Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
In search to cure the hunger and find perfect nutrition, they began to eat their own.
I think Wally and Pee Wee encountered some cannibals when the WBCCI ventured from Capetown, South Africa to Cairo, Egypt in 1959.

Part 1
YouTube - Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 1 of 5

Part 2
YouTube - Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 2 of 5

Part 3
YouTube - Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 3 of 5

Part 4
YouTube - Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 4 of 5

Part 5
YouTube - Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 5 of 5

Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
biting yer time...?

Beginning to think that the only cannibals PeeWee has encountered are on this thread

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #199
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
The target is the IBT

For years it’s been the tradition for those in power to avoid direct dialogue on important issues concerning the general membership. The IBT’s legacy is largely responsible. There have been counter productive and misguided actions, comments and digressions. Remember the target is the IBT- -because they control and maintains the bylaws.

One can’t blame or ridicule the current administration for the systemic issues and then expect them to trust our concerns and work on progressive improvements. Whatever it takes to implement changes, be they political, procedural, administrative, etc. these are factors that need to be taken into account. And it will take time. That time spent during the transition will see a continued erosion of membership as well as reduction of first-time members.

The theme of this thread, i.e., the resignation of very active, prominent and outspoken members, is another wakeup call. Never forget why they quit. As we try to avoid controversial issues among the various factions one needs to focus on the real issues. Several good ideas and policies are listed in this thread and elsewhere on AIRForums.

On Jan. 14, 2009, the WBCCI’s “2020 Long Range Planning Committee” presented a number of change proposals. See: http://www.wbcci2.org/NewDirections2020.pdf .
It’s a start, but one has to wonder what happened in the year since then. If people have to wait 10 years for any possible changes it will be too late.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Michael and Tracy Bertch...30362...4CU...Air# something...I pay, I play, but I expect more for my money than someone else's meals...NO, I don't have a vest, BUT I DO have a tiara...wear THAT to the international!!!mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
O.K., I've resisted comment so far, but I will kick things into gear tomorrow. Basically, we are almost at two star W.B.C.C.I. status and we are staying put!

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #202
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
points of views...that matter from those that have tried it

Rob’s proclamation of separation has stirred much interest on Airforums and after five plus days has over ten thousand view counts. And just yesterday a few posters appeared with the plea that this thread be put to rest. This seems to be a minority view judging by the view count. Hopefully they can utilize the thread edit feature to avoid more discomfort.

My few contributions to this subject were sent to counter the usual wave of WB club detractors that always follow after the first complaint. My point of view on this is if you have participated in club rallies and caravans and decide it is not for you it’s your choice to no longer participate in this activity. As we have heard there are conflicting feelings from members of the WB club.

Some examples are.….I like to camp with my Airstream friends but hate the politics, ceremonies, fees, etc. This is good. You have tried it, love it, hate it and have an opinion about what would work better for you and your travelling container. Maybe club membership is a worthwhile experience excepting for the IBT controversy and you are willing to help change this while remaining in the club.

What is strange to me are the responses from many Airstream owners that have not attended group events, rallies, meets but feel the need to express their views as to why this would not work for them. The retorts come out something like:

We brought our AS to escape from groups, clubs, rules etc. and no way would we join!

I have heard about….. Flags, ceremonies, hats, age issues, rules, not for me!

Too expensive and fees not applied locally. Value not returned from dues.

Why would we (young, hip, vibrant, cool) kids what to hang out with the retirees?

Who cares about the history, traditions of the club, WB or the trailers themselves?

To this I would have to ask? Then why do you care? Why share the negative opinions with others that may be interested in joining and attending events?

What is most surprising and disconcerting about Rob’s and others leaving the club now is they have been the most ardent Wally Byam Club supporters over the last so many years. They helped foster and cultivate new interest in the Club, vintage trailers and Airstream as the brand. Rob has an excellent blog which details the trials and tribulations of the vintage ownership while balancing family and work demands. As most know he is a panel member on Tim Shepard’s, “TheVAP”podcast.

Frank Yelsen is a somewhat new member and has dived head first into vintage trailer ownership. Web savvy and gregarious, this guess gad fly has buzzed his way into the call in section of the VAP. Frank is an active contributor to the Airforums and also his own entertaining and informative websites. He has even started his own trailer restoration service and freely offers advice on his blogs.

Disconcerting for fellow trailer enthusiasts like me as we now read about their plans not participate in future WB club activities????

Wait a minute…. these guys were living the dream? Buying, selling, restoring, camping, rallying, and travelling over the next hill, and the one after that, and after that……….and wearing the beret to boot!

