Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sad to see. Hope it turns around.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, the problem with the figures is that they show what we might call "ghost" members: Folks who show up once in a blue moon, primarily for a luncheon, at best. The figures would be next to impossible to come by, but perhaps more reliable figures to show the health of a unit would be their yearly average number of participants in rallies.

Just dreamin' ...

Lynn

Old 12-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
A little background...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I just read that the Denver Unit is looking into the feasibility of mearging the Wyoming Unit into their unit. This was stated in the newsleter for the Denver, CO Unit. Does this mean that Wyoming is close to being on the endangered list?
Within the last couple of years, the Wyoming Unit has "held steady" with it's membership numbers. However, as Lynn stated, a large number of these are lifetime members from the once very active Unit which hosts the longest continually running National Rally. These lifetime members are becoming less & less involved as they are age out, loose a spouse or are not able to travel/host as they once did. Not because they are not willing so much as they are not able. Some don't even have their Airstreams any longer and attend the rallies but stay in motel rooms. Another handful are non-local out-of-state members who have found a home with this Unit. The actual planning and running of the Unit's activities has been done for a couple of years by two or three folks. This has become an issue for the few and the WY Unit President (2nd term) has asked the Denver Unit to consider helping them with the planning of their long-standing historical Antelope rally and the other events they have planned, with the possibility of merging the two Units. For the last couple of years, most of the WY Unit Rallies have been sanctioned "National Rallies" to draw attendance from a broader membership base due to the limited draw in the sparsely Airstream populated Wyoming.

As President in 2005, I attended the Antelope Rally. It is a wonderful history laden event that I was thrilled to participate in. It is focused around Antelope hunting and is very well attended (25 or so trailers in 2005)..I am not a hunter, but still thoroughly enjoyed myself. The folks that plan it and come out for it are wonderful and they realize they need help in order for this tradition to survive. In 2005, the President was an Arizona resident - the current President is a WY resident and on his second term. He is determined to keep the tradition alive and is asking for help.

The DenCO committee is being spearheaded to analyse the options of taking on the rallies and the Wyoming Unit's commitments. Unfortuantely, this scenario may be playing out in several Regions, not just here - at least they recognize the situation and are trying to figure out a way to survive...it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Unhappy 2 endangered now extinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
After being contacted by a member asking me how many WBCCI Units have under 20 members and compiling the info for him,I thought it would be helpful to provide it for everyone.
I hope this info can help shed some light on the units which MAY be on the endangered species list.Of course all units are different and some of these units may be doing just fine.
I do not have all my data on spreadsheet.It is all done the old fashioned way.By hand. Keep in mind that these numbers are prone to human error(although I am confident of them being fairly accurate)and the fact the info is only as accurate as what is printed in the directory.Associate memberships are not included as I do not have access to this info.
Here are the units which have under 20 members as per the 2006 directory.

WBCCI Units with membership under 20
Members....Unit
19......#106-Texas Plains
17......#122-Canadian Atlantic
17......#129-Florida Sun Coast
16.......#43-Indiana Dunes
16.......#54-Midwest
16.......#85-Mohican Valley of Ohio
16......#123-Manitoba Unit
15.......#70-Berkshire NY
15.......#94-South Dakota
15......#149-Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
14.......#96-Memphis Tennesee
14......#171-North Iowa
13......#115-Appalachian WV
13......#145-North Dakota Peace Garden
13......#163-Northern Michigan
12.......#33-South Georgia
12.......#82-Mahoning Valley Ohio
10......#102-Texas Big country
9......#108-Utah
9......#132-Cadiz Highlands Ohio
As you can see,there are 20 units with membership under 20 members.

All the best,
I just received my WBCCI 2007 Directory today (January 30th).Better late than never.In looking through the Unit listings it appears we have 1 new unit (#9 Heart of Texas) and we have had 4 more units go under.
Two of the units on the list above and are no longer endangered but are now extinct.They were Unit#163 Northern Michigan and Unit#102 Texas Big Country.
The other two units that folded last year don't even appear on the list.They were Unit#6 Southern California(34 members in the 1996 Directory)and Unit#87 Toledo Ohio(26 members in the 2006 Directory).
This is just to undate those interested.I follow the club fairly closely and I didn't know we lost 4 units and had to check for myself.I would have hoped that this kind of information would have been available in the Blue Beret under club news just to keep the membership informed.
Unless I missed it,it would also have been great to have some info in the Blue Beret about the new Heart of Texas Unit.In addition,it would also be informative to be supplied with accurate membership information from Home Office.I have made this suggestion on the WBCCI website.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Streamer, I'll admit to being thick so... How can you tell how many members are in a Unit. Are you using a membership directory?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Streamer, I'll admit to being thick so... How can you tell how many members are in a Unit. Are you using a membership directory?
Believe it or not,I manually go through each individual membership listing in the directory and tally them up.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Believe it or not,I manually go through each individual membership listing in the directory and tally them up.
Holy Schmoly! I'll be sending you a PM and karma.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
I just received my WBCCI 2007 Directory today (January 30th).Better late than never.In looking through the Unit listings it appears we have 1 new unit (#9 Heart of Texas) and we have had 4 more units go under.
Two of the units on the list above and are no longer endangered but are now extinct.They were Unit#163 Northern Michigan and Unit#102 Texas Big Country.
The other two units that folded last year don't even appear on the list.They were Unit#6 Southern California(34 members in the 1996 Directory)and Unit#87 Toledo Ohio(26 members in the 2006 Directory).
This is just to undate those interested.I follow the club fairly closely and I didn't know we lost 4 units and had to check for myself.I would have hoped that this kind of information would have been available in the Blue Beret under club news just to keep the membership informed.
Unless I missed it,it would also have been great to have some info in the Blue Beret about the new Heart of Texas Unit.In addition,it would also be informative to be supplied with accurate membership information from Home Office.I have made this suggestion on the WBCCI website.
I wonder what happened to Southern California?

I think I will email Jim Elmlinger and ask.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
More important than the number of unit members, is the number of people in the unit willing to serve as an officer, especially as President. Until this year I was a member in the Cleveland Ohio Unit. Very active, but pretty much everyone has served and does not want to serve again. This group may one day have to fold or combine with another unit just to find the people to willing to serve on the board...or else a radical change in how things are run will need to be made.

Scott
Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S
More important than the number of unit members, is the number of people in the unit willing to serve as an officer, especially as President. Until this year I was a member in the Cleveland Ohio Unit. Very active, but pretty much everyone has served and does not want to serve again. This group may one day have to fold or combine with another unit just to find the people to willing to serve on the board...or else a radical change in how things are run will need to be made.

Scott
That is very true and in my opinion one of the primary causes for the loss of units.The club is one quarter the size it was in the mid 70's.Most units are much smaller than they used to be and several units currently face the issue you outlined above.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
I wonder what happened to Southern California?

I think I will email Jim Elmlinger and ask.

Bill
I emailed Jim Elmlinger and he responded quickly with the following reply: "At the Region 12 Rally in Oct. they presented the Region 12 Board with a letter of dissolution. stating that as of Dec 31, 2006, the unit had voted to dissolve. We accepted the letter with great regret. I believe most, if not all, of the former So Cal Unit members have joined other Units."

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
I emailed Jim Elmlinger and he responded quickly with the following reply: "At the Region 12 Rally in Oct. they presented the Region 12 Board with a letter of dissolution. stating that as of Dec 31, 2006, the unit had voted to dissolve. We accepted the letter with great regret. I believe most, if not all, of the former So Cal Unit members have joined other Units."

Bill
Thanks for the update Bill.It's really too bad a unit of that size and in that part of the country would vote to dissolve. I wonder if the reason for dissolution was the lack of people to fill the officer positions.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Thanks for the update Bill.It's really too bad a unit of that size and in that part of the country would vote to dissolve. I wonder if the reason for dissolution was the lack of people to fill the officer positions.
I had a followup question regarding the number of members at dissolution, but have not received a reply.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
I had a followup question regarding the number of members at dissolution, but have not received a reply.

Bill
Well there were 34 in the 2006 directory and doing a quick check of 11 members of that unit 6 did not renew or at least are not in the 2007 directory.I know cutoff for the directory is November and the unit dissolved in December but of the 11 I checked 5 made it into the 2007 Directory.A couple became MAL's,some to other California units of the one's I checked.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083