Old 03-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We attended the FSR this year. It was our "FIRST" rally and I must add definitely a positive experience. I'm sorry that the rally will be turned over to a for profit organization but I guess that's the evolution of such things these days. I think we will plan to attend next year and see how the changes affect whether we will attend in the future. I do have one question. Where did they all go ???? They tell me that there were 350 Airstreams there. We saw only a couple on the road from New Jersey to Florida. We did see 3 other AS at a campground in St. Augustine and perhaps one or two of them were enroute to the rally. We stayed in Florida for a couple of weeks after the rally and hardly saw any AS the whole time. SO, where did they all go. Were they beamed in and out by some alien power ????? You got me.

But, to all of you that organized, ran the show and supported all the effort that go into putting on such an endeavor, THANK YOU. I think it was very nicely done. Now if Mother Nature had been more cooperative ........

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
We are signed up for the rally. It may cost a bit more than the FSR, but our experience at several Alumapaloozas and a Alumafiesta convince us that the money is well spent for a better run rally with more to do while we are there.

We just came from the Region 9 rally at Robstown, TX. The meals and entertainment were OK, but I marked the items in the schedule that I wanted to attend and there were very few items of any interest. Had it not been for happy hours put together by our unit, we would have mostly sat around for a week.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I do have one question. Where did they all go ???? They tell me that there were 350 Airstreams there. We saw only a couple on the road from New Jersey to Florida. We did see 3 other AS at a campground in St. Augustine and perhaps one or two of them were enroute to the rally. We stayed in Florida for a couple of weeks after the rally and hardly saw any AS the whole time. SO, where did they all go. Were they beamed in and out by some alien power ????? You got me.
Just to answer your question. . . "where did they all go". . . .

Travelers Rest Airstream Park Travelers Rest Resort - Home Page

Paradise Park Airstream Park Paradise Park Condominium Association Welcomes You To PPCA.US!

Land Yacht Harbor Airstream Park landyachtharbormelbourne.index

and others. . .

One of the reasons for the large turnout at the Florida State Rally is that there are thousands of Airstreams moored in Florida that time of year!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstreams are a rare breed. They are less than 5% of the RV's out there. Only about 60,000 of them exist in the whole world. Only 10% of those have the big red numbers. The retired Airstream owners do like to avoid the cold, so you can see more of them in the southern climates this time of year. I am sure Rich will do a good job of keeping the tradition of holding a great rally at Sarasota next year. "A new broom sweeps clean", so I am sure there will be some changes that will be more in line with younger desires.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
We just came from the Region 9 rally at Robstown, TX. The meals and entertainment were OK, but I marked the items in the schedule that I wanted to attend and there were very few items of any interest. Had it not been for happy hours put together by our unit, we would have mostly sat around for a week.[/QUOTE]

Wow Pahaska,
we just came from Robstown too...and must not have attended the same Rally. We had an outstanding week. Fantastic entertainment, The Alley Cats from California, Terry Edwards Elvis Act and Chris Ryback with an outstanding Accordian...even dancing...

And, the food was fantastic, three great breakfasts and two formal dinners with hand prepared food from the chef that runs the Robstown Activity Center..cloth napkins, tablecloths, real silverware... not to mention the pies an cobblers!!!!

We were busy all week with games, contests seeing old friends and taking care of Region 9 business...oh, and we had great Happy Hours, too...even in the windy city...saw some great sites around Robstown and the area...attended a festival for a charity fund raiser for a local church and yes we even had our own church services on the closing day... Linda Knezek, Region 9 President and all her officers and chairmen of events did an oustanding job!

Our Unit had a great time visiting with all other units...Just sayin...

Rockwell
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rockwell,

I agree on the Alley Cats, we saw them at the Mid Winter in Blythe, they were fantastic. Probably where Linda got the idea.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
We just came from the Region 9 rally at Robstown, TX. The meals and entertainment were OK, but I marked the items in the schedule that I wanted to attend and there were very few items of any interest. Had it not been for happy hours put together by our unit, we would have mostly sat around for a week.
Wow Pahaska,
we just came from Robstown too...and must not have attended the same Rally. We had an outstanding week. Fantastic entertainment, The Alley Cats from California, Terry Edwards Elvis Act and Chris Ryback with an outstanding Accordian...even dancing...

And, the food was fantastic, three great breakfasts and two formal dinners with hand prepared food from the chef that runs the Robstown Activity Center..cloth napkins, tablecloths, real silverware... not to mention the pies an cobblers!!!!

We were busy all week with games, contests seeing old friends and taking care of Region 9 business...oh, and we had great Happy Hours, too...even in the windy city...saw some great sites around Robstown and the area...attended a festival for a charity fund raiser for a local church and yes we even had our own church services on the closing day... Linda Knezek, Region 9 President and all her officers and chairmen of events did an oustanding job!

Our Unit had a great time visiting with all other units...Just sayin...

Rockwell[/QUOTE]
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We have attended the FSR for many years. While we will watch the development of Alumaflamingo, we are not planning on attending next year.

First the cost is too high. We have to see something really outstanding to consider any rally exceeding $50. a day

Secondly it is no longer an Airstream rally.