What happened? Is this really about the top heavy handed Club leadership and their perks? Or is part of this some leftover hurt feelings from the Madison International Fiasco?

Rob, you have related that the Vintage club is also of no use to you now? I had read you were on your way to be the vintage club prez and after Madison resigned officiating from the Vintage club.

So maybe there is more to this then the clubs current financial woes in your decision to leave?

All this and the latest Vintage Advantage magazine has pictures of these guys and their trailers. Their west coast promo men are working overtime.

Remember the movie Network? The lead character is a TV newsman and convinces his viewers to go to their windows and yell out, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” I think he goes insane at some point. Someone here on the forums occasionally mentions to remember this is just a RV/trailer club and not life and death.

Dale “Pee Wee” Schwamborn has also been an interesting character in this ongoing love/hate debate about the club. One of my favorite things about Airstreams is the Wally Byam history and the early caravans’ to far parts of the world. Mr. Schwamborn’s recollections and his Mothers photos provide countless hours of blissful escape to days long gone. Thanks Dale!

Another movie comes to mind:

In Bridge over the River Kwai the prisoner of war British Colonel Nicholson is assigned to construct a bridge using his subordinate fellow prisoners. He does this knowing that as long as they are providing a service the Japanese captors will still need them and keep them alive even though the bridge will be used to supply the enemy’s war effort.

As the bridge nears completion, the British officer has become obsessive about its completion and wants to build it as a monument to the British character. Unknown to him the allies have a plan to blow up the bridge.

Somewhere at the base of the bridge Rob, frank and John are wiring up the explosives while Pee Wee sees them from above and attempts to stop them.

In the distance a caravan approaches and starts to cross over. I know….. it is just a caravan club and not life or death. But it is a great diversion.

Gary

Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #203
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Gary I usually agree with you totally. I have no desires to blow up any bridges. I am just going to build my own bridge. My bridge will be toll free and have no lane restrictions. I think the bridge you are referring to might be the one built by someone else...
YouTube - Color Footage of Tacoma Narrows
Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #204
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Oh and my number use to be 7183....
Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #205
1 Rivet Member

1989 35' Land Yacht
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
What is strange to me are the responses from many Airstream owners that have not attended group events, rallies, meets but feel the need to express their views as to why this would not work for them. The retorts come out something like:

We brought our AS to escape from groups, clubs, rules etc. and no way would we join!

I have heard about….. Flags, ceremonies, hats, age issues, rules, not for me!

Too expensive and fees not applied locally. Value not returned from dues.

Why would we (young, hip, vibrant, cool) kids what to hang out with the retirees?

Who cares about the history, traditions of the club, WB or the trailers themselves?

To this I would have to ask? Then why do you care? Why share the negative opinions with others that may be interested in joining and attending events?

I am glad they care, I was on the fence about to jump, but have now climbed back down. A topic like this is what a forums are all about.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #206
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post

Somewhere at the base of the bridge Rob, frank and John are wiring up the explosives while Pee Wee sees them from above and attempts to stop them.

Gary

I see it differently. Ther way I look at it Rob, Frank, me, and many others are pointing at the explosives and yelling at the top of our lungs for others to come help us stop the destruction! The bridge has been wired for years. It's time to do something about it.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #207
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Gary, it's hard for to decide whether you don't get it or you simply don't want to get it. I own a vintage Dodge pickup. I have a vested interest in Mopar groups, for any number of reasons. Vintage Dodge clubs are a great resource for restoration information. The more active vintage owners there are, the greater the chance of after-market support. An active social network, frankly, makes my old Dodge more valuable. It makes my Dodge more fun.

A healthy, functioning, growing WBCCI would be an asset to me as a vintage Airstream owner. As a person whose academic training and professional experience is based on understanding organizations (and managing them), and as a person who has taken a long, objective look at the WBCCI, I have concluded the organization is in trouble, deep trouble.

Your question (wrapped in a somewhat passive-aggressive tortilla) is, "Why should I care"? Because the failure of the WBCCI serves no positive purpose for me as a vintage owner. And clearly, the kind of energy necessary to change the WBCCI is not going to come from within, not when the grievance process is used to squelch dissent, not when the Byzantine rules and regulations restrict the abilities of rank-and-file membes to have a voice, not when a handful of leaders at the International control the organization and profit from this position, and, Gary, not when apologists like you have your blue-beret covered heads in the sand.

I know this is difficult to understand, Gary, but my criticism is because I don't want to see the WBCCI fail. And I don't want to join because giving the WBCCI $75 is like throwing another shot glass of gasoline onto the fire. The faster the WBCCI burns through its cash reserves, the faster the membership rolls drop, the faster the current organizational model becomes utterly unsustainable and the lack of resources denies the leadership their perquisites, the faster we come to a point where the organization can be saved. And if it can't be saved, it can die so the Airstream community can migrate to something else.

Now, it is possible, Gary, that people are so coked to the gills on Wally-lore and so completely stiff-necked that they would rather see the WBCCI fail than change. Or it may simply be that they think 2500 of the "right people" are better than 25,000 trailer rabble who want to engage in some 21st century camping. I don't know.

Thanks, Gary, but who know Rob is. We know who Frank is. And unlike you, I think many of us take Rob and Frank and their words. Speculating that they are really sulking like children over something that happened in Madison shows a lack of respect for them.

Is the WBCCI life or death? No, and it's a silly suggestion. But Rob and Frank have taken the WBCCI seriously, and they've come to a point where they cannot, in good faith, remain members of the club. This isn't the WBCCI forums; this is the Airstream community. These gentlemen have the right to explain their decision to other members of the community. I think this is outstanding because it continues to ratchet up the pressure on the WBCCI to evolve.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Why I left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Remember the target is the IBT- -because they control and maintains the bylaws.
That is right - my target is the IBT. I did not quit.. trust me, just getting going against them... and the tree can be cut from the outside too!

The IBT's center of gravity is $$$$$

Their critical vulnerability is membership (when you give them your $55 or whatever they raise it too (interesting they aren't thinking like "I wonder if we cut it to $40 a year how many would join)) and INTERNATIONAL as when you pay (for me) $600 to attend, just to get in the gates, you are further saying "I support you all and what you are doing....

If $55 a year went to WDCU and $1 to Corporate, I'd never have left... no way. But it doesn't... hell, I'd pay WDCU $100 a year for what I get.. but that's not the point. I don't support what the IBT is doing and REFUSE to give them my support. And $$$ is the only thing they care about.

Well, I don't. Staying and trying to work from the inside, won't work people. I'd had alot of emails where people outright say I'll continue to beat my head against the wall - Wally - wall, maybe it fits? But I'm not gonna.

We're working on a new club - one where you shouldn't have to beat your head against a wall - why would you want too. Will the new club happen, time will tell.

Many have told me, I'll join! That is great. But many say they won't leave the WBCCI until another option is out there.. that is also your prerogative. Many were working and thinking of defecting but have changed their mind as well - and that's ok too... if you think you can change it from within, keep on trying.. all tactics will help in the long run.

Just keep up the pressure.

Good job everyone!

Rob

PS - Gary, I resigned from the VAC before Madison, all because of being messed with after Bozeman, after I was skipped over with someone that was not even on the board to replace my moving up, after being asked if I wanted to move up and said Hell Yes, but was replaced because 1. I hadn't been to an International 2. That I did not have the ability to plan and lead a parade of vintage into International and 3. That I wasn't attending because I was recalled to active duty and couldn't make it to Bozeman.. I slept on that decision for about 320 days.... the VAC has it's many issues too, but this is about the IBT.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Leo - a question

Leo,

When you're booted from the WBCCI very shortly, by a club that takes your money but doesn't listen to you, will you be joining our cause?

Now, I can't go to your Pocono Rally, but what happens when you are booted? Will it become a non WBCCI rally? Then I'll be there!

When do we hear of your fate? ...with all those points you just made, wow - a CAMPING club should NEVER be like that.

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Thanks Leo & Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Leo,

When you're booted from the WBCCI very shortly, by a club that takes your money but doesn't listen to you, will you be joining our cause?

Now, I can't go to your Pocono Rally, but what happens when you are booted? Will it become a non WBCCI rally? Then I'll be there!

When do we hear of your fate? ...with all those points you just made, wow - a CAMPING club should NEVER be like that.

Rob
This is a good example of two people that have been there, done that. And are taking different routes to make a change.

The other contributors that are on the fence about joining, outside of the fence or buiding higher one should have some idea what this club does before joining.
It is a RV/travel trailer club that organizes rallys, caravans and other social related events. The vintage group does the same with more emphasis on history, restoration and travelling vintage.

If you do not like these kinds of activities do not join. If you think it is all about the negativity offered up by the group that does not even have an interest in joining the club you are wrong.

The club has problems now and Leo & Rob are working at two different ways to fix the problem. At least they have been there.

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com