Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master
As someone that has been to three International Rally's (and would go again if they ever have it on the east coast)and the FSR three times (Met Rich L. at the first one when Airstream Life was still a concept) I found them both to be fun and boring all at the same time. It really depends on the folks of whom you were camping with and what you made of the time there. It's almost impossible to keep a rally fresh, exciting, etc... over 40-50 years! The folks that run the Aluma whatever can only hope for that long of a run. The sad part is the FSR, WBCCI, etc... missed the chance about 10 years ago when the vintage craze came along to expand the club to a whole new group of folks with new idea's to keep it fresh. With a kid in school now the Aluma... will be out of the picture unless they change the dates to the Spring Break time frame allowing families with kids to attend.

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
On reflection, I think he said that he hoped for 350.

Too much of the money and effort in the club is going to support this dinosaur of a rally. Airstream saw the handwriting on the wall when they quit sending the store to the rally.
Well, an eleven-day rally, where half the attendees are volunteers who arrive early, is an awfully big production for what is essentially a business meeting for the non-profit organization. In fact, a group of volunteers from one of the Units I belong to will be forming a caravan, to take five days just to get there, arrive early, and stay the whole time. Add in the time to return home, and that's a commitment of almost three weeks. I can't take off work for that long in one stretch, so I certainly won't be going. If I did consider attending, it would have to be my ONLY camping trip for the year (at least until I retire), and I'd even have to give up my annual family visit back to Oklahoma. Don't think my aged mom would like that!

If WBCCI wants to attract a younger demographic, big productions like the International aren't the way, since younger members are that much more likely to be working for a living, where their schedule is not their own to command.

The business meeting associated with the International could just as easily be conducted by teleconference, with attendance over Skype or something for those with the computer savvy, and by phone for those without. A teleconference would also avoid all of the antiquated pomp and circumstance so near and dear to the club old-timers and so not-so-near-and-dear to us new-timers. Hold the rally by all means, but no need to mix business and pleasure. Make it JUST a rally.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Nice Job

Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
This is an interesting thread. Let me clear up a few questions regarding the new Alumaflamingo event in Sarasota, since I'm one of the organizers.

We should be clear that Alumaflamingo is not the Florida State Rally. The FSR is gone, permanently. The Board of Governors voted to dissolve—for good reasons—and we were asked to consider building a new event to take its place, which we are doing.
Well said................... and going to be fun..... now.............
I'm NOT an old man.............
54 Flying Cloud
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Well said................... and going to be fun..... now.............

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote