Old 12-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Smile gentle (helpful) criticism sought

Moments ago, I activated our WBCCI unit’s web site. www.wbcci-svova.org
IT IS TRULY UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
But, be that as it may, even at this early, early stage, I would still appreciate the comments of members of this forum.

Much content, style, and speed of loading will be improved over the next few weeks.
I especially would look for “how to” suggestions as my web maker capabilities are only about an hour older than the web site.

Comparisons to Shari Davis’ or John Irwin’s sites should be softened greatly as we are not yet even in the same category, but someday, maybe, possibly…

Thanks in advance,

Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It's a good start, when you get the buttons working, it will be better. BTW, I got a 404 error when I tried the event schedule button.
You eventually could maybe add some links to other WBCCI sites when you get a little further along. Good luck with it!
Terry

Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Congratulations

A good start. Wish I could get more of our Region 9 units to put up websites. I taught a short course on websites last year at the Region 9 Rally and will repeat it at the 2005 Region 9 Rally. The idea is to get more unit websites up.

Some small hints.
1. It is best if the links on the home page, especially, are near the top of the screen and don't require scrolling the home page to navigate the site.
2. You should set the home page title to a more specific site name. Mine is "Region 9, WBCCI". It really helps navigate when multiple browser windows are open and will also appear as a Favorite.Bookmark title. Something like "WBCCI Unit xxx" would be a good title.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Very Colorful Web Site

Howdy Aluminauts!

Since I don’t have the faintest idea how a web site is created, I consider myself fully qualified to criticize someone else's handiwork!!

I like your web site. It already shows a lot of hard work. Where do you find the time? I wish every unit had a web site so we web surfers could find out what's going on in a specific area of the country while planning a trip. We're heading south over the Christmas holiday for our first shakedown cruise in our new Safari. If I knew where all the wild WBCCI Christmas parties were being held, I wouldn’t have to buy Christmas dinner!!! Also, knowing local contacts along the way would be handy in case we do something incredibly stupid and need some sage advice. Web sites are one way of finding fellow airstreamers.

I have one small request of EVERY WBCCI web designer. List an address of your unit’s headquarters -- maybe just the nearest city and state -- right at the top of the first page. Maybe you could include a map quest location map. I have no idea where home base is located for the various units in the WBCCI. I assume that you are in the green shaded part of your background map but that covers a lot of territory.

If you want ideas on how to improve your site, the best place I have ever found is http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com. That’s right, “webpagesthatsuck.com”! There is nothing better than seeing terrible web sites to help you to improve your web site. I work for the largest mega corporation in the universe and some of our internal web sites could be poster children for how NOT to create a site. Vincent Flanders’ advice is terrific and his bad examples are great.

Keep up the work! I think that it is truly appreciated by the airstreamer community.

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Managin' files

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminauts
Moments ago, I activated our WBCCI unit’s web site. www.wbcci-svova.org
IT IS TRULY UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
But, be that as it may, even at this early, early stage, I would still appreciate the comments of members of this forum.
Much content, style, and speed of loading will be improved over the next few weeks.
I especially would look for “how to” suggestions as my web maker capabilities are only about an hour older than the web site.
Comparisons to Shari Davis’ or John Irwin’s sites should be softened greatly as we are not yet even in the same category, but someday, maybe, possibly…
Thanks in advance,
aluminauts,
Congrats on taking the big step`!
One tip that worked for me some years ago when I first started to write my own website was to "create files" and, then store them in my own account.
One helpful hint that might still work for you..
Since you've created the "home-page" heading: http://www.wbcci-vova.org/index.htm ,
the following example works extremely well for keeping track of which page to link to or to return to as well..[list]1. http://www.wbcci-svova.org/index.htm
2. http://www.wbcci-svova.org/index1.htm
3. http://www.wbcci-svova.org/index2.htm
and so forth...
or you could try something like this:
1. http://www.wbcci-svova.org/index.htm
2. http://www.wbcci-svova.org/president.htm
3. http://www.wbcci-svova.org/membership.htm
and so forth....
PM if I can be of any help to your group.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHAST
Howdy Aluminauts!

I have one small request of EVERY WBCCI web designer. List an address of your unit’s headquarters -- maybe just the nearest city and state -- right at the top of the first page. Maybe you could include a map quest location map. I have no idea where home base is located for the various units in the WBCCI.
Good idea and something I can and will improve on our unit website. One trouble is that units have no "headquarters" and the membership span of some units here in Texas/Oklahoma covers more area than many eastern states. I tried to get around this by the
"clickable map" on our region website that shows the approximate center of activity for each unit. Clicking brings up a written description of the unit, its President and Membership Chairman, and its general area, but sadly to say, at least one third of our units have failed to provide me data to display. I intend to personally buttonhole every non-participating unit President at the midwinter IBT and the region rally next spring until I can get all to participate.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Map of WBCCI Units is FANTASTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Good idea and something I can and will improve on our unit website. One trouble is that units have no "headquarters" and the membership span of some units here in Texas/Oklahoma covers more area than many eastern states. I tried to get around this by the
"clickable map" on our region website that shows the approximate center of activity for each unit. Clicking brings up a written description of the unit, its President and Membership Chairman, and its general area, ...
John,

That WBCCI Region map on your Region 9 web site is aTERRIFIC idea! I can see the approximate location of every unit in the region at a single glance and can click a specific location for more info. Why don't you bottle this idea and spread it to the other regions.

