Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi

Just out of curiosity I searched to see if I had a local club and when they gathered. It seems 2 exclude the non-retired folks (new members?...) from joinin' in....

"1st Tue ea mo Starting Jan. 2009 - Luncheon 10:45 AM..."

When is the membership drive? Thursday Mornings? u can't be serious?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Big Mouth Singers

Big Mouth Singers

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigmouth.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	71933

When my children were small there was a Playskool toy that offered electronic, musical fun with "singing" pals and delightful songs. Press a "piano" key to make a wacky pal open its mouth and "sing"! Press a second key, and another friend joins in the "sing-along" fun.

And so it goes, here on the open forums. Press a member's button and they will let loose with a string, usually a familiar tone and sound singular to themselves. Together they form a chorus, alone it echoes clearly. What is a good thing is that the singing pals always stay put so there are no lost pieces.

An open forum is a sounding board for a spectrum of diverse postings and opinions.

There are many roads into WBCCI threads and all finally diverge into an amalgamation. A moderator's nightmare I am sure. I am one of the worst offenders and for that I do apologize. If there is any blame to be lain it would rightly be for where some one posts and not what someone posts, each posting responsibly and courteously on the whole. I mean no disrespect nor do I intend to subvert recruiting efforts or be perceived as a negative. On the positive these threads gather a spectrum of postings from recruitment, to invitations, to history, to politics. Many gravitate to these threads to put in their say. Most address some subject matter albeit not always germane to the opener, but for the most, individuals are addressing some issue and not launching menacing grievances against one another. These threads serve primarily as a meeting place to discuss member concerns along with interested forum members also frequenting the conversations. It's a beneficial mix and not a danger.

First off the club is not arguing all the time. In fact I can almost guarantee you that the club is fighting zero percent of the time! As with any of the talk show threads, the allure and usage of an open forum does not reflect actual social interaction, not in WBCCI, not in axle wars, not in economic or political threads. There is often hype and theatrics, energy and explosion, the positive and the negative. This little piece of cyberspace is a virtual phenomenon of the Internet. In reality you would not be exposed in person to any of the pontifications and explosions of the Internet persona. You would be greeted with friendliness and well mannered club members, I have NO doubt.

There is a subculture in WBCCI and it is a cold war. ARRGH! Don't shush me and put your hand over my mouth because I am speaking the truth. I am for member responsibility and member awareness. You have only to step away from this thread or others like it and you can walk in the sunshine and have fun every day. I have a particular interest in the top leadership of the club and think the self governed units are doing well. Your experience in entirety would be with your unit and its activities unless you want to go out of your way to examine where the bulk of your membership money is going. Old order WBCCI has the method of operation to handle all complaints with the code of ethics and nip it in the bud right there. All is good and no other talk is allowed. But through time and necessity, such as the advent of the name change, members started questioning and wanting transparency and accountability as they were courted into widening out and becoming volunteers at the leadership's own cry for help. So as pressing onto maturity in the club and before one could assume the position, one would need to learn the club. But there were peculiarities in approaching the business of WBCCI and its leadership and ideas to be shared. It seemed member awareness and involvement was paramount to growing the club and encouraging members in an aging member base to get away from complacency and crafting changes to reflect the needs of future membership. The Save Wally organization has been very instrumental in gathering and sharing information about everything you always wanted to know about the WBCCI but were afraid to ask and what the Blue Beret does not tell you in its members news. Now upon that there is much to be said but best saved for another time or place.

I conclude with this. I suspect the biggest liability of the WBCCI and its own worst enemy is the cost of membership. If the dues were competitive with Tin Can Tourists or other travel clubs or even with the majority of unit dues or the VAC dues, in the range of $20.00 for a membership card, newsletter and being entered into the central database of members, I suspect there would be plenty of Airstreamers willing to take the club out for a spin. Unit events are solvent and a pay as you go event scale makes perfect sense for easy bookkeeping. Teresa hit the nail on the head when she said all were invited but by the third rally she might be looking for that membership from you. There is some point in time when hospitality extended and freeloading converge. Don't look to abuse your hosts hospitality! Join and help grow the club.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #103
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I want to say well said and good points well stated. There is one thing that I want to say I disagree with. The dues. I feel $57 is a token fee. I am a carpenter, I work with my hands all day and the collar of my shirt is usually blue. Most members of the WBCCI are more likely to be who I work for and not those I work with. What I am getting at is I do not earn a lot of money. My disposable income is non existent and my discretionary spending is not as open as some peoples might be. I just find the dues to be so little for what I get out of the club. Most of the people reading this spend more each month on cable television. Anyone with the daily starbucks habit spends the dues on coffee twice each month. I know I personally spend more on sandpaper and glue each month than the dues costs for an entire year. I probably spend close to that on adult beverages in a month. I just do not think the dues is that exorbitant.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Dues

I agree with 62Overlander, the dues are not a big deal. I also don't have a bunch of money to throw around with 2 kids in college right now (and I have to do my own carpentry which for the most part is not very pretty!) but the dues are not a deal breaker.

I have to pay dues for a couple of other organizations I belong to, some for business some for fun and to be honest they have all went up over the past two years. Some by 100%. Yes I flinch at each increase but then pay it because of the business need or for the value the group brings to the table.

The WBCCI dues issue is a very deep subject dealing with budgets, the spending practices and other items that have been discussed over and over. But the bottom line is if they have to increase then so be it, I'll deduct the cost from my 21 year old's college allowance, I need the adult beverage fund not her!

I think dues and the club are a minor issue as well. Lets ask this of the group: All things being equal, and not looking at any other topics discussed about the WBCCI, would a dues increase keep you from rejoining or joining the club at all?
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Carol Well said
If WBCCI dues were $20 and no rally fees. We would have already been a member. We are on a small fixed income and cannot afford much. I carry my own insurance that covers my rig and any of my actions that might injure someone else. That's all that's needed.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #106
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Carol,

Thanks for opening your heart and sharing your feelings. Your last post was the best writing you've given us and sums up the situation quite well.

I don't think that the membership dues are a deal breaker all the time, but I'm sure that it is some of the time. We have members in our Unit who are millionaires, but they'll complain about nickel and dime stuff and not go to a rally because of the price of gas. At the same time we have members who are struggling to pay bills, and the price of membership and club activities really can be prohibitive for them. So, membership cost is an issue, not a deal breaker for me necessarily, but no doubt it is for others.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #107
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Richard
For those who are not capable of coming, Wheres the pic of the campfire??
Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	71972  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #108
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yeah know, sometimes I wish I could say what I really think....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Here's my favorite campfire shot

It has the spirit! Letchworth State Park, Oct 07
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CampFire1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	71977  
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #110
Rivet Master

Robandzoe,
That's a beautiful shot of the campfire. makes me want to hit the road.
Thanks, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
I've had a similar problem as some other posters here. I contacted my local Florida unit to see if I could join them on one of their cruise outings to meet everybody. I was so excited, they were going on a cruise that was leaving from the development where I live. No answer to my e-mail. May be they sensed that I'm much younger then they are.
My next try would be-Can I come to the Rally in Sarasota without my trailer before becoming a member???
Also, what's WDCU?
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #112
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libo View Post
Also, what's WDCU?
The WDCU is the Washington DC Unit of the WBCCI. It's a great unit with many members on the forums as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
The NEU over the last few years has welcomed members that rejoined the WBCCI because we invited them to attend one or more of our events. Please note that I'm not a rule breaker IF the rules make sense. When I run NEU rallies (and I run a bunch of them each year) I welcome every Airstream owner - WBCCI member or not to attend because the NEU is working to increase WBCCI membership. We sign up new and past club members at nearly every rally.

As for the dues; Much has changed since this thread was started. Like many Americans I'm going to be out of work within the next few months and I need to insure our mortgage, health insurance, food, etc is covered while I look for employment. As much as I love my local unit I'm not sure I can justify the expense of Unit dues + International dues. We will see how things play out when the next International dues become due in 2009. I hope we can justify the expense, I'm concerned we may not be able to.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libo View Post
I've had a similar problem as some other posters here. I contacted my local Florida unit to see if I could join them on one of their cruise outings to meet everybody. I was so excited, they were going on a cruise that was leaving from the development where I live. No answer to my e-mail. May be they sensed that I'm much younger then they are.
My next try would be-Can I come to the Rally in Sarasota without my trailer before becoming a member???
Also, what's WDCU?
Libo,

I don't know what unit you contacted, but the Florida Unit would welcome your attendance at one of our events. And, Yes you can come to the Florida State Rally in Sarasota with or without your Airstream as a non member. If you need more information, please contact me.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
The NEU over the last few years has welcomed members that rejoined the WBCCI because we invited them to attend one or more of our events. Please note that I'm not a rule breaker IF the rules make sense. When I run NEU rallies (and I run a bunch of them each year) I welcome every Airstream owner - WBCCI member or not to attend because the NEU is working to increase WBCCI membership. We sign up new and past club members at nearly every rally.

As for the dues; Much has changed since this thread was started. Like many Americans I'm going to be out of work within the next few months and I need to insure our mortgage, health insurance, food, etc is covered while I look for employment. As much as I love my local unit I'm not sure I can justify the expense of Unit dues + International dues. We will see how things play out when the next International dues become due in 2009. I hope we can justify the expense, I'm concerned we may not be able to.
Michelle & Leon,

The Florida Unit is adopting the policy you stated above. We too want to build membership.

Best of luck to you in the gathering storm. I hope all goes well.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi SilverCabin; Your quotation is invalid with WDCU. I am not a past member of any club. I am new to Airstreaming [but not camping]. I have, for the first time attended last September North Norwich Rally as a guest. Ever since, I have made attempts to join the WDCU without any response whatsoever. I guess My 26' restored Argosy is not good enough to be in the club. But if you think that this will bother me, you just may be wrong again. After discussing this issue at hand with my wife, we will be very reluctant to join now not knowing what the problem is. We certainly are not interested in making anyone uncomfortable. After all there are plenty of camp sites. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Boat DOC
I really don't think they want Us. I stood face to face with the local pres.and did she invited us to a meeting NOPE! I am a Firm believer in joining local and Supporting local.
I have had a generous offer from a WBCCI member in DC to come and camp all expenses paid. I appreicate that but thats to far for me to support that unit and their activities.
Like U said there are lots of sites out there and we will have fun outside the WBCCI and not have to pay them dang DUES or worry about the proper dress and Roberts RULES
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #118
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After reading a lot of threads about WBCCI, I have come to these conclusions:

1. Some people like WBCCI just like it is. For the most part they are not members of the Forum.

2. Some WBCCI members don't like the way WBCCI is run, but believe in getting Airstream owners together and try to avoid the rules.

3. Some people want nothing to do with WBCCI because of rules; they have never joined or have unjoined.

4. Some people believe the Forum is the best way for Airstream owners to get together.

5. Some people want to find out information and use the Forum for that and have no interest in the social aspects.

6. Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4 each believe they are the true interpreters of Wally's vision.

7. Some people straddle 2 or more of the above.

8. For the most part none of the statements in the threads seem to change anything.

9. I am a 4 and leaning 3. It looks to me the Forum is the future; WBCCI is the past. Maybe someday there will be an accommodation, but the WBCCI will have to lose a lot more members before change happens. And eventually, the Forum rallies will have more and more rules and opinions will recycle.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Not quite the truth

Boat Doc,

You're not being quite honest with your posting that you've gotten "NO" response, are you? Here is a response from YOU from my PM to you.

Re: WDCU
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Roman,

I've talked to Margaret and she has a spam filter on her emails and states she has never received them. If you do email her, ensure that you put WDCU in the subject line.

We'd love to still have you if you are interested!! I enjoyed meeting you at Installation! You're by far a black sheep - not with that gorgeous Argosy work of art you have!

If you are, let me know - as I won't bug you about it. Any questions, just ask. And I'll also send you a WBCCI brochure and flyer. We are unit 170.
take care,

Rob
WDCU President

Hi Rob; After sending two E-mails to Margaret and not getting any reply I have assumed I was marked as undesirable by someone And gave up.
You can be sure I would like to join WDCU and WBCCI. In the mean time thanks for your time in this matter. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Roman & Margaret Kay Kruk

-------------------------------

So, if you're still interested, all you have to do is go to our website, WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) and visit this link WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) » Join Us and fill out the form and mail it in with your WBCCI dues plus the $1 for WDCU. Maybe you'll reconsider. The system is not perfect, and I'm looking into how to dock the pay of my membership chairperson for not responding.

I know you enjoyed our Installation Rally as all did!

Thanks,

Rob
President, WDCU
Courtesy parking

Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Give your Cousin a try ROGER

Roger,

This is your Cous!!! I know another WDCU member made the offer to you, but since you're family, I'll make the same offer! You come to a WDCU, I'll pay your rally fee AND WBCCI dues for a year if you give us a try!!

You can't say no to FAMILY can ya!! cause at WDCU, we're all one big HAPPY (most of the time) FAMILY!

Rob
Courtesy parking