Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi HowieE; I have attended WDCU Rally in North Norwich NY as a guest. The experience was incredible for me and my wife Kay. We would like to join WBCCI and WDCU. After two requests via E-mail to each organization, no reply was received. I guess someone categorized us as black sheep. But do not despair, we will be most likely very happy to continue to camp just the two of us. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
I would doubt very much that you were categorized as 'black sheep'.I do find it very odd that you did not receive a reply.
If you would like to try again,I would suggest contacting Cindy Reed at WBCCI headquarters.

or Star Grover of the WDCU at

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
I would have to agree with Mike. I know you are a substantial distance from the Four Corners Area but we have members for areas more than just the 4 Corners Area. I would say that the local unit might have slipped up and did not return the e-mail. Any inquiry like this sent to our unit would be answered within 24-48 hours. That is why we have had such a significant growth in members. One thing about it is we have rallies year round in the 4 Corners Area. Granted winter time is not condusive for rallies in Colorado but in Arizona and Southern New Mexico there is excellent winter camping and you don't freeze your butt off.
Just so you know some units are pro growth.

Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748

dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
People make stuff up in the WBCCI all the time. It's a way of maintaining controll and a feeling of authority. Cann't imagine why anyone would want to join unit after running into that at a rally. It is particularly telling that a unit officer doesn't know what is and isn't a rule. Makes one subject to the manipulation of those who believe it's their club because they have always done it that way. This "insurance" issue is a prefect example. Has another who has posted on this read the policy?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
FYI just to assist the discussion.

Sec. 8 A unit member may invite a non-member Airstream recreational vehicle owner, as a prospective
Bylaws member, to attend rallies and other activities of the unit. A unit member will not invite the same non-Airstream RV owner(s) to more than one buddy rally per year. (1/17/03)
Sec.12 A. A unit, once each calendar year, may host a rally or caravan or combination thereof with a
Bylaws recreation vehicle club not chartered by the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc., and it may conduct, twice each calendar year, (but not more than 50% of the rallies and caravans conducted by that unit in any calendar year) a buddy rally or a buddy caravan or combination thereof to which each member of the unit may invite not more than one non-member recreation vehicle family. (7/5/02)
The non-member RV family to be invited is intended to be one, which is a prospective member, and one which does not own an Airstream. The family is invited to the buddy rally or caravan to introduce them to the WBCCI "Way of Life" and the unit members in the hope they might decide to purchase an Airstream and join the club. A buddy rally is not intended to be used by current or past WBCCI members to attend a WBCCI rally in their non-Airstream vehicles. (7/5/02)
Out for coffee!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Well done forrest. I was looking at that earlier when I made my post but couldnt figure out how to post it. Well Done.

For me the WBCCI is a great thing. and so is my local unit.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
People make stuff up in the WBCCI all the time. It's a way of maintaining controll and a feeling of authority.
The shrinks could have a field day with this sort of pronouncement!

IMHO, it is this type of delving into other's motivations, feelings, and desires that is a primary source of much discord and miscommunication. We should stick to what we can actually see, not generalize about groups based on some arbitrary criteria, and be careful not to cast judgments about the character or qualities of others.

Forrest, one of the areas that confuses folks is that the bylaws and the policies are intermingled at the source. The quote you have is chopped up a bit and that may add to the confusion. It is a good idea for anyone facing the issue to take a good objective and careful look at the blue book so they know what is constitutional, what is bylaws, and what is policy.

As in the allegations about people making stuff up, I find that when I chase down the issue it is usually from an improper understanding or interpretation. It is amazing what you can find out if you learn the background, read carefully, and listen to others to find out what they are actually trying to say.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Forrest, if that is all that is said about it, I see nothing about former WBCCI members attending a rally, especially if invited. It does say they can't attend without their Airstream, which does make sense. It is, after all, an Airstream club.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Afterall it's just camping. We should have fun. I gotta post this, a web grab off of We need to loosen up and change the authoritarian image. Has much changed through the years? Put the picture in color and it would look the same today. (thanks Leo)

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I am an Airstream owner but I know I would be turned away from a WBCCI Rally because Im not a member ,or was not invited by a member, therefore I won't waste the money to even travel to one. I have tried to contact my local ,without success,like boatdoc my e-mails have been ignored. Requests for info have been ignored. If I were to join, I would want to support my local unit therefore I would not join WDU or 4C ,no offence ment Im sure they are great units. But why would I join a unit 500 miles away.Therefore we will be content to camp at Forums Rallys, enjoy the great WBCCI members we have met and keep our $80 dues or what ever it is and use it to camp and not have to worry about rules or dress codes and the like. We are just gonna have fun campin.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Once again it evolves to an evil empire scenario. Why is this?

Roman, Your email was caught in a little thing called a spam filter. See, you never mentioned the word WDCU or WBCCI in your emails. I think you have to admit that when you came to our installation rally you were treated as if one of the family. I do not think a single person even once wondered if you were or were not a member of the club. I think you and your wife had a great time too. I know I truly enjoyed spending the day with you during our day trip to Howe caverns. I hope you will try again, or just come to another event and join in person. I also hope we can do a day trip together again some time.

Roger, I am stating this again, easy to bitch about something you do not participate in. I WILL PAY YOUR DUES, so you can bitch from a perspective of knowledge first hand. Send me your info and I will mail the check out today.

Carol, that statement with that photo was perceived by me to be the spark to get people riled up. I think you were showing those guys doing the pledge of allegiance as old hat and stiff. That we are still stiff and starched like that photo. Was that the intention? Maybe it us, the modern crop that have what the club is all about wrong. I mean, it seems we need a name change. Everyone fought so hard to stop the name change, but it should be changed. The Wally Byam Caravan Club needs to be changed to the Wally Byam Camping Club. As everyone keeps saying it is a camping club. Oh wait, it was formed by caravaners was it not? And it should be fun, but only we can have fun if we chose to. I am glad to read you joined a local unit and I hope your intense passion helps grow that unit into exactly what you want the club to be.

In this past year with the WDCU I observed many people come for open house to attend the next rally in the rig they just bought. I witnessed a fifth wheel toy hauler owner go out and buy a 64 tradewind the next week, so he could come camp with us. I have seen many non WBCCI members join on the spot or between the rallies. I think this comes from an openness and friendly group that welcomes strangers in so they can stop being strangers and start being part of the family. I think the rules are often put aside to be replaced by what is right and wrong. Most of us know what is right and what is wrong.

Randy I hope you open your arms to anyone that wants to come. That is how your unit will grow.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Photos of today's WBCCI

Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Once again it evolves to an evil empire scenario. Why is this?

Carol, that statement with that photo was perceived by me to be the spark to get people riled up. I think you were showing those guys doing the pledge of allegiance as old hat and stiff. That we are still stiff and starched like that photo. Was that the intention?
Want to see a better image of the club's makeup take a look at page 24 of the November Blue Beret. That's the mix that is going on and most of the faces I see when people like the club. Also the front cover photo is a much better representation of the club than the photo posted by Carol.
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #26
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
A 4CU rally...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	71654  

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon

That's a great photo and it's good to see some a "younger unit" grow and thrive. I just wish I was closer to you folks.
ronstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin

Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
A 4CU rally...
Not a flag carrying, beret wearer in the group but gee look all WBCCI members! That's the way our rallies look in WI. Hey don't get me wrong we have our whit shirted, flag carrying beret wearers too, but the last time I check most were not into the club politics and might even like us non-traditional Airstream owners. Heck they even like us Vintage Guys!

Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote