Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Fake numbers and rondel, opinion?

On Facebook there is a poser that is very proud of his poorly painted on fake numbers and copied club rondel. No such number exist and he is claiming because he made the rondel 1/2 inch smaller that there is no copy right violation. He mentioned that the club dues are set too high and he is not paying them. I think this if nothing else is an ethical issue and possibly even does violate copy rights. Opinions from ACTUAL club members are welcome.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think you have any grounds for a lawsuit. He could claim it is a parody. And it probably is.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
On Facebook there is a poser that is very proud of his poorly painted on fake numbers and copied club rondel. No such number exist and he is claiming because he made the rondel 1/2 inch smaller that there is no copy right violation. He mentioned that the club dues are set too high and he is not paying them. I think this if nothing else is an ethical issue and possibly even does violate copy rights. Opinions from ACTUAL club members are welcome.
It might be copyright infringement. It might be trademark infringement. The distinction between the two is difficult for a layman like me to make.

But in my layman's opinion… if the roundel he's using is a recognizable copy, regardless of the diameter, it's still the club's official symbol, just like the 1˝" diameter roundels on our ID badges are still the official symbol of the club. Maybe if he put Alfred E. Neuman's face on the roundel instead of Wally Byam's, and/or he used Roman numerals or put the numbers on upside down, he might make a legitimate claim to parody, but a smaller version of the real symbol is not a parody, and just because he's using a number that's never been issued (if the number he's using hasn't ever been issued), he's still pretending to belong to the club whenever anybody sees his trailer, and only someone who's actually in the club would know the difference.

WBCCI has an attorney who is more knowledgeable about trademark and copyright law, so the Facebook page should be referred to the WBCCI management to see if they wish to pursue the matter and get a cease-and-desist order issued. I'd recommend forwarding a link to the Facebook page, along with an explanation of the problem, to Lori Plummer so she can get it to the right people.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I think it is wrong.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I don't think you have any grounds for a lawsuit. He could claim it is a parody. And it probably is.
I am not planning on suing anyone. He is getting pretty nasty about it. A number of club members are spooling him on into to making a bigger jackass of himself. He is now claiming it is a restoration. He is also resorting to insulting Canadians to boot.

This is his idea of an authentic restoration,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	249057  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yep, that's a parody. (Ignoring the fact that you can't copyright a number or the color red)
Old 09-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Funny guy, now he has started a new tread. Called "Troll List". Listing the names anyone that has critized his, in my opinion, unethical behavior. This is on the "Airstream Crazies" page if anyone in interested in following this "parody".

Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Yep, that's a parody. (Ignoring the fact that you can't copyright a number or the color red).
You can copyright or trademark a logo, though, and he is using a copy of the real WBCCI logo, which seems to take it out of the parody arena and puts it into the infringement arena.

And you can trademark colors. Just ask UPS, who trademarked their distinctive UPS Brown. But in this case there is no such distinctive color as WBCCI Red, so the mere fact that the numbers are red and hand-painted isn't an infringement. In my opinion it's the arrangement of the real logo centered above the numbers— so that to the "average" person it looks like a real WBCCI number— that makes it an infringement.

However, none of us has a legal right to do anything about it, except to complain to someone who does have the right. Namely WBCCI's retained attorney, as noted in my previous post.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My only issue is his complete lack of ethics. He is supposed to be a business man. I can only speculate how he runs his business if this is any indication.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:

.... He is also resorting to insulting Canadians to boot.
Well, I don't see how you can get any lower than that!
He'd better not come anywhere near my igloo, or I'll make him eat poutine and listen to Celine!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Well, I don't see how you can get any lower than that!
He'd better not come anywhere near my igloo, or I'll make him eat poutine and listen to Celine!
Brilliant, We need a link button. By the way I like Celine.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Funny guy, now he has started a new tread. Called "Troll List". .
I can't find this thread. Shouldn't you be discussing this over on the WBCCI forum and not on the Airforums?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
I can't find this thread. Shouldn't you be discussing this over on the WBCCI forum and not on the Airforums?
I think both forums are appropriate for the heads up discussion. Useful for folks who are not familiar with WBCCI and folks who are checking into Airstreams - good info to know about the many scams out there trading off the Airstream brand/name.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
Loafy the Wonder-Sled

1986 25' Sovereign
Mercury , Nevada
I guess my take on it would be whether or not he's trying to derive some sort of benefit from doing this.
After all, we can decorate our vehicles with pretty much whatever we please (short of the dangerous or obscene).
So until he shows up at a rally expecting some kind of "perks", or tells someone he's a member expecting some kind of discount(s) (or something of that nature), he's just seeking some kind of attention.

Of course, another response could be, "It's really worth faking??"

Tumbleweed61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The "gentleman" created enough of a stink that he got booted off that facebook group.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, fun is over. Poser kicked out and thread deleted.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Any idea what the number may represent? Does not look like a birth date and clearly is not his IQ.

He went to great detail to produce the Club decal but went amateurish is the execution of the numbers.

I may have to join Facebook just to follow this saga.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It is all over, he was banned from Airstream Crazies and his Facebook page is also gone. He was just a nut trolling for attention.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It is all over, he was banned from Airstream Crazies and his Facebook page is also gone. He was just a nut trolling for attention.
But his trailer is still out there, and will NOT make him very many friends anywhere that he takes it camping— at least not among WBCCI members.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Anyone who has bought a used AS with the numbers on it is doing the same thing, no? It's all intent, I guess. Jim, towing a fake AS.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote