Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Four Winds Airstream MH passed at IBT

Thought you'd like to see part of a email from one of the WDCU members that has been at IBT. Thank you Carol for the info.

"The motion to put before the delegates to allow any Thor Four Winds Class A motorhome badged as a special Airstream edition into the club. Rationale said into the Airstream RV Owners Association, intentionally." It PASSED!!!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I find this unreal. Hummm. So if one of the Four Winds motorhomes from below shows up at our park asking for a WBCCI discount, should we tell them to stick it?

A couple of Four Winds Class As (see Four Winds International):

Ah, such beautiful rigs!

Lynn

Old 01-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I guess the thing is the people who buy those rigs are for all intents and purposes buying an Airstream. It's what the manufacturer who makes the ultimate decision has determined they are. So they are good people who are buying an Airstream in their minds and they are going to be extremely disappointed if other Airstrreamers treat them poorly. It's a tough call - they don't look like what we all understand an Airstream should look like, but they are legally Airstreams. Quite an interesting situation. Do you turn away enthusiastic campers who have bought into the Airstream dream and just happen to get one that doesn't fill our personal vision of what an Airstream is? I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make that determination.

It is disappointing though to see that the trend is going this way, but if this is what it takes for Thor to survive in an extremely competitive business ......

Barry
Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
If that's an Airstream then I'll bring this to international......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Further2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	31067  
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Certifiable

. , .
Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
I wanna have some fun, fellowship and adventure with you cowboy!
Old 01-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I guess the thing is the people who buy those rigs are for all intents and purposes buying an Airstream. It's what the manufacturer who makes the ultimate decision has determined they are. ...
Well... Not exactly.
From the late 1800's through the late 1900's, Schwinn made some very high quality bikes. In particular their Paramounts were as good as anything else made. Even their low end bikes were astonishingly durable.
The name "Schwinn" is now owned by Pacific Cycle (based in Wisconsin) and they source some so-so junk from the China Bike Corp and sell it at X-mart.

Is it a Schwinn? Legally, yes.
The same sort of thing happenned to Raleigh in the US in the early 1980's. The rights to use the name Raleigh were sold to (gag) Huffy and nevermore could you get a Nottingham-built proper English bicycle on these shores. Of course Raleigh itself eventually demolished their Nottingham facility and now sources bikes from China Bike Corp (and other places), although they lean toward higher quality than the modern Schwinns.

Just slapping a label on something, even though you may be legally entitled to do so, doesn't make it less of a farce.

Or as Python, Monte Pictures Ltd would have phrased it:
Quote:
DENNIS [addressing King Arthur]: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened [woman] had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
Old 01-20-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Why not?

Actually, you could rivet a misspelled label, say "ErrSteam" on it and tow a Bambi or something with it. Unhook the Bambi et Voila you're all set!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

They all look a like

To me, much like an SOB, all MH's look a like to me. I can't tell one from the other. In fact, I'll go as far to say, "They could stick one on the field in the "Prez" row without even the "Airstream badge" and I would never notice the difference". They just all look a like no matter what badge you put on it. For you WBCCI members, just get ready for the voting. I will be interested to see how votes they will get for the motion. I will say here and now, "It will be more than you think!" The MH owners, will start twisting the arms of their friends that still own trailers who would be moving into a MH in the next couple of years saying, "If you don't vote this in now, when you decide to get a MH, you won't be allowed in the club!" You just wait and see. As I tell my wife, "I may not always be right, but I'm seldom wrong".
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
It is disappointing though to see that the trend is going this way, but if this is what it takes for Thor to survive in an extremely competitive business ......

Barry
If you're saying that in order for Thor to survive in a competitive RV market they need to put the Airstream name on more of their motorhomes so that the buyers can join WBCCI, that just sounds like nonsense to me.

Thor is doing just fine, in fact they're ahead of other RV makers in the currently rising multi-billion dollar business. One of the reason they're ahead is because Airstream is still building it's classic trailer which appeals most to the up and coming younger, higher income, more highly educated group of RV buyers (from a recent survey done by Airstream.) Motorhome sales are lagging in comparison to travel trailer sales, not because they don't have the "Airstream" name on them but because the younger group doesn't need or want a gas-hogging motorhome and many of the older folks who might want one can't afford one. Putting the Airstream name onto a Thor motorhome doesn't benefit Thor, or WBCCI. It just dilutes the Airstream name and is a slap-in-the-face insult to the buyers and owners of the classic Airstream.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One more nail in the nearly sealed coffin......it never shocks me to the level of stupidity and self serving actions the current regime can do.

Best of luck to you all. I know that the majority that responded here on this forum didn't want this, and I'm thinking that it is reasonable to assume that a majority of the membership, to some degree also didn't want to see this happen. It's a sad day indeed for an Airstream only club allowing rebadged SOBs into "the club". I think Wally is turning in his grave right now......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Site Team

, Minnesota
This has very little to do with WBCCi, and alot to do with Thor deciding to slap the Airstream brand to other motorhomes.

Airstream proved that they weren't able to make a quality class A. Other Thor entities, like Four Winds, do make a profitable and quality MH. So Thor management wanted to close down the Airstream MH operation and give it to Four Winds. Survival of the fittest.

The Airstream name still has some pulling power, especially for the "trade-up" market. So, slap the Airstream name on a Four Winds Motorhome to capture that segment of the market.

Thor isn't going to make specially badged Airstream MHs just for the WBCCI leadership. They will sell them to anyone. The WBCCi is just along for the ride, a victim of a corporate decison to stop letting a trailer shop try to make and sell a bus.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
This has very little to do with WBCCi, and alot to do with Thor deciding to slap the Airstream brand to other motorhomes.
I'm really curious about this. When did Thor make this decision? I've only seen the WBCCI side it -- WBCCI leaders working with Airstream Co./Thor to make special badging for the club's benefit. Did Thor or Airstream make any announcements when they stopped making motorhomes that they would put their name on another brand?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
OK, but you better paint it silver first! Shouldn't take more than 5 of 6 cases of Krylon spray paint.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Well, I've read enough. All you nay-sayers, hand-wringers, and muck-rakers...

My wife said it best, "It used to be an elite club, now it's just not special anymore."

So its time for us all to put on our big girl panties and just deal with it.

Hear! Hear!