Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1000+ in "1986" Think about it!!!

HowieE,

With your post, it is time to start asking people to help step-up and let other members know about the problem. I can not go at this alone, nor should I. I need help from people within the different Units and Regions and even Intra-Clubs to help carry the water. We as a group will need members to get the word out, after we get the wording down for a petition, we’ll need members to as people to sign it, etc… and I’m sure many other things along the way.

In many ways, I feel this is even more important than the “Name Change” issue and the “MOHO” issues a few years ago. Because if we keep allowing them to spend into the red, everyone knows a business, non-profit, household, etc… can only do that for so long before the doors must be shut or bankruptcy happens. Take your pick?

I agree with the thought, that we need a clear and concise message to both the members of whom we will need their signature to call the meeting “and” the message to the IBT of the changes of which the membership is calling for, which to me are very much the same.

“Should the membership of the WBCCI stop reimbursements to the IBT/EC7 for travel in the amount of $125,000.00 a year and require the WBCCI International Rally to be a “Self funding Rally and to pay for itself” until the WBCCI once again has a balanced budget?” The answer: “YES”

I’m not saying the above should be the exact wording, but you get my point. Do I understand the need to reimburse some members of the IBT for travel done to find a site for International, sign contracts, etc… YES!! They should be reimbursed for “THAT” travel, but not for travel to go around the country promoting Region, Special Event and the International Rallies!!

I’m sure someone with a much better understanding of the English language could do a much better job as to the wording of what should be put forth than I can.

So to all watching this thread, if you care about your club and don’t mind helping get the word out and asking members to sign a petition, we need your help! I too, am tired of the lack of leadership, I too, am tired of the disconnect between the leadership and the membership, I too, am tired of the beating my head against the wall, but, we have a chance this time to use the WBCCI Constitution and its rules for our side.

I don’t know the membership numbers, but the year Article IX, Section 2 was updated was in “1986”. That year, at Boise, ID “3466” members/trailers were at the WBCCI International Rally. My guess, we had close to 20,000+ members at that time. So, if at “THAT TIME” it took about 5% of the total membership to call a “Special Meeting” the equivalent number today (with a membership of 6,000) would be about “300” members!!! Oh, Yeh, THINK ABOUT IT!!! The 1,000 number came at a time when the WBCCI had “VERY HIGH NUMBERS” in membership!!!

I would even suggest Article IX, Section 2 be changed to what ever the “percentage” a 1000 was of the total membership in 1986!! It was 5% so be it, if it was 10% that’s fine too!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Online Petition

I did a Google search for online petitions. There's at least three that appear to be legit and useful and used by others. That being said, I am volunteering myself to set up the online petition and likely coordinate the effort to get the word out (beyond this thread) that the petition exists. There are two things that need to be handled before I can do this, though:

1. Someone with more legal and/or WBCCI bylaws experience than me...is there anything that prevents a petition in online / electronic form from being considered official? I'd hate to go through all the effort only to have someone in the IBT find a loophole that throws all our efforts out.

2. All of the petition sites require a statement for the petition. Once this is set and the petition is created, it cannot be changed as it might alter one's agreement of putting a signature on it. So, I'd like to have some discussion as to a petition statement.

Are we asking for a certain percentage of a laundry list of improvements to be implemented, i.e. 75% of Rob's 26 points? Should we make a "Top 10" and demand 100% of the 10?

What are the consequences? The signers say that they will not renew their WBCCI membership at the next interval? The signers will hold funds in escrow (would be further complicated as it will require the buy-in of an entire unit and/or someone willing to set up an escrow account in the name of all of the signers internationally).

As soon as we agree on the statement and someone can clarify the legality of an online petition, I will set up the petition.

Edit add: I had not read the previous post by Paul before starting my own and hitting the post button. I am in no way trying to step on your toes, Paul. We were both thinking the same thing at the same time. Consider me as your helper.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Only time will tell If this is the right way to get the attention of the IBT/EC7 and to have them change the spending ways with the money of the WBCCI. Some others are going about getting control of the IBT by trying to make changes to the WBCCI Constitution via the amendment process.

I think there is a great opportunity for both efforts to work together.

I currently have someone working on the short concise wording that will be needed as part of the petition and what we are asking of the IBT/EC7 to change about the spending.

Both efforts will require many members to help get the word out.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #102
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Paul, You have My support and Kimbers as well. Point me in a direction and tell me what to do....
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Paul

I would like to amend my suggestion of randomly contacting WBCCI members and suggest that a questionnaire be sent out to all unit Officers asking if they are in support of questioning the IBTs current expenditure practices. By addressing All Officers we should get an indication if additional efforts are warranted.

This could server as an indication of the pulse of the club and hopefully bring out some influential supporters.

I am prepared to type e mail addresses to either group.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Think this thing through guys—to rejuvenate the WBCCI you might have to do deficit spending. Be careful of unintended consequences. A balanced budget can mean a lot of different things. Is that reserve fund earning money and is it interest they are spending, or principal? Nonprofits have certain IRS limits on retained capital unless it's an endowment—maybe these reserves should be shifted to an endowment where they can't be drawn on to the same extent. Is there an endowment fund and are they spending that? That might be illegal depending on how much they spend. Are all financial documents available to members and has anyone analyzed them? Does the leadership have annual or biannual audits done? If so, are they available? Do you have a CPA among you?

Gene
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #105
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Gene,

True - but then the question becomes - spend on what? Travel expenses to sell members on the International is not one of those. If 1000 people attend International this year AND we could knock that 125K off the price each member pays could knock $100 off the price each of us has to pay to attend that rally - that could easily push more to attend and so on. Knocking off $100 puts it in a more comfortable price range for many. That is just one example I think.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #106
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and even better would be getting some of that $100 savings to come back to the units to make their experience better.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #107
Certifiable

. , .
Talking Where do I sign?

Count me in!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Think this thing through guys—to rejuvenate the WBCCI you might have to do deficit spending. Be careful of unintended consequences. A balanced budget can mean a lot of different things. Is that reserve fund earning money and is it interest they are spending, or principal? Nonprofits have certain IRS limits on retained capital unless it's an endowment—maybe these reserves should be shifted to an endowment where they can't be drawn on to the same extent. Is there an endowment fund and are they spending that? That might be illegal depending on how much they spend. Are all financial documents available to members and has anyone analyzed them? Does the leadership have annual or biannual audits done? If so, are they available? Do you have a CPA among you?

Gene
Gene,

Financial statements and budgets are available for the members. Just ask Cindy Reed, I did.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Gene,

True - but then the question becomes - spend on what? Travel expenses to sell members on the International is not one of those. If 1000 people attend International this year AND we could knock that 125K off the price each member pays could knock $100 off the price each of us has to pay to attend that rally - that could easily push more to attend and so on. Knocking off $100 puts it in a more comfortable price range for many. That is just one example I think.
Tim,

The $125K comes from the WBCCI operating budget, funded by the annual dues. Eliminating the travel cost would have no effect on the cost of the International Rally.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My point is all those things have to be analyzed to come up with what's going on, and what's the best way to run the financial side of an organization. I see clearly the travel expenses issue energizes people, but it's most likely one part of financial mismanagement. Financial matters are boring to most people and travel money is not—it gets them angry. Good to use the travel $ thing to point to the overall mismanagement, but mismanagement is the issue. A copy of an audit may have some very interesting things in it. Any halfway responsible nonprofit has periodic audits done by an independent accounting firm—if they don't, another ex. of mismanagement; if its good audit, you may learn more bad stuff.

Gene
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #111
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Is the only issue to be proposed at this point is the travel expenses?

I thought there were more issues that needed to be addressed than that.

Can we start a list of issues?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #112
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Are there any volunteers that could enter the WBCCI blue book Emails into an Excel file?

If so I have mail servers that I can use to send them out.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com