Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Give me a straight answer, do we have to join first?

We just got our first airstream. We would love to join a group and attend rallies, but we're not sure if WBCCI is for us. We would like to attend a meeting and a rally of the local unit to meet them and then decide if we would like to join. Is that possible? I have asked the local unit president this exact question 3 times and he never gives me a straight answer.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
We just got our first airstream. We would love to join a group and attend rallies, but we're not sure if WBCCI is for us. We would like to attend a meeting and a rally of the local unit to meet them and then decide if we would like to join. Is that possible? I have asked the local unit president this exact question 3 times and he never gives me a straight answer.
Jason and Andrea,
Any WBCCI chapter worth its salt will allow you to attend the rallies and meetings. You are approaching this in the correct manner. Have a look see before joining. Also be aware that there are Air Forum sponsored rallies that usually require no club affiliation. So take a look at the rally forums and find one that you can attend and sign up.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Try this. Find out which campground the rally is at and then just show up as a regular camper. I am sure the campground will not send you away and you can mingle with rhe club people. jim
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Welcome to the forums from SW Colorado

I agree with Carl, and Elaine, and of course Bailey Beagle. The president of the local unit apparently is not interested in "getting to know you" . You can go on line to Airstream and get a listing of units relatively close to you and contact them about their upcoming rallies. There are several A/S units out there that are anxious for new members and would be glad to have you attend their rallies.
You can also join as a member at large. That costs a little more but you do not have a home club. Good luck in your research.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
When I bought our Airstream, I thought I would join wbcci right away. After reading more about them, I backed away. I didn't want that kind of relationship taking up my free time.

But, then I had the pleasure of camping with a few WBCCI members and they were great! Overall, don't let the politics of the national stand in the way of meeting some great folks at the local level. But, I also won't beg to join a club. Find another one.

With that said, I'm content with the "Airforums" club! Great people, no politics, cheap dues, and great rallys.

Why don't you come on down for the Dogwoods and Bluegrass rally? Over 50 people will be there, and I'm sure the food will be flowing.

We have a caravan forming from Ohio and Mich people!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Smile Lots Of Rally Opportunities

While we're promoting Air Forum rallies...Come on over to PA to the Fall Colors Forum Rally at the Penn Wood Airstream Park. We'd love to meet you and show you a good time.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jason
I wanted to join the local Unit also But I got the same thing U did. I don't believe the WBCCI is for everyone. There are some really nice pple that frequent AirForums Rallys, some of those pple are WBCCI members ,however WBCCI is rarely mentioned. MY cuz is a Unit president out east but he never mentioned WBCCI while at the last AIRFORUMS Rally that we went too.I don't have a problem with WBCCI members ITS how the orginaization is run at the top. I think I am better served if I keep my Dues money and use it to camp with.
I do believe that U should SUPPORT THE LOCAL UNIT but when they dont even invite ya to a meeting IT kinda looks like they dont want us and Thats OK we can have fun without em.
Now dont get me wrong I have been invited and I appreicate it,but the invites came from 500 miles away from pple who are doing thier level best to keep the WBCCI alive.
Ok ENOUGH////// BOX Says "Shut ROGER"
Deitz is correct look at both and decide for yourself. I think it would be nice to discuss this over a camp fire. HOPE We see ya at one this spring, IF IT EVER GETS HERE
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

When we bought our Airstream about three years ago, we had a similar experience with WBCCI. The nearest unit would not even return our calls and emails. We eventually joined as members at large through the national office.

We have attended a couple of WBCCI rallies, and found them a bit stodgy. The people were very nice, but the atmosphere was kind of like an open house at a nursing home. We are not particularly young (59 & 60), but found these folks too old (by attitude) for us.

We have also attended several Forums Rallies. It's a totally different dynamic at the Forums Rallies. The events are not structured and very informal. We like this situation much better.

We have remained members of WBCCI so that we can attend any Airstream event that we care to.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Thanks for the ideas everyone. The local unit pres keeps saying that they would love to meet us and would like to have a young family in the group. My problem is that it's always followed by "I'll send you the applications." I don't want the applications right now. I want to meet the people and camp with them and find out how the kids like it. If they're the only kids and hate it, then it's not the group for us.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We chose to attend Air Forums rallys instead and the people we have met have been great. Lots of rallys to chose from--try one out near you and see what you think.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Every Unit has a different attitude and style. Shop around.

We belong to a diverse vibrant Unit and attend Airforums rallies.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Tami & I have joined the WBBCI as "member at large". This works for us as fulltimers. The discounted stays at airstream parks pays for the membership fees. You can't beat $180 a month at Top of Georgia Airstream Park. This was for full hookups with cable & WIFI.

As new Airstream owners you should contact you local unit. Let them know your situation & ask if they would allow you to stay a weekend as a potential new member. With membership on the decline, I can't imagine them saying no.

Look around the park for a playground. The Pennwood Airstream park has a playground for kids while others we stayed at had nothing but a field. This seemed odd to us as what would the grandkids do when visiting those who live in the parks. Be sure to ask about the pet policy if traveling with one. They are set up by the park & not WBCCI.

Feel free to look up Airforum members in your area as well. You could have your own little unofficial rally with a couple of people. Welcome to this club & I'll be looking for you in the other one if you join.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jason & Andrea, at the top of the page there's a link to Rally Calendar and you can check out all the rallies, Forum and WBCCI, by month. At the left side of page under Quick Links, there's one for rallies and I think that's the one that separates Forum and WBCCI rallies.

We've only gone to one rally. It was small and informal and although technically a WBCCI rally, had none of the formalities that apparently are followed in some parts of the country. There are a lot of subcultures in America and they don't always mix well; this is reflected in the WBCCI as well as just about everywhere else. You will find, if you look around there are a number of threads on the WBCCI and they also reflect the differences between what people want. A lot of people agonize whether to join the WBCCI, or to quit once they are members; others are fully committed or fully uncommitted. I haven't seen any threads analyzing Forum rallies, they just are organized by one or more individuals, they happen, I guess everywhere is ok with that. Although people have said the WBCCI is dominated by old people, I think it isn't that so much as a certain subculture in some units, but not others.

It seems rallies are very important to some people, less so to others and not at all to the rest. We enjoyed meeting Airstream owners and seeing their trailers. If we had starting talking politics, well, I don't know what would have happened. Actually I did talk politics with General Disarray, but that was civil and he and I get along fine, but a group discussion might have been "interesting". There was no question in our minds there was diversity of subculture there, but the common thread was boondocking and Airstream. When you have a diverse group of Airstream owners when politics or power questions are injected besides camping and Airstreams, there can be conflict. We will probably go to a Forum rally in northern California this summer and it appears it'll be camping, beautiful and interesting places and Airstreams only.

Gene
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We are not WBCCI members. However, we do attend Forum rallys and some of the rally attendies are WB members. We enjoy asking of their experiences of their membership. This would be a good way to come in contact and ask your questions.
Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote