Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Hi Mike,

I think the reason it's happening in our area is because we are "just doing it". I put this out on the thread to share to see if anyone else will benefit from the "paradigm shift". I'm very aware of the problems in other Region and other Units as I ask. I talk to everybody...

Hi Robin,You are fortunate you are in a progressive unit.You are also fortunate you have enough members with children that you can implement some of your childrens activities.It is not this way in many units.

We both know the reasons why the NEU is making a comeback and its success is in part due to the hard work,dedication and effort yourself,Jamie,Michelle and many others put in.

It will be helpful for other units down the road to know that there is a successful model to follow with people who have been there and done that.

Kudos and my hat's off to you.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
We both know the reasons why the NEU is making a comeback and its success is in part due to the hard work,dedication and effort yourself,Jamie,Michelle and many others put in.
Thanks Mike - and you are correct about the "many others" in the New England Unit who working to improve the WBCCI member experience.

The level of volunteerism in our unit is amazing - and we in the NEU are lucky that there were a handful of progressive thinking members who had joined before us who laid the foundation for the fundamental changes that have taken place in our club. Us "newbies" are riding the wave of success because of their efforts.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Rochester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
I am looking for feedback from everyone!

I'm especially interested in what made the Great Pumpkin Harvest Moon Rally special for you? Why do you think it worked? What didn't work so well for you?

Robin

We found this weekend to be one of our favorite camping weekends of the season and these are some of the reasons why:
  1. The hosts provided information on area events and attractions that would interest singles, couples, and families before the event itself
  2. They located and arranged for a large group to attend a special local event (in this case it was a Hay Ride)
  3. They coordinated an extra event for all to participate in - not age specific (pumpkin carving)
  4. The shared menus welcomed Children's Favorites
  5. Arrival night's Chili Pot and Baked Apples brought everyone together right from the start of the weekend - very welcoming and thoughtful after a long drive
  6. The "love of the child" was clearly present in the planning and it was for the child in all of us, not just those under 18
There was nothing that didn't work well for us because it really is about the people we were with and they were all AWESOME!
WBCCI # 5971
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
It is great to see all of this interest in continuing to make WBCCI more family oriented.

Several Points:

1. Linda Amme is the WBCCI Family and Youth Standing Committee Chair. The only "Liaison" title I'm aware of in WBCCI is the Communications Liaison. Most main areas of WBCCI have Standing Committee Chairmen.

2. The WBCCI Blue Book suggests the following for Units in the Suggested Model for Unit By-laws:

Family/Youth Plan programs to encourage participation of family &/youth at unit functions and to be the liaison person between the Unit and International Family/Youth Standing Committee. (1/21/94)

That is not too specific, but each local Unit submits their own constitution and by-laws so check with your local unit by-laws to see if there is anything about Family and Youth. Some Regions also have by-laws which would specify the responsibilities of the Region Chairmen.

3. As suggested in this thread, the club's real success in attracting families and youth happens at the local Unit level since that is where most people interact with the club.

4. The greatest success I've seen is consistent with the comments in this thread and comes when ageless, intergenerational activities are incorporated into a rally.

5. Take the Blue Beret to a rally and get members of your Unit to discuss the ideas suggested in the Member Idea Share Column as well as those offered on this thread. It may prompt some ideas that can be implemented locally.

6. THE NOVEMBER BLUE BERET MEMBER IDEA SHARE COLUMN WILL FEATURE THE VERY SUCCESSFUL REGION 1 RALLY AND OUTLINE SOME OF THEIR TECHNIQUES FOR ATTRACTING AND SERVING FAMILIES. Be sure to read it!

7. Keep up the good work sharing "recipies for success" with each other.

8. Check out www.wbcci.youth.com The site is a work in progress, but worth knowing about.

Renee Ettline
WBCCI Communications Liaison
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
If Units can attract and hold adults who have kids at home (young enough to still be bossed around by their parents), the kids will come along! That means having structure, purpose and activities that have value to that generation. The rest will take care of itself.

The first principle of marketing is having a marketable product.... but then, we always knew that?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
If Units can attract and hold adults who have kids at home (young enough to still be bossed around by their parents), the kids will come along! That means having structure, purpose and activities that have value to that generation. The rest will take care of itself.

The first principle of marketing is having a marketable product.... but then, we always knew that?
Good point Janet!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I think all of this is true and so when people choose to go with a Unit outside their geogrpahic area who are without children they might want to consider that as the reason rather than making the asumption that they are being "solicited".

I always looked at the WBCCI to be a seamless club. Who cares what unit you belong to. Find the fun where ever and with who you please. I've probably attended more rally's hosted by other Units than my home unit.

Just want to clear up any confusion on this note.