Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Looks like it isn't going to be a WBCCI caravan but open to all. Perhaps because of liability issues? Posted by Rich Luhr on his blog tonight.

Quote:
Speaking of Africa, I heard from Bert Kalet today. He's organizing the Capetown to Cairo caravan in 2009. Bert told me something rather shocking: the WBCCI leadership has refused to approve the caravan. This means it will have to run as a private caravan, without the support of the Airstream club.
On one hand, this is an opportunity. Now anyone who wants to take an Airstream on the trip can go, without having to join the club. Bert says they already have 52 couples signed up for both the north- and south-bound legs. More are welcome. We are even considering it, although I have no idea how I could possibly break away for four months by 2009.
On the other hand, it's a really sad moment for the club. This was the club that, back in the 1950s under the leadership of Wally Byam, caravanned in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Central America, and around the world. Now the club is such a weak shadow of itself that a single African caravan is considered too much, and European caravans don't even take Airstreams (they rent other brands locally). They've lost the spirit of adventure that once made the club great.
If you want to have the adventure of a lifetime in Africa, send a note to me via the Contact form on this website and I'll send you the email addresses of the administrators who are organizing it.

Tour of America

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Hi Carol

I talked to Bert Kalet (CCCC organizer and wagonmaster), today on the phone about this subject. He said he can't believe the decision IBT made on the Caravan. He said it was a split vote...... one of the voters hasn't even been on a Caravan here in the USA! He's still positive about the Caravan, and will work toward it's success (with or without the WB).
'm working on getting RV solar panels to be donated so we can deploy them when parked. It's a complicated process to get everyone aligned and ready to go on this trip.......but I think it's going to come off!
We're taking our Argosy (the trailer we're taking to Africa) to Alaska in Aug/Sep for a trial run mostly boondocking in the wilderness. Maybe a trip to Perry, GA for the INT would be more in line for the type of weather we'll be encountering in Africa!

We're still counting on going!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Jim, that is going to be a trip of a lifetime! I am sure anyone with enough indomitable spirit to go caravaning through Africa would never let a thing like IBT sanction get in the way of their dream. They certainly aren't winning any popularity contests with their decision making these days. Glad to hear you aren't being put off by it. Now that you don't need to be a WBCCI member perhaps you will have more sign up.

Wow Alaska for a trail run. That's a trip I'd like to make some day.

Quote:
Maybe a trip to Perry, GA for the INT would be more in line for the type of weather we'll be encountering in Africa!
LOL! Each will have its challenges.

photography
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Luhr
Speaking of Africa, I heard from Bert Kalet today. He's organizing the Capetown to Cairo caravan in 2009. Bert told me something rather shocking: the WBCCI leadership has refused to approve the caravan. This means it will have to run as a private caravan, without the support of the Airstream club.
Well, it would be a huge challenge to pull a Four Winds motorhome out of a mud hole after it became stuck, so perhaps the IBT saw no future in this type of historical club caravan. Its just another sign of the times that the WBCCI national leadership is becoming pavement bound in order to support their style of 50 amp "camping".
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm guessing it's a liabilty issue ~

WBCCI sanctioned caravans include insurance under the WBCCI umbrella policy. An international caravan of this sort would certainly have an effect on the club's rates overall for the few that will participate.

Sounds like an interesting experience - lots of stories will come out of it, that's for sure...one I will certainly be watching unfold. Enjoy!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
If it is a liability issue- -it is one sided.
That problem was anticipated and is being resolved. The following is from Bert’s newsletter:

“Cindy Reed at the Airstream Club Headquarters has received a tentative quotation from the insurance company and has had the lawyer develop a draft agreement and release letter for us to sign which will ensure that we all understand that the club and caravan leaders (etc., etc.) are not responsible for liability and that we all as participants cannot sue them or anyone else in the event of accidents, etc.”
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
_

. , .
looking for logic in votes...

trying to sort out why 7 nit wits voted as they did is folly...

these are the SAME people that screwed up adding 1 word to the club name,

and now hope to add sob products to the club...

wouldn't surprise me if some of them have school board experience...

voting no on e-vo-lu-tion...

this caravan isn't much different than the one that went to the panama canal 6-7 years ago...

in fact it IS the same caravan leader....

with the same sort of issues, except for the boat ride over...

i'm happy it isn't a wb endorsed event,

it will be an airstream event with traveling a/s people involved.

no doubt before it actually happens a new group of nit wit officers will come begging...

and want to promote it.

we are free now to have sponsors and support that go far beyond

the tired chewed pith of a club long since extinct.

also any color numbers we choose and hats and flags too!

they may own the name, but wally would tell them where to stick it...

membership in the wbcci has become an em barr ass ment.

caravan club international? hardly....

how about white box roosters association or asphalt camping club....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Weather Report for International

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
I talked to Bert Kalet (CCCC organizer and wagonmaster), today on the phone about this subject. He said he can't believe the decision IBT made on the Caravan. Maybe a trip to Perry, GA for the INT would be more in line for the type of weather we'll be encountering in Africa!
It sounds as though the weather in Perry, GA will be cold and uninviting, at least at the International, even in July. Maybe they should call it something other than "International" considering the current voting record. How about the "Thor National", that should get some support?

For those who are going to Africa with an Airstream.....you are carrying the spirit, with or without the WBCCI's formal support.

WBCCI #8228 still in support of the dream.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
It's called the Wally Byam Caravan Club International. It's not an RV Association or Organization or LLC.

Say the words out loud! They have meaning!

Capetown to Cairo is an opportunity.

Are there risks involved? Of course. But c'mon.

IMO, the WBCCI is missing out on a marketing bonanza and the IBT has decided once again to make the club even more irrelevant. By their own actions, the IBT consistently tells the owners of Airstreams that they do not want to be leaders.

Once again, the IBT has snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory.

For the love of Wally, please resign!
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
The good news is that I heard there will be a consolation "African themed" luncheon at the Golden Corral and you can bring your Mandalay motorhome, too. I hope it's in a safe part of town...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
ROFL!!!!

photography
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Certifiable

. , .
Comedy/Tragedy

How many Acts are there in this Greek play?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #13
Certifiable

. , .
Airstream will be fine too. They'll sell their product. The IBT, however, has just figured out yet one more way to lose more of its members. Way to go...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
No support to WBCCI for International either.. it goes both ways!

Dear WBCCI,

It is with sad regret that I have to cancel my 2007 International Rally registration. As I understand, I have to formally notify via letter correspondence my desire to withdraw from the rally. I am enclosing my 2007 International Rally registration coupon as required. I also understand that I will be charged a $25 fee, and will lose the $135 for the 30A electric fee.

My reasoning to cancel is based upon the WBCCI IBT Executive Committees decision to not support the 2009 Capetown to Cairo Caravan. If the WBCCI can not support that (what the WBCCI was founded on – a CARAVAN!), then I can not support the WBCCI International. I know, what is one person. IT IS NOT JUST ONE PERSON! Many feel this way – and I bet I am not the first – more will do so! I pay $55 a year for membership, and then $510 for an International Rally to support the WBCCI; and then the WBCCI can not support its members on a 50th Anniversary event? I think Bert and Roger have done all that has been asked by the WBCCI, and even more so – and then the WBCCI IBT EC says No. Poll the membership – I bet majority is willing to support it! If you feel you can’t – maybe the WBCCI should seriously consider dropping the “I” - it stands for International right? Or is it Isolated?

At this time, I will remain a WBCCI member. I had serious thoughts on dropping my 6 years of membership all together. I am remaining for two reasons. 1. The camaraderie of the Washington DC Unit of which I am the 2nd Vice President – this Unit still has the Spirit of Adventure that started it all!, and 2) I enjoy being a member of the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) and will continue to do so! Just so you know – these are the only reasons I am remaining a WBCCI member!

In the letter to Bert Kalet and Roger Wilson, the WBCCI International President, Don Schaffer, states that the WBCCI has never promoted a caravan of this type. What? Sure, Wally was still running the show, but the WBCCI, started in 1955, ran many Caravans in the late fifties. They were done from then to now, with and without Wally. As a young Airstreamer, third generation WBCCIer, (age 37) with a family, and member in good standing, I say “It should!!!”

I think the WBCCI has lost the bubble on what Airstreaming is all about! Why support the Caravan? The WBCCI has a lot to gain from it. The advertising of the WBCCI on the international stage will attract like minded people looking for the sense of adventure. I truly believe the sense of adventure in the WBCCI has become tepid in the group and is increasingly looking less like the club Wally envisioned. What would Wally have said if his own club stated, “ We are not supporting you Wally” ? He’s no doubt rolling over in his grave right now.

I am embarrassed by the IBT EC decision not to support Bert and Roger’s African Caravan. The WBCCI, being risk averse, is missing out on the adventure spirit that started it all – a great opportunity for some much needed press! I will remain a member – albeit, dis-heartedly at the moment. When dues time comes up, re-newing will be a hard decision that I will have to weigh. It will depend on what the club leadership does this year at International. If the club continues in what I consider the wrong direction, I may have to resign and drop all-together – that remains to be decided upon. In addition – I VOTE NO on the MH issue!

Recall two points of Wally Byam’s creed:

1. To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow... over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts... to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.

2. To play some part in promoting international goodwill and understanding among the peoples of the world through person-to-person contact.

Concerned Member,
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Well, I guess this is an example of an engaged member. Voting with your feet and check book make a powerful statement.

Last year when the name change was on the table, I wrote an letter to my unit officers. They had been unaware of the proposal and were receptive and surprised to learn of it. I'm getting out my pencil again and encourageing my unit to weigh in at WBCCI central with their opinion about the Capetown to Cairo caravan.

For local units struggling to attrack members and actively trying to address waning membership, the decision of the WBCCI to withhold club support of the best adventure to come down the pike for years, should be alarming.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Great letter Rob,
I was shocked to read about the WBCCI's position on the Caravan...
I am sure we will talk about this at the Cherry Blossom Rally!
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Have you ever wondered where the Mexican unit went. WBCCI would not support them having rallys in Mexico. They had to have rallys in the U.S. or not at all. They shut down the unit!
What's next, Canada? Lets get rid of the "I" and "C" in WBCCI.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
It is with sad regret that I have to cancel my 2007 International Rally registration
kudos for taking this position robandzoe....

last week, i wanted to suggest to members supporting the africa caravan

and opposed to the moho motion,

that withdrawing from the international is a powerful expression.

your action and your letter ROCK!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
kudos for taking this position robandzoe....

last week, i wanted to suggest to members supporting the africa caravan

and opposed to the moho motion,

that withdrawing from the international is a powerful expression.

your letter ROCKS!

cheers
2air'
The entire world knows not to upset a US Marine, and now the IBT does also. I hope they listen.

Way to go Rob.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
Certifiable

. , .

THE WALLY BYAM CREED
"In the heart of these words is an entire life's dream. To those of you who find in the promise of these words your promise, I bequeath this creed... my dream belongs to you." ---- Wally Byam
To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel with all the comforts of home.
To provide a more satisfying, meaningful way of travel that offers complete travel independence, wherever and whenever you choose to go or stay.
To keep alive and make real an enduring promise of high adventure and faraway lands ... of rediscovering old places and new interests.
To open a whole world of new experiences ... a new dimension in enjoyment where travel adventure and good fellowship are your constant companions.
To encourage clubs and rallies that provide an endless source of friendships, travel fun and personal expressions.
To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow ... over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts ... to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.
To play some part in promoting international good will and understanding among peoples of the world through person-to-person contact.
To refine and perfect our product by continuous travel-testing over the highways and by ways of the world.
To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow dreams come true.