Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Fit in?

Upon buying our new A/S,we excitedly joined WBCCI.We were lead to an A/S group in Georgia,where we spent 5 fitful years of 6:59 am breakfast rallies,dog discrimination,GOSSIP to turn your stomach,daily 'bad biker' comments,racism,and general OLD-age grumpy-ism.When the old crew ousted our young friends there,We left this 'haven' and help start the greatest WBCCI unit yet!(SECU-012)!Join the WBCCI,and become active unit members to a club that enjoys seeing you!And to our dear friend AWCHIEF,we value your company on our events.Ya'll come now,Ya hear!

Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I think it was 1988, our first AS.

We were on the road in the Adirondack region of NYS. Saw this huge field full of AS's, we decided to stop.
The 'Frantic Banana' needed a panel repair and I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn something.
Someone who looked in charge, with a beanie, vest and walkie talkie in hand said we weren't allowed on the field but could park right where we were and walk in.

I think it may have been the name and the Peace sign on the rear window..

We found our niche off the beet'n path, so all ended well....with no 'hook-up's'.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I think it may have been the name and the Peace sign on the rear window.
Some WBCCI events are WBCCI-member-only, and non-members aren't invited even if they own an Airstream. This is especially true for events that have limited attendance, waiting lists, and high fees paid up-front. It's not necessarily rudeness to turn you away if they paid a small fortune to be there and you didn't. Though it IS rude if they don't explain WHY they're turning you away…

Other WBCCI events are "buddy" events where a member can invite a non-member Airstream owner to attend, either with the non-member's rally fee paid by their host or by the unit itself from their recruitment budget.

And if you just happen to be a non-member camped at the same campground at the same time a WBCCI rally is being held, most Units that I'm aware of would send someone over and ask you to come join in for happy hour at least— peace sign in the window or not— even if they didn't necessarily invite you to the tours, dinners, or whatever events that they had to pay to attend.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

...."It's not necessarily rudeness..."

WADR....you had to have been there.
I can understand the exclusivity, but not the single-minded no exception rule, especially after explaining why we had stopped.
It could have been just the rong person at the rong time with no hospitality gene.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Mississippi Unit allows non-WBCCI members to attend rallies to see what it's like. If they join, the first rally fees are waved, essentially making the first rally free.
Do all units do this?
And, it's not beanies...
It's berets...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
And, it's not beanies...
It's berets...
I call my beret a beanie, just to be sure I don't take it too seriously. Or at least I did up until I lost it. Since berets have pretty much become optional wear, I probably won't bother to replace it.

Berets are the least practical form of headgear ever invented anyway, so I call that progress…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't even have a beanie/beret-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The Mississippi Unit allows non-WBCCI members to attend rallies to see what it's like. If they join, the first rally fees are waved, essentially making the first rally free.
Do all units do this?

The Kentucky Unit also follows the same logic as the the Mississippi Unit when it come to inviting other Airstreamers.

When another Airstream pulls into a campground someone will typically will take time to meet them and invite them to a potluck dinner or just join us around the evening campfire.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Yes, you need to give it a try. We are too busy for everything, but those we make it to are great. I all ways remember pulling into a Florida campsite and before I could get backed in being invited to a Club "happy hour". We spent a lot of time with this group and had a wonderful time. We have enjoyed, really enjoyed, some Rallies.

It does not cost a lot, you need to try it. Also Alumapalousa.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
I don't understand the need for the big red numbers ... just for the sake of the numbers. To each his / her own. We did not even put the numbers on our new AS at first - simply on a placard that came out as needed. We have been members of two different units... one where although we were warmly welcomed, we simply did not fit in; and, another unit also with welcoming folks but with whom we had much, much more in common. Give it a try!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Mefly the big red numbers served a purpose in the day. Membership identification and ability to locate you in a large group setting. Still serves those purposes but more a homage to tradition now.

We have ours but didn't put them on yet.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
We've had ours for about 6 years but never put them on. We were members of our local unit but it was 3 or 4 years before we were able to attend a rally. We had a great time and the people were all very friendly and inviting. If we joined a unit and the people were "stuffy " we wouldn't go back. We have a primary unit and auxiliary members of another unit which is another friendly group.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We were newbies just about 2 years ago.

The first thing I learned is that there are no strangers in an RV park! And I'm an introvert!

We've seen young and old, kids and no kids, retired and not retired, full timers and week Enders, dogs and no dogs - you name it, if they love the outdoors they're out there. So don't let being "different" stop you because you aren't!

So are you having fun? If so, who cares. You'll fit in great - just go travel!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I found the numbers make the initial meeting with other WBCCI members in a public campsite easier, since we can check who the owners are before walking up, and the numbers have opened a door to conversations on the road that might never have happened. That being said, lots of airstreamers who never join the organization simply walk up and ask about my rig. That's the wonder of an Airstream.
JCW