It is not clear at this point if there will be vintage parking. If there is not it is definitely off the table for us just for that reason..

Also up in the air but not known for sure is whether the friends we have locally could visit us at the rally with out paying a daily fee?

We have already given up the International when the cost went from $300. to $500 for hookups we did not want.

I think Vic Smith did an outstanding job this year and that ANY increase in attendance was an accomplishment.

I am afraid what we are seeing may be the final death spasms of the WBCCI as the International attendance declines to the point of making that rally no longer viable ( 50% drop in 3 years).

WE are trying to expand our activities into other areas to fill the void left by the FSR. Probably next year we will attend the TCT rally and the Florida Flywheelers.

There is no doubt the decisions that were made were necessary and most of what I have heard about R&B rallies has been positive. I am just not convinced it is what suits our needs
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Also up in the air but not known for sure is whether the friends we have locally could visit us at the rally with out paying a daily fee?
I can't tell you about Alumaflamingo, but I know that you can visit friends at Alumapalooza without paying any fee. We only live 60 miles from Jackson Center and went up to last year's rally to meet some out of town friends. Rally ID is only needed for things like meals and nighttime entertainment.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I am afraid what we are seeing may be the final death spasms of the WBCCI as the International attendance declines to the point of making that rally no longer viable ( 50% drop in 3 years).
You make it sound as if the International is the entire reason why WBCCI exists. If WBCCI only exists to hold the International, and will die without the International, then the organization would deserve to die. Fortunately, I believe that WBCCI is about more than just holding the International rally.

But the International is another topic for another thread.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
This is an interesting thread. Let me clear up a few questions regarding the new Alumaflamingo event in Sarasota, since I'm one of the organizers.

We should be clear that Alumaflamingo is not the Florida State Rally. The FSR is gone, permanently. The Board of Governors voted to dissolve—for good reasons—and we were asked to consider building a new event to take its place, which we are doing.

I'll be frank with you: it's a lot of work and we have no assurance at this point that we won't lose our shirts financially. But if we hadn't stepped up, there would be no major Airstream-oriented rally to replace FSR in 2014. So we are hoping enough members of the Airstream community find our offering worthwhile.

Alumaflamingo is not a WBCCI event, although the Region 3 officers and others will have meeting space and still be able to conduct some of their official activities on site as a sort of "overlay" to Alumaflamingo. They can even publish their own event schedule for members or officers, if they like.
We're doing everything we can to make sure that club members and non club members alike feel welcome.

The cost is higher than FSR, mainly because we're going to do more. You only have to look at any prior Alumapalooza (or Alumafiesta, or Alumafandango) program to see that we really make an effort to pack every day with fun stuff to do, for all ages. The food will be upgraded, along with entertainment and activities. We'll have more seminars, demonstrations, and off-site tours. This is all in response to requests from prior attendees.

30-amp power will be available but we're keeping it as an upgrade so that you don't have to pay for it if you don't want it.

Vintage parking will likely be formally set aside for those who want it, but we're still in the planning stages so I don't have details about that yet. In any case, we're not rigid about parking and if you arrive with friends it's a simple matter to be parked with them.

Yes, friends from the local area can visit at no charge. You only have to pay admission if you want to enter the buildings during events, eat the meals, or attend the programs & entertainment. Dropping in and taking a look is always free, just like it was at FSR and all of our other events.

And yes, we do welcome any brand of trailer, and we always have. We do this because we figure if anyone wants to come to an Airstream-centric event, they probably are considering buying an Airstream or are attending with friends who own an Airstream. These people are future members of our community, so we think it's a good idea to let them know they are very welcome. WBCCI has also come to this realization, so there are more "buddy rallies" than ever before.

Let's put that into perspective: At Alumapalooza, we usually get about 4-5 "white boxes" attending, out of about 200 trailers. So the event is literally 98% Airstream. I would say that it still qualifies as an "Airstream event", and we expect that the same will hold true in Sarasota at Alumaflamingo.

Finally, we think the WBCCI will continue as a viable club even if some major events are organized by third parties. The club represents the history of Airstream, many of the most enthusiastic and supportive owners, and it remains an important means for Airstreamers to meet in person, travel together, and share experiences.

As Protagonist pointed out, the club is not solely about the International (or the FSR or any other event). Outsourcing or altering some activities in only a sign of changing times, and adaptation is inevitable for organizations that want to thrive. By launching Alumaflamingo, we're hoping to be part of the solution. In other words, we regard WBCCI as a partner and are looking forward to working with our friends in the club for many years to come.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
Does anyone have any figures on the projected attendance at the 2013 International?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Does anyone have any figures on the projected attendance at the 2013 International?
The International President was at the R9 rally a couple of weeks ago. I think he said the rig count was approaching 350.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
On March 14 I was told by an EC member that there were 290 rigs registered for International.

I hope 350 is more accurate.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraubear View Post
On March 14 I was told by an EC member that there were 290 rigs registered for International.

I hope 350 is more accurate.
On reflection, I think he said that he hoped for 350.

Too much of the money and effort in the club is going to support this dinosaur of a rally. Airstream saw the handwriting on the wall when they quit sending the store to the rally.

WBCCI #9632