Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rick,

The 13 days is easily confirmed. Get a copy of the International budget and divide the camp site cost, a separate line item, by 15 and then by then number of budgeted attendees and you get 13 days average. At the July 5 IBT meeting, it was mentioned that WBCCI will only pay for the days occupied and that there is a schedule calculating the number of trailers/motorhomes on site each day. I have requested a copy of that schedule but it has not been provided.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
As I understand it, the campsites at the rally cost the club $15.00. The rally lasts seven days if you are not an early worker. I have been told, but can't confirm . that there is a charge for 13 days camping built into the rally fee.. If correct this would pay for the early workers camping,
This would make sense since the full hook up rallies cost $200. + more than when 3 amp was available, but the actual seven day camping cost would be only $ 105..
In addition they get Pancakes every morning and other perks. Some early attendees also get fancy meals (presidents appreciation dinner etc) at our expense.
We, on the other hand pay $70 a day and don't even get a snack.

Howie, see you at the bash
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapley3 View Post
You should be a ghost writer for the Treasurer. I'm still laughing at his 2011 International Rally budget based on 825 units.
Don't blame the treasurer. The rally budget was the work of the International President. I have it on good authority (I can't say who) that he was begged to form a more realistic budget with less front-end loading. Apparently, the IP currently can do pretty much as he pleases regarding the rally budget.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It will be reported at the Mid Winter Meeting that as of Dec 2010 there was a net reduction in membership of 414 members.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It will be reported at the Mid Winter Meeting that as of Dec 2010 there was a net reduction in membership of 414 members.
About a quarter of the no-longer-present were from Region 9.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #25
hutch309.2

1983 34' Limited
Amherstburg , Ontario
It just goes to show you when a Region Presidents doesn't listen to the membership in his or her Region, then the end result are non-renewal for various reasons. One comes to mind, we have always done it this way.
hutch309.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
As the membership continues to shrink, we committed to $5000 this year and $15000 next year for a marketing firm. To pay this requires the dues of 230 members so to make this a worth while expenditure it has to bring big results.
I am not questioning the competency of the marketing folks, however it seems to me that the proper approach would be to fix the problems the club has instead of spending another $15k for some one to try to convince us that all is wonderful.
There is little or no need for these people. The club already has 6000? potential marketers if they are happy campers. It is hard to promote an organization to potential new members when many of us are trying to decide whether to dump in one more years dues ourselves.
I will be looking forward to hearing the marketing committee report from the IBT.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
A number of non-renewers were the result of their age and not wanting the risk of towing a trailer anymore. A lot of the younger folks are probably scared off by all the bickering back and forth. Just my thoughts.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
A number of non-renewers were the result of their age and not wanting the risk of towing a trailer anymore. A lot of the younger folks are probably scared off by all the bickering back and forth. Just my thoughts.
Duh....yeah....not even considering it.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #29
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Out of a dozen non-renewals, there was only one "age out" in our unit Most were folks who we never saw. They didn't come to rallies or luncheons.

Lets face it. We go out and recruit members and new Airstream owners are likely to join the club. They are all initially gung ho, but they lead busy lives. Possibly one in five will enjoy the club and stick. The rest pay dues for a year or two and maybe come to an event once or not at all. Then they drop out. That's the way it works whether we like it or not. This time, the economy has accelerated the drop outs.

All of the marketing in the world is not going to change this .
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #30
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
...or perhaps, maybe a young family joins. They pay their dues, and attend every single rally their Unit holds(they are fortunate to have a Unit that holds only weekend rallies), they go to other Units rallies and have a great time. They just pay their dues blindly and love the heck out of their little WBCCI experience. Perhaps after a few years of doing every unit rally, they decide to go to the grand International rally that is advertised month after month in the Blue Beret. The Grand Daddy of all rallies, for photos of what the International was like in the 60's and 70's, are shown a lot. Maybe a IBT President comes by the families Unit rallies and he or she personally tell you how you need to come. Say this young family coughs up the huge cost for the week at said International, they take time off of work, fill the tank twice a day and tow their rig all the way to the middle of the country to be a part of this Grand event. Say, it is a three day drive to the International. Now this young family must take a week off for travel and a week to stay.(Just for the record, two weeks is the most vacation, that most of the working class people get for the entire year). The family gets there and realizes they just spent all their vacation time and thousands of dollars for gas, food, and the $460 honor of parking in a huge parking lot. Now hopefully this young family does not open their eyes too wide. While they pay full fair for a week in a parking lot, many there are volunteering for weeks before the rally starts, they get pancake breakfasts and "thank you lunches" while other attend "past Presidents dinners" and "incoming Presidents cocktails" all payed for by those attending the rally. Sure there are some wonderful talks about how you can better serve the club. The Sky Med talks every hour on the hour are always stimulating. But in reality, the common man gets nothing for the huge expense he has payed. Many are blind to all this, and they are content in their ignorance. Maybe seeing this imbalance, first hand might just offend some. Just possibly, they might say "why should I be paying for some past President steak and martini and not even get a lousy pancake one morning? Couldn't they even put $6.50 out for a caterer to serve BBQ pork sandwich and a bag of chips?" Not even one meal meal for the common people paying the majority of the event cost.
Perhaps, people look at the value of return for the dollar. Marketing is never going to solve the issues currently faced by the WBCCI. Providing the people something of value will. When people start getting a good value, they will come back around. It is unfortunate that this years membership numbers will most likely not just just send a message, it will likely cause some to realize the engine to out of steam.
I predict Howie's number of 414 is off by 1000.

Not only did the International experience leave me disappointed and taken advantage of, it killed my club experience. I was part of organizing a caravan out. Of the 14 in our group, only one said they might go to another International. I spent $2487.94 during the two weeks. This entire year, 10 gatherings/ rallies, 4 family weekends, gas, food, fees has added up to $2143.54.
Value for the money....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Since this is a NET number, it would be interesting to know how many current members did not renew?. How many new members signed up.?

My guess is the exodus of current members is MUCH larger than implied by the NET number.
I also wonder how many of the new members will be around in 2 years?
The new member listing in the BB usually runs a couple pages so the influx is not too bad.
Maybe we need an exit poll of those leaving??
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I should have published the new members as well. New members are 376.

Current membership stands at 5467 down from 5881. A decrease of 7.1%

Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Question Fun with numbers

Quote:
Current membership stands at 5467 down from 5881. A decrease of 7.1%
OK, now we are down to the nub of the problem. The official number of members as of the 2010 International Rally was 6449.

5467 is 982 members fewer than 6449.

So where did the figure of 5881 come from? Is that the number as of December 2009?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #34
Contributing Member

Quote:
I should have published the new members as well. New members are 399.
Based on my experience as a unit officer and newsletter editor, it is written in stone that less than one in five of those new members will still be a member a couple of years from now. In the mean time, more than that number will "age out" or leave in disgust.

Like 62overlander, I have attended my last International rally. I do not encourage others to attend. I'm a very slow learner or I would have stopped attending the International rally after the first or second time. While I see them slowly backing off on the perks for the chosen few, it is too little and too late for me.

Alumapalooza, here I come.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Howie, If the change in members went from 5881 to 5467 with a loss of 414 but gained 376 than should the number be 5843? A loss of only 38 members? Not sure I follow the math here. This must be "fuzzy math" so favored by politicians. Also how does this official number come about? I was listed in last years BB and counted as a member even though I asked for, and received my dues back. I know of others that also fell into this grey area. There are often many members that wait till the directory is published before they renew. I think in March, present and past members will know what the real numbers are.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #36
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
discussing the correct numbers

I would first presume that Cindy Reed is the authoritative source as to "membership numbers" at any given time of the year.

on 10 December 2010, in response to my question "what are the numbers on membership renewal?"

Cindy's response was -

Hello Joseph,

We currently have 5531 members who have renewed; however, more will be received in upcoming months as well as new memberships.

Cindy

for more detail, or more up-to-date information, I'd try Cindy Reed.

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Question

Seriously was thinking of not re-newing membership this year. Not necessarily cause of the 10$ increase, and definately not age [will be 68 next week.] But hated to quit only cause of the friendships and the LOCAL rallys. But will have to think it over next year. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes, Jackson Center will have the current number of Paid Members and yes that number increases through out the year, as it can not reflect deaths or members that quite during the year, only renewals will show that next year . The numbers I have posted are from the membership chairman's report to the President dated Jan 2010.

The indication is clear that membership is not going UP marketing or no marketing.

As I age out at 70 I will spend my fuel money going to the Can Opener and the Birthday Bash.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
as a nomad newbie... YES... all this talk of current members possibly backing out of the Wally club doesn't make it appealing to us who are thinking about joining in the new year... y'all are making it sound like a money pit
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Money pit? Maybe, but really what it comes down to is leadership of the club makes decisions that seem not to be in the club's best interests, but rather lead to negative results, leaving many of us regular member scratching our heads thinking "what the heck are they doing?" The club itself is full of good people.
What is being alluded to here is the club's marketing committee who was given a budget of $15,000 to er, market the club. What they are actually do is not fully understood. We do know they are posting the Blue Beret online and helping to send out messages to the membership with Constant Contact. They also have posted a few ads here and there.
When it comes to International, I am not sure what "marketing" is being done beyond having Region leaders tour around (on the club's dime) to sell the International rally to the club member at unit rallies and luncheons. All of this traveling around by region leaders is a drain on club funds and there is ways to do this which is more cost effective.
For example, if the purpose of the marketing committee is indeed to sell International to the membership, fine - that can be done by producing a nice package that can be used at the unit level to promote it - in fact, with things like e-mail and web infrastructure, this can be done on the cheap!
I think that the purpose of the marketing committee is/was supposed to be to MARKET the club to the outside world, not to promote the club TO the club....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote