Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
We joined the WBCCI after meeting several at a forums rally. We also wanted to join the VAC and experience an International rally. We attend both WBCCI and forum rallies and although they are slightly different we have fun at both. I find it odd though that the unit president did not invite you to a buddy rally. These rallies are open to non members to try out the group. I certainly wouldn't join without checking the unit out.

Oh by the way, I checked out the pics of your trailer and it is beautiful. We have a 74 Sovereign and have been hooked ever since we brought it home. I would also like to cordially invite you to come to the Metro Detroit forums rally. We are pretty sure it will be the first weekend in August in Milan, MI. That's only about 2 1/2 hrs from you. We have an age range of 3 to 70+ and a good time is had by all! Mikethefixit and DanB can vouch for me.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Any WBCCI unit worth it's weight in gold will welcome ANY Airstreamer whether they are members of the WBCCI or not. Period. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a lot of different units and they all have their own flavor. Find what works for you. Join us out West when you're in the neighborhood! www.CentralCoastAirstream.org
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We empathize with your hesitancy, as we also hesitated for the very same reasons...we wanted to experience it before we signed on...so we went to a 4CU as guests and had such a great time at the rally we joined before we returned home... Units that will not let you come to see what it's like are probably not for you. Those that welcome you as guests...(and why wouldn't they—you are potential members, after all)...are the folks you are going to have fun with. There are units like the 4CU that are easy going, low on formalities, diverse and welcoming...seek them out! Join us for a rally if you can...we'd welcome you!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Join your local unit, have an open mind and approach everyone in a friendly way. You will find new friends and experiences are waiting for you.

Too bad you don't live here in Colorado....we have some great people in the WBCCI and VAC here....love em all!!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
We have looked at the local units, and we have used SaveWally.org quite extensively and have found it a great resource. It is how we discovered that the closest unit doesn't even have a website and conducts all of their meetings during the workweek and at lunchtime! Kinda tough for a working person to attend those! That alone irks me because they are insensitive to the lifestyle of the people whom they need to recruit in order to ensure that younger folks join and participate in their group and make sure the WBCCI continues. We have contacted another local unit and we've been told: join, go to a meeting, join, go to a rally, join, we don't really have people like you, join. Just a little to much "join" in there. If I wasn't interested in joining, I would have never contacted them. They should realize this and concentrate on making sure that I have a good time and fit in and am welcomed...not push me to join and then just hope that I like it.

In the end, we have requested an application and info. be sent to us. We will likely go to a meeting and we will likely go to a rally or two with the group. I'm willing to shut up and be the first one to step in as a "youngster" and try to be involved. However, if the natives are unreceptive and other people with similar aged children do not come to the rallies, then our membership will be short lived. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but I've done this a few times before and each time I've been disappointed. I'm not excited about giving $55 + local $ to an org. that really hasn't impressed me as of yet. So far, good sam is much cheaper and offers family & children oriented activities at every rally. Not that I must be exclusive to one group, just gotta weigh $ versus happiness / output from the group.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #26
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
My wife and I bought our AS in May '07 and decided to join WBCCI as MALs. We weren't certain which club to join. Also, we didn't know about Air Forums and some of the controversy with WBCCI. In June '07 we attended Metro NY's 50th Anniversary Rally at Fort Schuyler (SUNY Maritime College - Visiting Maritime), Bronx, NY.
They are the friendliest folks around and we immediately became part of the family. It was a great rally. This year my wife and I are the hosts of the rally at Ft Schuyler. 65GT is the current present of the NY Metro Unit and is our co-host.
Look around and find a unit that meets your needs.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I wish that those whom we've contacted had as much enthusiasm for attracting, pleasing, and accommodating us as you do. Sadly, you're doing more to get us to get involved than they are. And you have no vested interest other then the betterment of the WBCCI nationally.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I wish that those whom we've contacted had as much enthusiasm for attracting, pleasing, and accommodating us as you do. Sadly, you're doing more to get us to get involved than they are. And you have no vested interest other then the betterment of the WBCCI nationally.

We all wish you the best of luck finding a good home.
Sure not funny, but I did not see one reply from Ohio.The home of the WBCCI
Go west young man and join the 4CU.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Give me a straight answer, do we have to join first?

Greetings Jason and Andrea!

You shouldn't have to join before attending your first rally. Most units have an unwritten policy of welcoming non-member families to at least one rally as a trial-run. In those instances, the visitor is asked to pay the rally fee -- and often the membershp director for the unit will contact the prospective member a few days later to encourage them to consider joining. I know of people who have joined at Unit and Regional rallys that I have attended -- in fact, the couple who I was parked next to at the International Rally in Bozeman last summer joined the WBCCI and registered for the International Rally all in one fell swoop.

As others have said, there can be a tremendous difference in local units. In 1995 when I joined as a 35 year old, I was among the younger members. One thing that I have learned along the way is that one indicator of the activity level of the unit is the level of Vintage involvement -- and Vintage involvement usually means a higher probability of younger members. The Vintage Intra-Club was just getting started in 1995, but by the time I attended my first International in 1998, the Vintage Airstream Club had become very active. There are a number of local units across the country with an active VAC contingent -- one of the reasons that I have maintained my membership in the Wisconsin Unit despite having moved several times during the intervening years -- and even when I first joined it was not my closest unit -- I just preferred where they usually held their rallys when compared to my closest unit.

With your '74 model coach, you should fit right in with the VAC crowd found in a number of the local units. VAC members from your area may be able to give you leads on the club with the most active VAC groups.

I can certainly attest to the fact that I have gotten so much more enjoyment from my Airstream as a result of my membership. I never would have seen some of the sights in Ohio had I not participated in the 1999 Vinate Airstream Club Wagon Wheels Caravan to the International Rally in Dayton, Ohio. I would also have been hard-pressed to plan a vacation that was any better than the Wagon Wheels Carvan to the International Rally in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Leo is passionate about the club to say the very least. He devotes a great deal of time and energy to keep things out in the open.

I want to throw out another offer to you.... June 24th, the WDCU will be at Jackson Center making their way out to the International in Madison. Come on over, down, up and join us for the dinner. We are caravanning out together and that is our first night out. From there we go to the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart In, on the 25th. You can join us there. We are mostly vintage units and we have a few vintage members, but they are all raring for the road, so come by and say hello.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote