Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Families with young children in WBCCI?

I'm wondering how many families with young children are in WBCCI? We have a 2 1/2 year old and I'm interested in the WBCCI but I would really like to know if there will be activities geared towards younger members.

Perhaps share your experiences with the local unit or any other thoughts?
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I can't speak for the whole of WBCCI. I can't even speak for everyone in my Unit. But I know that WBCCI has a "Family and Youth" standing committee, whose brief is, in part, to ensure that WBCCI events include family-friendly activities. And on the local level, once you join, you'll be able to ask event organizers to include family-friendly activities; they may turn around and ask you to volunteer to design those activities, though.

Don't let a relative lack of WBCCI members with young children scare you off. Don't let yourself be trapped by the the circular argument that "People with children don't join because there aren't enough members with children." If you join, there will be one more family in WBCCI with kids than we had before, and the next family with young children will be that much more willing to join.

Besides, there are plenty of members who have young grandchildren, who are every bit as interested as you are in developing more family-friendly activities at WBCCI events.

As long as the kids don't chew on the shore power cables while teething, I'm sure they'll be welcome at just about any WBCCI event, any time, anywhere.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
My 5 yo daughter goes with me to every event/ rally. Sometimes there will be other kids, sometimes not, but we always have a great time. I think we are the youngest in our unit by at least 3 decades, but we always have fun everytime we go camping! We always meet great people.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks - I'll check out the local unit to see what activities they have. I like the concept of the WBCCI so I hope it works out.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

We have folks join us out of Ontario all the time at WDCU rallies and there are always a bunch of kids there to play with.

Enjoy,
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Kids at the Internationals

We took our 10 year old grandson with us to Madison. There were 71 kids in the youth program that year. Robert thought it was great and begged to go again.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
During the times that we have families with children they seem to have a great time. The children fit in with no problems. Visit with some of the old members and let them tell you of the early days of Airstreaming. No a/c, or bathroom. They raised their in those Airstreams and enjoyed every minute of it. I realize that during the early years there were no soccer games, baseball, football, etc in competition with camping. Most Units are ripe for young families to join them and become involved within the Unit. We need you, the young, to carry the torch when we get to that stage in life when we can no longer get our with our trailers.

Join a Unit and enjoy the conversations of people who have traveled the Alaskan Highway before it was paved. It's real cool.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks - it looks like we're going to join and see how we get on.

Cheers