Old 09-27-2015, 04:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The "gentleman" created enough of a stink that he got booted off that facebook group.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, fun is over. Poser kicked out and thread deleted.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Any idea what the number may represent? Does not look like a birth date and clearly is not his IQ.

He went to great detail to produce the Club decal but went amateurish is the execution of the numbers.

I may have to join Facebook just to follow this saga.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It is all over, he was banned from Airstream Crazies and his Facebook page is also gone. He was just a nut trolling for attention.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It is all over, he was banned from Airstream Crazies and his Facebook page is also gone. He was just a nut trolling for attention.
But his trailer is still out there, and will NOT make him very many friends anywhere that he takes it camping— at least not among WBCCI members.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Anyone who has bought a used AS with the numbers on it is doing the same thing, no? It's all intent, I guess. Jim, towing a fake AS.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Agree, he is from SC. I invited him to attend an official club rally. That was about the time he said he was going to have everyone arrested for making death threats and bullying. He kept posting links to WBCCI.com a construction engineering company. He seemed unable to grasp WBCCI.ORG. I hope he is back on his meds and feeling better today.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Bit confused by this discussion.

When we bought our 1973 Sovereign in 1979 we were the third owner. The trailer came with the original owner's WBCCI number, a WBCCI emblem, and a Mexico WBCCI caravan sticker on it. We watch 'Airstream for Sale' adds, and many older units being sold today have WBCCI numbers on them.

Were we in the wrong to leave these on the trailer? If this is an issue shouldn't the PO have removed these prior to sale?

During our travels we were never asked if we were WBCCI members, much less if we were the PO. As these items were part of our trailer's history we didn't feel any need to remove them.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My opinion is that the numbers are issued to the owner not the trailer. When I sold my Bambi II I took a hair dryer to the numbers and rondel and removed them. To me it was just like removing the tags. Issue with this clown was that he was faking being a club member and was called on it by real club members. Also there were no original numbers to remove, this guy made up fake numbers and painted them with what looked a well used toothbrush.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
When we bought our 1973 Sovereign in 1979 we were the third owner. The trailer came with the original owner's WBCCI number, a WBCCI emblem, and a Mexico WBCCI caravan sticker on it. We watch 'Airstream for Sale' adds, and many older units being sold today have WBCCI numbers on them.
Those WBCCI numbers were legitimate when they were applied by the previous owners, so for me that's apples and oranges. Some purists might object to leaving the numbers on, especially if they use their WBCCI directory to try to look up who owns the trailer now, not realizing it has been sold to a non-member. But as you say, it's part of the trailer's history and no insult intended to any legitimate WBCCI members. I suppose it would be better if the numbers were removed, allowing the "ghost" numbers to serve as a reminder of the trailer's history instead.

Personally I wouldn't make an issue of it if I saw an owner whose trailer was still wearing a previous owner's number. I might find myself calling the new owner's by the previous owner's name when I met them for the first time after looking up the number in the Directory, but even that is a conversation-starter and a perfectly acceptable way to meet the new owners as they clear up the confusion.

On the other hand, if someone bought a trailer without numbers— or with just "ghost" numbers— and deliberately applied fake ones as that fellow did, it's a slap in the face of those of us who paid our dues to belong to the club. Which appears to be the whole point of this fellow's efforts.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #25
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Surely the essence of this is that the man seemed to be doing his best to be obnoxious.

I cannot see many WBCCI members joining a lynch mob, and surely no one minds if someone leaves those (historic) numbers on the AS they buy, so long as they don't try to claim benefits that they have not paid for.

I would even seek redemption for the man and suggest that maybe an accidental series of events elevated what he might have meant to be a silly joke into a big deal that he had to defend and that others also started to feel that they had territory to defend. This is how wars start. Unnecessarily.

Send him up here. We'll strap him to a chair and make him listen to "Celine's Greatest Hits". It's like a lobotomy; there won't be any further problems.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Remember, folks, the sincerest form of flattery is imitation. Let's thank the guy for thinking so much of us.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Misery loves company... however, company does NOT love misery.

I feel sorry for the man. He wants attention, and probably doesn't realize there is any other kind than bad attention. If I ever see him in a campsite, I'll choose one as far away as possible.

It's windy and cloudy here in Virginia Beach, but I've got me an Airstream and a new to me GMC 2500 diesel... LIFE IS GOOD!

Happy trails! Paula
Old 09-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The clowns vulgar diatribes did nothing to help his case. He brought all the negatative reactions upon his on head. Good riddance.