Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Forrest, if that is all that is said about it, I see nothing about former WBCCI members attending a rally, especially if invited. It does say they can't attend without their Airstream, which does make sense. It is, after all, an Airstream club.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Afterall it's just camping. We should have fun. I gotta post this, a web grab off of WBCCI.org. We need to loosen up and change the authoritarian image. Has much changed through the years? Put the picture in color and it would look the same today. (thanks Leo)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I am an Airstream owner but I know I would be turned away from a WBCCI Rally because Im not a member ,or was not invited by a member, therefore I won't waste the money to even travel to one. I have tried to contact my local ,without success,like boatdoc my e-mails have been ignored. Requests for info have been ignored. If I were to join, I would want to support my local unit therefore I would not join WDU or 4C ,no offence ment Im sure they are great units. But why would I join a unit 500 miles away.Therefore we will be content to camp at Forums Rallys, enjoy the great WBCCI members we have met and keep our $80 dues or what ever it is and use it to camp and not have to worry about rules or dress codes and the like. We are just gonna have fun campin.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Once again it evolves to an evil empire scenario. Why is this?

Roman, Your email was caught in a little thing called a spam filter. See, you never mentioned the word WDCU or WBCCI in your emails. I think you have to admit that when you came to our installation rally you were treated as if one of the family. I do not think a single person even once wondered if you were or were not a member of the club. I think you and your wife had a great time too. I know I truly enjoyed spending the day with you during our day trip to Howe caverns. I hope you will try again, or just come to another event and join in person. I also hope we can do a day trip together again some time.

Roger, I am stating this again, easy to bitch about something you do not participate in. I WILL PAY YOUR DUES, so you can bitch from a perspective of knowledge first hand. Send me your info and I will mail the check out today.

Carol, that statement with that photo was perceived by me to be the spark to get people riled up. I think you were showing those guys doing the pledge of allegiance as old hat and stiff. That we are still stiff and starched like that photo. Was that the intention? Maybe it us, the modern crop that have what the club is all about wrong. I mean, it seems we need a name change. Everyone fought so hard to stop the name change, but it should be changed. The Wally Byam Caravan Club needs to be changed to the Wally Byam Camping Club. As everyone keeps saying it is a camping club. Oh wait, it was formed by caravaners was it not? And it should be fun, but only we can have fun if we chose to. I am glad to read you joined a local unit and I hope your intense passion helps grow that unit into exactly what you want the club to be.

In this past year with the WDCU I observed many people come for open house to attend the next rally in the rig they just bought. I witnessed a fifth wheel toy hauler owner go out and buy a 64 tradewind the next week, so he could come camp with us. I have seen many non WBCCI members join on the spot or between the rallies. I think this comes from an openness and friendly group that welcomes strangers in so they can stop being strangers and start being part of the family. I think the rules are often put aside to be replaced by what is right and wrong. Most of us know what is right and what is wrong.

Randy I hope you open your arms to anyone that wants to come. That is how your unit will grow.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Photos of today's WBCCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Once again it evolves to an evil empire scenario. Why is this?

Carol, that statement with that photo was perceived by me to be the spark to get people riled up. I think you were showing those guys doing the pledge of allegiance as old hat and stiff. That we are still stiff and starched like that photo. Was that the intention?
Want to see a better image of the club's makeup take a look at page 24 of the November Blue Beret. That's the mix that is going on and most of the faces I see when people like the club. Also the front cover photo is a much better representation of the club than the photo posted by Carol.
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A 4CU rally...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	71654  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Richard--

That's a great photo and it's good to see some a "younger unit" grow and thrive. I just wish I was closer to you folks.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Hmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
A 4CU rally...
Not a flag carrying, beret wearer in the group but gee look all WBCCI members! That's the way our rallies look in WI. Hey don't get me wrong we have our whit shirted, flag carrying beret wearers too, but the last time I check most were not into the club politics and might even like us non-traditional Airstream owners. Heck they even like us Vintage Guys!
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Put the picture in color and it would look the same today. (thanks Leo)
in your wildest dreams! (thanks for others to post examples of the contrast to this fixation)

Quote:
that statement with that photo was perceived by me to be the spark to get people riled up.
I agree, the trolling is something else. I often wonder what purpose it serves.

And, I wonder, it seems to be a putdown of a group and a lifestyle and a ceremony. Is there any reason why we should cast negative aspersions about how others choose to dress and show their allegiances? It seems that it is just that kind of intolerance of others and how they choose to live and behave and believe that is being complained about in may of these discussions.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
For those that are unaware of the origins of the above photo, it is from a 1970 Life Magazine article.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well 62 Overlander
Thanks but NO THANKs . I had occasion to met in person the (at least she said she was) president of the Region 4 and had a conversation with her. I told her we have an Overlander but she didn't ask us to attend any of the Cincinnati Unit functions. She has my email address even, but no communication. Seems if they wanted members or someone who would participate they would have ceased the opportunity to get a new member, but they dont want new members it appears. Overland I appreciate your gesture, it appears U are a true member that will to go to any length to obtain a new member and make pple welcome. I would have to support a local unit of which appears to be a secret orginazation in this area.
Richard
Thats a great lookin crew.Ill bet their fun too. Like so many WBCCI members we have camped with this past yr. Its a shame there is so much politics at the top.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
My point being the WBCCI leadership casts an authoritarian image. Can't beat Time Life magazine for making an evoking picture, can you. That picture was worth a thousand words. It is a picture of the leadership at flag ceremony, and yes kids, the flag and pledge ceremonies are alive and current at the large rallies.

The rigidity and militaristic influences on the IBT are the same influences at work to create and uphold legislation for the club. I believe the discussion is about the WBCCI rules and how they apply to casual unit activities and particularly to hospitality. The picture shows leadership and where they are in juxtaposition to unit rallies and experience.

I think membership would like to see a relaxing and updating of the club towards camping and having fun and less of rules and ceremonies. I think if someone wants to be at our rallies we should embrace them and influenece them to help us make the experience fun and expand that thinking from the bottom up to the leadership. So that's my opinion and that's my post.

A few pictures of the ceremonies from the Sarasota State Rally, the Perry Mid Winter Rally and Bozeman International. If I had a picture of International opening ceremonies with all the unit flags in place and all the leadership assembled as they still do, I still contend it would appear very similar to the club 40 years ago. By the way that is a picture of the IBT voting to allow the motion for non-Airstream motorhomes to be brought to the membership for vote.

Sound like anyone we know? If it doesn't you haven't been paying attention.

1.favoring complete obedience or subjection to authority as opposed to individual freedom: authoritarian principles; authoritarian attitudes. 2.of or pertaining to a governmental or political system, principle, or practice in which individual freedom is held as completely subordinate to the power or authority of the state, centered either in one person or a small group that is not constitutionally accountable to the people.3.exercising complete or almost complete control over the will of another or of others: an authoritarian parent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_6566.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	71657   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6567.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	71658  

Name:	_MG_6576.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	71659   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0014.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	71660  

Name:	IMG_9615.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	71662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9818.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	71663  

photography
Old 11-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Randy----
Given your stated goals for the unit, keep it simple. Be inclusive. If someone with an Airstream wants to attend one of your events, just say welcome.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I dont know if I agree wheel. Maybe I am reading it wrong also??? The pledge is said at small Rallies and meetings also.

There is alot of craze over Nastagic Items... just look at the vintage club. or these forums, how many people own older units. Even in dept stores I think they call them throw back items.

What about tradition??

I have been in the club since 98 I was 31 ?? I like those Blue Berrets and thos 4rth of July parades. I have always been made to feel welcome at Rallies, for the most part. Ya I have come across a crotchety old geezer from time to time. I have always related it to the new hire at work. He is gunhoe. They always settle in but I think people feel intimidated. Its my club. Seniority. ect.

I hope The WBCCI and all the clubs dont loose sight of there roots. For the rules?? Rules are made to be broken.

I hope my family never stops passing the pierogi and fish sticks at christmas dinner.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Mustang for your comment. I think prospective and new members attending an International Rally are in for a culture shock. I don't know why it has to be so formal and militaristic. Where you might say give me a minute, they say "Stand Down."The image of WBCCI is old and it is not retro cool old, it's old, just listen to the geriatric jokes at the evenings' entertainment. You'd see. Wally on a caravan is cool, IBT in formals or at the Ramada Inn is not. We want bonfires and a band, not Sky Med and free prostrate exams.

It's no one thing, not a beret, not dressing alike as much as expecting no one to challenge or speak apart. It's micromanaging and being exclusive and pomp and ceremony to honor each other in the International Club while the members feel disenfranchized and forgotten. Young people and working families and children are all an invisible subset to the planning that most of the money goes towards providing incentives for the International Club.

I love vintage, btw! Open House is my favorite event at the rallies.

If we want new members then we have to offer them the promise of what they may want in their club. Nothing wrong with tradition if it is held as a nostalgic exercise but to fossilize in time is not embracing new horizons. Tell me are you excited as they for knitting and card playing, do sign up early.

These rules I assume the nature of this thread, are taken very seriously, too seriously. Expect to receive a list of infractions as a first timer. They have police! Self appointed.

photography
Old 11-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Roger, you can come to Ralph's Christmas in July Rally. You have already rallied with many of us at the MD forum rallies already. Laura is 2nd VP this year! They'll be good to you or they will have Rudy's Strike Team to answer to!

photography
Old 11-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The Florida State rally is one of the largest attended rallys in the WBCCI. Every effort is made to be inclusive. There are many vendors there and its a great time to have factory repairs made on your equipment. Sarasota in February is a neat place to be, hope those of you that haven't been there will give it a try before making up your mind as to what its all about. For me its all about the people and the fellowship of being with other Airstream owners.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I agree. The Sarasota Rally is a nice rally. Everyone was so friendly and there was a good meal and doughnuts and coffee every morning with a warm smile that made my day.

Do the flywheelers hold their rally then too this year? It was a great excursion. Lots of my friends went to the beaches. Great location at a perfect time of year too. And there is usually a listees party given by Hunter for the Yahoo Airstream group. I heard that DJ night was really fun.

Other Airstreamers are exactly what make the rally. You meet people then you meet more people and pretty soon you have friends from all over the United States and Canada. Then you go back and visit with them again and meet even more people. The locator board is a great way to find everyone's location.

photography
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

rules

Quote:
What is the rule for ex-members in your rallies?
Please come back with your thoughts on this. No flame wars please, that hopefully ended on November 4. Lets work together for change.

Randy
Is it possible to stick with Randy's original question without it becoming yet another thread to trash WBCCI, in particular in regards to perceived rules, regulations and "mandated" attire? Is it possible to address Randy's questions in a manner that may shed some light, clarify things, and provide some positive insight that would be helpful to others? Some responses have done this. Hopefully this can continue. There are numerous other threads that can be started up again if your focus is on trashing WBCCI.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #40
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Airstream

lets just say if everyone at the Can opener had extra time on there hands and wanted to go to a WBCCI rally like this would they be allowed to do it if they are already in the club or not?
How does this work?
Am I only allowed to invite 1 person or if they know about it could they just come to the rally with out even saying anything and then join in.I do not want to just let them stand there by themselves.I would want to invite them and have fun.The more the merrier.
I am just curious.As most of you all know I just joined this unit but still a newbie in this area.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote