems to fall off directly because of the leadership and their initiatives each year. It's rather perplexing that they think these ideas will bring more members and more money to the club and yet they drive away loyal members. I think listening to membership and serving them rather than writing up motions for dues increases and in the rationale expecting and accepting to drive away 100 good members because of raising the dues and not caring about them but moreso wanting to get more money out of the members that can still afford to remain is simply the WRONG course of action. Sacrifice a meal ... not members!! Cut the spending and the fat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catinhat.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	93732  

photography
Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #492
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ah yes the menacing clown, my favorite...not.

Well with the way the current trend is going, you may have to start a full fledge campaign to recruit supporters and retain members to Save Wally in 2010!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWMaterials.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	93738  

photography
Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #493
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Ah yes the menacing clown, my favorite...not.
Funny you should mention 'menacing clown'. that was Leo's costume at the Metro NY Boo Rally in 2009. Quite scary I might add.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #494
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Leo's a very scary individual. Got pictures?????

photography
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #495
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
I've got extra WBCCI fives, threes and nines kaffe. I'm thinking about just putting the #3 on the front and rear of my Argosy. Nothing is there now. It's the number I wore throughout my schooldaze.

You don't have to be a member of WBCCI to put red, white or even blue numbers on YOUR trailer. You can put on, or take off, anything your heart desires.

Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send them through the mail.

P.S. I love your signature line.
I've got lots and lots of the numbers 2, 8, and 0... I ordered for like 5 trailers....
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #496
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
I've got lots and lots of the numbers 2, 8, and 0... I ordered for like 5 trailers....
I'll take 'em Rob as I asked the club for your old number. just kidding...i got Frank's.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #497
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
HA! Carol - Funny, I still have VOTE NO buttons if anybody wants any!!! FREE (just pay postage).
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #498
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I am holding onto my stickers and buttons and waiting to make a mint on selling them on e-bay, when you all are famous in the next decade or so.I guess that will be sometime after they drop the prefex from imfamous.

photography
Old 01-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #499
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Funny reflection on this entire experience...
Those people I viewed as family (my former Unit) have with exception of one not reached out to me at all. Just one, "hey Frank, sorry to see you go. We will always camp together, club or no club."I was shocked by that. I had the false pretense that they all valued my participation in the activities of the Unit. Oddly enough, one has even mocked me and the choice I made. However on the flip side, so many total strangers have reached out. The PM's have been very touching from people I have not known before. I thought it would be the other way around. I have learned a great deal from all of this.

I also find it interesting how many use that Wally ecomotion. I guess by hitting that button you are speaking and traveling with the spirit of Mr Byam himself.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #500
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Those people I viewed as family (my former Unit) have with exception of one not reached out to me at all.
I am sorry that you are experiencing this. It often comes with doing what you believe to be right despite what others may think. It's hard to explain how people you thought were friends can react. I mean, geez, it's not like you are a child molester or something like that.

Just wait until one of them needs something repaired and you are the only one around who can do it.

What goes around comes around.

Always remember: Illegitimi non carborundum

MrMike
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #501
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I am holding onto my stickers and buttons and waiting to make a mint on selling them on e-bay, when you all are famous in the next decade or so.I guess that will be sometime after they drop the prefex from imfamous.
You will never make money on those - I could flood the market with them I have so many left over.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #502
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Since you are reflecting.....

Quote:
Those people I viewed as family (my former Unit) have with exception of one not reached out to me at all. Just one, "hey Frank, sorry to see you go. We will always camp together, club or no club."I was shocked by that. I had the false pretense that they all valued my participation in the activities of the Unit. Oddly enough, one has even mocked me and the choice I made. However on the flip side, so many total strangers have reached out. The PM's have been very touching from people I have not known before. I thought it would be the other way around. I have learned a great deal from all of this.

I also find it interesting how many use that Wally ecomotion. I guess by hitting that button you are speaking and traveling with the spirit of Mr Byam himself.
Hi Frank
I think if you look at this from your former unit members perspective some may have some hurt feelings about your decision to leave. I referred to this in an earlier post how surprised I was that some of the biggest WB cheerleaders suddenly left and as quickly become detractors. Did you contact your unit friends first to let them know why you were leaving the club? Might be time for some damage control.

Lets not rehash all the means and motives that you have choosen. Remember the Vietnam era General quoted as saying " In order to save the town we had to destroy it". Maybe cutting off the blood supply WILL make all the leaches fall off. We shall see.

I guess it is good that there is a new group of people here sending you support. This could also be just comiserating about their own feelings about the club or in most cases clubs in general. My guess is many are using you as a vehicle for their discontent...and both you and Rob have encouraged this.

Reflections about old friends, new freinds, making a stand and stand up for principals are more difficult. That relationship thing

OK, now I really don't know what I am talking about.

Good luck
Gary
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #503
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Well- Frank I don't think it's that the club won't feel the loss of both you and Rob- but rather.... they know you two have your reasons and most simply don't want to get caught up in the political sh*t storm going on here. You can't leave the club all upset and go from gung ho to hell no and expect everyone to reach out to you about it. For most of us- it's just a camping club- I try and get as many people to renew (cause it's my job as membership chair) but once I've been told no then I'm not going to waste time wooing anyone back. You either are okay paying the dues and showing up to whatever rallies fit your schedule or you are choosing to not be a member (not everyone who owns an airstream and isn't in the WBCCI is making a political statement- some just don't feel the need to join a club in order to camp). I'm not going to miss you- cause I'm still going to see you at rallies and such- why bother saying goodbye?

Please don't take any of this the wrong way- just throwing out a perspective here!

As for the he is the creator of Airstream- if one day the club is no longer- I won't stop supporting Wally's history- it's so intertwined with our passion for Aluminum (all but 1 of our trailers is a legacy so that means he personally helped build our trailers)!! Club or no club I am always a supporter of all things Wally!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #504
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
I had the false pretense that they all valued my participation in the activities of the Unit...I have learned a great deal from all of this.
Frank,

You are not being fair with your characterization of the lack of outpouring in your exit from your Unit. Please be honest here - on the Unit forum you stated that you were quitting the club and you publicly requested that the members of your Unit do the same.

The knee-jerk response that came to my mind was - don't let the door hit you in the ass. I can't speak for anyone else in your Unit but from what I have witnessed over the past four years, they mostly all enjoy their WDCU (WBCCI) experience and the notion of ending it in any form of protest wasn't going to happen via a Yahoo group.

Pure speculation, but it was probably your loud exit that left your Unit friends scratching their heads? Which is why you probably haven't heard much from them.

Sorry to lay this on you Frank but your public trashing of the good people of the WDCU here is not acceptable to me. I just could not let this hang out there without comment.

I still really hope we camp together this year. Your company was sorely missed at Myrtle last week.

Your friend,
Dave

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com