One thing that gave me a little trouble was the 'clickable' unit locations on your map. Instead of clicking, I found that 'hovering' brought up the unit name in the left side box. Then I had to move into the box to click on the "click for info" spot - 2 separate actions!! I'm too lazy for that - I only want one click. (I told you it is easy to criticize when you have no clue of the amount of work involved!!!)

Worse yet, if I hovered over Houston to bring up the Texas Coastal Plains unit, by the time I had moved to the "click for info", I had accidentally hovered over the Alamo and ended up with the wrong unit. To get the Houston info, I had to hover by way of Corpus Christi to avoid passing over the Alamo!!!!! Does that make any sense??? How about one click shopping - click on Houston and up pops the Houston info.

Oh no, I can here you think! Another SMART A**S who hasn't got a clue! I do love the layout and the idea of the region map. I'm sure it took you an age and a day to create it. Keep up the good work!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Good feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHAST
John,
One thing that gave me a little trouble was the 'clickable' unit locations on your map. Instead of clicking, I found that 'hovering' brought up the unit name in the left side box. Then I had to move into the box to click on the "click for info" spot - 2 separate actions!! I'm too lazy for that - I only want one click. (I told you it is easy to criticize when you have no clue of the amount of work involved!!!)
Good idea, I had been thinking of changing it so that hovering the square shows the unit name and clicking the square brings up the unit info. I think that is probably more user friendly. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

Quote:
Oh no, I can here you think! Another SMART A**S who hasn't got a clue! I do love the layout and the idea of the region map. I'm sure it took you an age and a day to create it. Keep up the good work!
Not at all. I welcome feedback.

Actually not much time at all. I used PhotoShop to make the map from a screen print of my Microsoft Streets and Trips; that took about an hour, but I use the same map in 3 pages in the site (Units, Dealers, A/S parks). Placing the unit squares and writing the code probably took 2 hours. Once I programmed one unit, it was mostly copy and modify for the other units.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-08-2004, 11:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Done

I just finished redoing the unit map in response to the above suggestion. Took about 30 minutes and I think it works a lot better now.

Thanks for the suggestion, BOBHAST.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
bumping with new results

I have bumped this thread to enable those that made comments about our website construction to see the results of their inputs.
Our WBCCI unit website now has enhanced operation, STYLE, and is more viewer friendly because of all the comments.
See for yourself: www.wbcci-svova.org

The one specific request to identify our “home” location did go un-addressed since we are one of the many homeless WBCCI units. We only exist when we get together at rallies, caravans, or business meetings. And then that location becomes the “Home” for the unit.

I am hoping the web site will stay somewhat incremental in enhancements from now on, but I am still willing to entertain suggestions as to how to improve it.

ALL you prospective WBCCI members are more than welcome to try out our unit, come visit any of our events, or any of any unit that is closer to you. I’d bet you’d find a unit of WBCCI that could add to your overall Airstream adventure ( hope I can us the A word in a post; as long as I don’t try to make a decal from it ).

Again, thanks for your responses,
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
Old 01-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #11
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Nice job, Aluminauts. It has the information I'd want if I were interested in your unit.

In an html class that I had a few years ago our teacher told us that using frames was "passe" and instead a table should be used. However, I still think frames work on some webpages. Personally, I'd try removing the border for the frame. If you make the background color of the main frame blend with the left frame's background color it could work well without a border.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Mckinney , Texas
Website

I enjoyed your website. Since you asked for comments, these are mine:

Although I love the scrolling words over the background, the font/size and color made it difficult for me to read and I'm under 40!

Where the events were listed, I expected to click on them and go to another page with more info - not get an email link. Same with the officers, I thought I was going to a bio or intro where I would find an email link.

I clicked on the newsletter links but nothing happened. Also, I'd love to see those on the navigation bars.

Good work! I can't imagine how long it takes although I fantasize about setting one up for our Bambi.

Best of Luck,

Sharon
Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #13
_

. , .
content and speed rule. good websites evolve to less is more.

greetings

looked at the site; it's a great beginning. you should be thrilled with the birth of your new baby!!

i have watched many sites i use, live on or have been part of, for over 10 years. so here's my observation....

the background pictures are great and many page makers spend long hours on photos, back drops and so on....gradually as a site evolves the pics get simpler and simpler. it's just too hard to read through them, coordinate colors with text and so on. plus it slows down loading/viewing for many people.

content matters, layout matters and speed matters.

i love looking at airstream photos but not while getting to the content....if you want to add some links to your most creative bits just add a link to air art!!

cheers
Old 01-21-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Sharon, Thanks for your input, especially that you used your first post to do so.
I will be taking another pass at improving the clarity of our pages as well as add some more details about our unit.

I don’t know what failed for the newsletter links for you, they are links to pdf files and could also be downloaded by hovering over the links, then right mouse clicking, and by selecting “save target as…” They should be directed to your pc for viewing.

Learning to create and publish the website has been interesting and somewhat more challenging than I had expected, but that seems to be the way it always works out.

Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173