Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #85
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Another example

It occurred to me while I was pondering owning toys that I consider the top of the list in recognized icons.

As mentioned before, I have always owned AS's, I own HD's and I also own a Ranger Bass boat.
Ranger too has been recognized as the pioneer and leader in Bass fishing boats as long as I can remember.
Ranger was independantly owned by Forrest L Wood for about 30 years or more. Then came that time in a businees adventure that the almighty buck prevails and influences business decisions.
Ranger sold out to Brunswick Manufacturing, the same manufacturer who makes Bowling, Billiards etc. And they also make the "looked down upon" sea going craft, Bayliner. The Bayliner is recognized as the budget boat with no resale value.
Brunswick continued to watch production at Ranger and slowly but surely capitalized on their new asset, The "Ranger" name.
Brunswick then went on badge other types of boats, (Saltwater boats, Lake boats etc.) with the Ranger name. They have been successful at selling the implied quality of Ranger on other products not made by Ranger or at least at their Arkansas production facility. Just another example of "Call it your own".

I know the beef is allowing IBT memebers an exception to the rule. But the name game is and always will be a part of business.
Its just business, nothing personal........

Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The "Airstream Edition" will not be serviced by Airstream, and I doubt they will support it.....
Not only that, Airstream dealers will not be able to sell the rebadaged "Airstream" unless they become a Mandalay or Four Winds dealer.

When listening to the audio, I remember someone, a Region officer maybe?, expressing his concern that approving this proposal could put a stake in the heart of the Airstream factory at Jackson Center. I think its reasonable to expect this issue will have a significant ripple effect, some things not even anticipated.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #87
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
The blue beret worn by airstreamers has been a around longer than the airstream itself. Wally and his caravaners wore it to show the communities he visited the impact they made. Wally did not restrict his caravans to airstreams. Most of his people had other brands. Potential cuctomers. I think that was what Mr. Franklin was refering to. If you are going to embrace airstream, you can't pick and choose what to embrace. I beleive he was over-the-top on what he said, but that he feels that some traditions are worth saving. If you don't like flags and hats make a motion to abolish them and bring it before the board for a vote. Changes are being considered for the Blue Beret. I think we will have a letters-to-the-editor soon.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #88
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yea, well not everybody embraces the beret and the coats. But that is such a small issue. Nobody is REALLY required to wear them , are they? We for one love the Blue Berets and they could be popular in the club again if it were better shown the history of them and the "RANK" aspect of them were removed. It was what my wife and I felt when we first saw them.
The base membership sees them as just that, a sign of rank and the incoming demographic could care less about rank. In their eyes we are all equal. I don't think the leadership feel the same way.
No matter how Jim Franklin meant it I for one believe he owes the entire membership an apology.

And don't forget, the Blue Beret issue is small compared to the MOHO issue. It IS an AIRSTREAM club, not an Airstream and SOB club. And we have been repeatedly told that the rebadged SOB's will not be airstreams. If it ain't an Airstream it doesn't belong in an Airstream Club.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Berets and flags are cool

Hi Bob:

None of my WBCCI friends have any problem with wearing berets or flying flags, if we can get flags. We wear our blue berets at Unit meetings and at Vintage Rallies. We proudly fly our Ameican flags, but only wish we had an WBCCI approved VAC flag to fly, as do some units with respect to their unit flags which were submitted to IBT for approval this month but never even considered.

It's hard for me to understand why the IBT has not yet approved our VAC flag, which was designed and OK'd by Airstream's marketing department last spring. So I don't understand why the IBT cannot find time to approve it. Apparently they are still in negotiations with Airstream about rights to use the Airstream name and images. But that has been going on for a year now with no announced progress. I only wish the IBT had the same focus and intensity on approving intra-club and unit flags, and proposed unit charters, as they have on getting SOB motorhomes into the club.

Yes, Wally did take other brand travel trailers on his caravans before the WBCC was formed in 1955. It was club founders, not Wally, who limited club membership to owners of Airstream travel trailers. Today, buddy rallies give non-Airstream owners a chance to sample club events and see if they might like to join, so Wally's marketing idea lives on, albeit somewhat diminished with his "Byam Boulevard" SOB torture test no longer available.

Wally certainly was a distinctive dresser back in the day, but I don't recall ever seeing him in a gold, maroon or green blazer. Beret, absolutely. Bolo tie, yes .. along with cowboy boots early on. Jacket and tie while camping? Not too often, except perhaps when meeting heads of state and on his birthday.

I'm delighted to hear the Blue Beret is considering printing reader's letters. Renee Ettline is to be profusely thanked for her work as the club's Communications Laison. She provides a valuable direct link to leadership ears, and I was remiss not to mention her before and the great and timely job she is doing in delivering member ideas and messages to our leaders.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #90
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
The End!

Well all my good friends, it always seem to be that good things always come to a bad end. When and if I want to go camping and be surrounded by SOB's I go to an RV park. When I go camping and want to be surounded by trees and SOB's I go to a state camp ground. When I want to be surrounded by Silver tubular trailers occupied by friends and like minded people I go to a WBCCI Rally. When I want to wake up early and watch the sunrise against of canvas of silver, I go to a WBCCI Rally. When I want to stay up late and sit around a campfire and watch the glow shimmer back against a backdrop of polished aluminum, I go to a WBCCI Rally. You may notice that not once did I mention wanting to go to a WBCCI Rally and be engulfed in a valley of 13 foot tall walls of white, brown, gold and green not even being able to find my way back to my site. The only sliver of hope is that from now on I will only attend VAC Rallies because I know none of these Airstream wanta bes can go! Wally, I am so sorry your great club has fallen.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Renee Ettline is to be profusely thanked for her work as the club's Communications Laison. She provides a valuable direct link to leadership ears, and I was remiss not to mention her before and the great and timely job she is doing in delivering member ideas and messages to our leaders.
I agree. Thanks for your hard work Renee.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #92

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
When I want to stay up late and sit around a campfire and watch the glow shimmer back against a backdrop of polished aluminum, I go to a WBCCI Rally.
Only if you like to stay up late by yourself. When I want that, I go to a forum rally!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Only if you like to stay up late by yourself. When I want that, I go to a forum rally!
Not at our ECR rallies, but you should enjoy a ukelele band.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
The NEU is a big party crowd - we stay up late. Lots of fun is had by all.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #95

1968 17' Caravel
I think if I lived in New England, I would still be in the WBCCI (or whatever they're calling it these days)...

Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
I think if I lived in New England, I would still be in the WBCCI (or whatever they're calling it these days)...
Why don't you go ahead and join the New England Unit and start holding some rallies out there. Uberlanders are not too far away from you, they're NEU members. When Doug and I get out there to visit our relatives (in OR, ID, and MT) we'll join you. Pretty soon we'd have a whole NEU Pacific Northwest contingent.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #97

1968 17' Caravel
Hmm, sounds like one of those units that's trying to take over the country with their seductive ways!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Hmm, sounds like one of those units that's trying to take over the country with their seductive ways!
Hey, just doin' our part to bring all of Wally's lost lambs back home. Say didn't I read somewhere that Wally was once a shepherd out there in your parts? Isn't that where he came up with the whole Airstream/caravan idea?

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote