Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Gettin' legit for the Region 9 Rally

So I finally got around to putting my numbers on after a year or so. I brought il Carriaggio the Argosy home from the storage shed to wash and tinker and put the numbers on, since Friday morning I'm heading to Mineola, TX to the Region 9 2012 Rally. I figured I might as well figure out how to stick the bloody things on.

Before anyone asks, I don't know if the ladder is rated for fat bastards, I've had it for 20 years and it hasn't collapsed under me yet.

Let me say, having done this at 80F in the sun, 5 is now my least-favorite numeral.

I'll just tell myself everyone would've made fun of me for not having numbers on the trailer in Mineola so it was worth the effort!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Looks good!

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Breaking the Law

Not sure about the “Fat Bastard” rating of the ladder (will check government rules and regulations later), but you are not wearing your approved OSHA safety harness, hardhat, gloves, steel toed boots, goggles and back support belt. I will check the Union contract to determine if by chance since you are standing on the third step up the ladder it did not also require another person holding the ladder with a supervisor watching both of you to make sure all guidelines were followed in accordance to the contract you had with yourself to put the numbers on in the first place along with proof of insurance, business licenses and appropriate permits at the Local/State/Federal level. My guess you used some type of cleaner that will also require all the correct EPA paperwork/permits for the handling/disposal of those chemicals.

Link to OSHA/EPA, Laws and Regulation website

http://www.osha.gov/law-regs.html

http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/

Oh, I’m sorry it appears based on the picture I’m wrong since you are a private citizen much of this is not required of you. “BUT” had you done this in a factory or for someone else as a business it would have.

And we wonder why it cost so much to make something in the good old USA?

Glad to see you’re having some fun and the numbers look great. Now just try not to break any WBCCI rules at the rally!

Enjoy,
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Details, details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
~~ My guess you used some type of cleaner that will also require all the correct EPA paperwork/permits for the handling/disposal of those chemicals.
~~
Heh... you forgot to mention the sunscreen, I probably had enough of that on to require some sort of atmospheric permit. And I still managed to burn lightly in a couple of places.

I think that in some towns, my running commentary on the state of adhesive plastic lettering systems would have qualified me for a fine as well.

If I ever buy a new trailer, I'm going to make the dealer apply the numbers as part of the purchase agreement!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
My answer to putting on numbers is to buy adhesive vinyl numbers from a sign shop that are already perfectly aligned and spaced on a paper backing. Simply place them, rub firmly, and peel off the backing paper. The adhesive numbers are a lot stronger than the decals and will not be blown off in a ar wash like decals. I did the same for my TAC numbers and my trailer name by the door. Swearing is not required.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Someday when I run out of other things to spend money on and have the Argosy repainted, I'll have to try the sign-shop approach. It would have to cost a lot for it not to be well worth it!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
My trailer is still a baldy. I'm happy you posted your experience with the numbers.
From what I can see, it looks like you did a professional job. Maybe you found a new hobby. By the way, what do you charge to install numbers? Ha, ha!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re-reading the instructions, it might have been slightly easier with a little soap in the water (I was just using a spray bottle of tap water.) Still, I didn't have a lot of trouble once I got the decal onto the surface, it was getting the 5s and 6s off the backing and onto the trailer without having them crumple up and stick to themselves.

It's odd how different it looks with the numbers on. I think the number color is actually an excellent match for an Argosy, at least an Argosy with 37-year-old paint. I'm pretty sure that parts have been touched up with a rattle-can at some point, I cleaned some overspray off the windows yesterday while I was washing the trailer before doing the numbers.

Bluto: as to my hourly... well, I'd consider it for what I could bill per hour as an IT consultant. At that rate it would probably be the same or less at a dealer.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
After careful consideration and due deliberation I think you need to start over and move them all 3/16" to the left and 1/32" up.

Other that that..... well done.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Who do I thank for only having four numbers?

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post
Who do I thank for only having four numbers?
Numbers are recycled after being out of use for a few years. That was not always the case, hence the 5-digit numbers you see. I chcked for the number I wanted and found it was available (9632- Sept 6, 1932, my date of birth).
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I did it to myself, actually. Since 15566 was the sequential number AIRforums assigned me, I asked WBCCI for it when I joined. In retrospect, 1111 would be much easier to stick on!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX
I did it to myself, actually. Since 15566 was the sequential number AIRforums assigned me, I asked WBCCI for it when I joined. In retrospect, 1111 would be much easier to stick on!
Funny, first thing I said to my wife when I finished "I want 1111" next time!

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
10656 was the ghost numbers on my trailer, so that is the numbers I requested and received. I still have not gotten around to putting them on. It is not one of those high priority items on the to do list at this time. I need to do a little light cleaning and polishing up of the upper sections before I place them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote