Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
The NEU over the last few years has welcomed members that rejoined the WBCCI because we invited them to attend one or more of our events. Please note that I'm not a rule breaker IF the rules make sense. When I run NEU rallies (and I run a bunch of them each year) I welcome every Airstream owner - WBCCI member or not to attend because the NEU is working to increase WBCCI membership. We sign up new and past club members at nearly every rally.

As for the dues; Much has changed since this thread was started. Like many Americans I'm going to be out of work within the next few months and I need to insure our mortgage, health insurance, food, etc is covered while I look for employment. As much as I love my local unit I'm not sure I can justify the expense of Unit dues + International dues. We will see how things play out when the next International dues become due in 2009. I hope we can justify the expense, I'm concerned we may not be able to.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libo View Post
I've had a similar problem as some other posters here. I contacted my local Florida unit to see if I could join them on one of their cruise outings to meet everybody. I was so excited, they were going on a cruise that was leaving from the development where I live. No answer to my e-mail. May be they sensed that I'm much younger then they are.
My next try would be-Can I come to the Rally in Sarasota without my trailer before becoming a member???
Also, what's WDCU?
Libo,

I don't know what unit you contacted, but the Florida Unit would welcome your attendance at one of our events. And, Yes you can come to the Florida State Rally in Sarasota with or without your Airstream as a non member. If you need more information, please contact me.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
The NEU over the last few years has welcomed members that rejoined the WBCCI because we invited them to attend one or more of our events. Please note that I'm not a rule breaker IF the rules make sense. When I run NEU rallies (and I run a bunch of them each year) I welcome every Airstream owner - WBCCI member or not to attend because the NEU is working to increase WBCCI membership. We sign up new and past club members at nearly every rally.

As for the dues; Much has changed since this thread was started. Like many Americans I'm going to be out of work within the next few months and I need to insure our mortgage, health insurance, food, etc is covered while I look for employment. As much as I love my local unit I'm not sure I can justify the expense of Unit dues + International dues. We will see how things play out when the next International dues become due in 2009. I hope we can justify the expense, I'm concerned we may not be able to.
Michelle & Leon,

The Florida Unit is adopting the policy you stated above. We too want to build membership.

Best of luck to you in the gathering storm. I hope all goes well.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi SilverCabin; Your quotation is invalid with WDCU. I am not a past member of any club. I am new to Airstreaming [but not camping]. I have, for the first time attended last September North Norwich Rally as a guest. Ever since, I have made attempts to join the WDCU without any response whatsoever. I guess My 26' restored Argosy is not good enough to be in the club. But if you think that this will bother me, you just may be wrong again. After discussing this issue at hand with my wife, we will be very reluctant to join now not knowing what the problem is. We certainly are not interested in making anyone uncomfortable. After all there are plenty of camp sites. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Boat DOC
I really don't think they want Us. I stood face to face with the local pres.and did she invited us to a meeting NOPE! I am a Firm believer in joining local and Supporting local.
I have had a generous offer from a WBCCI member in DC to come and camp all expenses paid. I appreicate that but thats to far for me to support that unit and their activities.
Like U said there are lots of sites out there and we will have fun outside the WBCCI and not have to pay them dang DUES or worry about the proper dress and Roberts RULES
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After reading a lot of threads about WBCCI, I have come to these conclusions:

1. Some people like WBCCI just like it is. For the most part they are not members of the Forum.

2. Some WBCCI members don't like the way WBCCI is run, but believe in getting Airstream owners together and try to avoid the rules.

3. Some people want nothing to do with WBCCI because of rules; they have never joined or have unjoined.

4. Some people believe the Forum is the best way for Airstream owners to get together.

5. Some people want to find out information and use the Forum for that and have no interest in the social aspects.

6. Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4 each believe they are the true interpreters of Wally's vision.

7. Some people straddle 2 or more of the above.

8. For the most part none of the statements in the threads seem to change anything.

9. I am a 4 and leaning 3. It looks to me the Forum is the future; WBCCI is the past. Maybe someday there will be an accommodation, but the WBCCI will have to lose a lot more members before change happens. And eventually, the Forum rallies will have more and more rules and opinions will recycle.

Gene
Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Not quite the truth

Boat Doc,

You're not being quite honest with your posting that you've gotten "NO" response, are you? Here is a response from YOU from my PM to you.

Re: WDCU
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Roman,

I've talked to Margaret and she has a spam filter on her emails and states she has never received them. If you do email her, ensure that you put WDCU in the subject line.

We'd love to still have you if you are interested!! I enjoyed meeting you at Installation! You're by far a black sheep - not with that gorgeous Argosy work of art you have!

If you are, let me know - as I won't bug you about it. Any questions, just ask. And I'll also send you a WBCCI brochure and flyer. We are unit 170.
take care,

Rob
WDCU President

Hi Rob; After sending two E-mails to Margaret and not getting any reply I have assumed I was marked as undesirable by someone And gave up.
You can be sure I would like to join WDCU and WBCCI. In the mean time thanks for your time in this matter. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Roman & Margaret Kay Kruk

-------------------------------

So, if you're still interested, all you have to do is go to our website, WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) and visit this link WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) Join Us and fill out the form and mail it in with your WBCCI dues plus the $1 for WDCU. Maybe you'll reconsider. The system is not perfect, and I'm looking into how to dock the pay of my membership chairperson for not responding.

I know you enjoyed our Installation Rally as all did!

Thanks,

Rob
President, WDCU
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Give your Cousin a try ROGER

Roger,

This is your Cous!!! I know another WDCU member made the offer to you, but since you're family, I'll make the same offer! You come to a WDCU, I'll pay your rally fee AND WBCCI dues for a year if you give us a try!!

You can't say no to FAMILY can ya!! cause at WDCU, we're all one big HAPPY (most of the time) FAMILY!

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
After reading a lot of threads about WBCCI, I have come to these conclusions:

1. Some people like WBCCI just like it is. For the most part they are not members of the Forum.

2. Some WBCCI members don't like the way WBCCI is run, but believe in getting Airstream owners together and try to avoid the rules.

3. Some people want nothing to do with WBCCI because of rules; they have never joined or have unjoined.

4. Some people believe the Forum is the best way for Airstream owners to get together.

5. Some people want to find out information and use the Forum for that and have no interest in the social aspects.

6. Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4 each believe they are the true interpreters of Wally's vision.

7. Some people straddle 2 or more of the above.

8. For the most part none of the statements in the threads seem to change anything.

9. I am a 4 and leaning 3. It looks to me the Forum is the future; WBCCI is the past. Maybe someday there will be an accommodation, but the WBCCI will have to lose a lot more members before change happens. And eventually, the Forum rallies will have more and more rules and opinions will recycle.

Gene
I'd like to chime in with a #3 with a #4 on the side.

I simply don't understand why anyone would want to join a club that has such a para-militaristic feel, so many rules and regulations. The dues has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I understand that not all clubs follow the rules to a T of course, I get that part. But for the most part it's an army, governed to the N-th degree. One of my favourite excerpts from the Blue Book talks about the dimensions of the flags and pennants and how they're not to exceed x by y inches, and how those designed after January 17th, 1997 have to be approved by the International Board of Trustees...

ugh. It's like the original club with its original intent has been infected with a rules-regulations-bylaws-up-the-wazoo virus.

I know this topic has been beaten to death and back again, sorry about that. But I just......don't........get..........it..........
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #122
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Leo is so right about the local units.

Last year Jan and I attended 7 WBCCI rallies. Six were with the Four Corners Unit and other was the with Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club. We had all sorts of fun, met some of the nicest people on the planet and never heard the word "rule" mentioned once.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
A little more truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Boat Doc,

You're not being quite honest with your posting that you've gotten "NO" response, are you? Here is a response from YOU from my PM to you.

...snip...
So, if you're still interested, all you have to do is go to our website, WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) and visit this link WDCU - Washington D.C. Unit (#170) Join Us and fill out the form and mail it in with your WBCCI dues plus the $1 for WDCU. Maybe you'll reconsider. The system is not perfect, and I'm looking into how to dock the pay of my membership chairperson for not responding.

I know you enjoyed our Installation Rally as all did!

Thanks,

Rob
President, WDCU
Boatdoc, I also contacted you with the PM below after your November post.
Recipients: boatdoc
11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
WDCU - sorry about the lack of response

I heard the WDCU Installation Rally was great. Sorry I missed it but glad you got to be there.

Did you ever get any response from the WDCU about your membership request? I guarantee you haven't been labeled as a "black sheep". Most of us in the unit could easily be labeled as "black sheep" by some standards.

I'm not sure what happened to your email, nor do I handle membership. But I can make sure you get what you need to join. Just let me know if I can help.

Dacia
WDCU
WBCCI #14764
But you never responded to my PM. As Rob says, all you have to do is go to the website if you still want to join us. I'm sorry you didn't get the response you wanted on your first inquiry.

Just as the WBCCI isn't perfect, neither is the WDCU or any other unit within the club. However, the diversity of the units within the WBCCI could be one of our assets. If anyone interested in the club is willing to put forth the effort, they will find units that will give them the experiences they are seeking. If someone isn't seeking experiences within the WBCCI, that's OK too. Just as long as you're out there camping and having fun.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #124
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with Leo one-hundred percent.

It's actually somewhat interesting that it wasn't until the advent of social networks that so much info has become available about the going-on at the international level. That's a good thing, obviously, but it's also a bad thing: It makes people think that the WBCCI is just all about the rules and regulations that the "greatest generation" was culturally adapted to and apparently fond of.

And I do think that this is, to a large degree, generational. Generations pass; their legacy has to be evaluated, accepted, rejected, rewritten, whatever.

Lynn
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just for the record, I am not against rules. I am against rules that accomplish little or are to enforce conformity for conformity's sake. Rules have to make sense to me before I obey—most of us exceed speed limits because they often make no sense. They make so little sense there is a general national belief it is ok to speed up to 10 mph over the limit. Towns that enforce the speed limit are called "speed traps". This makes for a belief that it's ok to break other laws, an unfortunate and not uncommon result of silly rules. Yet there are people who would never disobey a speed limit; the rest of us pass them or in some cases, tailgate.

More and more rules seem to be the natural result in organizations that are around for a long time. But to some, rules are comforting. I am sure a lot of the local groups do not enforce WBCCI rules, though maybe others do. It appears the national organization has problems about this difference between what some people want and what others don't want, but the problems don't get resolved.

To me, supporting the local groups also means supporting what I don't care for at the national level. We went to one FCU rally and it was fine, but I have no intention of imposing on that courtesy by attending other FCU rallies since I don't want to join the WBCCI. Why should I pay for more rule books? If the FCU were a separate group, then it is very possible we would join it.

I wonder, though, why the local groups who are in opposition don't just secede and form a parallel group? If they can't figure out how to take over the WBCCI, and they believe an organization of Airstream owners makes sense, start your own. Then you'll have to figure out how to have an organization with reasonable and sensible rules and probably have to get insurance. Maybe you can convince JC to also support your group. Or if several groups secede, surely the WBCCI leadership will notice.

I've been involved in reform efforts in organizations and it is very difficult; I've also been involved in forming new ones and that isn't so easy either. The fact is, some people like to run things and some people like to have rules—these are the people who usually end up running things. The classic extreme example of this human tendency is the homeowners ass'n where the community busybodies take over and try to make sure everyone's grass is exactly 1.37" high, everyone's front door is the same color, etc. Most people don't want to be bothered with the necessary and unnecessary work of running an organization. Only the National Association of Anarchists is immune from stultification.

It's also important to remember perfectly reasonable people can like a rule that other perfectly reasonable people think was imposed by spawn of satan. I run into this a lot because I'm a guy who writes rules, knows the rules and believes meetings have to be run efficiently, but also believes everyone gets to say what they need to say. Some people don't like any rules and prefer chaos (unless they are elected to a Board and then there's sometimes an amazing transformation).

I think a lot of people avoid the national organization, but I don't think that is the answer. Change it or change where you are. There are plenty of Forum rallies which will accomplish the same thing as WBCCI local group rallies. These rallies are there because there's a need for them. There's also a need for communication among Airstream owners and the Forum does that better than WBCCI. This is why I said the Forum is the future. A parallel national organization, or loosely affiliated local or regional groups that use the Forum for communication may be the eventual future.

I've studied communities and how they are created and evolve, why they are needed, and what functions they perform for many years. I find the threads on the WBCCI fascinating because it is a real life example of some aspects of community, how it changes, and how people deal with change. I wonder where it goes from here?

Gene
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #126
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Boatdoc, I also contacted you with the PM below after your November post.
Recipients: boatdoc
11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
WDCU - sorry about the lack of response

I heard the WDCU Installation Rally was great. Sorry I missed it but glad you got to be there.

Did you ever get any response from the WDCU about your membership request? I guarantee you haven't been labeled as a "black sheep". Most of us in the unit could easily be labeled as "black sheep" by some standards.

I'm not sure what happened to your email, nor do I handle membership. But I can make sure you get what you need to join. Just let me know if I can help.

Dacia
WDCU
WBCCI #14764
But you never responded to my PM. As Rob says, all you have to do is go to the website if you still want to join us. I'm sorry you didn't get the response you wanted on your first inquiry.

Just as the WBCCI isn't perfect, neither is the WDCU or any other unit within the club. However, the diversity of the units within the WBCCI could be one of our assets. If anyone interested in the club is willing to put forth the effort, they will find units that will give them the experiences they are seeking. If someone isn't seeking experiences within the WBCCI, that's OK too. Just as long as you're out there camping and having fun.
Boatdoc.
I also contacted you a few times to make sure everything was okay . You told me not to get in the middle of it and to not pass on the word to those that deal with membership. Out of respect I did as you asked. I wish now I had gotten in the middle. I enjoyed my day at Howe Caverns with you and your wife. I thought it was wonderful that I got to know two total strangers, by going off on a day trip. Thank you again for lunch and keeping me company all day. I had the impression that you felt like the WDCU was a good fit for you. I hope you will try again and join us in the future even if it is as a guest. Sorry it did not work out smoothly.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote