Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Family & Youth-What does that mean? Need the INFO!

I am looking for feedback from everyone!

What does the Family & Youth Liason do? I've never seen a job description Or even a suggestion in the WBCCI Idea Book or WBCCI.

What have you observed in the past? I've heard some real horror stories regarding programs that were viewed as baby sitting service.

I'm especially interested in what made the Great Pumpkin Harvest Moon Rally special for you? Why do you think it worked? What didn't work so well for you?

Robin
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch

What does the Family & Youth Liason do? I've never seen a job description Or even a suggestion in the WBCCI Idea Book or WBCCI.
After having the job last year in NEU, I'm not sure I quite figured it out. But I'd be interested in seeing how it's described in other units/regions around WBCCI.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Having a lot more youths in attendance, seems like this job will become more important and challenging. Is there a liason for the other, how do I say this being PC, experienced folks? We could start a whole new thread on this and get a lot of mileage out of it, tongue in cheek of course.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
After having the job last year in NEU, I'm not sure I quite figured it out. But I'd be interested in seeing how it's described in other units/regions around WBCCI.

-J

YOU,may be the trend setter Jamie

By the way,a little late but congrats on your 500th post

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The Blue Book doesn't really mention "Family & Youth Liaison"...but they do mention Family & Youth as a Standing Committee. I guess liaison could be a fancy name for the committee chairperson.

Anyway, here's what it says:
Quote:
To develop an effective continuing program and structure to encourage Family/Youth participation in Unit, Region, International and Caravan functions; to ensure that regular Family/Youth columns appear in the Blue Beret, and Region and Unit bulletins; to provide liaison with other Standing Committees and to consider and develop ways and means of implementing new Family/Youth programs.
Blue Book - By-Laws & Policy - Article III Committees
Back to your original question...what does that mean!?

As one without kids, I have no idea!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Shari,

Apparently we are all having trouble with this. When I was camping with my family as a child I didn't need anything more than other kids to play with. I go to campgrounds and I see other people with their kids and they don't seem to require much more than being with their parents in a place other than their own back yard. The campground offers a place for them to explore, playgrounds etc. So what's this "structure" we need to create?

If we pick a rally site that has a pool, playground, or something close by that kids and parents would like to visit or see what more do we need?

I'm wondering if we have reached the great divide with the club where the young are looking for the on site pool and playground, and the older generation wants to park in the middle of a field with nothing to do or see in the area. I know it's not that cut and dry but I think you know what I'm getting at.

I think Rich Luhr said it best. We seem to think of adding something for the kids to do as an after thought. Youth Programs more often than not turn into something separate and individualized rather than simplly integrating the kids into the activites. We seem to split off families by creating "activities" that means mom's goes to the crafts with the kids and dad's go with the "guys" to the technical seminars. Not much of a family outing.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I would say you ARE the liason that provided us the activities that brought the families, adults and younp people together. I asked Ben what was special to him and he said the baked apples....When we arrived at 8:30 we were tired and hungry...We went straight to the campfire and Ben got his baked apple out of the fire. He was able to sit with the other kids and catch up. It was a great way to start off the weekend. You guys simply provided what worked for families. The pumpkin carving also was great..we had adults and kids all carving together and laughing and being amused at each others creativity. This is the kind of simple stuff that makes it work. Kids don't need all big and fancy to feel included and have a great time.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Thanks Ann, I think there were several important pieces that made that rally a sucess for people with kids. After receiving many many lovely postive comments I think I have the beginnings of a sucessful formula. People have been very generous with their praise and comments. I continue to received cards, e-mails, thanking us for the rally.

Many many people felt welcomed by the on going warm chilli and bread. Your right, you get out of work and struggle to get to the campground ASAP. I have missed many a happy hour or meal. If there is no campfire your fun doesn't begin until the next morning.

"Keeping the Pot On" is like "keeping the porch light on for ya" it sends a message. We are here waiting for you and the fun isn't complete until you get here. it sets a tone that starts the rally off right. By the way I hope you guys came to the kitchen for chili.

The second thing Is what I believe is missing at some larger functions (Region and International) INTEGRATION. Activities that are ageless and include everyone. There was no need to separate the kids from the parents to provide something fun. Look for ageless activities that everyone can enjoy. I bring no children and I had a blast. i have often thought that the kids should be the ones carrying the flags at opening ceremonies. Charter Oak included them one year and I think that is a positive intergrative step in the right direction.

I'm trying to share the recipe for the sucess of that rally. i thank everyone for their help and participation. It takes a great group to have a great rally.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
(..) When I was camping with my family as a child I didn't need anything more than other kids to play with. (..)

If we pick a rally site that has a pool, playground, or something close by that kids and parents would like to visit or see what more do we need?

I'm wondering if we have reached the great divide with the club where the young are looking for the on site pool and playground, and the older generation wants to park in the middle of a field with nothing to do or see in the area. I know it's not that cut and dry but I think you know what I'm getting at.

(..) We seem to split off families by creating "activities" that means mom's goes to the crafts with the kids and dad's go with the "guys" to the technical seminars. Not much of a family outing.
We have young children, joining WBCCI just this year as MAL. For next year we have joined a Unit. Our main concerns were, of course, a great and friendly bunch of adults and one or more families so our kids would have someone to play with. Pools and playgrounds are nice but not required every weekend that we go out. Camping in a field? Cool! Just let us know so we can bring kites and remote control toys. Someplace with little traffic? Cool! We'll pack their bikes and sidwalk chalk and sidewalk paint. A pond...fishing poles. If there is there a water spigot...bring a couple bags of balloons. How about some "bug barns" and a colorful book that identifies bugs. Frankly, mom and dad's needs are the same as the kids...they want to play with kids and mom and dad just want to hang out with other adults of any age. People don't do that anymore. Nobody sits out on their front porch anymore. They hide in the house or run their heads off going to soccer practice and dance lessons. We don't need seminars, we are happy to have nice people to socialize with. We just want to camp with you and our kids want other kids to play with.

We went to a youth rally with lots and lots of games and prizes and the kids did have a great time. It's an awesome thing to do once a year but don't feel like you should go all out all the time. It is important that they learn how to fill their time. We just want to camp and our kids just want to play...especially with other kids. You want to entertain them? Get other families with kids to join and let things happen.
That is the absolute best thing you could do for us.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
We have young children, joining WBCCI just this year as MAL. For next year we have joined a Unit. Our main concerns were, of course, a great and friendly bunch of adults and one or more families so our kids would have someone to play with. Pools and playgrounds are nice but not required every weekend that we go out. Camping in a field? Cool! Just let us know so we can bring kites and remote control toys. Someplace with little traffic? Cool! We'll pack their bikes and sidwalk chalk and sidewalk paint. A pond...fishing poles. If there is there a water spigot...bring a couple bags of balloons. How about some "bug barns" and a colorful book that identifies bugs. Frankly, mom and dad's needs are the same as the kids...they want to play with kids and mom and dad just want to hang out with other adults of any age. People don't do that anymore. Nobody sits out on their front porch anymore. They hide in the house or run their heads off going to soccer practice and dance lessons. We don't need seminars, we are happy to have nice people to socialize with. We just want to camp with you and our kids want other kids to play with.

We went to a youth rally with lots and lots of games and prizes and the kids did have a great time. It's an awesome thing to do once a year but don't feel like you should go all out all the time. It is important that they learn how to fill their time. We just want to camp and our kids just want to play...especially with other kids. You want to entertain them? Get other families with kids to join and let things happen.
That is the absolute best thing you could do for us.

You have hit the nail on the head . If you bring all the baggage with you ( structure ) , what's the point of camping . We have raised four and are now working on Grandchildren . I have watched a puddle become an entertainment center for hours at a time . Kids are very resourcefull , they just need to feel part of things and not just tagalongs . Part of what makes camping exiting for us is being able to bend the every day rules just enough that you feel you're getting away with something .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Redshed, Ticki2, rgesch -- You've described exactly what we were hoping for in WBCCI rallies. We don't expect anyone to provide anything special for us, just an atmosphere where the kids are welcome, and where the parents and children can enjoy the rally together. Families know what they like to do and they bring their own kids entertainment, or make plans to do things together in the area where the rally is taking place. On the other hand, problems will arise if you set up a rally without considering the differences between camping with kids vs. camping with adults, or if you assume that the families will just take care of themselves in any case. If your rally is directed mostly to adult attendees, then just setting aside kids activities while the adults do their thing isn't going to work because either the kids will want to hang tight with the parents and be bored stiff (or annoying to other adults around them), or the parents will want to spend time with their kids and miss out on the adult activities.

Youth rallies are a little different in that they're a special rally where the first thought is for kids rather than adults. So in the case of the Great Pumpkin/Harvest Moon Rally the adults were the afterthought. But even at a youth rally, adults outnumber the kids 3:1, so we were still challenged to find something for both kids and adults and in this case we had success with all ages even though it was aimed at the kids. Some of the successes (the bottomless soup-pot and campfire dessert on arrival; the open time on Saturday for families to get settled and spend time together; holding the rally at a family-friendly campground) were all things that could be incorporated into every rally to help families and working couples who just want to get away and relax with familiy and friends for the weekend.

The description that Shari found looks like it is for the topmost level of WBCCI. It doesn't seem to apply to the unit so much. I'm still wondering if there is a unit or region Family/Youth chair/committee/advisor/liaison/whatever description anywhere. I also noticed that the description in the Blue Book hasn't been updated in a very, very long time.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Thanks for the feedback ALL! I agree kids do not need much they just need to be considered. Happy hours mean nothing to kids, I always felt it cut into my time as they occur at 4:30. Too early for me to race back to the campground to participate in. Campfires tend to have adult talk if other kids aren't availble. The guitar players have changed that. I think we are coming along at the unit level.

Region One's are not kid friendly. It's not that people don't try, they try VERY hard to give kids something BUT it is separate from what adults are doing rather than looking at what they can be INTEGRATED into.

I don't think we have anyone at the Region Level. I was asked to be Community Lianson for Region but never Youth. Once again shows you where the priorities of this club lies.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:

I don't think we have anyone at the Region Level. I was asked to be Community Lianson for Region but never Youth. Once again shows you where the priorities of this club lies.

Have you expressed these concerns to Renee?Things CAN change if enough people express their ideas.As a Community Liaison you have an almost direct link to the top.

It seems if things are going to change,it's most likely going to happen IN Region 1.Your recent rally and your organizing groups hard work have shown it can be done.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Mike,

I think the reason it's happening in our area is because we are "just doing it". I put this out on the thread to share to see if anyone else will benefit from the "paradigm shift". I'm very aware of the problems in other Region and other Units as I ask. I talk to everybody...

I left the White Mountains Unit because I was banging my head against the wall and unable to get more than a few to change their thinking on ANYTHING. The this is the way it's always been done...traditionally we always....well look around your membership is leaving because you insist upon doing it that way. Your way is not working.

This implementation of new ideas MUST have to happen at the Unit level. The only people who know what the Unit needs or wants is the Unit.

The other piece is just something I observed.

I understand what families with children are looking for because I make it my business to ask, and act upon what I hear. Now I'm just sharing with those who might want to hear the meassage. The information is all their you just have to be open to it.

The threads are like doing reasearch pick out common themes and act on them.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Hi Mike,

I think the reason it's happening in our area is because we are "just doing it". I put this out on the thread to share to see if anyone else will benefit from the "paradigm shift". I'm very aware of the problems in other Region and other Units as I ask. I talk to everybody...

Hi Robin,You are fortunate you are in a progressive unit.You are also fortunate you have enough members with children that you can implement some of your childrens activities.It is not this way in many units.

We both know the reasons why the NEU is making a comeback and its success is in part due to the hard work,dedication and effort yourself,Jamie,Michelle and many others put in.

It will be helpful for other units down the road to know that there is a successful model to follow with people who have been there and done that.

Kudos and my hat's off to you.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
We both know the reasons why the NEU is making a comeback and its success is in part due to the hard work,dedication and effort yourself,Jamie,Michelle and many others put in.
Thanks Mike - and you are correct about the "many others" in the New England Unit who working to improve the WBCCI member experience.

The level of volunteerism in our unit is amazing - and we in the NEU are lucky that there were a handful of progressive thinking members who had joined before us who laid the foundation for the fundamental changes that have taken place in our club. Us "newbies" are riding the wave of success because of their efforts.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Quote:

I'm especially interested in what made the Great Pumpkin Harvest Moon Rally special for you? Why do you think it worked? What didn't work so well for you?

Robin

We found this weekend to be one of our favorite camping weekends of the season and these are some of the reasons why:
  1. The hosts provided information on area events and attractions that would interest singles, couples, and families before the event itself
  2. They located and arranged for a large group to attend a special local event (in this case it was a Hay Ride)
  3. They coordinated an extra event for all to participate in - not age specific (pumpkin carving)
  4. The shared menus welcomed Children's Favorites
  5. Arrival night's Chili Pot and Baked Apples brought everyone together right from the start of the weekend - very welcoming and thoughtful after a long drive
  6. The "love of the child" was clearly present in the planning and it was for the child in all of us, not just those under 18
There was nothing that didn't work well for us because it really is about the people we were with and they were all AWESOME!
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
It is great to see all of this interest in continuing to make WBCCI more family oriented.

Several Points:

1. Linda Amme is the WBCCI Family and Youth Standing Committee Chair. The only "Liaison" title I'm aware of in WBCCI is the Communications Liaison. Most main areas of WBCCI have Standing Committee Chairmen.

2. The WBCCI Blue Book suggests the following for Units in the Suggested Model for Unit By-laws:

Family/Youth Plan programs to encourage participation of family &/youth at unit functions and to be the liaison person between the Unit and International Family/Youth Standing Committee. (1/21/94)

That is not too specific, but each local Unit submits their own constitution and by-laws so check with your local unit by-laws to see if there is anything about Family and Youth. Some Regions also have by-laws which would specify the responsibilities of the Region Chairmen.

3. As suggested in this thread, the club's real success in attracting families and youth happens at the local Unit level since that is where most people interact with the club.

4. The greatest success I've seen is consistent with the comments in this thread and comes when ageless, intergenerational activities are incorporated into a rally.

5. Take the Blue Beret to a rally and get members of your Unit to discuss the ideas suggested in the Member Idea Share Column as well as those offered on this thread. It may prompt some ideas that can be implemented locally.

6. THE NOVEMBER BLUE BERET MEMBER IDEA SHARE COLUMN WILL FEATURE THE VERY SUCCESSFUL REGION 1 RALLY AND OUTLINE SOME OF THEIR TECHNIQUES FOR ATTRACTING AND SERVING FAMILIES. Be sure to read it!

7. Keep up the good work sharing "recipies for success" with each other.

8. Check out www.wbcci.youth.com The site is a work in progress, but worth knowing about.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If Units can attract and hold adults who have kids at home (young enough to still be bossed around by their parents), the kids will come along! That means having structure, purpose and activities that have value to that generation. The rest will take care of itself.

The first principle of marketing is having a marketable product.... but then, we always knew that?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
If Units can attract and hold adults who have kids at home (young enough to still be bossed around by their parents), the kids will come along! That means having structure, purpose and activities that have value to that generation. The rest will take care of itself.

The first principle of marketing is having a marketable product.... but then, we always knew that?
Good point Janet!
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote