Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"The clearest most effective form of support is financial. As long as you pay for a service you are saying the service is worth the cost. Once you stop paying the service either changes what they offer to be more desireable to the public or they go out of business. As long as you send your dues to HQ and the IBT uses that money as they see fit, you are just saying it is alright. "Go for it, you have my stamp of approval.""

For those of us who have already paid 2010 dues, one can do what one can. It appears some attention is being paid to all this, and the IBT has to have some realization that trouble is brewing. Destroy them is not the only option.

Maggie

Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #394
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
"The clearest most effective form of support is financial. As long as you pay for a service you are saying the service is worth the cost. Once you stop paying the service either changes what they offer to be more desireable to the public or they go out of business. As long as you send your dues to HQ and the IBT uses that money as they see fit, you are just saying it is alright. "Go for it, you have my stamp of approval.""

For those of us who have already paid 2010 dues, one can do what one can. It appears some attention is being paid to all this, and the IBT has to have some realization that trouble is brewing. Destroy them is not the only option.

Maggie
I paid my 2010 dues. Paid it in full real early on. But you can always ask for it back before the year ends. What is todays date?

Everyone has to do what is right for themselves. I hope you can effect this change from within. I feel however you cannot. Do what you need to do. Just remember, as long as you have your Airstream, you are in The Club.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #395
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Frank.

We are not going to make it our mission in life to save the WBCCI, nor to necessarily believe it can be saved, but will try to do our part and hope everyone out there does the same.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #396
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a question .....For those that are or will be members in 2010.

Do you feel there needs to be some change?
If so what are you doing or will do to create that change?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #397
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I just joined this forum a few weeks back. I have not joined the other forum as of yet. I am a cautious individual by nature. I will share this with you all out of interest for a group of people whom my family are entertaining joining on outings. The words being exchanged here in no way encouraging people to join your forum or camp with you, that are new here. Weather you are right about your statements being made or not. I find the truth always comes out. Most of the people coming here are pro ably like my family naive to a point and hungry for fun,friendship and down right good friends. Not fussing and fighting. I hope a outsiders thoughts and comments help you all. All of you so far have been unbelievingly helpful to me and my family. We appreciate you all.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #398
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Tom,

If no one has welcomed you to the forum, then welcome. The WBCCI is not affiliated in any way shape or form with this forum, however many forum members are/have been members of the WBCCI, and the direction that the WBCCI has taken is a great sore spot for many of those current/past members.

The biggest source of angst is the International Board of Trustees, a group of individuals who run the WBCCI as they see fit. They have contributed to the financial ruin of the WBCCI. They have been lackadaisical, when it comes to listening to the WBCCI membership, and they have censored, censured, suspended and even expelled members who have presented opposing points of view. I'm simplifying this, because going into detail would mean spending months typing.

While the WBCCI has its own forum, WBCCI members who have posted their frustrations with the club have found their posts deleted or modified, due to the moderators, some who aren't even WBCCI members.

This forum is intended to share Airstream knowledge. Part of that knowledge involves knowing what's going with the WBCCI. There are present and past members (myself included) who do not want to see the WBCCI go the way of the dinosaur, and this is the only place where they can discuss these matters. What you view to be negativity is really a culmination of years of frustration. I respectfully suggest that, if you are put off by the conversations presented in this section of the forum, read the other sections; there is a ton of good information here.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
new club Silver

I have been thinking of starting my own club called SILVER STREAMERS.All executives
officers get no pay , no travel allowances , there is no club fees, only a background check for crooks and thieves. linking it with a great magazine like a airstream life.all unit dues would stay in the units.a national rally 2 times a year both coast for all members and non member prospects. WOULD OR COULD IT WORK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Tom,

If no one has welcomed you to the forum, then welcome. The WBCCI is not affiliated in any way shape or form with this forum, however many forum members are/have been members of the WBCCI, and the direction that the WBCCI has taken is a great sore spot for many of those current/past members.

The biggest source of angst is the International Board of Trustees, a group of individuals who run the WBCCI as they see fit. They have contributed to the financial ruin of the WBCCI. They have been lackadaisical, when it comes to listening to the WBCCI membership, and they have censored, censured, suspended and even expelled members who have presented opposing points of view. I'm simplifying this, because going into detail would mean spending months typing.

While the WBCCI has its own forum, WBCCI members who have posted their frustrations with the club have found their posts deleted or modified, due to the moderators, some who aren't even WBCCI members.

This forum is intended to share Airstream knowledge. Part of that knowledge involves knowing what's going with the WBCCI. There are present and past members (myself included) who do not want to see the WBCCI go the way of the dinosaur, and this is the only place where they can discuss these matters. What you view to be negativity is really a culmination of years of frustration. I respectfully suggest that, if you are put off by the conversations presented in this section of the forum, read the other sections; there is a ton of good information here.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #400
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Point well taken Mr Lynes.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I have a question .....For those that are or will be members in 2010.

Do you feel there needs to be some change?
If so what are you doing or will do to create that change?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I'm paid up and not asking for a refund this year. I'm allowing my $55 to be squandered this year by IBT for the privilege of being able to camp at some upcoming WBCCI-sanctioned, unit-organized events. If it doesn't prove to be worthwhile, then the only hope for WBCCI to get my money next year is if the new NOVA unit is chartered in July. If the WBCCI camping that I do this year proves to be rallies that I want to continue to attend in future years and there's likelihood that the events will not go non-WBCCI then I will pay the WBCCI for the privilege of camping at these rallies.

For those unfamiliar with the concept of NOVA, just do a search here and you can find the thread. It will a 100% virtual unit where face-to-face meetings and "luncheons" only happen while camping. I think this will be a model for future WBCCI units to follow. After doing that for a couple of years, then I'll re-evaluate whether or not I feel my money and involvement in WBCCI is necessary and if I can effect change from within or if it's better to walk the plank.

-Jason
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I have been thinking of starting my own club called SILVER STREAMERS.All executives
officers get no pay , no travel allowances , there is no club fees, only a background check for crooks and thieves. linking it with a great magazine like a airstream life.all unit dues would stay in the units.a national rally 2 times a year both coast for all members and non member prospects. WOULD OR COULD IT WORK?
I believe it could and would work. BUT, there's got to be a group of people that can dedicate 100% of their time to getting this going which would likely take 2-4 years to get it running like a well oiled machine. Your suggestions have been mentioned many times in other threads and forums in almost verbatim. I think there's many people that would love such a club. Again, BUT someone has to be either retired and well off financially or independently wealthy at a young age. For someone like me, I can't dedicate that kind of time to organizing something new. I wish I could, but I would have to quit work and then I'd have no money. No money means my family cannot eat, my mortgage will not get paid, and there's no gas money for the Excursion in order to haul the Airstream. So that kinda puts a damper on me spearheading a new Airstream club. What we need is a volunteer or volunteers that have the time, money, and resources to take on and promote such a club for 2-4 straight before handing it off to a rotation of elected officials to keep in running year after year. Until we have that, we're stuck with the WBCCI or independent camping / AirForums camping.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #403
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
May as well just join the Royal Rovers, the Streamline Travel Trailer club. Although Streamline may be defunct, the club is still around.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #404
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
One thing to consider is that the American worker's leisure time has been cut to about 25 hours or less a week. It is not like the old days (my parents era). I imagine with people getting laid off and those remaining on the job picking up the slack time is being cut even more. If you are retired or have lots of free time for a new club a time commitment towards it would make it happen. I just don't see people in general getting the time off for the rallies or even that pre-determined weekend set for a fun together. It is challenging these days.

I am blessed to get all the student holidays off because of my job, but I also have other commitments. We Americans work longer hours, more days, and have less vacation time then our European counterparts.

Brian
Old 12-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
One thing to consider is that the American worker's leisure time has been cut to about 25 hours or less a week. It is not like the old days (my parents era). I imagine with people getting laid off and those remaining of the job picking up the slack time is been cut even more. If you are retired or have lots of fee time a new club and a commitment towards it would make it happen. I just don't see people in general getting the time off for the rallies or even that pre-determined weekend set for a get together. It is challenging these days.

I am blessed to get all the student holidays off because of my job, but I also have other commitments. We Americans work longer hours, more days, and have less vacation time then our European counterparts.

Brian
I'll second that! From personal experience (I took a 2 year transfer to the German division of my company) I know that there's much more time off and much more emphasis on taking time off from work and spending it with family and traveling. The day you start work in Germany, you are given 30 vacation days a year. That doesn't increase over the years, but that's enough that it doesn't need to increase. Plus, you still get holidays on top of that! People take vacation just to sit at home for 2 weeks and relax. It was great.

Back to the USA worker's reality...not that I even want to be part of the crew that puts on an international WBCCI rally, but when I read the schedule of when people should show up for Madison; I was floored. Even to help with the rally you need to have like 4-6 weeks off! You would never have this time unless you meet the conditions in my previous post about who could start a new club (retired and/or wealthy). So, we're destined to have the national body and national rallies setup by either retired folks or people who have so much money that they don't need to work and want hang out with retired people for 4-6 weeks. I just wish these people could do this work as the VOLUNTEER work that it is and not take kickbacks/perks for it.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #406
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I would like to hang out for a few days with a bunch of airstreamers. I would not just have fun but I could learn so much about making my ride better.

Sometimes I wonder if I just posted and said I am going to be here camping for a week and just come hang out. No meeting, Don't expect anything, bring your own food and drink. I wonder if anybody would show.

Brian

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com