Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would like to extend a formal invitation to a Washington DC Unit rally any time you would like. Most are a days drive away from you, but we have members all over the world. Our unit is very diverse on many levels and you are always welcome to join us weather you have red numbers or not. Here is a link:WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) to our website. The rally schedule is to the right, maybe you will come out sometime.

I am fortunate. I can attend any rally I choose to.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Straight answer?

Straight answer from WBCCI,Most likely not.MOST of the time NO answer.
BUT shop around there are lots of grate units like the 4CU.
DO NOT let the politics of the WBCCI keep you from joining a unit that you like.If you find a unit that you like join.The old folks that run the WBCCI most likely will never come around to bother you.
I know the 4CU is along ways from you but your always welcome to join us.Many have.
That is as STRAIGHT A ANSEWER as I can give.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE AND SILENCE IS CONSENT.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
To WBCCI or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
When we bought our Airstream about three years ago, we had a similar experience with WBCCI. The nearest unit would not even return our calls and emails. We eventually joined as members at large through the national office.

We have attended a couple of WBCCI rallies, and found them a bit stodgy. The people were very nice, but the atmosphere was kind of like an open house at a nursing home. We are not particularly young (59 & 60), but found these folks too old (by attitude) for us.

We have also attended several Forums Rallies. It's a totally different dynamic at the Forums Rallies. The events are not structured and very informal. We like this situation much better.

We have remained members of WBCCI so that we can attend any Airstream event that we care to.
Moosetags,

While we have participated in a few Air Forums events, we had not attended any WBCCI events until this past weekend.

We attended the Greater New Orleans Mardi Gras Rally for the past week. The folks that put the rally together deserve a well earned "Thank You" for all of their hard work. The event was a success as far as we are concerned.

Your lines, "The people were very nice, but the atmosphere was kind of like an open house at a nursing home. We are not particularly young (59 & 60), but found these folks too old (by attitude) for us.", says it all.

I am older than you but found your comments to be bang on.

Like several others, I am reluctant to give money to an organization over which I, as a member, would have little to no control.

Will we attend additional WBCCI events? Perhaps, but only as non members; we see nothing that the WBCCI offers to be of value given the cost involved and lack of control that the membership has over the international organization who is the recipient of the money.

And then there is the issue of the rise on MAL dues in order to offset SOME of the defict spending that the WBCCI approves.

We continue to work toward the creation of a new Airstream Club.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We did not remain MAL's. We joined the Four Corners Unit even though we live far from their home ground. It saves us about $20 a year on dues, and part of the money goes to the unit where it will be put to better use.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Moosetags,

We continue to work toward the creation of a new Airstream Club.

Jim
We're with you. I'm fine with "righteous old dudes" and would be more than happy to camp with them. There's got to be a new-era club. Call it the WBCCI or something else, but I like being a member of common-interest clubs and I love my Airstream. I want others (even non-Airstreamers) to be allowed to see what we have and why we band together. I liken it to the BMW motorcycle rallies that I was invited to when I owned a Honda. I went, I saw, I bought a BMW, then I bought a second one (sold the first). I don't want an elite-ist group. But, I do want to try to have others see the wonderfulness that is an Airstream. I want to see families camping together, doing things together. I want to see children having 20 sets of grandparents at rallies, I want to see yuppies finding the desire to explore the outdoors and the finding community in common interests and sharing new interests with their new found friends in silver shells. I want 20 year old newlyweds to WANT to go get an Airstream and go camping. I want 80-year-olds to want to go up to those 20 year old newlyweds and fold out their camp chairs and say, "Hi, how are you?"

What can we do? How can we change the "machine" that currently exists or create a new organization that is less of a "machine"? I'm no pro at this, but I'm more than willing to help. Can we make local chapters that are Airforum based? Can we have meetings via IM or Yahoo Messenger? Let's take this into the 21st century and keep the Airstreams rolling.

-Jason
Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
Jason,
I have very little experiance and am not yet a member of WBCCI, but I will be. I married late, so at 45, I am the father of a 3 year old and have a 16 year old stepdaughter. You need to check out a VAC rally. I think you might find what you are looking for. I found myself accidently in the middle of the 2008 East Coast VAC rally last June and that motivated me to go out and look for an affordable vintage coach. Please don't let politics keep you from joining. I am going to join WDCU because they have some rallys that I can reach and there were several members that I met and they seemed like my kind of people. Also, if you want to help set up a new organization, that's wonderful, but leave open the option of being part of what is already in place.

Thanks, MIke
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
We joined the WBCCI after meeting several at a forums rally. We also wanted to join the VAC and experience an International rally. We attend both WBCCI and forum rallies and although they are slightly different we have fun at both. I find it odd though that the unit president did not invite you to a buddy rally. These rallies are open to non members to try out the group. I certainly wouldn't join without checking the unit out.

Oh by the way, I checked out the pics of your trailer and it is beautiful. We have a 74 Sovereign and have been hooked ever since we brought it home. I would also like to cordially invite you to come to the Metro Detroit forums rally. We are pretty sure it will be the first weekend in August in Milan, MI. That's only about 2 1/2 hrs from you. We have an age range of 3 to 70+ and a good time is had by all! Mikethefixit and DanB can vouch for me.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Any WBCCI unit worth it's weight in gold will welcome ANY Airstreamer whether they are members of the WBCCI or not. Period. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a lot of different units and they all have their own flavor. Find what works for you. Join us out West when you're in the neighborhood! www.CentralCoastAirstream.org
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We empathize with your hesitancy, as we also hesitated for the very same reasons...we wanted to experience it before we signed on...so we went to a 4CU as guests and had such a great time at the rally we joined before we returned home... Units that will not let you come to see what it's like are probably not for you. Those that welcome you as guests...(and why wouldn't they—you are potential members, after all)...are the folks you are going to have fun with. There are units like the 4CU that are easy going, low on formalities, diverse and welcoming...seek them out! Join us for a rally if you can...we'd welcome you!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join your local unit, have an open mind and approach everyone in a friendly way. You will find new friends and experiences are waiting for you.

Too bad you don't live here in Colorado....we have some great people in the WBCCI and VAC here....love em all!!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
We have looked at the local units, and we have used SaveWally.org quite extensively and have found it a great resource. It is how we discovered that the closest unit doesn't even have a website and conducts all of their meetings during the workweek and at lunchtime! Kinda tough for a working person to attend those! That alone irks me because they are insensitive to the lifestyle of the people whom they need to recruit in order to ensure that younger folks join and participate in their group and make sure the WBCCI continues. We have contacted another local unit and we've been told: join, go to a meeting, join, go to a rally, join, we don't really have people like you, join. Just a little to much "join" in there. If I wasn't interested in joining, I would have never contacted them. They should realize this and concentrate on making sure that I have a good time and fit in and am welcomed...not push me to join and then just hope that I like it.

In the end, we have requested an application and info. be sent to us. We will likely go to a meeting and we will likely go to a rally or two with the group. I'm willing to shut up and be the first one to step in as a "youngster" and try to be involved. However, if the natives are unreceptive and other people with similar aged children do not come to the rallies, then our membership will be short lived. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but I've done this a few times before and each time I've been disappointed. I'm not excited about giving $55 + local $ to an org. that really hasn't impressed me as of yet. So far, good sam is much cheaper and offers family & children oriented activities at every rally. Not that I must be exclusive to one group, just gotta weigh $ versus happiness / output from the group.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #26
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
My wife and I bought our AS in May '07 and decided to join WBCCI as MALs. We weren't certain which club to join. Also, we didn't know about Air Forums and some of the controversy with WBCCI. In June '07 we attended Metro NY's 50th Anniversary Rally at Fort Schuyler (SUNY Maritime College - Visiting Maritime), Bronx, NY.
They are the friendliest folks around and we immediately became part of the family. It was a great rally. This year my wife and I are the hosts of the rally at Ft Schuyler. 65GT is the current present of the NY Metro Unit and is our co-host.
Look around and find a unit that meets your needs.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I wish that those whom we've contacted had as much enthusiasm for attracting, pleasing, and accommodating us as you do. Sadly, you're doing more to get us to get involved than they are. And you have no vested interest other then the betterment of the WBCCI nationally.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I wish that those whom we've contacted had as much enthusiasm for attracting, pleasing, and accommodating us as you do. Sadly, you're doing more to get us to get involved than they are. And you have no vested interest other then the betterment of the WBCCI nationally.

We all wish you the best of luck finding a good home.
Sure not funny, but I did not see one reply from Ohio.The home of the WBCCI
Go west young man and join the 4CU.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote