Old 11-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Rodger, have you heard one word I said to you? I have repeatedly invited you to a rally even offered to pay your way. I am glad you have excepted some ones offer finally. I hope you have a great time there and that at the end of the weekend you do not find out that it is a great club after all. Well, actually I am hoping you PM me and tell me how wrong you were, how much fun you had and that you should have tried it so much earlier. Karma to Carol for convincing you.

Randy invite them all to come. If your unit is anything like our unit there will be no ramifications for showing some fellow Airstreamers a little hospitality. Who knows, you might even grow your unit that way.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Non-Members with or without an Airstream

In WI we invite them to park with us, just visit or have a meal. Yes some of the rallies according to rules are "buddy" rallies. But if we run into someone or are contacted by someone and they want to attend (or they just show up) they are NEVER turned away.

This attitude in WI has been the cornerstone of our growth. We do draw new members even though our Unit has some old time WBCCI members.

And we even talk POSITIVE about the club

best part about the whole thing, these people join and come back.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
You are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Carol

Ya know what would be nice? ,if all Airstream owners were welcome at any WBCCI rally, get them coming in the hope that they would join. Just a wild off the wall thought.
As I said before you are welcome to join us
Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
In WI we invite them to park with us, just visit or have a meal. Yes some of the rallies according to rules are "buddy" rallies. But if we run into someone or are contacted by someone and they want to attend (or they just show up) they are NEVER turned away.

This attitude in WI has been the cornerstone of our growth. We do draw new members even though our Unit has some old time WBCCI members.
I want to second Ed's comment. Rules or no, the WI unit is friendly to all and it shows in our membership growth.

At the first Region 7 VAC rally that we attended (several years ago), in Waldo, Wisconsin, a delightful young couple showed up on a Vespa motor scooter, tent camping. They asked if they could stay and we said, sure! They were the hit of the rally. As I recall he was a professional chef and they brought all kinds of exotic dishes to the happy hours. Is a Vespa motor scooter a recreational vehicle? Don't know, don't care. I believe they were looking for an Airstream. Hope they found one to their liking.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:

And we even talk POSITIVE about the club

best part about the whole thing, these people join and come back.
Same thing in our unit....the first rally we went to, there was a guest there with a SOB, and later because of the friendliness of the people in the unit and the enjoyment of the rally, that person went out and purchased an Airstream, and returned to the rally the next month to join.

I understand the purpose of the rule that was quoted, and it specifically addresses past members that have bought other brands of RV's. It's unfortunate that message did not come accross accurately in the advertisement for the rally in the beginning of the thread.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Carol
We would be delighted to come to Ralphs Christmas in July. I didn't know that was a WBCCI Rally. If it is a WBCCI rally ,Im sure Ralph and Laura will not have a problem with it and I already know how much fun it will be . In fact I think we were invited in July this yr but that was when Henshens engineers decided to reinvent the wheel and we were down for 9 weeks without axles.
Ya know what would be nice? ,if all Airstream owners were welcome at any WBCCI rally, get them coming in the hope that they would join. Just a wild off the wall thought.
Yea!

Yup Ralph's Christmas in July Rally is a standing Metro Detroit unit rally, Roger. Ralph deep fries a turkey and everyone decorates. You already know Brad and me, Ralph and Laura, Steve and Tom, Rhonda and Dave and the kids. Not only would have you see us at the forums' rallies but each of us has hosted more than one of our own rallies and you would see us at the Tin Can Tourist rallies as well. We are just a group of active Airstreamers in this area who really enjoy getting out and having fun together. There are no politics on our social agenda either! We don't employ tactics or rules to force you to to carry a 70 dollar card to fund IBT frills and ceremony to camp with us, which basically is what originated this thread.

I know you would enjoy the other WBCCI units that have invited you to their rallies too. But I also realize we can't just hop in the trucks and get that far from home to accept their gracious invitations. But the hospitality of Washington DC, Wisconsin, and 4CU (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico) units is rivaled to none. Fun, energetic just camping groups too Roger, to be sure. I think you just run up into a dry pocket of Region 4. We have no web presence, we have an extremely long non camping winter season and not as many members and young members to vitalize the region or older units.

I'll see you just as soon as the weather breaks and at Christmas in July then too! But probably the first and several others throughout the year will be at a forums rally which includes so many more, like Lou and Larry, and others from Ohio, maybe Sharon and Peter from Canada, Ryan, and Steph and Dave and Sam and those that travel from all over to join us spontaneously. If you plan it, they will come.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have always been told in the Akron unit of WBCCI "There is always room for 1 more"

I dont know of it ever being any different. That is why I joined at a young age and continue to be part of it. They have always made me and my family feel very very welcome.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Former WBCCI members may be invited to WBCCI rallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
On my thread discussing the Jacksonville Ships Ahoy Rally sponsored by the Florida Unit http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-46473.html I made this statement:

“This rally is open to all WBCCI members and non-WBCCI Airstream owners provided they haven't been WBCCI members in the past.”

I seem to have poked some old wounds, and I would like to hear more. As most of you know, I am new to the WBCCI (2-year member) and am an officer in the FL Unit. I’m sincerely trying to understand all the politics and work toward change where I see it necessary…the list goes on and on.

I was told this is the rule for WBCCI sponsored rallies. Can someone confirm that? I was given this rule for the FL State Rally for which I am the registrar.

Randy
Randy started this thread with a simple question about what the WBCCI rules say. So far he has received a bunch of answers about what various units do [pretty much as we please, I would say!] but no one has answered his straightforward question, “May past WBCCI members be invited as guests to WBCCI rallies?

Forrest McClure helpfully quoted a portion of the applicable sections of the bylaws, but without attempting to interpret them. These bylaws are in fact quite confusing. Lets take a good look at them and see if we can figure out the answer to Randy’s question.

Before beginning, I guess we need a disclaimer: The writer of this post is not a lawyer and doesn’t even play one on TV. Your mileage may vary. Statements are believed to be true but are not warranted. Read prospectus before you invest or send money. Past results are not a guarantee of future performance. There, that ought to do it.

On to the Blue Book. . .

Bylaws, Article IV, Membership and Membership Privileges

Section 8: A unit member may invite a non-member Airstream recreational vehicle owner, as a prospective member, to attend rallies and other activities of the unit. A unit member will not invite the same non-Airstream RV owner(s) to more than one buddy rally per year. (1/17/03)

Comments: The first sentence says that a unit member may invite someone who owns an Airstream, but is not a member of WBCCI, to attend unit rallies. This sentence says nothing about “buddy rallies” so presumably this privilege applies to any unit rally or activity.

The second sentence says that a unit member will not invite an owner of a non-Airstream RV (and therefor not a WBCCI member) to more than one buddy rally per year. Note that the second sentence applies only to non-Airstream owners and buddy rallies and does not affect the first sentence. There does not appear to be any limit on the number of times in a year that a unit member can invite an Airstream-owning non-WBCCI member to unit activities.

Section 12A

A unit, once each calendar year, may host a rally or caravan or combination thereof with a recreation vehicle club not chartered by the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc., and it may conduct, twice each calendar year, (but not more than 50% of the rallies and caravans conducted by that unit in any calendar year) a buddy rally or a buddy caravan or combination thereof to which each member of the unit may invite not more than one non-member recreation vehicle family. (7/5/02)

Comment: This says that a unit can have one joint rally or caravan with a non-WBCCI club (e.g.FMCA) and can have up to two buddy rallies or caravans per year to which non-Airstream owners may be invited. Seems straightforward enough.

The non-member RV family to be invited is intended to be one, which is a prospective member, and one which does not own an Airstream. The family is invited to the buddy rally or caravan to introduce them to the WBCCI “Way of Life” and the unit members in the hope they might decide to purchase an Airstream and join the club. A buddy rally is not intended to be used by current or past WBCCI members to attend a WBCCI rally in their non-Airstream vehicles. (7/5/02)

Comment: This paragraph makes it clear that buddy rallies are intended to attract non-Airstream-owning RVers to buy an Airstream and join WBCCI.

Read the last sentence very carefully again: A buddy rally is not intended to be used by current or past WBCCI members to attend a WBCCI rally in their non-Airstream vehicles. This sentence is not a restriction on past WBCCI members—it is a restriction on their attending WBCCI functions in non-Airstream vehicles.

Bylaws, Section 12B

The sponsor or sponsors of a national, a special event, a region, a state, commonwealth or multi unit rally may invite non-member owners of recreational vehicles manufactured by Airstream, Inc. to attend such rallies. The sponsors of such rallies may receive assistance, as may be established by the International Executive Committee. (1/17/97)

This says that the International may even pay the sponsors of a rally to invite Airstream owners who are not WBCCI members to their rally!

My conclusion, based upon this careful reading of these applicable sections of the WBCCI bylaws, is that there is no reason whatsoever that former WBCCI members cannot be invited to any WBCCI rally—not just buddy rallies—as long as they attend in an Airstream product.

Randy, if someone has told you otherwise, I would appreciate it if you could get them to cite the applicable rule. (And yes, granted, it could be a Unit rule rather than something in the Blue Book.)

Cheers,
Nuvi
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Well Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

My conclusion, based upon this careful reading of these applicable sections of the WBCCI bylaws, is that there is no reason whatsoever that former WBCCI members cannot be invited to any WBCCI rally—not just buddy rallies—as long as they attend in an Airstream product.

Randy, if someone has told you otherwise, I would appreciate it if you could get them to cite the applicable rule. (And yes, granted, it could be a Unit rule rather than something in the Blue Book.)

Cheers,
Nuvi
As always if you sift through the BS the answer is there. Come join us, we really don't read the Blue Book at a rally!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Blue Book? Isn't that something about used cars?

Quote:
Come join us, we really don't read the Blue Book at a rally!
And, of course, in some units (not naming any names, you understand) we don't care what it says!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
OH What Units Do Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
And, of course, in some units (not naming any names, you understand) we don't care what it says!
Some of us in the some Units don't eve remember reading the rules so how can we care?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow there are actually rules about this, who woulda thunk? Rules over being friendly and inclusive. Now how does a unit apply for these grants to pay the way of non members? I have a list of non members that I would love to see come to some event, any event. Being able to actually pay their way might be very cool.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #55
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to mcdowellc
holy crap...what are we getting ourselves into? To rally or buddy or whatever...- it's a bit over the top if you ask me. We bought an airstream for its quality and coolness...and to camp. it appeared to us that camping with other airstreamers would be a great way to exchange ideas about the trailer, the lifestyle, parks, etc...sounds as if the talk would be more about the membership and unit's value. Oh well...it was nice idea. Have fun all.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hey mcdowellc
My sentiments exactly. We did have fun at forums Rallys this yr,camped with some great people . Some were even WBCCI members, but U would never know it. When camping that org is never mentioned.
Camping and havin fun was our main goal
Please come join in the fun in 09 NO FEES,NO DRESS CODES, NO POLITICS JUST PLAIN FUN!
Roger

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote