Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
IMHO, it is not necessarily "change" that is occurring just yet... Preliminary actions to reverse previous decisions may just be initial attempts to appease the masses and stem the tide.
Maggie,

In my book, this is a huge step in the right direction... I call that "change"
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Ya know, threat to close a post for opinion is a problem...look up the definition of "forum"...Bob, I respect your view, and my right to deny it...I could be wrong, but, then, that's MY view...this thread has engendered too much valuable discussion to be shut down by arbitrary consideration,,,it makes me uncomfortable to see the potential direction of this thread, but it is a direction that is important to the 'organization', thus a valuable tool...the concern about personal insinuation is also valid, and I think it should be a concern for the direction of any thread...but this thread has created a LOT of response and follow-up watching...editorializing could have some really negative effects... if every one keeps their gloves on, more positive outcome is going to happen...is that what you wanted...???
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 AM   #283
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Maggie,

In my book, this is a huge step in the right direction... I call that "change"
Okay, not going to argue with you. Having worked for a State bureaucracy for 25 years, as entrenched in long-standing, poor decisions as any entity could be.........egos get very involved. Time will tell.

It does appear that someone(s) is paying attention to all this, and there are some steps in the right direction.

Merry Christmas!

Maggie
Old 12-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #284
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Merry Christmas everybody!

After working for clubs for many, many years I have to agree with Maggie. Ego's are a big part of it. I remember being a coach who was very successful with helping athletes achieve their goals. I always felt I was treated as if I was expendible. People would run for office and be elected to the board because they would want changes they felt were necessary, not necessarly what other members or coaches would want.

Some board members would want to make coaching decisions which would affect their children. These coaches are professional and certified. Board members are not. Many times these were poor decisions that could be harmful to the child in question. Trust me I don't miss those days. Ego's is what we are talking about. No doubt.

I remember once when I questioned a decision which I was felt would not benefit the club I was told I needed to fall in line because the board was made up of lawyers, doctors, and bank officers. Basically I was told I was a faliure because I went into coaching and I did not know anything. It still exists today. I was told to keep my mouth shut and do what I was instructed to do. That is when I started my own club and started it as a business. The club still exists and is very successful (my buddy runs it). One of the happiest times was when two dad's approached me and my partner and said we are going to form a board of directors because we want to make changes. My partner and I said no your not because this is a business.
If you don't like how we run things you can go to one of the other clubs. What a nice feeling. Board members would become obsessed with the sport. They wanted to be arm chair quarter backs.

If many of you feel you need to start a new club go for it. Competition will make each club better. You will learn from each other. I have seen clubs split many times because of ego's. I will tell you the rivialries would create some great performances in the sports field.

Brian

Brian
Old 12-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #285
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
if every one keeps their gloves on, more positive outcome is going to happen...is that what you wanted...???
<Moderator Hat ON>

The staff here recognizes that this is an emotionally charged subject. We are obviously monitoring this thread closely. We have no desire ever to edit or close threads; however, we do insist that our "play nice" rule be followed. When those who post to a thread go so far astray as to violate the Forums rules, eventually we decide that enough is enough and we close the thread. This one has come close, but as long as the discourse remains civil, and the Forums rules are followed, the thread will remain open.

Roger

<Moderator Hat OFF>
Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #286
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
No doubt, the suggestion to boycott the International would get attention even if the reduction is small. But officials would have to make the connection between cause and effect.

Most members won’t support a boycott or leave the club but delaying tactics do get attention.

It’s too late to withhold dues for 2010, and few are going to resign because it is a good club that should be kept alive. However, what if next year a substantial number delay paying dues until after the January meeting. The membership directory will be smaller- -that sends the message and creates a record- -as a major indicator of declining membership.

But no harm will be done because people will pay their dues in January and no one gives up the benefits of membership.
I think this is the best Idea yet. Have whole units delay dues so the book gets smaller. We have been left out of the book a few times, from paper errors, and it doesn't affect the years travel as no one ever really checks to see if you really are a member. A significantly smaller membership book may send a message.
1950 Spartan
Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #287
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Thanks Mods! Merry Christmas to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
<Moderator Hat ON>

The staff here recognizes that this is an emotionally charged subject. We are obviously monitoring this thread closely. We have no desire ever to edit or close threads; however, we do insist that our "play nice" rule be followed. When those who post to a thread go so far astray as to violate the Forums rules, eventually we decide that enough is enough and we close the thread. This one has come close, but as long as the discourse remains civil, and the Forums rules are followed, the thread will remain open.

Roger

<Moderator Hat OFF>
Thanks to the mods... and Merry Christmas once again to all... maybe as a Christmas present to all, the WBCCI meeting in Jan will be like no other in the past!! Perhaps it will look to the future and truly have a "See ya down the road" Spirit!

Truly,

Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #288
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
How about another act of civil disobedience-during the week of the IBT meeting, tape a piece of black crepe over your WBCCI numbers.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #289
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ham is in the oven, waiting for kids/grandkids to arrive.

What exactly occurs at the meeting in January? In Louisiana, it seems, where we are heading January 10th.

Anyone planning on attending?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #290
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Here is a link that might help if you want to go back and listen to the podcast of previous meetings. Seems odd that the agenda isnt posted, its almost as though they dont want members to know what will be discussed.........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #291
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Go guys, you will have a great time. It will be very worth while experience to say the least. I know that sounds like I am being sarcastic, but I am serious. It will be a very big learning experience.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
<Moderator Hat ON>

Roger

<Moderator Hat OFF>
As Joe Leiberman said to Al Franken "don't take it personnel" There they were just talking about the future Health of the Nations population, we're just talking about a Clubs future. Things may have to get a bit hot.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #293
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Roger,
Thanks for the effort you have to go through to be a moderator...my hat is off to almost all of you guys...someone has to ride herd on us miscreants, and while I may be critical, I have respect for a difficult job...yes, this thread is getting close to offensive...BUT, it really is creating thought...I'm not always comfortable with the direction...actually, it worries me more than a bit, but yer doin' a heck of a job...mike
Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #294
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Air forums is this forum and if anything Janet and friend bend over to the hilt to listen to what ever we say. I do not know what forum you refer to?
as for Wbcii it is shame if you like your local group that the local group says we need to be members of the wbcii to go to their rallys.
I love Air forums , we all get a chance to voice our opinions but most of all this is a great place to meet friends and get help when needed.
thanks you Air forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #295
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
I have really enjoyed the Air Forum Rallies thus far and attend two each year. I think Air Forum Rallies are an excellent source to build upon to serve the needs of folks who do not want to be members of WBCCI. Anyone can line up a rally. Those blue numbers are just the rage! And they don't have to involve a lot of expense or hassle. You can make it as simple or complex as you like. Your parking spot and the terms and conditions of your stay are set by the public or private campground your staying at. Anything extra is usually provided by volunteers. These are enjoyable, more open and relaxing, and provides what most folks are looking for. Other than that, there are established professional touring companies that specialize in foreign trips and extended trips to say Alaska, Canada, and Mexico. Don't forget about the Good Sams trips. They have paid staff that do all the heavy lifting and it comes with your membership. They are heavy on SOB units but surely would welcome Airstreamers. In fact my guess is that on these heavily populated SOB trips that some conversions would occur. Of course I still maintain that the best trips are the trips you plan yourself and just hit the road.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Old 12-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Become a Tin Can Tourists Member

Quote:
Currently we have over 500 members and are growing rapidly. You don't have to attend rallies to join the group. If your currently finding benefit in using the services of the TCT website, you should consider membership.
The Tin Can Tourists, open to everyone, interested in the enjoyment, preservation, and the promotion of vintage trailers and motor coaches. The only age stipulation is for the Concours d'Elegance, held at the Annual Gathering, it is open to trailers 25 years or older and motor coaches 20 years or older.
Membership and yearly renewal dues are $20.00 - Members receive club decal, laminated membership/ID cards, quarterly newsletter, and TCT chronology from 1919 to the present.
Now their history is even older, founded in 1919. Seems like there could be a special organized Airstream group. I know and have already met many of you at some of the rallies there already, and even celebs like author Doug Keister and Airstream's numbered 75th anniversary Bambi designer David Winick. It's always a good time, dancing and contests and all ages together having fun, open house tours, pizza parties, catered meals that are terrific, morning coffee and casual. Its actually a lot more interesting and a lot more for alot less of your money than WBCCI rallies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tctcamp.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	93025

tct_history_and_images_from_the_past [DokuWiki]

photography
Old 12-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
OK, on our way...just need to know where you have in mind
Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #298
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Just don't fire the gen set; they frown on that.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
It's always a good time, dancing and contests and all ages together having fun, open house tours, pizza parties, catered meals that are terrific, morning coffee and casual. Its actually a lot more interesting and a lot more for alot less of your money than WBCCI rallies.
Carol,

Sounds just like what we have planned for the Wally Byam Birthday Bash... right down to the "more for your money" part... heck we even have some celebrities.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That Bash will be awesome Steve!!!!!!!!!!! Making your own fun is most of the...well...fun!!! Working out activities for all to enjoy and come together is a sure key to success.

photography
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com